Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 06/10/2014 07:24 AM CDT
So, you're sitting around, reading the message boards at your favorite online game and you come across this posting. Well, if you're interested in becoming a GameMaster (and really, why else would you be reading this post?) then read on!

If you're interested in becoming a GameMaster, we're interested in seeing your application! We will be hiring for all teams, though we are quite specifically looking for people to work on Quests.

If you haven't yet completed an application -- and/or if you haven't completed all the additional testing and whatnot -- I encourage you to do so at your earliest convenience. The exact timeline for this round of hiring is not entirely settled yet, other than Soon [tm], but the applications are lengthy so I wanted to give folks a heads' up.

Our ideal candidates will be motivated and creative. We need team players who are able to work on their own while meeting the needs of the team. We need people who can see something in their mind's eye and then bring it to life within the game. You'll have at least 20 hours a week that you can devote to GM'ing (and quite often more!) and you'll be ready to see behind the curtain and embrace the shift from player to staff. GM Training is quite lengthy and is a significant time investment, but being a GameMaster is very rewarding and a lot of fun, and we think it's worth the wait.

The Dev and CE divide has also eroded significantly in recent years. Many of our Dev GMs run events, help players with technical problems, and post on the forums. Many of our CE GMs code systems, collaborate with Dev GMs on designing new systems, and create new areas (which was actually historically a Dev GM role). I'm not saying that all CE GMs need to be coders, or that all Dev GMs need to be bubbly people persons, but a bit of crossover is expected these days. The majority of our GMs can do at least a little of both and it's extremely helpful to not be afraid to stretch a bit out of our comfort zones.

If this is you, then please, get that app in and let's get busy!

ASGM Melete
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 06/10/2014 09:49 AM CDT
>you'll be ready to see behind the curtain and embrace the shift from player to staff.

And this is the reason I won't apply. I like playing too much.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 06/10/2014 10:06 AM CDT
Where do I buy more time, so that I can do this? :(
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 06/10/2014 10:39 AM CDT
Don't worry, once you get on staff you'll realize even if you quit your day job and did nothing but work on DR you'll never have the time you need to do all the projects you want to do.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 06/10/2014 11:06 AM CDT
I've toyed around with the idea before. The time commitment is a concern, but it's more that I'm enjoying what I've managed to build up for myself as a player. (Also possibly going crazy from dealing with client reactions to new code releases they don't care for both at work and in DR.)

- Miskton
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 06/10/2014 11:09 AM CDT
Do note:

If you aren't sure you're ready to give up playing? You aren't.

If you think you can GM and still play... the track record on that is awful. I don't know of any active GMs who manage to keep regularly playing their character after the first couple of months of training.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 06/10/2014 11:18 AM CDT
Same here. I love the game and I still love playing it from this side of things. If I saw behind the curtain it would lose some of the sparkle for me and I would be less invested - and current staff is so awesome and busy at pumping out content that if I was there with a 60 percent engagement level I would feel like the biggest slacker.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 06/10/2014 11:25 AM CDT
I can write a book in my sleep but currently can't code to save my life. Go figure. I'm not sure how that fits here.
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 06/10/2014 11:33 AM CDT
If you're good with algebra you can probably learn GSL sufficiently to write a spell or design a creature.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 06/10/2014 11:46 AM CDT
>>If you think you can GM and still play... the track record on that is awful.

This is pretty much true. A lot of people (myself included!) come into the role thinking that they'll be the exception, playing and GM'ing at the same time. It doesn't typically work out that way, though. This isn't really a bad thing, it just is. I'm sure that my GM contributions are more significant than my player contributions, though it still stings a little to miss out on all the fun players can have. I wouldn't change my decision, if given the opportunity.

>>If you're good with algebra you can probably learn GSL sufficiently to write a spell or design a creature.

Yep! Basically, if you can cobble together a reasonably complex SF or Genie script, then you can handle the rudiments of GSL (Gemstone Scripting Language, the thing we code DragonRealms in).

