Prev_page Previous 1
Why people will complain about a system ... 09/23/2004 12:38 PM CDT
... for a year or two before the system ever comes out.

-- "Hey, this is unfair."

** "What is unfair? Post your experience with the system and we will talk about it."

-- "Come on. The system isn't out yet."

** "Exactly my point."

-- "It's just unfair because ... because ..."

** "Because of your impression on how it is going to be?"

Trebber
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 09/23/2004 02:16 PM CDT
LOL that kinda thing never ceases to amuse me.

~Dulcinia

(Rikulf dances around, waves his arms around, and points at Dulcinia over his shoulder)
Rikulf says, "it's barb talk"
Rikulf says, "you wouldn't understand"
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 09/23/2004 02:20 PM CDT
Sometimes, though, people make suggestions about an upcoming system, or comments on how it's been described by GMs, and people will jump on them for complaining about it when they're just putting in their opinion about game changes.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/19/2004 10:59 AM CDT
There are some things like that I find understandable though.

Someone explain to me, in a purely IG, IC manner, exactly how it's going to be that all the top forgers in the land will wake up one day not knowing how to forge a thumb tack without going to see a career hall.. leader... person thing?

-Aya

"If you are flammable and have legs, you can never be blocking a fire exit" - Mitch Hedberg.

>You pull Nasmyth to his feet, but he just falls back over since he is dead.
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/19/2004 11:06 AM CDT
>>Someone explain to me, in a purely IG, IC manner, exactly how it's going to be that all the top forgers in the land will wake up one day not knowing how to forge a thumb tack without going to see a career hall.. leader... person thing?

Where did anyone ever say that?

All I saw the GM's say was that the forgers would still have to work their way up the ladder within the Hall, which might entail having to make a few hundred thumb tacks (to use your example) to clear the first rung of the ladder, then some other task(s) on the next rung and so on.

Their skill will still allow them to do (for the most part, I have no idea what the final plan is) what they were able to do beforehand. Nor do you have to be a member of the Hall in order to be able to forge at all, it's just that by being a listed forger with the Hall, you will have access to tools and features the "amateur" forgers do not, because they are held close to the vest by the Hall.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/19/2004 01:26 PM CDT
Additionaly, not all major systems changes are going to be able to be phased in, in a reasonable IG, IC manner. The closest example to something like this happening was the magic rewrite, where all NMUs 'lost' the ability to use runes, et cetera. They all just woke up one day and could no longer use runes.

Now, given the choice between:

The system changes being rolled in quickly, with no IC/IG justification for why some forgers may no longer be competentent int heir craft, and

The system changes being delayed further, with a ridiculous 'event' involving the laws of physics changing so that the act of pounding metal no longer occurs the same way these people remember it.

I'm gonna have to pick the first one. Not all system changes can be expressed in an IC manner; retroactive continuity is not necessarily a bad thing.

"Perhaps the angel world might even be set up with ectoplasm causally dependent on physical properties, so that wombat copulation on the physical plane sometimes gives rise to baby ectoplasmic wombats on the nonphysical plane." - David J. Chalmers
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/19/2004 01:51 PM CDT
<<The system changes being delayed further, with a ridiculous 'event' involving the laws of physics changing so that the act of pounding metal no longer occurs the same way these people remember it.

Ooh, we can have a new hunting area and then read the numerous posts about how unfair it is because you need to be a forger or have a forged weapon to get in there.

I am all for implementing changes (especially the very much needed ones) as soon as they are ready to go without creating a multiyear development program to herald in the release. I mean, I am pretty sure the traders would have to agree with this (origami and 100th circle).

Trebber
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/19/2004 03:41 PM CDT
>>Someone explain to me, in a purely IG, IC manner, exactly how it's going to be that all the top forgers in the land will wake up one day not knowing how to forge a thumb tack without going to see a career hall.. leader... person thing?

is there a patron of the forges? Maybe Damaris stole his hammer and anvil or something and as a previously unknown side effect everyone forgot how to forge?

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/19/2004 05:00 PM CDT

to say one just woke up and could do it is .... well kind of stupid...

almost everything in DR is like that...

verbs.
new attacks
new spells
new almost anything.
horses
boats
a Providence
and go on for infinity.

people wake up and its just there. If anything that is a common occurrence around here.

hell you can know a person for years... Then tomorrow they say meet my new Son and this person is some 25 year old. DUH!

