Curious About New Dev GM Experience 03/02/2016 11:44 PM CST
I'm sure this has been asked before some place but have there been successful GMs on the development side that started with little to no coding experience? Just wondering what the degree of difficulty is for coding newbs.

I am looking for a part time, and I have some growing interest in becoming a GM on the development side with some beginner level experience in Python and C#, along with writing/editing scripts in DR for years.

Or do those GMs have to be like coding gods to really get things done?

Thanks in advance!
Re: Curious About New Dev GM Experience 03/03/2016 12:38 AM CST
>>I'm sure this has been asked before some place but have there been successful GMs on the development side that started with little to no coding experience?

Yes. This use to be the expectations but these days it's more of a blend.

I hadn't done anything much more complex than scripting in Stormfront prior to joining staff.

>>I am looking for a part time

The expectation is about 20 hr/week but particularly on the development side rarely is it scheduled time.

However, the way you phrase this makes me think you're looking at it as a job so I'll mention that it's really a passion because the financial compensation far shy of an actual part time job.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Curious About New Dev GM Experience 03/03/2016 07:39 AM CST
My opinion, both as someone who came into GSL with minimal coding experience and now teaches it to new GMs: if you can do algebra you can learn to do GSL. It might be easier or harder to learn based on your level of experience coming in, but being able to do math up to variables is the only thing I'd cite as absolutely mandatory.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Curious About New Dev GM Experience 03/03/2016 08:22 PM CST
Great advice! Thank you Armifer and Raesh for sharing your experience. Feeling much more confident and perhaps I'll take a crack at an application the next time some spots open up. :)
Re: Curious About New Dev GM Experience 03/03/2016 08:29 PM CST
>perhaps I'll take a crack at an application the next time some spots open up.

Since we're pretty short staffed at the moment, there are plenty of open spots. If you have interest, I highly recommend filling out your application. I think the current round of applications is closed, but we save your application so that you'll be considered next time we go to hire folks.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Curious About New Dev GM Experience 03/03/2016 09:57 PM CST
Thank you for the heads up, Javac!