Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 12:00 PM CST
We'll be releasing the avatar feature soon. With this feature comes the ability to turn then off.

The question is, as a default, would you prefer them to be:

1. turned off (so that when released, everyone will have to manually turn them on if they want to see em)
2. turned on (so you immediately see them and have to turn them off if you dislike the feature).

A trivial detail perhaps but worth asking before its too late.

Jeff

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men."
-Herman Melville
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 12:09 PM CST
I doubt it's possible but I'd like to see an option to see only "red name" avatars. It makes them stick out to me a lot easier than the coloured name.

My vote is for default on, though.
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 12:15 PM CST
Default on.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 12:21 PM CST
Default on, please.

~Dulci

"Keep your friends close but your enemies closer."
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 12:23 PM CST
Default on.

Who did not so much fall as sauntered vaguely downwards
~Good Omens
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 12:41 PM CST
default off, please.

-Slaris of the text-only

If your gunna die, die with your boots on - Eddie, courtesy of B. Dickinson
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 12:46 PM CST
Default on.

Qreyq

Come to the Pack House!
http://www.rakashpack.8m.com/

Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 12:47 PM CST
Game on....oh wait.

Default on.

The player of Timargnon/Peperic
"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks." - Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 12:49 PM CST
Default OFF.

I also like the option of having a REDNAME only Avatar option thingy also.

Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 12:58 PM CST
On. And everyone can toggle them off cept Slaris.

Jalika
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 01:12 PM CST
Default On.

~player of ...~

"Too often we...enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
-- John F. Kennedy
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 01:42 PM CST
Default Off. My personal oppinion is when adding new features set default off and allow people to make the descision to use the feature or not.

Arctuniol

"In an open world, Who needs windows or gates?"
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 01:44 PM CST
Except for the new player that comes in in two months and has no clue how to set options like avatars. They don't have a choice to use it because they may not know that it exists.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 01:47 PM CST
>Except for the new player that comes in in two months and has no clue how to set options like avatars. >They don't have a choice to use it because they may not know that it exists.

Don't forget the new player that sees the avatars on automatically, and since he wouldn't know how to turn them on - let's say he wouldn't know how to turn them off. Or change the Avatar.

Point can go both ways :)

Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 02:03 PM CST
>Except for the new player that comes in in two months and has no clue how to set options like avatars. >They don't have a choice to use it because they may not know that it exists.

>>Don't forget the new player that sees the avatars on automatically, and since he wouldn't know how to turn them on - let's say he wouldn't know how to turn them off. Or change the Avatar.

If someone is playing a game on the internet, then hopefully they understand links. What's the difference between the "options" link at the top of the page and the "Forums" link? If one can work the forums, one should (hopefully) be able to figure out that they can click on "Options," too. Granted, this isn't always the case, but for programming purposes you have to assume a base level of user knowledge.

In that vein, it doesn't matter much to me which way the default is set, however I'll probably turn avatars off, given the chance.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 02:26 PM CST
>Point can go both ways :)

Not really.

Person A comes in, sees the avatars, and decides that they don't like them. Assuming they don't understand the concepts behind "Options" and "Profile", they can ask on the boards about turning it off.

Person B comes in, and never sees the avatars. He never knows that they exists, because he also doesn't know the concepts behind "Options" and "Profile". Yet this person would have liked to have had avatars.

One knows they exists, and learns how to turn them off. The other never ends up learning of their existance.

Qreyq

Come to the Pack House!
http://www.rakashpack.8m.com/

Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 02:32 PM CST
It doesn't take much to click on the options link. If you can't take the time, it not my fault.

I'm for the very basics as default. I'll probably turn it on, but the basics should be the default.

Brabs

What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine, what's not bolted down is mine, if it can be pried up it isn't bolted down.
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 02:32 PM CST
Personally I would like to be able to either group toggle or toggle individual avatars on/off. Perhaps another button below the ignore poster button...ignore avatar or something.

As for the default, leave em on to show them off, let people turn them off if they don't want.

starkad
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 02:44 PM CST
I say default on. I use the text only option on the boards and when they first came out I had no idea what erveyone was talking about until a friend IM'd me.

It's easy enough to turn em off if you don't like em.

Plus the defaults right now on the boards have everything why wouldn't it include these?

Da Not So Madd Webba
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 03:28 PM CST
Default on. If it's default off, people might not realize they exist.

Steel.

"Gotta kick it to darkness til it bleeds daylight" - The Barenaked Ladies.
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 03:33 PM CST
I Vote for default ON, yet make sure Ilanya's (Trader Guild Liason) is always off, I told her I was gonna steal it, and truth be told, I WILL!

~Callek, Treasurer of the Order of the Apostles

Care to learn more about the Apostles, interested in joining, or simply want to find a way to contact me?
Visit: http://drapostles.hypermart.net/index.html
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 03:59 PM CST
On by default.

-pete
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 04:51 PM CST
Depends- will it slow my load time. If I'm on a phone connection and being bored.... The load time is slow enough as it is.
If this will affect it, then default to off, please.
Jerevth
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 05:36 PM CST
Default on please.

Blaayd

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?... W.C. Fields
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 07:51 PM CST
>>Jerevth>>Depends- will it slow my load time. If I'm on a phone connection and being bored.... The load time is slow enough as it is. If this will affect it, then default to off, please.

Just to make sure, you do realize that by "default", they mean when it first goes live, right? That same day you could just turn them off and they will stay off until you turn them back on. That's the whole reason for having to be logged in to access board features, it's so the server can store your options settings and remember them for next time (could do that with cookies too, but then you'd have to set them again every time you cleared your internet cache files).

~~~Krin
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/20/2003 07:53 PM CST
And on that note, my vote is for them to default as on.

~~~Krin
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/21/2003 04:24 AM CST
I plead alseep by reason of snoozing at the keys.
Default on...
Thanks for the coffee, Krin
Jerevth
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/21/2003 11:28 AM CST
Well I'm using dial-up because the universe is evil to me.. :cough: but um, I vote on. :)

~Donte's Loon
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/21/2003 09:00 PM CST
Default On

Gypsy Draconita
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/23/2003 12:42 PM CST
Defaul On

Ecoles
"Us loners gotta stay together"
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/23/2003 12:42 PM CST
Default Off

Ecoles
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/23/2003 08:16 PM CST
umm Dantase...
You said both, not sure what that means.

Care to enlighten me, was your first choice a mistake, if so you can delete your own post.

~Callek, Treasurer of the Order of the Apostles

Care to learn more about the Apostles, interested in joining, or simply want to find a way to contact me?
Visit: http://drapostles.hypermart.net/index.html
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/23/2003 09:45 PM CST
I know.

Ecoles
Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/24/2003 07:19 AM CST
I vote default on.

And I want to use my own, what's the word on that? Did we ever hear a yah or nah?

~player of Cetacea

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Re: Avatars Soon, A Question First: 03/24/2003 07:22 AM CST
I think we heard a "Maybe later".

Steel.

"Gotta kick it to darkness til it bleeds daylight" - Bruce Cockburn, who must have been made fun of a lot in high school.