Stopping individual berserks 07/05/2014 04:31 PM CDT
In case this hasn't been pointed out...

> BERSERK STOP TSUNAMI

>
The massive wall of rage within you crashes to a sudden halt!
The wild fire powering your limbs flickers, and then goes out entirely.

Both Tsunami and Wildfire were knocked out there. Can this get looked into?

Thanks,

Breyog
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/05/2014 05:41 PM CDT
>> BERSERK HELP

BERSERK LIST - Recall all known berserker rages you can perform.
BERSERK <ability> - Throw yourself into the specified frenzy.
BERSERK STOP - Attempts to end all active berserks.

This was intended to be a limitation of Berserks. Forms and meditations have limits on the startup (60s startup to full strength, roundtime, nocombat) so I was able to justify their selective stoppage. Berserks are immediate on at full strength, so the tradeoff is they must run to completion.

Maybe a good idea would be a mastery that allows for selective stopping of berserks?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/06/2014 02:22 PM CDT
<<Maybe a good idea would be a mastery that allows for selective stopping of berserks?>>

Kodius, can we have more than one mastery? It was my understanding we can't and I don't know that a mastery of just selectively stopping berserk, or any other form, meditation would be enough I would want waste my only mastery for.

Now if we can have multiple masteries, then awesome. I too, hate that I stop all berserks when I stop just one.

<<Berserks are immediate on at full strength, so the tradeoff is they must run to completion.>>

I'm actually surprised about your reason not to implement this. I understand that old berserks did have to run itself out, but we can stop berserks now, so I'm confused.

Shinarah
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/06/2014 02:23 PM CDT
>Now if we can have multiple masteries, then awesome. I too, hate that I stop all berserks when I stop just one.

You can have as many as you can afford.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/06/2014 02:55 PM CDT
>I'm actually surprised about your reason not to implement this. I understand that old berserks did have to run itself out, but we can stop berserks now, so I'm confused.

Each ability has penalties and benefits. Benefit for berserks: instant full power effect. They require no mana, no ramp up time. Drawback: they have to run to completion (or you can stop them all) and have short duration.

Benefit for forms and meditations: longer duration, less resource consumption, can be stopped at will. Drawback: takes 60 seconds to reach full power, and meditations require sit/kneel/chakrelalalala.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/07/2014 08:11 PM CDT
Geez I never let a berserk run to completion except for berserk avalanche. Guess I'm too nervous about inner fire loss. It's much better though with analyze flame---I love the new analyzations and it is so much fun to be a barb. Thanks for all the work GMs, especially you, Kodius, for your prompt attention. ::gives Kodius a tail tickle and then hauls buns to the obstacle course for punishment::

Shinarah
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/07/2014 08:21 PM CDT
<<Geez I never let a berserk run to completion>>

Weird I ALWAYS finish, I assumed that was the point.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/07/2014 09:11 PM CDT
I love you.
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/07/2014 10:56 PM CDT
>Geez I never let a berserk run to completion except for berserk avalanche. Guess I'm too nervous about inner fire loss.

0.o

You...Uh, you know that the IF loss happens when you start the berserk...right? Because I, uh, I have no idea why you'd stop berserks. Literally none. It makes no sense. All the costs are at the start, nothing happens at the end. If you've been using them in 3.0/3.1 as you say, you should have noticed that they're so different from DR 2.0 that there's not even a comparison, and that there's no penalty on ending.

Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/08/2014 06:18 PM CDT
Couldn't selective stopping of berserks just be rolled into Titan?
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/08/2014 08:47 PM CDT
<<You...Uh, you know that the IF loss happens when you start the berserk...right? Because I, uh, I have no idea why you'd stop berserks. Literally none. It makes no sense. All the costs are at the start, nothing happens at the end.>>

Thanks for the info. I know you weren't being sarcastic or anything. I'm just one of those players who play for fun and enjoyment and sometimes forgets little details like berserks and how they work.

As for stopping berserks...when I use avalanche, and I get all rested up, why keep it going? Though from now on I will try to remember to let them run out.

Shinarah--happily training and making "mistakes"
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/08/2014 10:32 PM CDT
>As for stopping berserks...when I use avalanche, and I get all rested up, why keep it going?

Because presumably you're doing something which consumes your fatigue, so having a pulsing fatigue regenerator running would be beneficial? There's really, sincerely, honestly, literally, ZERO benefit to ending it. It doesn't apply any penalties, you've already paid the cost, in full, and there's not a re-use timer you're going to hit by doing a cancel/start. You're also putting a cramp on your magic learning.

