Avalon on Mac 10/21/2016 12:53 PM CDT
I have a friend looking to come back, but she only has a Mac. I just want to confirm that Avalon can be run on the current Mac OS? Are there any tips or tricks to get it to work?

Thanks in advance...

Stavis
Re: Avalon on Mac 10/21/2016 01:58 PM CDT

> I have a friend looking to come back, but she only has a Mac. I just want to confirm that Avalon can be run on the current Mac OS? Are there any tips or tricks to get it to work?

I hear good things about lich. Depending on how old the mac is, you could also just run windows on top of it (http://www.howtogeek.com/187359/5-ways-to-run-windows-software-on-a-mac/). That'll let you use stormfront or genie or whatever your favorite tool happens to be.
Re: Avalon on Mac 10/21/2016 03:40 PM CDT
Hey, I haven't tried updating to Sierra yet, but I can confirm that Avalon (with Yasse) works on version 10.11.6. It usually takes me a little while to upgrade because I get a friend to try first explicitly to make sure Avalon will work.

>>I hear good things about lich.

The only person I ever heard of trying Lich on Avalon ended up unable to use the FE at all. I'm not saying that will always be the outcome, that's just the only piece of data I have. Yasse provides scripting abilities and is, as far as I can tell, about as good as genie's scripting, with the ability to do at least one thing I've never seen done in genie. If your friend needs help setting this up, feel free to put her in touch with me via AIM.

Her other main options are:

1) Outlander, another Mac-based FE. It's still in development and not quite to where I am personally ready to switch -- but it does have health and mana bars. https://github.com/joemcbride/outlander/

2) Use Boot Camp or virtual box to run Windows, and from there use genie or Stormfront.

- Navesi
AIM: NavesiDR
Re: Avalon on Mac 10/21/2016 03:44 PM CDT
>>2) Use Boot Camp or virtual box to run Windows, and from there use genie or Stormfront.

I've been using virtual box with a TinyXP build to run Genie for 5 years. I doubt I'll switch to something else until there's a native OS client that lets me use #goto and genie maps, or someone takes the effort to put Genie in Wine and then show me how to do it.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Avalon on Mac 10/21/2016 04:16 PM CDT
>>until there's a native OS client that lets me use #goto and genie maps

Yasse can do this, and in some ways it does it better than genie. The main downside is that you have to build your own maps, but I am always happy to give out mine. They cover a large percentage of the world.

The other downside is that the Avalon mapper handles "mazes" very poorly -- anywhere where there are multiple rooms with the same description. You can't map those areas and therefore can't use a goto script when in them. (GMs, please take note. I hate these areas.)

The main upside is that Avalon's map is one big map so you can travel between ANY two points, as long as there exists a path between them that you can use. For example I regularly use my goto script to walk between Leth and Shard, since I can climb the undergondola.

Another upside is that my goto script takes full advantage of my multiple type-ahead lines, meaning Navesi zips between points faster than anyone else I've ever seen.

- Navesi
Re: Avalon on Mac 10/21/2016 04:17 PM CDT
> I've been using virtual box with a TinyXP build to run Genie for 5 years.

I have the same setup. For a variety of reasons I don't use it, preferring Avalon + YASSE, but it's a nice backup to have. And it lets me test things when I'm helping Genie friends with their scripts.
Re: Avalon on Mac 10/21/2016 05:29 PM CDT

>The only person I ever heard of trying Lich on Avalon ended up unable to use the FE at all. I'm not saying that will always be the outcome, that's just the only piece of data I have. Yasse provides scripting abilities and is, as far as I can tell, about as good as genie's scripting, with the ability to do at least one thing I've never seen done in genie. If your friend needs help setting this up, feel free to put her in touch with me via AIM.

We never posted an update, but we ended up getting them working. They had a problem with their C compiler for homebrew or some other mac nonsense :)

One other option you might try independent of lich is the Frostbite front end, people seem to like it although I haven't used it myself. I mostly use ProfanityFE myself which is a little more bare-bones then most people like but I love consoles.
Re: Avalon on Mac 10/21/2016 07:44 PM CDT

>>>>I hear good things about lich.

>>>The only person I ever heard of trying Lich on Avalon ended up unable to use the FE at all.

Installing Lich is not for the faint of heart. I am fairly computer and programming literate and I definitely had to do things I had no business doing to install it. After that it worked for a while and then mysteriously stopped after an ill-fated attempt to create a shortcut so I didn't have to launch Lich from the terminal app every time I wanted to use it. I have a new computer with a fresh OSX install and I have up to this point resisted the urge to try again.
Re: Avalon on Mac 10/22/2016 02:35 PM CDT
I use Avalon on Mac, and it works very well on Yosimite, El Capitan, and Sierra. Feel free to reach out if you have specific questions.

Use the latest beta (currently 4.3.4) and you'll do fine. Also keep an eye on this folder when when Ixix posts updates. He's been working a lot on the scripting engine lately. As for getting it working, there's not much to do except resize and position your windows how you like. Note that Avalon does not use the XML feed, so things like the spell window, atmospheric window, and your exact health/mana/spirit are not available. I haven't found that to be preventative, however.

* Scripts go in ~/Documents/Simutronics/Scripts/DR/
* Run scripts just like anywhere else: .climb

Lich doesn't work so well out-of-the-box on Mac, you need to update ruby and set up a number of other dependencies. Consider this an advanced option and only do so if you find you need additional features.
Re: Avalon on Mac 10/23/2016 12:45 PM CDT

I use Warlock on my Mac and it works great - multiple windows and a fine scripting interface. I use the scripts from elanthipedia without a problem - just copy/paste into a text document, set to plain text, save in warlock script folder, change extension to .cmd, and then go. Sometimes a weird character will be inserted into the textfile when saving that will break the script when you run it, but you can just do a find/replace all in the Warlock script manager to get rid of it.
Re: Avalon on Mac 10/27/2016 04:58 PM CDT
I use Parallels Desktop with Windows 7 and Stormfront, but Navesi has me wanting to give YASSE another try with Avalon. I may also do the Virtual Box with TinyXP install because Parallels just makes the fan on my MacBook Pro run and run, and it's a brand new machine!
Re: Avalon on Mac 03/21/2017 08:50 PM CDT
Where would be the best place to look for an answer and fix to why the thoughts window receives no input (thoughts just go to the story window) when using Avalon and Lich? I've been searching for a few days but can't find anything that seems helpful and no minor tweaking to the main lich file I am comfortable doing has yielded any results. Any help or direction would be very much appreciated. I've recently returned to the game and not having a convenient scripting tool vs communication with other players in-game is quite bothersome.
Re: Avalon on Mac 03/22/2017 04:21 PM CDT
Try posting this over at the DR reddit -- https://www.reddit.com/r/dragonrealms

The lich community is a lot more active over there, i'm sure they will sort this out.