Tutoring for crafters 06/08/2016 06:24 PM CDT
Has anyone ever proposed having intensive tutoring for crafting as a micro transaction?

Basically it would work similar to guild bonuses for crafting techniques where the purchaser would get a one on one training session with the crafting hall master which would end up in 1-3 bonus techs available per skill based on which level of tutoring. The training sessions would work the same as guild bonus techniques, where you still have to reach the level of skill to unlock it, but it would give lore tertiary guilds and/or hobby relegated disciplines a slight boost in effectiveness while not making it a career.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/08/2016 06:40 PM CDT

While we're at it, why don't we add a token that let's lore primes swap the lore skillset placement with another skillset. I'm being a little facetious, but I think crafting techs are the only perks to being a lore prime right now. I'd be opposed to giving that away without some form of recompense.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/08/2016 06:49 PM CDT
>While we're at it, why don't we add a token that let's lore primes swap the lore skillset placement with another skillset. I'm being a little facetious, but I think crafting techs are the only perks to being a lore prime right now. I'd be opposed to giving that away without some form of recompense.

How is this giving away lore prime...as they could get the same extra techs?
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/08/2016 06:59 PM CDT

> How is this giving away lore prime...as they could get the same extra techs?

Maybe I was too hasty in my reaction, but I feel like everyone having more of something decreases the value of that thing. So the bonus techs for lore primes is suddenly worth less as a skillset perk. It's like adding a pass to reduce the minimum hinderance floor, add 5 spell slots, reducing hiding RTs by 1, or increasing the off-hand weapon maximum. Technically, everyone would benefit from this, but it realistically has one of two outcomes. Either A) the costs are readjusted to assume everyone has spent more money on passes (hurts everyone), or B) more people have slots and there's less reason to be a lore prime (discourages lore primary guilds).
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/08/2016 07:01 PM CDT
I would be okay with purchasing additional permanent technique slots. Regardless of lore prime/secondary whatever.

$10 for 2 extra techniques on top of whatever you have earned. I would buy a bunch.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/08/2016 07:28 PM CDT
I'd personally rather not see bonus tech slots, spell slots, etc be available for coin. I think that breaks the "in game advantage" barrier in ways the other scoin stuff don't.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/08/2016 07:36 PM CDT
>I'd personally rather not see bonus tech slots, spell slots, etc be available for coin. I think that breaks the "in game advantage" barrier in ways the other scoin stuff don't.

Fair enough. I can get that perspective. Might push things towards the whole "pay to win" model you see in other games.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/08/2016 07:38 PM CDT

>I would buy a bunch.

I think that might be the problem? While clearly more and more is becoming available for purchase, it hasn't quite gotten to buying effective ranks yet.

Jalika
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/08/2016 07:47 PM CDT
Meh while it has an impact. . Techniques dont eliminate skill.. just make things easier. It would be one of the easier microtransactions for me to swallow.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/08/2016 10:30 PM CDT
There are patterns it is impossible to nearly impossible to craft without the appropriate techniques.

So yes, it's pretty dang pay2win.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/08/2016 11:30 PM CDT
No more so than the 3 events we have had so far this year. Again.. even with techs you still need a significant amount of skill for the templates i believe you are referring to.
Re: Tutoring for crafters ::Nudge:: 06/09/2016 09:01 AM CDT
Hi.

Bickering goes elsewhere.

Also, stay on topic, Tutoring for crafters.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 11:42 AM CDT
We had a tread recently where it was demonstrated to be flat-out impossible to craft the patterns in question without techs. Kodius's design for the system intends to give you enough techs to require specialization, and for different players to have different numbers of tech slots might break that balance similar to how extra spell slots hurt the intended spell selection balance (though arguably that was also about tdps and the new variable slot system).

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 11:47 AM CDT
I think part of the tech slot thing is also like how spell slots are essentially working these days: having "too many" options is intended, so people don't homogenize by the time they reach "end-game" skill ranks/circles.

Making it so people could get more and more tech slots would defeat that purpose. It is fully-intended [in theory, at least] that a single character shouldn't be able to necessarily get all the techs in one particular sub-craft, let alone craft type as a whole.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 02:41 PM CDT
Then my solution to that would be to allow people who have already chosen a career or hobby to be able to purchase my techs. Doesnt allow you to gain techsfor everything but still would allow you to become a better crafter in what you are already good for. (And can already swap out techs anyways)
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 03:09 PM CDT
To be more clear.

If you could only add techniques via microtransactions to societies you have already picked as career or hobby it really wouldnt be pay2win.

It would just allow you the convenience of not having to swap techniques. You can already do it. And while there might be penalties or larger fees for it down the road.. it would still be possible. So it really wouldnt give some huge advantage.

It would just allow you to avoid a either time delay or in game fee. And that is basically the idea of microtransactions.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 03:15 PM CDT
>>It would just allow you the convenience of not having to swap techniques. You can already do it. And while there might be penalties or larger fees for it down the road.. it would still be possible. So it really wouldnt give some huge advantage.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the ease in which this is currently done, either.

Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 03:21 PM CDT

> If you could only add techniques via microtransactions to societies you have already picked as career or hobby it really wouldnt be pay2win.

It still would be. Let's say that I have 1200 ranks in forging and a career in blacksmithing. I now have 25 techs to spend over blacksmithing, weaponsmithing, and armorsmithing. I'd need 23 of those techs to cover every inch of my career's tree. I now have 2 left. Let's say I'm a lore prime and spend my other career and hobby on weaponsmithing and armorsmithing. I now have 20 techs in the forging disciplines. That means I'm 5 short if I want to be a master blacksmith and weaponsmith. Let's say I only want to make things well, and I don't care how long it takes. So I drop the speed tech in WS (-4), and the forging tool care. That brings me to -3. I would then have to go to the store and buy the rest of my skillset. In other words, I'd have to pay to win.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 04:08 PM CDT
But no more pay2win than quests or festivals or anything else in this game. Far less so since just having the techniques without the skill to back them up isnt going to do much.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 04:23 PM CDT
Let's just add tyrium and imperial weave directly to the simucoin store while we're at it. After all you still need ranks to use them effectively so what's it matter?

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 05:36 PM CDT
They have done that basically. Ulf'hara. Other quests.

What is your point?

There is also a difference between a rare material that is used up after one use and a technique you can already swap.

You are ridiculously inflating the value of this. At most it is a convenience thing. Nothing more. And convenience or fluff things should be what microtransactions are used for.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 05:52 PM CDT
As another example..

They sell box openers that completely 100% eliminate the need for an entire skill.

Compared to that.. purchasing some extra techniques is pretty inconsequential.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 07:20 PM CDT

> They sell box openers that completely 100% eliminate the need for an entire skill.

> Compared to that.. purchasing some extra techniques is pretty inconsequential.

I don't think that should be an option, but you're right that there's a precedent to ignore a skill in a limited capacity. To be truly comparable, it would have to give you a technique in a limited time/use capacity. If we're truly ready to cross the threshold of pay to when then they should start with selling characters in a tiered capacity. There's been a market for that for decades with prices tried and tested. At least then I wouldn't have to worry about a familiar name becoming a completely different person, and you'd get your specialized characters with enough tech slots to perform specific tasks.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 07:31 PM CDT
I wouldnt care. I would rather the money go to simu than character sellers on drsales.

Though again.. most of the techs can be gained just through ranks and career/hobby. The ones usually not picked are things like table making. I don't think it will unbalance anything if those are available for a bit of cash. It is actually one of the more logical places for microtransactions. Especially since you still have to have skill to back up the techniques.. even more so if using rare mats.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 07:57 PM CDT

> I wouldnt care. I would rather the money go to simu than character sellers on drsales.

I was only being half-sarcastic, as I don't think I would mind this either. It is pay to win though. Maybe you are right. Maybe we're at the point in the game where pay-to-catchup should be considered? Bonus ranks below a certain threshhold. "Starter characters" or "Starter packages". I'm going to start this as a new thread.

Per your idea, I think you may have changed my mind so long as this doesn't mean the game has to be balanced around everyone having these techs. I also don't know that 3 is the right number. Maybe 1 bonus tech in each of your guild's natural bonuses or careers/hobbies. Maybe release these as prizes (the game needs more consumable rewards) in a new crafting themed quest or festival. Maybe as a hallow's eve reward.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 08:08 PM CDT
I dont see the problem with selling 2 techs for 5 bucks.

They only could be used in a profession you are career or hobby in (so already invested).

It honestly doesn't hurt any balance... because the techs that would be taken with it are the techs that most people never use or take to begin with. Like table making and stuff like that. You can get most of the important ones anyways.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 08:16 PM CDT
>>I dont see the problem with selling 2 techs for 5 bucks.

Counterpoint: If getting 2 techs wasn't a big deal, the suggestion wouldn't be to make it behind a simucoin paywall.

Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 08:33 PM CDT

> It honestly doesn't hurt any balance... because the techs that would be taken with it are the techs that most people never use or take to begin with. Like table making and stuff like that. You can get most of the important ones anyways.

Be honest. What would you do with those techs if you had them right now.
Re: Tutoring for crafters ::Nudge:: 06/09/2016 08:43 PM CDT

The bickering needs to stop.

Take the conflicts to the appropriate folder.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Tutoring for crafters 06/09/2016 08:50 PM CDT
If i had the techniques right now? Nothing. At all. I have all but 1 technique reachable by skill and career/hobby.

I just dont take a lot of techs that i almost never use or see a use for. I would pay to get the rest just to have them.. because i like options. As it is now i can just swap out techs if need be. And even if that is made more like spells... it wouldn't change much.

So no. It really isnt a big deal to my character. If it happens awesome. If not.. meh life continues.