This is the land of Miracles...

"Voodoo keyboard hex made me type this way!"
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/19/2004 10:33 PM CDT
Yeah Soim, I know. But it really doesn't make it any better, does it?

And Krin, you're right, but Mags going from Master Weaponsmith Magdar Bluefletch to career hall peon-in-training is still messed up.

Same goes for you if you go into tanning or woodworking.

Same goes for Clynlyn as an armorer... etc.

The thing is, I don't mind the idea of careers, but they should be all things new, and not touching the guild-affiliated systems already in the works. I LIKE new developments, but some new developments are just the scrambling of old things to look more shiny and new. Take barbarian berserks as a prime example.

It's all opinion, of course, but I really just don't get it, and I haven't seen one good justification (other than Soim's, but just because it's sadly true) yet.

-Aya

"If you are flammable and have legs, you can never be blocking a fire exit" - Mitch Hedberg.

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/20/2004 12:29 PM CDT
>>And Krin, you're right, but Mags going from Master Weaponsmith Magdar Bluefletch to career hall peon-in-training is still messed up.

What's the problem with that? He'll still be the first person to the top and the one with the most knowledge/experience. On the relative scale of things, he is still Top Dog.

It doesn't matter that you are the CEO of a major multinational corporation today, you quit and go hire on at a new company, if they say by company policy you start in the mail room and work your way up, then so be it, it's the same for everyone else. Now ... given your skills, talents and experience, chances are you will be running the new company by end of next year, compared to the 10- or 20-year long haul it might take someone starting out with that company for the first time in that field.

It's a new group, he starts at the bottom and proves himself, like everyone else. Not being given a free pass isn't a punishment. If they did give a free pass, that would be a bonus. With his skills and experience he will likely prove himself faster than anyone else and be first to the top of the hill.

For that matter, who's to say maybe the Hall Masters might not just start out by saying that only those who have maker's marks can join, at first, then open to everyone else a few weeks later, giving the "established forgers" a head start? They still have to finish the race (to continue the analogy) but their proven accomplishments merit them pole position and a one lap lead from the start. But even if not, they're running the hottest car on the track, they'll probably take it anyway.

Kinda like how when certain Guilds finally released the ability to circle past 100th, only those who already achieved it were allowed to actually circle for a while, acknowledging their hard work compared to those who only just arrived right after the gate was unlocked. But those who first passed through weren't given free circles, they were only granted what they actually earned ... and when the quests themselves are finally released ("soon" <shudder>), they will still have to go complete the quest before they can circle again. Could happen with careers, who knows?

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/20/2004 01:11 PM CDT
<<>>And Krin, you're right, but Mags going from Master Weaponsmith Magdar Bluefletch to career hall peon-in-training is still messed up.

well shouldnt Apu start as grandmaster of alchemy, paper, stonecutting and clothworking, then? If not I think its messed up. its only fair to start everyone with a clean slate with the systems fully fleshed out for all guilds/characters to be given a balanced chance to participate. If one has already earned the skills to be a master then one will quickly regain the rank.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/20/2004 01:43 PM CDT
>>well shouldnt Apu start as grandmaster of alchemy, paper, stonecutting and clothworking, then? If not I think its messed up. its only fair to start everyone with a clean slate with the systems fully fleshed out for all guilds/characters to be given a balanced chance to participate. If one has already earned the skills to be a master then one will quickly regain the rank.

Then put enchanting in there too, so it is like the other creation systems. You have to learn it all over again. Would only be fair.

I know it not going to happen, but both are skill based, but the non magical creation systems have to be totally relearned.

Brabs

It's fascinating, though, how much like an oral culture this can be when it's carried out entirely in text.--GM Natala
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/20/2004 06:35 PM CDT
<<Then put enchanting in there too, so it is like the other creation systems. You have to learn it all over again. Would only be fair.

For WM enchanting, everyone will start off with 0 ranks in the lore skill. No one will be grandfathered anything.

