Outlander Questions 10/31/2016 02:39 PM CDT
I launched Outlander, and have some observations and questions.

Observations:

1) I really like the look & feel. Nice work with the interface.
2) There ought to be a place where people who are pleased with the product can make donations. This seems to be real work, and since we benefit from that, we should be able to add what we can.

Questions:

Highlights -- creating one was easy, but if it is possible to change the color from the preset blue, I can't figure that out. Is this a user-adjustable item?
Highlights -- Are sound alerts possible? Most rooms in game are pretty quiet, but I've noticed with the festival we can get a good sized crowd going. Scroll can move pretty fast and so a identifiable sound alerts would help in combination with the visual highlight.

Scripts -- I appreciated the link to the scripts, but was confused how to load them in and use them. How is this done?
Scripts -- I think you mentioned that you were working to make adjustments that would allow the use of scripts written for Genie to be used in Outlander. Is that done or in progress?

Automapper -- to launch the AM window, a box pops up and is looking for me to select a datafile (I think). Presumably I have to get that from somewhere. Where is that?

Other Windows -- Are other windows possible (e.g., container contents, conversations, etc.)? And if so, how is that done?

Thank you for the very good work.

- Moon Mage, Cleric, Empath, Trader mostly
Re: Outlander Questions 10/31/2016 04:24 PM CDT
I'm not the designer, but I can answer some of your questions.

> Scripts -- I appreciated the link to the scripts, but was confused how to load them in and use them. How is this done?

Put the .cmd file in Documents\Outlander\Scripts. Then you run them by typing .scriptname into the game. So .braid or .repair, for example.

> Scripts -- I think you mentioned that you were working to make adjustments that would allow the use of scripts written for Genie to be used in Outlander. Is that done or in progress?

There are still some features that Genie scripting has that Outlander lacks, so sophisticated Genie scripts won't run. The simpler ones will, though. It's getting closer to Genie, though.

> Automapper -- to launch the AM window, a box pops up and is looking for me to select a datafile (I think). Presumably I have to get that from somewhere. Where is that?

There are multiple ways to go about this, but this is probably simplest. Download the maps here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/geniemapsfordr/
Then unzip them into Documents\Outlander. So you should have a folder Documents\Outlander\Maps that contains a bunch of .xml files when you're done. Now you should be able to just open the automap without further effort.

> Other Windows -- Are other windows possible (e.g., container contents, conversations, etc.)? And if so, how is that done?

I know that they're possible, but I haven't taken the time to figure out how. Sorry.
Re: Outlander Questions 10/31/2016 05:26 PM CDT

These answers are very helpful.

Thank you.

Re: Outlander Questions 10/31/2016 06:28 PM CDT
>Highlights -- creating one was easy, but if it is possible to change the color from the preset blue, I can't figure that out. Is this a user-adjustable item?

Not a Mac nor Outlander user but:

https://www.mathsisfun.com/hexadecimal-decimal-colors.html

Highlights can be defined in highlights.cfg. Note that only hexadecimal color codes are supported.

example:

#highlight {#296B00} {Weapon Master}

To highlight an entire line use the folowing regex pattern:

#highlight {#FFFF00} {^.*is facing you at melee range.*$}

It sounds like it's preferable to use regex to handle highlighting if you have lots (thousands?) of custom highlights. It'll run quicker/smoother.

example:
instead of:
highlight A
highlight B
highlight C
highlight ZZZ

use:

highlight (A|B|C...ZZZ).

>windows?

#window add conversation (to add a conversation window)

You can also use #window add <name> to add any number of custom windows you want.

and:

You can make other customizations though it is not very straight forward. You unfortunately cannot do it through the UI yet. You can change font and font size, as well as configure "forwarding" text to different windows in your layout.cfg file. This file has several entries for each of your defined windows.

Each window has a fontName, fontSize, monoFontName, monoFontSize. You can change those to the font/size that you like.

Each window also has a name and a closedTarget. You can forward text from one window to another by setting the closedTarget to the name of the window you want it to go to.

I'll list some examples of what one of the window settings may look like. These values are generated by the application when your settings are saved so you would only ever want to edit these to change fonts or add a closedTarget.

Note: You will need to edit this file while Outlander is not running, otherwise your changes may get overridden when Outlander closes.

The "main" window:

{"name":"main","x":0,"timestamp":0,"monoFontName":"Menlo","y":258,"width":1021,"monoFontSize":13,"closedTarget":null,"title":"Story","showBorder":1,"visible":1,"height":432,"fontSize":14,"fontName":"Helvetica"}

And an example of forwarding the conversation window to a custom "log" window:

{"name":"conversation", "x":0,"timestamp":0,"monoFontName":"Menlo","y":0,"width":200,"monoFontSize":13,"closedTarget":"log","title":"Conversation","showBorder":1,"visible":0,"height":200,"fontSize":14,"fontName":"Helvetica"}

>more windows stuff

https://github.com/joemcbride/outlander-osx/blob/master/commands.md

#window add/show/hide/clear <name>

ex: #window add log
ex: #window hide log
#window list all will show all window ids and locations.
The output: (x,y), (height, width)
x,y being the point of the top-left corner. Height going down, width accross.

