Re: Adieu 03/24/2009 11:11 PM CDT
You started something good, sir. May you do more of that elsewhere.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Adieu 03/24/2009 11:16 PM CDT
Thanks for all the great work Ssra. Good luck with whatever else you're doing.
Re: Adieu 03/24/2009 11:17 PM CDT
Nooooo. :( :( :(

I was hoping this would not happen, Ssra. As with all things, eventually it's time to move on though. I appreciate all the work you've done and don't worry about any uncompleted work. You've done so much already and there's plenty of capable GMs still here to continue on. You'll definitely be in the Dragonrealms' GM Hall of Fame.

Take care and know you'll be missed.

Vinjince
Re: Adieu 03/24/2009 11:22 PM CDT
All I can say is "Good luck, SSRA", in whatever you you end up doing and "Oh crap" for those of us left behind.

Seriously, thanks for all you've done, it's been a great ride.

No disrespect intended to the GM's toiling away every day, you guys do great work, it just feels like one of guiding lights just went dark.

For all you've done, Ssra, thanks, and best wishes wherever you end up roaming,

Meigs
Re: Adieu 03/24/2009 11:22 PM CDT
Well, glad you gave us an official farewell, but very sad to see you go Dave.

Hopefully we can get together again sometime for a pizza if you and Maece are still living in the bay area. I'll even see if we can drag Jren down. And maybe, just maybe, if life permits, you can come back to us. Although, I dont think I've ever seen a GM come back after leaving (you can break that tradition!). You were by far one of the better coders of DR, and your work and time here will be greatly missed.

Falker/Jeff
Re: Adieu 03/24/2009 11:33 PM CDT
Ssra,

I seriously don't think another GM has had the greatest single impact that you had. Thanks for all your hard work and especially for your vocal presence on the boards and the willingness to answer player questions or make recommendations/suggestions.

~Thilan
Re: Adieu 03/24/2009 11:33 PM CDT
Ssra, you'll definitely be remembered as one of the greats. Good luck and the very best of wishes for everything you do in life.

Ogdaro
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 12:13 AM CDT
You've had a tremendous impact on this game, more so than just from a coding standpoint. The way you've talked with us players in the past is something that I will not forget.

Thank you, and I wish you well.

__
~Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leicollagefinal.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/bard_planner_v3.xls
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 12:54 AM CDT
Good luck with your future endeavors, you were always a blast at the Cons.
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 01:02 AM CDT
I don't understand what farming TDPs means.

So if I train foraging and don't use it as one of my 8 survivals to circle am I farming TDPs?

Same with the vocal instruments skill. There's no use for it for almost every guild, so are people who train it farming TDPs there?
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 01:09 AM CDT
>>I don't understand what farming TDPs means.

I remember the good old days of farming TDPs. Time used to be you'd put on your five sets of armor, get up at dawn and farm TDPs just like the rest of the town. It wasn't a glamorous life, sure, but it was an honest one.

Now they have this new-fangled "bone armor" and "cloth armor" and are talking nonsense about "making armor scale beyond rank 40." Heck, we didn't need any of that in my day.

Times are changing :(
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 07:08 AM CDT
agree with everything that's been said, you'll be missed

--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Legeres
http://www.myspace.com/ledge_ear_us
http://legeres.deviantart.com
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 07:29 AM CDT
The end of an era. A toast to you and your work for this game, Sir.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 08:34 AM CDT
Thanks for all your great work Ssra. You'll be missed.
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 08:56 AM CDT
Oh Man, Ssra!

I'm sorry to see you go. But I can't say I'm surprised, considering how big a load you were carrying.

Take care, Sir.

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 09:49 AM CDT
Ssra, your work in the Realms has been consistently inventive, thorough, and always a pleasure to play with. Also, your frankness on the boards was really refreshing and I feel helped to set a new tone of GM-player interaction both in terms of development and figuring out current and old systems. You will certainly be missed. Best of luck,

Launtris/Andrew
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 03:16 PM CDT
Ssra, you will be really missed, my hat's off to one of the best developement GameMasters.

Thank you!

Codiax.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 03:54 PM CDT
Ssra is a good man and his work in reorganizing development is perhaps even more important, if less well known, than his contributions to DragonRealms' systems.

Ssra stepped up to the plate after the death of Jeremael, at a time when we were, more or less, lost. Jeremael was a great man and a supremely talented developer, which had unfortunate consequences when we suddenly lost him. There were systems that, literally, no one else had touched in years, and much of our internal infrastructure for design and proposals was gone as well.

While I know Ssra lamented that his time could not be spent on individual projects, his organizational work brought us where we are today. He fostered a system in defiance of some trends and attitudes that had prevailed in the years before him, centralizing development projects while at the same time decentralizing authority, and making the development process as transparent as possible. He is the reason we by and large no longer speak of "turf wars," and he is the reason that we will hopefully never have such a languished period ever again.

It's tired cliche in academics to say that the only reason an individual can perform great work is by "standing on the shoulders of giants," but this is a circumstance where it applies. If you like the overall direction DragonRealms has gone in the past few years, chances are you have Ssra to thank.

Godspeed, man.

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 04:35 PM CDT
Good luck Dave. You cheered many a night up for me with your antics and your work will be appreciated for years to come still. May the road rise to meet you until we meet again.

~Eoworfinia~
I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel.
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 04:40 PM CDT
I've noticed some significant revamping of old systems that really needed work. One of the biggest complaints I saw over and over again were people asking to fix what we had instead of bringing in new things which in turned brought new problems.

If Ssra had anything to do with how old systems were revamped and contributed to the many fixes we've seen over the last 9 months or so then he certainly left his mark.

Farewell Ssra and hopefully you won't stray too far away if even it means taking on a new role of just being an observer. Take care.
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 05:43 PM CDT
Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.

Take care man.
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 06:18 PM CDT
You will be sorely missed Ssra. I wish you luck where ever you go.

--There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.--George Carlin
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 06:29 PM CDT
Ssra,
Thanks for all the great work and cool stuff you've done for us over the years. And, yeah, for some of the stuff maybe I didn't agree with so much. Good luck to yas.

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 06:52 PM CDT
So long then. It's always the "S" named GMs that I seem to miss the most, and you'll be the most missed since Skurrzak.
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 08:41 PM CDT
Goodbye Ssra and best of luck in whatever you do. From the sounds of it, you had a heavy hand regarding the general direction the game is going in and I think someone would be hard pressed to say that it's anything but amazing.

On a personal note, I thank you IMMENSELY for the groundwork you have laid for Bards in regarding to things like screams. Your organization and follow through has lead us to a great place that Dartenian and Vaeldriil are currently expanding on. And without that initial effort, the process would no doubt be delayed considerably.

So special thanks for that. Thank you!

~ Terra
Re: Adieu 03/25/2009 09:55 PM CDT
just one thought crosses my mind as I read that... "that sucks."
You'll be missed.

report: not sure if this is a problem.. but there are two sentinel Kristef's on the streets.

SEND[Abasha] That's not Kristef, that's his evil twin, um... Kristeff. Anyway thanks for the heads up!
Re: Adieu 03/26/2009 09:15 PM CDT
Good luck Ssra..thanks for all yer hard work.. see you back soon ah hope.