Trebber
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/20/2004 08:24 PM CDT
Correct. Everyone will have to start from scratch. Granted, higher circle peoples will have better mentals and will be capable of learning the skill faster. Of course, it's also a creation system designed around the use of a brand new guild-only skill; it's not a creation system that's theoretically open to all. If there were a 'general enchantment' system which any guild could use, it would be a new system and therefore everyone would have to start from scratch regardless.

"Perhaps the angel world might even be set up with ectoplasm causally dependent on physical properties, so that wombat copulation on the physical plane sometimes gives rise to baby ectoplasmic wombats on the nonphysical plane." - David J. Chalmers
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/20/2004 11:21 PM CDT
>>For WM enchanting, everyone will start off with 0 ranks in the lore skill. No one will be grandfathered anything.

Yes WMs will. But MM's will not from what I understand. It is a creation system just like forging, fletching, etc. It takes magic skill to do, but from way things sounded, the best at doing the creations will be from the careers. I don't think should be open to non magic users, but would seem fair to still put it in careers, but require you to be magically inclined.

Brabs

It's fascinating, though, how much like an oral culture this can be when it's carried out entirely in text.--GM Natala
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/21/2004 08:53 AM CDT
<< I don't think should be open to non magic users, but would seem fair to still put it in careers, but require you to be magically inclined.

Then what creations systems should magic folks be restricted from to balance things out?

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/21/2004 09:54 AM CDT
>>Then what creations systems should magic folks be restricted from to balance things out?

Anything they wouldn't feasibly be able to do. I'm a barb, how am I going to enchant something? Only makes sense that if I don't have magic skills, that I can't be enchanting.

Brabs

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/21/2004 10:20 AM CDT
<<Anything they wouldn't feasibly be able to do. I'm a barb, how am I going to enchant something? Only makes sense that if I don't have magic skills, that I can't be enchanting.

But I do have magic skills and am in a non magic guild.

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/21/2004 12:11 PM CDT
>Then what creations systems should magic folks be restricted from to balance things out?

Lockpick carving

'Slimy Yet Satisfying' - Miko Mido

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/21/2004 06:40 PM CDT
Brabs, MMs will not have access to WM enchanting period. Why would they have anything grandfathered?

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/21/2004 08:47 PM CDT
>>But I do have magic skills and am in a non magic guild.

"Enchanting" is an ambigious word being used for what will eventually be multiple systems. For this post, I am talking specifically about Lunar Enchanting (Moon Mage sigil-based enchantment).

I have learned that saying "never" about something is not safe. I will not say that Lunar Enchanting will never be open to non-Moon Mages. However, "over my dead body" is a safer statement.

The basic requirements to be a Lunar Enchanter goes beyond mere ranks and are not achievable by anyone without a Moon Mage's special talents. I do not see this changing anytime in the forseeable future.

What interaction Lunar Enchanting will have with the career system, if any, has yet to be ironed out.

-Armifer
"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." H.P. Lovecraft
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/22/2004 09:46 AM CDT
>>Brabs, MMs will not have access to WM enchanting period. Why would they have anything grandfathered?

I never specified WM enchanting for MM's. I was speaking enchanting in general. And when did I ever mention grandfathering anything?

If one creation going to careers, no reason enchanting shouldn't too.

Brabs

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/22/2004 11:17 AM CDT
>>>>For WM enchanting, everyone will start off with 0 ranks in the lore skill. No one will be grandfathered anything.

>>Yes WMs will. But MM's will not from what I understand.

I was replying to the above, but I guess I misunderstood. Sorry.

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/22/2004 12:00 PM CDT
"If one creation going to careers, no reason enchanting shouldn't too."

Sure there is. It's a guild ability first and a creation system second.

Furthermore....

1. Making enchanting require a career would strip a moonmage guild ability and move it into careers. This would be like requiring warmages to join a familiar-club. Or requiring barbs to join a dance troupe. You don't have to do this, because these are abilities that are a part of being a barb - just like lunar enchanting is a part of being a MM.

2. Moonmages are more or less required to either enchant, or perform some of the actions involved in enchanting, to effectively circle past a certain point (simply observing fails to be an adequate way to learn astrology). It would be exceedingly lame to have to take up a career just to circle effectively.
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/22/2004 12:07 PM CDT
I believe he was referring to, partly, the fact that Warrior Mages are getting their own form of enchanting sometime in the future; perhaps he doesn't realise that WM is significantly different than MM enchanting, and that cleric enchanting will be significantly different than both of them; and that each of them will be heavily dependant on guild-specific abilities and skills.

