Request: Spell Slot Reset 02/27/2017 11:31 PM CST
When I came back a few months ago, despite graphing the abilities I wanted to choose after my available reset, I couldn't be aware of some new factors of combat and the magic system until after significant use.

I'd love to be able to purchase a spell reset, it's agonizingly slow to swap out one ability per month. I'm looking at half a year (or more) before I am where I want to be.

Simu take my money!
Re: Request: Spell Slot Reset 02/28/2017 01:51 AM CST
>>Diminishedangel: I'd love to be able to purchase a spell reset, it's agonizingly slow to swap out one ability per month. I'm looking at half a year (or more) before I am where I want to be.

I'm not opposed to selling a full spell respec (especially if there is some cooldow), but I'd prefer to see a system where unused spell forgetting rolls over from month to month. (For example, if I don't forget any spells in January, I'm allowed to forget two in February.)

This would allow periodic respecs but would prevent the frequent at-will respecs that would undermine the significance of making choices (not to mention the game balance considerations that underlie the decision to make spell slots less numerous than available abilities).

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Request: Spell Slot Reset 02/28/2017 04:06 AM CST
>I'm not opposed to selling a full spell respec (especially if there is some cooldow), but I'd prefer to see a system where unused spell forgetting rolls over from month to month. (For example, if I don't forget any spells in January, I'm allowed to forget two in February.)

I love the idea of rolling over unused spell forgetting as a natural feature.

Permanence in choice is an important ideal but I don't see any harm, whether practical or philosophical, in allowing unlimited spell respecs. The nature of the full respec is niche by its appeal, and they already allow full stat respecs. If spell respecs were priced accordingly (~$50-$60), price point would be a sufficient barrier to entry to my mind, no need to time-lock it. If someone wants to spend hundreds of dollars on spell rerolls, let them burn their cash for diminishing gains.
Re: Request: Spell Slot Reset 02/28/2017 05:29 AM CST
I find myself in disagreement, as things grow and change, and more abilities are offered, the lack of either re-choosing, or the ability to acquire everything tends to force people down the roads of "tried and true". People tend to gravitate towards guides for the 'best spec/talent/stat/spell/whatever' choices and not go with an idea that looks fun.

While yes, I'm utterly aware there are types that will always game the system looking for the utmost advantage they can squeeze from something, I think this is one area that Dragonrealms could use a bit more flexibility (not gated behind a paywall) that it hasn't enjoyed yet.

Samsaren
Re: Request: Spell Slot Reset 02/28/2017 06:10 AM CST
>While yes, I'm utterly aware there are types that will always game the system looking for the utmost advantage they can squeeze from something, I think this is one area that Dragonrealms could use a bit more flexibility (not gated behind a paywall) that it hasn't enjoyed yet.

If you want to let me get more spell slot resets without paying I'm 100% behind this idea.

I'm just tired of swapping out one ability per month when what I really need is a complete respec, microtransaction seems logical given they allow stat respecs.
Re: Request: Spell Slot Reset 02/28/2017 06:17 AM CST
I find myself in disagreement, as things grow and change, and more abilities are offered, the lack of either re-choosing, or the ability to acquire everything tends to force people down the roads of "tried and true". People tend to gravitate towards guides for the 'best spec/talent/stat/spell/whatever' choices and not go with an idea that looks fun.
While yes, I'm utterly aware there are types that will always game the system looking for the utmost advantage they can squeeze from something, I think this is one area that Dragonrealms could use a bit more flexibility (not gated behind a paywall) that it hasn't enjoyed yet.
Samsaren

While I agree with you to a certain extent forcing people "to go with an idea that looks fun" is exactly the same as people using the "tried and true" method. Either way neither idea addresses the issue or request. Regardless of why someone is wanting to respec their spells, they are. And frankly once a month per spell is archaic.

After 3.0(or 3.1 I forget) people were allowed to forget and relearn every spell they wanted anytime they wanted as many times as they wanted. A lot of people were not even aware of this. Yes it was broken for a good little bit at first but eventually the kinks were worked out. I do not recall the game breaking down and all immersion removed. In fact I think it made people more interested in the magic system and allowed them to explore and expand. If you know you are stuck behind an inability to change your decisions you will "tried and true" method every time just to make sure you have your own little idea of success every time.

I have 37 spells chosen and I for one would love a respec. I have about 4-6 spells I would like to forget and I am not looking forward to waiting half a year to do so. I would like to try out more of the weapon summoning spells but I cannot since I have to wait in my case a minimum of 2-3 months just to have the space available. And who is to say I will like the summoned weapons? There is that fear too once I make the decision just to undo it I have to wait months more. That to me is worse then being able to pay for a respec.

If I totally missed my mark and you were for a respec just not simustore then I apologize now. free respecs all the time would be... Amazing! Or hell instead of one spell a month make it all spells once a month that would be awesome too.
Re: Request: Spell Slot Reset 02/28/2017 07:23 AM CST
You missed the mark, I'm 100% in favor if a respec. I'd even settle for a modest cooldown (1/day).

Samsaren
Re: Request: Spell Slot Reset 02/28/2017 11:48 AM CST
I'm less iffy about spell slots being reset (as opposed to crafting things) because there's no real "long term" benefit that you can take advantage of well after you swap our spell group A for spell group B.

In other words, if I forget Lay Ward today I won't benefit from having once used Lay Ward months/years from now. This is different than if I set a career in armorsmithing, gave myself all armor techs, made the best armor in the game, and then swapped out those techs for anything else. The armor I made doesn't magically poof in response, so the benefit will last forever.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Request: Spell Slot Reset 02/28/2017 05:37 PM CST
You can drop spells in Throne City still. It would take a while, but its cheap and can help you.

Cost

As of June 7, 2015 costs have been re-enabled for forgetting spells. The price is calculated from the last time you forget a spell. This system uses real life days. It is only possible to forget 1 spell at a time.
0-30 days: Not possible
31-159 days: Costs ~2 plat lirum, no TDP cost.
160+ days: No cost.
Premium characters get a 20% discount off the price.

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Request: Spell Slot Reset 03/01/2017 12:45 AM CST
>You can drop spells in Throne City still. It would take a while, but its cheap and can help you.

Well I'm a Barbarian, so don't need to go to Throne, the guild leaders let you unlearn stuff themselves every 30 days.

However my initial complaint is that my current list of abilities is far, far different from what it would be if I could completely respec. We're probably looking at 7-10 abilities that would be swapped out, I don't fancy waiting a year to do so.
Re: Request: Spell Slot Reset 03/01/2017 10:08 PM CST
I would support a Microtrans for a Spell Reset, or perhaps a cooldown reset for forgetting a spell, so you could buy them per spell you wanted to forget.
Re: Request: Spell Slot Reset 03/02/2017 03:00 AM CST
>or perhaps a cooldown reset for forgetting a spell, so you could buy them per spell you wanted to forget.

This would also work nicely, maybe in tandem with a full spell wipe. Messed up a slot and don't wanna wait 30 days? Here, have a few dollars for another spell reset.