War is GREAT 05/08/2003 11:44 AM CDT
Not real war, of course, but virtually every great story revolves around a war. And that's what we're trying to do here, right? Create great stories that we can participate in? I certainly hope that some of the wonderings and hints will lead to wars; both massive and small.

I don't care about newbies much but there's absolutely no reason a new war has to directly involve the Crossing. That's just GMs being stupid, IMO. People who come in who are genuinely new to the game should get to hear about wars and invasions and such occuring in other provinces which they can get to involve themselves with once they know what they're doing (an incentive for most players, I think). Or, if they want to take risks and dive in, they've basically signed a disclaimer by leaving the Crossing area.
Re: War is GREAT 05/08/2003 11:47 AM CDT
From the rumors flying around having to do with Grishnok, et al--war just might be coming -- involving Ilithi, not crossing.

~ The eye is not satisfied with seeing,
Nor the ear filled with hearing.
That which hath been is that
which shall be,
And that which hath been done is that
which shall be done;
And there is nothing new under the sun.
Re: War is GREAT 05/08/2003 01:56 PM CDT
My thing with the wars is.. they stop everything in DR because its a linear world, and little seems to make sense.

They put up a barricade on the NTR. NO way to get to Haven. Hogwash. Cut through the bush around it for god sakes.

That was the part of the war i HATED the most. Because DR is a computer coded world.. there is no variable in the paths we can take. A room leads N E S W or combinations. However if a room reads NW and S you cant go west. HOGWASH again. Whats to stop people from takin a little bush tour <along with a few beer and a couple buddies>.. to circumnavigate the Barricade.. keeping it to your left.. and staying out of sight. I mean.. they way it is set up now.. they have basically constructed a barricade 1000 miles wide and 1000 feet high.. from Sea to Sea, circling the globe like a longer version of the great wall of china.

There needs to be another way to navigate in DR i think.. Perhaps a new Survival/Lore skill Navigation? Wheres you can step off the beaten path from goblins and make your way to Rock Trolls because you know they are in a NEsterly direction. Or go AROUND a blockade or barricade.

Why is ANY and EVERY mode of travel North/South between Haven and Crossing, solely focused on the NTR.? It might be the MAIN road.. but i really REALLY doubt its the only road.

As for the general sence of war? I enjoyed both the Sorrow War <other than walking my WM> and the Gorbesh War <though i think there were some stupidities there too, in regards to the catapaults we captured.. rather than moving and using them on the stupid barricades.. we decide to act like drunken 6 year old boys and break the bloody thing into splinters.>

Make things make more sense in war and if it doesnt make sence, dont do it. Having people get arrested in a time of war for casting spells. NIX it. This is War. Having people getting arrested for stealing.. NIX it. Have the charges compiled untill the war is over. The idiot guards should be defending the city from eradication rather than catching that Oh so evil charcoal thief. Roaring in town and getting arrested.. NIX it. This is War.

"Oh no Mr Barbarian.. dont Roar to stun the bad guy in the town limits.. Dont TC him, dont Fire Rain those 30 Elpazi death mages, let them gather the information for the catapaults aimed at our Church.. and ransack the bank while they are here... yes thats a much better idea."

"You Guard.. quit defending our town gates and catch that Evil Dusk guy.. he has swayed the balance of good and evil by stealing a piece of charcoal and may have opened the gates to hell, dooming our town... no no never mind that approaching Battalion of Gorbesh, im sure they will wait politely untill we open the gates for them.. Now catch that Dusk fellow.. PRONTO!!!

"Vengence is the need to survive coupled with the desire for revenge."

Luv Dusk :)
Re: War is GREAT 05/08/2003 02:05 PM CDT
>They put up a barricade on the NTR. NO way to get to Haven. Hogwash. Cut through the bush around it for god sakes.

Or take it down...or sneak by it....many people did that. Some Moon Mages slipped by in RF and opened gates near the RiverHaven ferry.

But yeah...I get your point. ::grins::

-Chris, player of Mad Mage Kilan, The Sick

Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is...
Re: War is GREAT 05/08/2003 03:25 PM CDT
<< e needs to be another way to navigate in DR i think.. Perhaps a new Survival/Lore skill Navigation? >>

Or perhaps like the XXXXXX XXXXXX that were released all over the game last year as a special ability for XXXXXXX, the rightful owners of any system that allows non-standard cross-country routes to be run? Yeah, great idea!! ;)

SGD Mean Maelona Morlamgar
Re: War is GREAT 05/08/2003 03:48 PM CDT
Yeah, loose lips sink ships, eh, Peperic? ;)

I changed mine. You going to delete yours? :)

Re: War is GREAT 05/08/2003 03:52 PM CDT
Done.