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/22/2004 03:40 PM CDT
>>Making enchanting require a career would strip a moonmage guild ability and move it into careers. This would be like requiring warmages to join a familiar-club. Or requiring barbs to join a dance troupe. You don't have to do this, because these are abilities that are a part of being a barb - just like lunar enchanting is a part of being a MM.

Loosing an ability, oh like forging.

A barbarian's inherent understanding of weapons makes him or her a natural at the forge. Anyone can forge a crude weapon, but only barbarians can produce legendary quality weapons sought after by all.

So that means that this should be left with barbs then.

>>I believe he was referring to, partly, the fact that Warrior Mages are getting their own form of enchanting sometime in the future; perhaps he doesn't realise that WM is significantly different than MM enchanting, and that cleric enchanting will be significantly different than both of them; and that each of them will be heavily dependant on guild-specific abilities and skills.

Oh, quite aware, but they are taking stuff away from some guilds to put them into careers. Only magic users should have access to those careers, but if going to take part of other guilds away, just be even about doing so.

Brabs

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/22/2004 04:07 PM CDT
You are not losing an ability that was exclusive to your guild in any way. Everyone can forge weapons. Everyone will be able to forge weapons as a career.

Moonmages, exclusively, can do lunar enchanting. Even as a career, moon mages will, exclusively, be able to do lunar enchanting - so it's a pointless suggestion.

You're not making a point, you're simply being contrary.
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/22/2004 11:20 PM CDT
Correct. Like certain barbarians used preach all the time; anyone can forge, you just need the skills. If you don't have the skills, train harder.

This is more true now than it was before. Once careers come out, everyone really will be on equal footing - the only thing that will matter is your ranks.

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/24/2004 04:00 PM CDT
Right sure, that's all fine and good to say now, but guild-preferred (yes preferred, not based) systems like forging and tanning are being stripped away and put in careers. We won't have a creation system to call our own anymore, even if it's only ours now because of a bonus we have, it's still very much in the realm of a barbarian to be the best weapon forger, with nearly no chance of rivalry from outside.

Now everyone will be able to forge 'equally' depending on their appropriate mech-split lore skill and their position in their career. yay... that's one creation system for anyone who wants to persue it.

Moon Mage sigil based enchanting is a creation system that cannot be taken away from Moon Mages currently without a total detrement to their existence... but it's still a creation system that can earn them massive amounts of money.

Warrior Mage weapon enchanting, again, a creation system that will be guild based (not preferred) and will allow them for their own individual source of income.

Those last two will be ON TOP of any career path they choose, so effectively they each now have double the capacity to generate income that any other guild may have.

I say again, the guild-oriented systems should be left to be learned the way they are, and advantaged to who they are, and only new things should be put into the career system. There are more than enough interesting new careers out there that have been mentioned that can be instituted without tearing things out of people's hands just to make the new system on the block look shinier and more interesting.

I really wouldn't mind at all if careers were cannibalized and given out to other guilds that don't have their own creation systems, as long as it's all kept evenly spread. You can argue all you want that this will make an even spread, but you'll still have MMs and WMs twice as far ahead as anyone else in the long-run, no?

-Aya

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/24/2004 04:46 PM CDT
I suspect that WM Enchanting will not be the cash cow that MM enchanting is, simply because of the lack of commonly used, easy-to-create product.

Will it be lucrative under the right circumstances? You bet. But it's not going to be as common as MM enchanting, nor have the assembly-line quality of forging.

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/24/2004 05:39 PM CDT
I suspect that WM Enchanting will not be the cash cow that MM enchanting is, simply because of the lack of commonly used, easy-to-create product.

Will it be lucrative under the right circumstances? You bet. But it's not going to be as common as MM enchanting, nor have the assembly-line quality of forging.>>

Perhaps, perhaps not. And what if some of the greaters elder mages decide to take up forging as their career? They've basically got a market corner they don't have to share with anyone. Non-forging mages, and non WM forgers will all have to haggle and bait one another to get the same job done that the other single individual can do, and that singular individual won't have to cost-share or profit-share with anyone. They most likely and probably WILL set the market standard for forged enchanted weapons at the expense of those who don't have the luxury of being able to do both at once.