Windows:
thoughts: (0,0), (150, 438)
log: (0,149), (111, 438)
main: (0,258), (432, 1021)
logons: (1020,0), (131, 380)
death: (1020,129), (100, 380)
experience: (1020,228), (462, 380)
room: (437,0), (260, 584)
percwindow: (748,150), (148, 273)
(hidden) atmospherics: (0,0), (200, 200)
(hidden) chatter: (0,0), (200, 200)
(hidden) conversation: (0,0), (200, 200)
(hidden) familiar: (0,0), (200, 200)
(hidden) group: (0,0), (200, 200)
(hidden) inv: (0,0), (200, 200)
(hidden) ooc: (0,0), (200, 200)
(hidden) whispers: (0,0), (200, 200)
(hidden) raw: (554,286), (275, 791)
(hidden) assess: (782,502), (177, 567)
(hidden) talk: (801,306), (200, 200)

#window clear log will clear all contents of the window

>sounds

In March sounds hadn't been implemented but MCBRIDEJ had it on his to-do list. No idea if he implemented it since then. I couldn't find any release notes that announced it.

Hope this helped!

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Outlander Questions 10/31/2016 06:36 PM CDT

Thank you. That's interesting information. I will puzzle through it!

Re: Outlander Questions 10/31/2016 08:13 PM CDT
>>> It sounds like it's preferable to use regex to handle highlighting if you have lots (thousands?) of custom highlights. It'll run quicker/smoother.

If you have a large number of lines of highlights it causes the interface to lag to the point of being unusable. But if you just make them one long regex highlight it seems to work well, as you have said.

Also, I think that ^.* and .*$ are interpreted literally rather than just being interpreted to mean highlight the entire line containing the match, which really slows down the highlight engine.
Re: Outlander Questions 11/02/2016 05:54 PM CDT
>>> Scripts -- I appreciated the link to the scripts, but was confused how to load them in and use them. How is this done?

>>Put the .cmd file in Documents\Outlander\Scripts. Then you run them by typing .scriptname into the game. So .braid or .repair, for example.

Interesting, although your instructions about the automaker worked well, this did not. I've tried it step-by-step a couple of times and I still can't access a script. Odd.

I did notice an opportunity to flag bugs on the developer's site--so I think I'll put my questions there and see if he has some free time to give them a shot.

Re: Outlander Questions 11/02/2016 06:10 PM CDT
> Interesting, although your instructions about the automaker worked well, this did not. I've tried it step-by-step a couple of times and I still can't access a script. Odd.

Are they really .cmd files, or are they .txt files with the extension hidden? You can select the file and Get Info (cmd + i) to see (and change) the name and extension.
Re: Outlander Questions 11/02/2016 06:25 PM CDT
That was a good question--but I checked and they are ,cmd files.

Re: Outlander Questions 11/03/2016 07:56 AM CDT
> That was a good question--but I checked and they are ,cmd files.

I just tried downloading a script and had the same problem. So I selected all the text, copied it to a new file, and saved it. The new version ran fine. So I guess there's something wrong in the formatting or something with the downloaded version.
Re: Outlander Questions 11/03/2016 02:01 PM CDT
> I just tried downloading a script and had the same problem. So I selected all the text, copied it to a new file, and saved it. The new version ran fine. So I guess there's something wrong in the formatting or something with the downloaded version.

As a heads up, you'll probably have to do the copy/paste into TextEdit (or other editor) and save a new file if you're getting .cmd files from a friend using Windows.
Re: Outlander Questions 11/11/2016 11:11 AM CST
Thanks everyone for helping to answer questions!

- Player of Saracus

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elanthiprofiles - http://elanthiprofiles.com - Show off your numbers!
Outlander - http://outlanderapp.com - Mac game client.
Re: Outlander Questions 11/11/2016 11:24 AM CST
Sorry for the double-post.

Figured I should throw out a couple more things. You can also contact me directly at my play.net email address, on the github.com project page, or gitter chat if you run into issues or have questions. I'm a little slow at checking the forums these days.

Email: mcbridej@play.net
Chat: https://gitter.im/joemcbride/outlander-osx
Known Issues/Questions: https://github.com/joemcbride/outlander-osx/issues

> There ought to be a place where people who are pleased with the product can make donations. This seems to be real work, and since we benefit from that, we should be able to add what we can.

I do have a patreon setup and have one gracious patron currently.

https://www.patreon.com/outlander

- Player of Saracus

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elanthiprofiles - http://elanthiprofiles.com - Show off your numbers!
Outlander - http://outlanderapp.com - Mac game client.