Player of Peperic Timarson, ranger in training and corn carrier for Lucky, the raccoon.
Tree-house, North Road, River's edge.
"No matter how hard you try, you can't fix stupid."
Re: War is GREAT 05/08/2003 04:33 PM CDT
>>However if a room reads NW and S you cant go west. HOGWASH again. Whats to stop people from takin a little bush tour <along with a few beer and a couple buddies>.. to circumnavigate the Barricade..<<

Sheer drops and free (magical) fire zones.

While I only vaugely remember the Sorrow War (I get the Gorbie and Sorrow mixed around in my mind), I don't think they just built free standing barricade in the middle of a field, from which they hurl insults from like the French in Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail. When you're building a barricade, you choose a natural choke point in the geography and hold it. Alternately, you simply hold the field and fire at anyone who tries and darts across.

Of course, it could be possible with signifigent wilderness skills to climb even the worst drop through the back country. As Maelona pointed out, however, that system is already in place.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: War is GREAT 05/08/2003 04:39 PM CDT
>>Or perhaps like the XXXXXX XXXXXX that were released all over the game last year as a special ability for XXXXXXX,

Those are meant ta be secrets?
Re: War is GREAT 05/08/2003 04:49 PM CDT
<<Those are meant ta be secrets?>>

We don't want the enemy to know we might have other ways to move about. Shhhhhh.

Player of Peperic Timarson, ranger in training and corn carrier for Lucky, the raccoon.
Tree-house, North Road, River's edge.
"No matter how hard you try, you can't fix stupid."
Re: War is GREAT 05/08/2003 05:27 PM CDT
>>>However if a room reads NW and S you cant go west. HOGWASH again. Whats to stop people from takin a little bush tour <along with a few beer and a couple buddies>.. to circumnavigate the Barricade..<<

There's some places it's just impossible to travel in that direction. I got some woods...well, a patch of trees out back that are VERY hard to move through. Bunch of vines with thorns and stuff blocking the way. Really isn't worth trying and most times I don't even get through. And the sheer drops and stuff that was mentioned.

Steel.

Please do not post messages or suggestions in the Guild Guru area here or anywhere else on the boards. - GM Dalzien
Re: War is GREAT 05/09/2003 12:01 PM CDT
Your cynicism is appaling Maelona, borderline insulting.

I know very well about the X's for the X guild.

As a thief.. i at one time thought we had the sole ownership of having a special attack from the shadows.. however with the addition of AMBUSH everyone and thier mother can do it.

Open your eyes to new ideas... Im not saying this should tread on Xers toes but you dont need to be a SpecOps Ranger or Navy Seal to go wandering through the bush towards an area you know well.

Its called Hiking.

Re: War is GREAT 05/09/2003 12:11 PM CDT
<< Your cynicism is appaling Maelona, borderline insulting. >>

Oh, I bet you say that to all the girls. <flutters eyelashes>

Re: War is GREAT 05/09/2003 12:15 PM CDT
the main point was.. i didnt think Elanthia was dense, unnavigatable rainforest filled with thorns and thickets and gigantic canyons at every 50 paces.

I live in Canada and alot of it is bush country and this is not that hard of a concept if me, a 30 year old, slighty out of shape man, can grab a buddy, a 24 of beer, a cooler and all the fishing and camping supplies we will need for a 3 day bush tour to try and find a sweet trout stream or a place where that lunker muskie might be hiding. Ive done it 100s of times in my youth and during the recent past.
Im no Ranger, im no Conservation Officer and im no navigational expert. I know where the sun is, which way is north and where a few key HUGE landmarks are and it really is that simple.

Now throw me into the middle of Alaska, and i'll have a much much harder time finding my way around.. but then again i havent lived in Alaska for 24 years.. i have in my area.

My character has spend a considerable amount of time on the crossing area.. you would think he could find a way to get to rock trolls or reavers without neading the main road.

It was a suggestion i put forth and i would have hoped that a GM with as much authority and garnered respect as Maelona could answer without having to resort to cynicism and sarcasm with the vague implication that i am somehow stupid, or less intelligent than her.

Didnt i just get a TAC warning for sarcasm?

Re: War is GREAT 05/09/2003 12:36 PM CDT
<< Didnt i just get a TAC warning for sarcasm? >>

Since you brought it up -- no, you got a TAC warning, yesterday, for flaming a GM in another topic. Please don't try to spin it any other way. :)

As to your suggestion, it's not that the suggestion itself lacks validity, but that it too closely mimics an existing Guild special ability for it to have validity as a game-wide ability. There's really no reason to take back-country trailcutting and give it to anyone other than the wilderness survivalists of our game, and they already have it.

Re: War is GREAT 05/09/2003 03:55 PM CDT
>>the main point was.. i didnt think Elanthia was dense, unnavigatable rainforest filled with thorns and thickets and gigantic canyons at every 50 paces.<<

Of course not. That's just where you put the barricades.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: War is GREAT 05/09/2003 05:31 PM CDT
<<backcountry trailcutting>>

yes, in those environments...they do make sense for Rangers.

