stunning sphere 05/07/2006 07:30 PM CDT
Does anyone know what this is? Leraar twitched for a few minutes, but didn't have any damage an Empath could find.

A tiny sparking gold sphere rippling with electrical energy drifts in, crackling with electrical energy.

Flashing a rainbow of colors, the sparking gold sphere expands rapidly then collapses back to its original size.

With a popping sound, the sparking gold sphere sends a fountain of crimson sparks high into the air.

The sparking gold sphere spins in place for a moment, then suddenly dives toward Leraar! Snapping sparks jump from the sparking gold sphere to Leraar, causing him to jerk reflexively.
Leraar is stunned!
The sparking gold sphere lazily drifts west, leaving a shower of tiny sparks in its wake.
Re: stunning sphere 05/07/2006 07:32 PM CDT
One of the new WM cantrips.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: stunning sphere 05/07/2006 07:33 PM CDT
It's the Warrior Mage cantrip called Will O Wisp.

-Chakram

"NVNC ID VIDES, NVNC NE VIDES"

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" - Mae West
Re: stunning sphere 05/08/2006 09:22 AM CDT
Did someone cast it or was it just a random hit? Does the cantrip have a purpose other than annoying other players?
Re: stunning sphere 05/08/2006 12:26 PM CDT
>>Does the cantrip have a purpose other than annoying other players?

Hah. I was going to ask the same thing. It's somewhat irritating to be running along in a group and then suddenly stunned, left behind and very confused. My baby empath had this happen to her yesterday, because of a sphere outside the gem shop.

Player of Margerie
Re: stunning sphere 05/08/2006 05:39 PM CDT
>>Hah. I was going to ask the same thing. It's somewhat irritating to be running along in a group and then suddenly stunned, left behind and very confused.

Well on the plus side you can kill the warmie.

That's always enjoyable.

-Teeklin

This post (including the signature) is in no way meant to offend anyone nor is it an attempt to troll or be "cute". Hopefully my opinions do not conflict with yours in any way.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Re: stunning sphere 05/08/2006 09:41 PM CDT
<<Well on the plus side you can kill the warmie.

The problem was it drifted in, so I couldn't see who cast it.

The stun is really annoying. There ought to be a way to backtrace it.
Re: stunning sphere 05/09/2006 09:22 AM CDT
>>Well on the plus side you can kill the warmie.

If I had any idea who cast it and assuming my circle six empath could kill him/her, according to Chakram the sphere might not give consent because I "walked into the effect." Like I had any choice on the matter.

Enough whining from me though.

Player of Margerie
Re: stunning sphere 05/09/2006 11:29 AM CDT
<< according to Chakram the sphere might not give consent because I "walked into the effect." Like I had any choice on the matter.

I didn't walk into anything. I was sitting in a room and it came to me. I was in the middle of making an enchantement, and if it had come a few seconds earlier it might have messed up what I was doing.

How are we supposed to be able to avoid the stun, especially if we have no way of detecting that there is a danger?
Re: stunning sphere 05/09/2006 11:43 AM CDT
Yeah.. and there doesn't seem to be any sort of skill check for it. I've seen Will o Wisps stun people with much much higher evasion than the WM has TM or any other skill that might be relevant. At the same time, I've seen them miss people who don't have evasion anywhere near what would be necessary to dodge the WM's TM.

-Fuquois-

Milgrym asks, "How does 666 coins strike you?"
Re: stunning sphere 05/10/2006 05:33 PM CDT
lol, you might not want to try killing stuff with your empath it can lead to nasty side effects...

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: stunning sphere 05/10/2006 07:27 PM CDT
<<I've seen Will o Wisps stun people with much much higher evasion than the WM has TM or any other skill that might be relevant>>

There isn't a skill check. The stunning is just part of it's random messaging/activity.

