New Forums? 03/10/2015 10:12 AM CDT
I've noticed that http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonrealms already exists. Is there a reason we wouldn't use this instead of the current forums. You could copy the CSS and styling from http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv to allow posters to split out the sections based on interests, you can update it with the DR flair, you can search by user to see what the GMs have posted, you can link to specific posts much more easily, you can keep threads mostly contained, you can tag posts as questions or guild specific etc.., it's easier to moderate, there's nothing really to "move", and it's better at allowing posters to identify useful content.
Re: New Forums? 03/10/2015 11:48 AM CDT
Reddits format has some serious pros and cons. Personally, I think the best forum styling is phpBB.

Reddit is good for popularity of comment conversations rising to the top, but is pretty terrible for flow of conversations.
Re: New Forums? 03/10/2015 11:55 AM CDT
>>Reddits format has some serious pros and cons.

It is nearly impossible to emphasize this point hard enough. Reddit has been the source of both some good communities and some absolutely horrendous, illegal content. All love to those who come to us from the MUD reddit, but hopefully you guys more than anyone else understand it's not really feasible or appropriate for us to pack our bags and move.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: New Forums? 03/10/2015 12:05 PM CDT

heh, some of the extremely toxic communities that exist on reddit notwithstanding, I was more specifically referring to the format of the exchanges that happen. Downvoting comments you disagree with can be a terrible way to have an exchange.

Would it be feasible to upgrade the play.net forum engine? Threaded view is the closest one can get to a reasonable organization, but the lack of search tools are pretty awful.
Re: New Forums? 03/10/2015 12:17 PM CDT
>>Would it be feasible to upgrade the play.net forum engine?

Not my domain, unfortunately. The only thing I really know is what Solomon has publicly said: there's security concerns using 3rd party software and plugging it into the Simu billing/account database. As to Simu upgrading its own forums, that's something I just don't know about.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: New Forums? 03/10/2015 01:04 PM CDT
I never quite understand that one. There seem to be just as many, or more, security concerns with plugging first party forum software into billing. Does anyone still do that? Why are account names on display? Also Elanthipedia.

But if you upgrade the forums I wont have any reason to memorize them anymore!

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: New Forums? 03/10/2015 03:23 PM CDT
>>Jhaliascleric: Reddit . . . is pretty terrible for flow of conversations.

This.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html