Dev positions? 02/16/2017 07:46 AM CST
Are there currently any open volunteer Dev positions? Ideally I'd like to get into the spellbook system, but I understand that would be side from assigned tasks.

I'm an SDET with experience in OO and scripting languages, but I'm learning C/C++ currently.
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 07:50 AM CST
Can't speak to if there's currently any open positions, but given the general complaints we see about GM Bandwidth I'd assume so.

You can submit an application here: https://www.play.net/dr/apply/gmapps/
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 07:53 AM CST
Thank you!
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 08:19 AM CST

> Are there currently any open volunteer Dev positions? Ideally I'd like to get into the spellbook system, but I understand that would be side from assigned tasks.

Are there open positions that are allowed to work on what they want to work on? It seems that existing devs are being strong-armed into pushing their pet projects off their plates.
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 08:45 AM CST
I wouldn't know anything about that, but if that's the case it would be the wrong mentality. Passion projects are always better developed, so it wouldn't make sense.
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 08:57 AM CST
>>Are there open positions that are allowed to work on what they want to work on? It seems that existing devs are being strong-armed into pushing their pet projects off their plates.

Again, no real experience with it here, but the impression I got from the application process and what gets said by GMs here on the board it'd be a lot like any other 'job' where you'd be expected to work on what you've been assigned and would have to take on pet projects in your 'spare' time.

Quotation marks to emphasize that GMing is something our GMs do in their actual spare time outside of their real jobs already.

Personally I got less and less excited about it as I went further into the application forms and withdrew my application after reading a line that stated they'd expect around 80 hours a month from development GMs. YMMV and I wish luck to anyone who still applies. I really get the impression that we need more people doing it.
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 10:43 AM CST

> Personally I got less and less excited about it as I went further into the application forms and withdrew my application after reading a line that stated they'd expect around 80 hours a month from development GMs. YMMV and I wish luck to anyone who still applies. I really get the impression that we need more people doing it.

That's really unfortunate as it makes this a non-starter for me. I have years of professional programming experience across a dozen languages, and I would love to develop a few abilities here and there, but I would not be willing to take on an unpaid volunteer position with the same demands as a real job.
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 10:44 AM CST
Thank you for the input. I'll see if I get deep enough into the application process.
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 11:02 AM CST
>>That's really unfortunate as it makes this a non-starter for me. I have years of professional programming experience across a dozen languages, and I would love to develop a few abilities here and there, but I would not be willing to take on an unpaid volunteer position with the same demands as a real job.

This mirrors both my experience and thoughts on it. I'd reapply pretty quickly if they cut the time requirement to about 1/2 - 1/4 that, even with the push towards non hobby projects taking priority.

Hopefully there are other programmers in our community with the spare time to take it on as we could definitely use the extra development.
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 03:06 PM CST
So, a certain amount of disbelief is acceptable. For the most part, the only person that puts in 80+ hours a month in DR that I know of is Lyneya, who does it as her full time job. There just isn't enough hours in the day for the rest of us. That said, you can be expected to put in those kind of hours in crunch situations, as well as portions of your early training.

So think of it less as "20 hours a week every week FOREVER" and more "you may be asked and must be able to put in around 20 hours a week in extreme situations." The best way I've ever heard it put, as far as the general time commitment, is by former GM Helena, who told me that the expectation is that GMing would become my primary avocation.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 04:09 PM CST
Why not just bring on more people to mitigate the workload on any one? So it isn't expected that each of you individually treat this hobby as your primary avocation?
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 04:26 PM CST
Avocation
noun; a hobby or minor occupation

Sounds pretty much like GMing to me. Replace "avocation" with hobby, and making it my "primary hobby" was easy, it already was from the player side. The only thing that comes even close to DR for me is reading, and only when I stumble upon a new series that I enjoy and have to go read the entire thing.

The only times I think I've actually spent 20 hours a week on something were 1) initial training, 2) one run of an MT event where I was spearheading the effort, and 3) Hollow Eve, maybe. Aside from that, it's much more relaxed. I'm able to find time to do personally-motivated DR projects, as well as varying levels of interaction with MT/HE.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 04:34 PM CST
>>Why not just bring on more people to mitigate the workload on any one?

Armifer: (to Persida and Javak) Oh, get more GMs? Just get more GMs? Why don't I strap on my GM helmet and squeeze down into a GM cannon and fire off into GM land, where GMs grow on gmmies?!”

In a less snarky response, I think there's a new cohort of GMs currently being trained, but I don't believe the currentl situation has GMs with very light workloads who are just puttering around for a project while a sad few are completely buried.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 05:57 PM CST
Thank you for the great responses.
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 06:00 PM CST
>>Why not just bring on more people to mitigate the workload on any one?

Being able to pull that kind of workload is necessary to survive GM training, which starts very structured and time-intensive. It's also very beneficial to the reality of crunch times and project deadlines to be able to set aside that kind of time, even if you don't routinely do it.

It's probably the former that encourages us to strongly word the requirement. It's better to be prepared for the hardest type of time crunch that GMing will throw at you than to advertise the slightly more sedate reality and then have people crash and burn getting through their GM orientation.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Dev positions? 02/16/2017 10:51 PM CST
I appreciate your input Armifer and Javac. I'm reconsidering re-starting my application based on your posts.
Re: Dev positions? 02/17/2017 12:58 AM CST
We're also not unpaid, we're just not highly paid.

-Raesh

"Sometimes, I worry that I’m not the hero everyone thinks I am..." - Mistborn
Re: Dev positions? 02/17/2017 04:25 AM CST
I know this post was initially tailored to Dev GM positions, but I wanted to mention that the 80 hours a month piece is actually very true on the CE side. If you're on CE and you're coming anywhere close to meeting your expected duties, you're probably hitting 80 hours a month without much difficulty.

I, for one, absolutely hit that regularly. I also work full time in a job wherein I can't usually take any time during my workday to do things related to DR.

Crunch times, as Armifer mentioned, can end up with you doing much more than that.

I don't say this to try to scare folks away from applying. I want more folks on CE. We need more folks on CE. I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea, though. It does take up a lot of time, and you aren't likely to enjoy GMing (at least on the CE end) unless you really enjoy putting that kind of time into the game.

-Persida
Re: Dev positions? 02/17/2017 10:50 AM CST

I don't really understand the difference between 1 guy putting in 20 hours a week and 5 guys putting 4 hours a week. Also, realize if you lax the work hours you could actually see 300+% gain on GMs rather than the bare-bones operation we have now. That is to say there seems to be a tidal wave of quasi-volunteer (heck maybe even completely free out of the love of the game) GMs out there that are just sitting idle. My two cents.
Re: Dev positions? 02/17/2017 11:43 AM CST
>>I don't really understand the difference between 1 guy putting in 20 hours a week and 5 guys putting 4 hours a week.

That only makes sense if you work in a situation where you're creating units of Stuff that can be handed off to other people without interruption.

In practice, 20x1 and 4x5 isn't something that's superior to one or the other, but are different types of productivity that work better in different situations. With the Su Helmas project, we had examples of both. I absolutely delegated a lot of stuff and am immensely grateful to the GMs that helped me -- but there was also stuff that I had to do myself, because it would've taken as much time to prepare someone to do that specific job as it would to just do it myself.

-Armifer
Re: Dev positions? 02/17/2017 01:01 PM CST

One common analogy is that 9 women can't make 1 baby in 1 month. Not all work is easily broken into smaller chunks.

But that said, while I understand the need to keep quality high and also maintain NDAs around some content, the game does have a veritable glut of people with significant coding experience and desire to interact with the game. So far, they've pretty much only been satiated by maximizing GEnie or Lich scripts, and I'd love to see some of these people (lots of these people) handed some projects.
Re: Dev positions? 02/25/2017 06:31 AM CST

I hate to say it and I'm going to get a ton of pushback for this but I am starting to -believe- (NOT know) -feels like- that the GS PM is just a lot more proactive in his duties than the DR PM. I'm sure the DR PM is doing something but just on a communication level I SWORE I thought Armifer was our PM, like emphatically.

It would be nice if we got updates on a roadmap of what each of the components of the game will be getting down the line. I mean big thematic categories like Guilds, Combat, F2P store, Events, situation with staffing shortage etc.
Re: Dev positions? 02/25/2017 01:28 PM CST
I am not the DragonRealms PM.

-Armifer
Re: Dev positions? 02/25/2017 02:09 PM CST

Yes I knew only recently that you were not, but that was my point. GM Lyna is like an elusive unicorn, I rarely see her post and I rarely see her roll out any new projects or initiatives. Yeah, I know how harsh that sounds, but it needed to be said.
Re: Dev positions? 02/25/2017 02:32 PM CST

Why exactly did that need to be said? I'm starting to think you are just a troll.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Dev positions? 02/25/2017 04:27 PM CST
This one's off topic and done.

~Evike