Free to play questions 08/26/2016 01:01 PM CDT

I am a longtime player that has been tinkering with the free to play options. The free to play option works a bit better for me since I have long periods of time that I may not be able to play much at all (if any). This allows me to keep the account open and still play for an hour or so here and there as I get a chance. The months that I can play more I can buy an xp boost, passport, ect. as needed. That being said, I have a few questions...

1.) If I the bank account upgrade and play for a few months with it on and then have to let it go for a few months, what happens to the extra money? Can I just not add any more after the boost is done or does it do something with anything over the normal 10 plat limit?

2.) Is there no way to purchase vault space at all? This seems like something I could just get a second account for (have that character just be a vault monkey) but was wondering if there was a free to play option for this?

3.) Someone mentioned that spells are limited with the free to play option. If this is true can anyone explain it to me?

Just some general thoughts on the free to play system. As of right now, it seems extremely limiting. The xp drain is the biggest issue. I see no reason to limit the basic xp drain in the game. I can live without the logout xp (or just buy the booster). I can also live with the limited inventory space and everything else. As of right now this doesn't so much seem like a free to play option as much as a trial option. I am going to try it out, but I have a feeling I might get frustrated and just quit all together later in the game. I know many will disagree with me, but I believe at this point the thing that benefits the game most is having a higher player base. I would definitely buy some of the upgrades as needed, and would even lay down some RL money for a nice fluff item every now and again. Thanks for the help!
Re: Free to play questions 08/26/2016 01:56 PM CDT
> 1.) If I the bank account upgrade and play for a few months with it on and then have to let it go for a few months, what happens to the extra money? Can I just not add any more after the boost is done or does it do something with anything over the normal 10 plat limit?

Your money remains in the bank and can still be withdrawn after your bank upgrade expires, but you cannot make deposits unless your balance is under the 10 plat limit.

> 2.) Is there no way to purchase vault space at all? This seems like something I could just get a second account for (have that character just be a vault monkey) but was wondering if there was a free to play option for this?

While I've never used it myself, to my understanding you can use the Additional Vault Slots option (https://store.play.net/store/purchaseitem/66?gameCode=DR) on the Simucoin store to purchase vault space in 25 slot increments, up to a max of 250 slots. However as you mentioned you could also just use additional F2P characters to carry your items.

> 3.) Someone mentioned that spells are limited with the free to play option. If this is true can anyone explain it to me?

Some particular spells and abilities are limited or unusable by F2P accounts. Most notably:
- Shadow Servant and Astral Travel cannot be used.
- Teleportation effects will respect your current passports.
- Some spell and ability quests can be completed via the Temporary Visa system, but others require a passport.

> Just some general thoughts on the free to play system. As of right now, it seems extremely limiting. The xp drain is the biggest issue. I see no reason to limit the basic xp drain in the game. I can live without the logout xp (or just buy the booster).

The XP drain does becomes the biggest limitation if you play frequently, but one thing to note is that the limitation is scaled based on how many ranks you have. At low ranks you have comparable drain rates to subscribers and this scales up to about 3 to 3.5 times slower by 200 ranks. This also only affects the rate you drain XP and not how much you earn or convert into ranks, so if you only play infrequently and/or for short periods it's still effective to simply lock a skill and then go do something else it drains or drain while AFK.

Also if you haven't already seen it, there is a good summary of the differences between Standard and Free to Play accounts on Elanthipedia: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Free_accounts