Rigek

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Re: stunning sphere 05/11/2006 06:54 AM CDT
>>you might not want to try killing stuff with your empath - Legeres

Uh, yeah. I know. :D

Player of Margerie
Re: stunning sphere 05/19/2006 07:10 PM CDT
I walked into a hunting area that had a few critters in it and was stunned by one of these. Not so enjoyable.

~Arwinia

It's mind over matter. I don't mind, because you don't matter.
Re: stunning sphere 05/21/2006 06:16 PM CDT
While I agree with the annoying nature of it, I will point out that the stun lasts for approximately one second.

-Fuquois-

"I've been too rich in my words and too cheap in my wine."
-Wildebeeste
Re: stunning sphere 05/23/2006 08:27 PM CDT
>>While I agree with the annoying nature of it, I will point out that the stun lasts for approximately one second.

And 1 second stun can be difference between life and death when you hunt edge of what can. I haven't been hit personally by it, but know if it ended up getting me killed I would be less than happy.

Brabs

Ternith whispers to your group, "the Barbarian never retreats...the warrior will take use of falling back to a better position to kill."
Re: stunning sphere 05/23/2006 10:59 PM CDT
>I haven't been hit personally by it, but know if it ended up getting me killed I would be less than happy.

I believe that would fall clearly under consent laws allowing you to pursue the mage that dropped the sphere.

-Fuquois-

-Wildebeeste
Re: stunning sphere 05/24/2006 01:04 AM CDT
>>I believe that would fall clearly under consent laws allowing you to pursue the mage that dropped the sphere.

The land of Plat is a land of plenty...

I am --- Navak
Re: stunning sphere 05/24/2006 08:31 AM CDT
Is there an actual purpose to the sphere other than to annoy?

Dragamar
Re: stunning sphere 05/24/2006 09:09 AM CDT
>>Is there an actual purpose to the sphere other than to annoy?

Amusement for the warrior mage as they are robbed blind. BTW, will the sphere hit those in hiding; and if so, are they removed from hiding?
Re: stunning sphere 05/24/2006 11:30 AM CDT
>>I believe that would fall clearly under consent laws allowing you to pursue the mage that dropped the sphere.

Which is swell in theory except they can cast them and walk out of the room and if you walk in right after there is no way to know who did it.

~Arwinia

It's mind over matter. I don't mind, because you don't matter.
Re: stunning sphere 05/24/2006 12:19 PM CDT
>Which is swell in theory except they can cast them and walk out of the room and if you walk in right after there is no way to know who did it.

Quite true. We can even blow the sphere into a random room, too, by exhaling on it. I won't speak for all War Mages (because there is inevitably some jackleg who wants to come along and scoff over my audacity), but I would certainly not be upset if the actual stun was removed from the 'stunning' message from the sphere.

I do have to say, though... I've never actually paid attention if it's a real stun or just messaging.

-Fuquois-

-Wildebeeste
Re: stunning sphere 05/24/2006 12:24 PM CDT
The stun from the sphere does not negatively affect one's balance.

Orpheus: "You've been powering this machine with a forsaken child?"
Venture: "What? It's not like I used the whole thing."
Re: stunning sphere 05/24/2006 12:55 PM CDT
The stun is long enough to knock you out of a group if you are moving through the room. That can annoy multiple players at the same time.
Re: stunning sphere 05/24/2006 06:55 PM CDT
<<The stun is long enough to knock you out of a group if you are moving through the room. That can annoy multiple players at the same time.

I want to know if it can knock people out of hiding.

Also, the idea of using it to knock a scripting trader's guarding thief into a stun while the trader wonders off ripe to be pick pocketed is an amazing tantalizing idea. Of course if your wrong and the trader isn't scripting their's a good chance of some retribution, but hey. What's pilfering without the danger.
Re: stunning sphere 06/02/2006 08:59 PM CDT
I believe it can. They also do not think it cheap or unsporting to gang up on you. Me? I'm dodging about 4 of them now...stupid mages.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html