It's like MM's who have their own pet thieves to go get their own gweth stones. I mean, if they raised them both up, sure it's their business, but that MM is still making a hefty profit over the MM's who legitimately... well... ok, maybe not legitimately, but in a business transaction purchase their stones and whatnot from third-party thieves. You see what I mean?

-Aya

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/24/2004 05:53 PM CDT
The thing is, weapon enchanting is NOT permanent, and enchanting can be applied to existing weapons of suitable construction - since damage is inflicted during the enchanting process proportional to the strength of the enchantment. It's not necessary to forge a new blade specifically for enchanting purposes - people can have their existing blades enchanted.

Also, weapon enchanting is liable to be a very individual process, with results tailored to specific needs. Besides, it's still in proposal form. All we really know is the basic process of how an enchantment is created - we don't actually know what enchantments will DO.

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/24/2004 06:22 PM CDT
I'm not bashing weapon enchanting itself, don't get me wrong, but you still can't argue that someone with two creation systems in their hands are going to not be making more than the rest of us who only have one. I understand what you're saying, and I partially agree... but it's not about that system in itself, it's about Mages keeping their fun creation system while noone else does, and getting the benefit of two creation systems at once.

Even if weapon enchanting is only really profitable to SOME of the mages out there, it's still two possibilities to make money at once, while NMU's, Clerics, and magic using, but non magic primary guilds can only access one to it's highest potential. That's the only thing that's bothering me...

Sure it makes no sense for enchanting to go into careers, because it'd be limited from NMUs to enjoy, but at the same time, they're still taking other guild preferred creation systems and freely handing them out to everyone. I just believe that if we kept those as they are, and added in all the new careers as options to everyone, it'd be alot better. That's just my personal belief.

-Aya

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/24/2004 06:24 PM CDT
I am ignorant and lazy. So rather than me go looking, will someone tell me an example of weapon enchanting?

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/24/2004 06:56 PM CDT
I don't see how you think, say, a WM who invests in both WM enchanting and weapon forging is even going to be able to compete on either front.

And what about people who decide to forge weapons, AND forge armor, AND tan things, AND make jewelry... they've got four creation systems in their hands. Are they going to be making more than the person who focuses on enchanting only, or the person who focuses on forging weapons only?

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/24/2004 07:11 PM CDT
Because, weapon enchanting will be based on one new lore skill. The older mages especially with their skyrocket mentals won't have much of a problem training it up if they choose. That's cake.
And why would they not be able to compete in forging? It'll be their chosen mastered career, and they're weapon/lore secondary, so it seems like a pretty sure-fire fit to me.

Also, you can only master in one career hall, and most people only care to buy the best... you don't hear many people advertising or buying 30pt. longbows do you? No. mid-quality goblin hide leathers? If so, that's news to me. So regardless of how much you dabble in multiple careers, you won't make much of anything in your secondary hall, because you can never master it.

-Aya

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/24/2004 07:24 PM CDT
<<Right sure, that's all fine and good to say now, but guild-preferred (yes preferred, not based) systems like forging and tanning are being stripped away and put in careers. We won't have a creation system to call our own anymore, even if it's only ours now because of a bonus we have, it's still very much in the realm of a barbarian to be the best weapon forger, with nearly no chance of rivalry from outside.

Yawn

Trebber
Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/25/2004 12:50 AM CDT
Your argument is based on assumptions that, taken as givens, I cannot refute. Instead, I must simply reply that you need to rethink your basic assumptions on this matter.

Re: Why people will complain about a system ... 10/25/2004 08:45 AM CDT
>>Sure it makes no sense for enchanting to go into careers, because it'd be limited from NMUs to enjoy, but at the same time, they're still taking other guild preferred creation systems and freely handing them out to everyone. I just believe that if we kept those as they are, and added in all the new careers as options to everyone, it'd be alot better. That's just my personal belief.

Basically what I was trying to say when started this conversation. Doesn't make sense to put enchanting in careers now does it? Yet people have no problem with changing forging and fletching.

I'm not going to argue it anymore since not getting anywhere, just leave those thoughts with you.

Brabs

Prev_page Previous 1