Melete
Nature, it seems, is the popular name
for milliards and milliards and milliards
of particles playing their infinite game
of billiards and billiards and billiards.
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 06/10/2014 12:41 PM CDT
Alright I may be interested in this. :)
Well, I passed AP Calculus my senior year of high school circa 2002. I even got a B without doing any homework that year (I may or may not have been 'troubled' at that time, heh). Since then I've focused on creative writing and other academic directions like materials engineering (yes those are disperate academic directions- sue me lol). This is why I really love the crafting systems yet am somewhat critical of silversteel (my inner metallurgist throws a toddler's tantrum). I work towards designing/making armor (body and vehicle both) in Real Life as my primary profession alongside writing on the side. My scripts work for me and I wouldn't call them bare-bones simple but at this point I wouldn't put them in the same league as the ones I see on elanthipedia. Also these days due to chronic illness I find myself with a random amount of substantial free time on a completely unreliable basis.

Time = I have it if its allowed to be a surprise
People Skills= I know how to be nice
Writing= No Fear, Really Fun Part(tm)
Coding = Learned Calculus long ago then pretty much forgot it from disuse, Scripts are functional but lackluster, No direct experience, Currently The Big Worry(tm)
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 07/01/2014 04:31 PM CDT
Kind of late here, but I want to say, I spent about 3 hrs yesterday writing a simple macro for some image processing I needed to do, about 97% of which was spent troubleshooting a single operation. It was solved when I complained to a friend who looked at the code and remarked "Are you sure it isn't because of that extra comma?"

It was.
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 07/02/2014 09:37 PM CDT
I once had this idea that I should just come in at 5:00 every day and leave at 5:30. Because so very often I would start work, fiddling with a database, run into a problem and work at that stupid problem all day. And then I'd glance at the clock around 5, decide I'd work on it for another half hour and then head home. Sure enough by around 5:20 I had the problem licked.

The half hour workday idea didn't really fly with the higher ups, though.
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 07/02/2014 11:39 PM CDT
Just an update on this...

If you haven't yet submitted (or updated) an application, now is the time to do so. We'll be starting the review process in the next couple of weeks, but there's no ETA on how soon we'll get through that and start reaching out to people for more information and scheduling interviews. We have a need for people on both teams. As Melete said, some crossover happens these days, but it's not required. We have a lot of projects in a lot of areas that need attention. As long as you have a drive to pitch in, we can find a place for you.

I also want to specifically add a call for any former staff members. You have the benefit of having gone through training before, which makes it easier/faster to get you up to speed with our current needs. Regardless of your reasons for leaving, you should still submit an application, but feel free to reach out to my play.net address with any questions you may have.

Looking forward to working with you in the future!

To submit an application, start here: https://www.play.net/dr/apply/gmapps/

SGM Zadraes
Premium Lead
Trader Guild Advocate
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 10/03/2014 06:32 PM CDT
Just a quick note -- Last chance to get those apps in!

There are a good portion of applications submitted by people I'd love to talk to, but they haven't completed all of the sections required to allow me to do so!

If you've got a half-finished application in the system, please try and get it done. I would love to add another 2 or 3 candidates to the next group, which I hope to start training soon after HE concludes.

Thanks!
Lyneya
Re: Hiring GameMasters in 2014! 10/20/2014 12:38 PM CDT
>>There are a good portion of applications submitted by people I'd love to talk to, but they haven't completed all of the sections required to allow me to do so!

[Very] Late response to this, but I also want to point out that if you select wanting to apply for multiple things at once, you have to complete everything to have the information get processed.

So if you apply for ALAE, GM, and Mentor (for example), and you only complete Mentor, you won't have your application for any of them submitted until you complete all three. You might just want to apply for each one separately, or whatever.

At least that's how it worked when I did some online paperwork stuff a yearish ago.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.