Help? 10/31/2016 06:43 PM CDT
I am curious if it would be possible to assist someone with room descriptions, items, creatures, messaging etc. if there's a template file or something. I find myself more than willing to help, but my new job has got me working crazy hours and I can provide no real time commitment. However, I've assisted I don't know how many times and been a helper for merchants of various types, and I've won contests in the past for room and item design. I was just curious instead of randomly designing a bunch of stuff on a whim and doing nothing with it. Didn't know if it would benefit you guys to have a team that did things like that. Just food for thought.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Help? 11/01/2016 01:02 PM CDT
It is beneficial. I usually open drives over twitter for stuff like this, and Javac took up one of my former drives and expanded it for item creation.

If you'd like to specifically do areas and room stuff, I'd say write up 5-8 room areas for hunting spots that do not have Premium hunting zones. I believe some of the more requested ones are higher level. For submitting these, please email them to dr-naohhi@play.net and dr-nohn@play.net

Or, if there's a hunting area that could benefit from being expanded to support more hunters, rooms for that would be good, too. For submission of expanded zones, throw them in a google doc/word and email them to dr-worlds@play.net. That will put your projects in the hands of the staffers that oversee work on specific areas and let them decide to use something or not.

Few things to keep in mind for room design:
* Do not use the word 'you'
* Do double space your sentences.
* If you describe the sky/light, then make a night description also.
* Avoid inflicting feelings/emotions on the reader. Inflicting sensations is fine.
* Describe it, don't tell its history. ie: a weathered stone altar vs a stone altar weathered by years of sacrificial offerings

I'm not sure what other area projects people may have right now, but these two are usually good bets.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Help? 11/01/2016 01:25 PM CDT
Does it help if these are imported to ALAE as well?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Help? 11/01/2016 02:48 PM CDT
ALAE stuff needs to go through the ALAE GM. I'm not honestly sure who is heading that right now. I believe Lyneya was heading it, but she has many more duties now.

Having things in ALAE areas is time saving in some cases. For these two uses, it very much is, since the areas won't need anything very specific and we can move the work to where we need it to live.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Help? 11/01/2016 03:33 PM CDT
>>Having things in ALAE areas is time saving in some cases. For these two uses, it very much is, since the areas won't need anything very specific and we can move the work to where we need it to live.

If it speeds things up, I'm 100% open to people emailing me via my play.net address with the room descriptions/etc so I can port them in ALAE.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Help? 11/01/2016 06:35 PM CDT
Thanks all. Good to know where to send stuff. I also have a real life background in blacksmithing/metallurgy/bladesmithing if that helps anyone who may be looking. I can be reached at my play.net address.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Help? 11/01/2016 08:04 PM CDT
To piggyback off what Naohhi said, it really depends on what you're writing as to where you'd send it.

If you want to write a shop or shop items, the Events Team is good to email: dr-events@play.net

If you have something guild specific, you'd want to send it to the play.net address of the GM overseeing that guild. GM emails are always dr-gmname@play.net format, like mine is dr-persida@play.net

Same sort of thing for something race specific -- email it to the GM who oversees that race.

If you're just not sure who to email your neat idea at all, you can always email it to me, and I'll get it routed to the right GM or team :)

-Persida
Re: Help? 11/01/2016 08:18 PM CDT
Good deal. I guess the other part of my question was about a team for that. Like for instance Naohhi says "I've got some stuff in the works, I'd like for anyone interested to design ten whatsits, and for someone else to design a bi-pedal creature. I know creature dev is a pain, lots of messaging and what not. That's why I asked about a template. Instead of just randomly designing a bunch of weird crap and maybe never seeing it used, I'd rather do purpose built work that I know is at least useful. Even if it doesn't get used, it can perhaps spark an idea for whatever GM needs it. Does that make sense? I guess it's just more of a way to make a more concentrated effort so we are all working toward the same goal. Whatever that may be.

Monster Elec

Re: Help? 11/02/2016 05:20 AM CDT
Totally makes sense! Right now, there isn't really a team like that, exactly. There's ALAE for area building, like Uzmam mentioned, and individual GMs sometimes put out calls for things they'd like help on. Sometimes that's on the forums, or over twitter, or both. Both of those getting guidelines/templates for what's needed.

It's currently pretty informal outside of that, but something more organized isn't a bad idea. I can throw it up to staff and see if it sticks.

-Persida
Re: Help? 11/02/2016 06:38 AM CDT
Right on. Thanks! I've actually broken my personal ban of twitter just for dr. Unfortunately it seems the easiest way to find out if something is going on that I don't want to miss.

Monster Elec

Re: Help? 11/04/2016 03:05 PM CDT

I'd love to see this opened more explicitly to the general player base! There are a bunch of creatives. I'll take a stab at some additional rooms for some areas this weekend.
Re: Help? 12/11/2016 10:11 PM CST
I know I'm late to this party- but I am in ALAE, and have done a couple of projects that are awaiting final approval, or QC'ing. Poor Lyneya, and the other GMs, have been run into the ground so I've tried not to nag about it. ;)

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy