Response Rewards 09/07/2020 02:18 PM CDT
Hi guys, guess what?! I coded a thing, and it works! ::trumpets::

I spent my day off this week creating a fairly simple question and answer system designed to reward players who are ATK and paying attention. It'll message everyone in game with a bolded, centered question. You can use SUBMIT to respond, and if your answer exactly matches the one preset, you'll get an RPA. You can try multiple times if your answer is wrong, but can only answer correctly once.

There is no particular schedule, there are no pre-loaded questions and answers. This is just a tool GMs can use to occasionally reward players for being responsive.

Enjoy!

~ L
Re: Response Rewards 09/07/2020 06:08 PM CDT
What's the policy with regards to sharing responses? Discussing on the gweth? Just curious.
Re: Response Rewards 09/08/2020 06:03 AM CDT
>I coded a thing, and it works! ::trumpets::

Huzzah! I've liked the trivia stuff, even if I had to go running to the wiki for a few of them.

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Response Rewards 09/08/2020 09:52 AM CDT
I like this. Rewards those that are actually playing vs. having a script run. First question I saw was actually fairly easy for me. Kudos!

Greyfalcon
Re: Response Rewards 09/09/2020 10:27 AM CDT
I would very much like to request a toggle for this mechanic. It's very jarring and immersion breaking to have a huge block of text show up. Then show up again if you don't answer. It reminds me a bit of the internet popups of old.

While I can see why people would enjoy this and it's nice to get a reward for knowing lore, there are those of us who'd rather not have it interrupt our game play and more importantly to me, my roleplay.

Please give us the choice to opt out of seeing this.

Thank you,
Player of Eruwyn and others.
Re: Response Rewards 09/09/2020 06:10 PM CDT
It would be neat if this could show up in the OOC window. I tend to be in combat a lot these days (after a year-ish hiatus I'm now learning how well rexp works, so a belated thank you for that!), so I'm always worried I might not see it during the 4 mobs wailing on me, or have to somehow balance scrolling back up to read with tracking how combat is going.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Response Rewards 09/09/2020 09:20 PM CDT
I made some necessary changes to this system now that it's working the way I want --

You now have one chance to guess at each question. Check your spelling before you submit!
Not everyone will get the same questions.
F2P is welcome to participate in the system, but bonuses will be awarded to paid subscribers only.

Toggles will be coming at some point, but not quite yet.

~ L
Re: Response Rewards 09/09/2020 09:33 PM CDT
I can understand not allowing infinite guesses in the time period but...maybe 3 guesses just so those of us who aren't great spellers don't screw ourselves immediately?
Re: Response Rewards 09/10/2020 06:47 AM CDT
>>I can understand not allowing infinite guesses in the time period but...maybe 3 guesses just so those of us who aren't great spellers don't screw ourselves immediately?

Or people who have trouble with typos, such as me when I'm starting to get tired or the cat has started acting up.

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Response Rewards 09/10/2020 08:10 AM CDT

>First question I saw was actually fairly easy for me. Kudos!

This has taught me I am not good at DR history/lore.

Jalika
Re: Response Rewards 09/10/2020 10:45 AM CDT
>>I can understand not allowing infinite guesses in the time period but...maybe 3 guesses just so those of us who aren't great spellers don't screw ourselves immediately?

>Or people who have trouble with typos, such as me when I'm starting to get tired or the cat has started acting up.

Or people who rush and read the question wrong, etc. I've gotten every single reward I was online for so far (3/3), but I guessed wrong the first time on 2 of them.
Re: Response Rewards 09/10/2020 12:50 PM CDT
>I would very much like to request a toggle for this mechanic. It's very jarring and immersion breaking to have a huge block of text show up. Then show up again if you don't answer. It reminds me a bit of the internet popups of old.

Actually it shows up even if you do get it right.

>submit black
Correct! You've won a Level 1 RPA!
You innately sense that fate has smiled on you, and the world seems just a bit brighter than it did before.
[You have received a role-playing award! Type RPA HELP to review how to use it.]

Later:
The reward period has ended. The correct response was:
black

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Response Rewards 09/10/2020 10:24 PM CDT
>Or people who have trouble with typos

Ok. I've allowed for typos now! Good luck.

~ L
Re: Response Rewards 09/11/2020 07:15 AM CDT
Whee! Thanks, Lyneya!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Response Rewards 09/11/2020 07:28 AM CDT
Since it's very hard to test, can you make sure that the `SUBMIT` verb can be used while on a Ranger trail? Some can be as long as 10 minutes so I'd love to be able to respond before the timer runs out.

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Response Rewards 09/11/2020 09:19 AM CDT
>Since it's very hard to test, can you make sure that the `SUBMIT` verb can be used while on a Ranger trail?

I did a thing. SUBMIT now works on ranger trails. As a happy side effect so do many other system-level verbs. This is live in Prime and Plat, and will go to TF in a week or so if nothing weird crops up.

~ L
Re: Response Rewards 09/11/2020 09:22 AM CDT
Ranger update, technically! As the kids say, maybe: PogChamp

Also, I am a big fan of the trivia. Extra RPAs are a nice bonus, too. Thanks for the work and for being so responsive.
Re: Response Rewards 09/11/2020 10:45 AM CDT
Thank you!
Re: Response Rewards 09/11/2020 11:19 AM CDT
>I did a thing. SUBMIT now works on ranger trails. As a happy side effect so do many other system-level verbs. This is live in Prime and Plat, and will go to TF in a week or so if nothing weird crops up.

Similar request for climb practice.
Re: Response Rewards 09/11/2020 02:10 PM CDT
>Similar request for climb practice.

This one should be good, too. You can check by typing SUBMIT alone while engaged in practice climbing. You should see:

Response reward period is not active.

~ L
Re: Response Rewards 09/15/2020 07:56 PM CDT
Thanks for the effort.We players who are wordy make find it hard to get the answer correct, but its an interesting addition to our game. Thanks!

Karturis The Dwarf
Re: Response Rewards 09/15/2020 10:41 PM CDT

And now there is a toggle. See FLAGS command.

~ L
Re: Response Rewards 09/15/2020 11:41 PM CDT
>And now there is a toggle. See FLAGS command.

~ L<

Thank you very much!
Re: Response Rewards 09/16/2020 12:22 PM CDT
Just wanted to mention that cliff climbing (like the one to marble gargoyles) currently prevents you from using Submit until you make it all the way off the cliff, which can take a while.
Re: Response Rewards 09/16/2020 12:35 PM CDT
>> And now there is a toggle. See FLAGS command.

I'm personally leaving this enabled. It's fun.

That said, I have to wonder if the toggle itself named well. It's kinda confusing, and named unlike everything else in FLAGS.

>flag ResponsRewardOff on
You will no longer receive occasional trivia for the response reward system.

>flag ResponsRewardOff off
You will now receive occasional trivia for the response reward system.

Would something else work better? Like:
ResponseTrivia
TriviaQuestions
TriviaPrompts
ShowTrivia
ResponseRewards

The description next to the flag is fine. Setting the "off" flag to "on", though, broke my brain a little bit.

- I
Re: Response Rewards 09/16/2020 03:02 PM CDT

I agree with TK-421. That was quite a head scratcher. I like his last suggestion, just call the flag "ResponseRewards" and turn it on if you want them and off if you don't.
Re: Response Rewards 09/16/2020 03:14 PM CDT
>> That was quite a head scratcher.

Lyneya updated it, based on some feedback in the player Discord. It's now: HideTrivia

Which is much better. Thanks for the quick fix!

- I
Re: Response Rewards 09/16/2020 03:28 PM CDT

How is that better? To see the trivia you turn off the hiding of it. It's like turn off turning it off. No different than it was. Sorry to be picky, we all appreciate the new system and the ability to turn it on/off. Maybe there is a technical reason you have to do it that way? :)
Re: Response Rewards 09/16/2020 04:00 PM CDT
>> How is that better?

Because it's easier to gauge which way this switch is flipped?

>flag HideTrivia on
You will not receive occasional trivia for the response reward system.

>flag HideTrivia off
You will receive occasional trivia for the response reward system.

>> No different than it was.

Sounds like you want an opt-in, rather than an opt-out. My request was to improve the labeling of the toggle itself. It's unequivocally better now that it was, and it matches (stylistically) everything else in FLAGS now. That's a win for me.

- I