Stupidest Question... EVER 09/24/2005 04:31 PM CDT
Are Wizard scripts considered any kind of programming language? Or even, do they resemble one?

Thanks.

Hallowbrook

Wannabe Blademaster
Re: Stupidest Question... EVER 09/24/2005 04:35 PM CDT
<<Are Wizard scripts considered any kind of programming language? Or even, do they resemble one?

Trying to pad your resume?

Trebber

Your mech lore ranks could care less if the paper is blue or plain.

GM XXXXXX "Well, we can't please everyone."

You say, "True, but that is no reason not to try."
Re: Stupidest Question... EVER 09/24/2005 04:36 PM CDT
Scripting languages are not programming languages, but they're close cousins. So no, Wizard scripts aren't considered a programming language, but if you are good at Wizard scripting you could probably pick up a basic programming language without too much trouble.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"Is glas iad na cnoic i bhfad uainn."
-Distant hills look green.
Re: Stupidest Question... EVER 09/24/2005 05:27 PM CDT
I actually know C++ fairly well.

Does wizard scripting resemble any contemporary scripting language at all well?

Heh, I actually don't need to pad any resumes anymore (thank heavens), but... still curious about what exactly it is I know how to do.

Hallowbrook

Wannabe Blademaster
Re: Stupidest Question... EVER 09/24/2005 06:49 PM CDT
Yeah...HTML (but without the spiffy tag system) :)

Seriously, if I had to pick one language that it most closely resembles I'd probably say the old BASIC flavors, without the line numbers.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Stupidest Question... EVER 09/24/2005 06:50 PM CDT
They have a few features of full programming languages. They store data in variables, and receive instructions, and can repeat when you loop correctly.

But it's a scripting language. Close, but not a programming language as Ahmir said. Is it similar to other scripting languages? Eh, they're kinda all unique in their own ways.

If you look at keyboard/mouse macro programs, like AutoIt, you'll see that it's rather similar in structure, but has its own instruction set and engine running in the background to interpret instruction lines.

If you know how to write scripts for DR's front ends, it's very similar to other scripting engines. A scripting engine really is just a set of instructions sent to an interpreting program that carries out the instructions. Microsoft's SYSPREP utility in conjunction with an answer file is another example of a scripting program used in a completely different way. The engine runs and takes answers from the answer file as it needs instead of the script file being a set of instructions.

~Brady, player of I'm a Lover Not a Fighter Elavin Rismel.

You tap a pair of leather pants with a grey and a navy blue handkerchief stuffed in the right pocket that you are wearing.
Re: Stupidest Question... EVER 09/24/2005 06:55 PM CDT
DR scripting for any extended period of time gives me a perl headache.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Rev. Reene, player of a few
"Goodness had nothing to do with it, dearie." - Mae West
Re: Stupidest Question... EVER 09/24/2005 07:01 PM CDT
>>perl headache

w0rd...

~Brady, player of I'm a Lover Not a Fighter Elavin Rismel.

You tap a pair of leather pants with a grey and a navy blue handkerchief stuffed in the right pocket that you are wearing.
Re: Stupidest Question... EVER 09/25/2005 10:18 AM CDT
Hey, I wish visual basic had the simple pause command that our scripting languages have.

The fierce blast probably stopped its heart, since it's now lying on the ground, on fire, in a dozen bloody pieces.

Farluk looks at the broken pieces.