>I know you weren't being sarcastic or anything.

I wasn't. I was being quite honest, I can't physically understand why someone would start/stop a berserk in current DR gameplay. There's no benefit to ending them.

>I'm just one of those players who play for fun and enjoyment and sometimes forgets little details like berserks and how they work.

I do too. That's why I read the wiki, so that I don't just cripple my character :-/

Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/09/2014 06:57 AM CDT
<<I wasn't. I was being quite honest, I can't physically understand why someone would start/stop a berserk in current DR gameplay. There's no benefit to ending them.>>

See what you've done, it's physical now.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/09/2014 12:35 PM CDT
I tried doing it your way--letting the berserks run out and (big surprise) didn't tank my inner fire. Now that I'm not a newbie barblet and with analyze flame I guess I can rest easy using the berserks (and forms etc.).

Thanks for the info and as for wiki--I read it too, but I could be looking at the wrong pages. I wish elanthipedia could have a contents or index feature where I could find all the pages relating to barbs out there. Perhaps like listing the merchants for the guildfest all on 1 page with links to each one?

Shinarah
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/09/2014 01:52 PM CDT
When I come out of combat to repair armor, sell bundles or pouches, get healed, or whatever, I stop all forms and berserks. It's just my preference is all.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/09/2014 05:22 PM CDT
>I wish elanthipedia could have a contents or index feature where I could find all the pages relating to barbs out there.

Everything for the guild (within reason, and berserk mechanics count as within reason) should be linked from the main guild page.

If something needs to be created, I'd suggest contacting Caraamon/Tev and getting them to make a page which you then fill.

If something needs to be better explained or clarified...do it. You log in with your play.net account, and then hit the 'edit' button.

I don't think this would have helped in this case, since you were laboring under knowledge which was right at some point, but was outdated (ergo you wouldn't have looked up 'how does this thing I know about work' in all likelyhood).

>Now that I'm not a newbie barblet and with analyze flame I guess I can rest easy using the berserks (and forms etc.).

I run this way with barbarians straight out of the character generator (#goto agonar, choose avalanche, #goto rats) and did it pre/post flame, so it's not really dependent on skill or circle.

Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/09/2014 05:23 PM CDT
>>If something needs to be created, I'd suggest contacting Caraamon/Tev and getting them to make a page which you then fill.

Just as an aside, no one needs to contact a site admin to create a page. Anyone can create a page.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/09/2014 11:20 PM CDT
From my testing of berserks that I have, they don't all work the same. Of course more advanced berserks cost more IF to start but passive IF regen will vary implying a continued IF cost. This is very apparant using Tsunami.
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/10/2014 01:16 AM CDT
>>Teveshszat: Just as an aside, no one needs to contact a site admin to create a page. Anyone can create a page.

Although if you don't know what you're doing or are unsure about something, by all means contact an administrator or moderator. You can get in touch with them by posting on their talk pages.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/10/2014 05:36 AM CDT
>>Teveshszat: Just as an aside, no one needs to contact a site admin to create a page. Anyone can create a page.

As I am totally computer dysfunctional, you really don't want me to try to make a page and I'm not sure I should be allowed to edit either. After Caraamon et.al. went to so much trouble to move Elanthipedia to Simu's servers...nah, don't even wanna try it. Now I know why Caraamon plays a Tog. No hair to pull out.

And regarding the pages already being linked...some are bork or old, I think. If I can find the missing page or something, I will let Caraamon know.

Shinarah
Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/10/2014 07:29 AM CDT
>As I am totally computer dysfunctional, you really don't want me to try to make a page and I'm not sure I should be allowed to edit either.

They retain infinite (not really, but many) backups, and a new one is created each time you edit, so if you edit a page and it comes out wrong, they simply restore it from a backup.

In general, what you want to do is click 'edit' and then only change the text that needs to be changed. If you don't mess with the formatting stuff, it will all stay the same. Especially if you edit with the template. There's no reason to slap yourself and go 'I'm a terrible person who shouldn't ever handle wiki' because it's pretty much idiot proof. Caraamon's overworked. If something is wrong, I'd suggest trying to fix it yourself.

Re: Stopping individual berserks 07/10/2014 09:35 AM CDT
>>In general, what you want to do is click 'edit' and then only change the text that needs to be changed. If you don't mess with the formatting stuff, it will all stay the same. Especially if you edit with the template.

Along with that, if you're really concerned with formatting things wrong, the talk pages on each article can function as a great place to dump information that needs to be cleaned up. I know that's what I've done in the past with some stores.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.