But what about backalley <CITY>? no such places exist in Muspar'I, Aesry, Riverhaven, Theren, Merkesh, Harajaal....

which shall be,
which shall be done;
Re: War is GREAT 05/09/2003 06:11 PM CDT
<< But what about backalley <CITY>? no such places exist in Muspar'I, Aesry, Riverhaven, Theren, Merkesh, Harajaal.... >>

Shhhhhh, Gonif. Put the cat back in the bag already. If anyone sees a cat, please grab him and shove him in the nearest bag. There are to be no cats roaming around here willy-nilly, scratching the furniture and hacking up hairballs, thank you very much.

Re: War is GREAT 05/09/2003 06:22 PM CDT
Hey, Schrodinger, what happened to your cat? It looks half dead.

-Mozzik

PS It isn't my joke! But the only way to live through a joke that bad is to share it!
Re: War is GREAT 05/09/2003 06:26 PM CDT

<<If anyone sees a cat, please grab him and shove him in the nearest bag. There are to be no cats roaming around here willy-nilly, scratching the furniture and hacking up hairballs, thank you very much.>>

hey, Furball! here, kitty,kitty.....!

<hides>

-S-

which shall be,
which shall be done;
Re: War is GREAT 05/09/2003 09:04 PM CDT
>><< Your cynicism is appaling Maelona, borderline insulting. >>

>>Oh, I bet you say that to all the girls. <flutters eyelashes><<

At the risk of sounding even more like a suckup than I already am, quite frankly, Maelona, I find your cynicism, among other things, appealing.

>>PS It isn't my joke! But the only way to live through a joke that bad is to share it!<<

I liked it.

Tam
-You've gained a new rank in your ability to steal.
-There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Re: War is GREAT 05/10/2003 12:33 AM CDT
>>At the risk of sounding even more like a suckup than I already am, quite frankly, Maelona, I find your cynicism, among other things, appealing.

So THAT'S why yer going to Simucon.
Re: War is GREAT 05/15/2003 08:17 PM CDT
<< the main point was.. i didnt think Elanthia was dense, unnavigatable rainforest filled with thorns and thickets and gigantic canyons at every 50 paces.

You're not thinking the right scope... if we assume that Elanthia is as large as Canada... and about as populated... well Canadian wilderness is just that whacky... maybe not canyons every 50 paces, but unless its a clearly marked path the potential to get completely lost is extremely high. I mean, its surprising the amount of people that think that walking through the wilderness and not getting lost is the equivelant of Hiking. They really do lack the scope of just how wild the wilderness really is. I always hear people say that all you have to do is just look at the sun and you'd know which way was north,south, east, and west. That's really not true at all (well for dense forested areas) your in shadow even when the sun up, its near on impossible to figure out which direction the sun is rising and falling... the tree canopy is just too thick. I've been lost in the wilderness... its not a fun experience... Honestly, before that I thought as you did. Just find the sun... heh ya right, i wish it had been that easy. Can't see, can't know... a true feeling of helplessness comes over you and you begin to panic... sooo easy to be lost for days and days and weeks and weeks out there, frightfully easy really.

It really was just blind stupid luck that I managed to find my way. It was definately the scariest day of my life... heh, felt like crying. I was 50 feet from the lake I was trying to find for about an hour and didn't even realize it.

<< I live in Canada and alot of it is bush country and this is not that hard of a concept if me, a 30 year old, slighty out of shape man, can grab a buddy, a 24 of beer, a cooler and all the fishing and camping supplies we will need for a 3 day bush tour to try and find a sweet trout stream or a place where that lunker muskie might be hiding. Ive done it 100s of times in my youth and during the recent past.

Well... :) I gotta say... carrying a cooler and 24 cans of beer means that your not really travelling that far and not really going THAT far into the wilderness.

Then there's the fun of seeing a Black Bear saunter into view... You stare at it in horror... it stares back. <g> Thankfully bears is scared of humans. =D

Tusca - The Lost Ranger

"Nah nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah, hey Jude"
Re: War is GREAT 05/18/2003 12:02 AM CDT
<I live in Canada and alot of it is bush country and this is not that hard of a concept if me, a 30 year old, slighty out of shape man, can grab a buddy, a 24 of beer, a cooler and all the fishing and camping supplies we will need for a 3 day bush tour to try and find a sweet trout stream or a place where that lunker muskie might be hiding. Ive done it 100s of times in my youth and during the recent past.>

How about in a world where there are no gas powered vehicles and your average walking speed is 2 miles per hour? Now on the upside, you wont get shot for looking like a deer by the other drunk guy and his friend with the case of beer...

"Everything I know I learned by killing smart people and eating their brains"
Re: War is GREAT 05/18/2003 01:45 PM CDT
>>How about in a world where there are no gas powered vehicles and your average walking speed is 2 miles per hour? Now on the upside, you wont get shot for looking like a deer by the other drunk guy and his friend with the case of beer... <<

Not shot with a rifle, no...

____"It doesn't matter where we come from, what we've done or suffered, or even if we make a difference. We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be."