Historian Wicked Gossiper Musician
Ancient Wretched TreasureHunter Kaith Kirm Champion
Wise Howler Tanner (God)Blessed

(God)Chosen

floating mass Ghaliel
Re: Titles 02/24/2003 03:01 PM CST
>Angry Midget

lol

I'd definetly use that one if I had a short character.

~Solareth

"Howdy, Squishy! We are here to vomit language with the young man that lives in this shelter unit!"
Re: Titles 02/24/2003 05:43 PM CST
I promise I'll be a good boy if you release a Dark Knight title.... Combo of stealth skills and armor skills maybe? Pleeeeeese?

-Ipkin
Titles for the not so fotunate. 02/28/2003 03:11 PM CST
There's all this talk about titles about being alive. What about titles for people that just die all the time. Like:

Dearly Departed
Decomposed
Cadaver
Macabre
Gangrene
Festering
Dirt Eater

-Deimiro
Re: Titles for the not so fotunate. 02/28/2003 06:58 PM CST
Dust Biter

floating mass Ghaliel
Re: Titles for the not so fotunate. 03/01/2003 08:22 PM CST
Hmm Road Kill will do nicely for them too. As well as, Bag of Bones, Silhouette, Stiff, Carcass, Mort, Carrion.

Regards,

Sortny
Re: Titles for the not so fotunate. 03/01/2003 11:45 PM CST
Along the lines of "Road Kill" How about nudging GM godrich to set-up a per player tracked counter for each time you get run over by a caravan, and use a certain amount (in x time?) to allow you 'Road Kill' or maybe if you are killed from it you get the title until next time you die???

~Callek, Treasurer of the Order of the Apostles

Care to learn more about the Apostles, interested in joining, or simply want to find a way to contact me?
Visit: http://drapostles.hypermart.net/index.html
Re: Titles for the not so fotunate. 03/05/2003 11:48 AM CST
Did you ever wonder what would happen if someone in paladin guild by name of Turner advanced to the title of Page? Page Turned

What about the a ranger named Hereicome? Lookout Hereicome....

Or an empath named Alattention? Medic Alattention....

Blame all this on Rakisla ::nod nod:: hehe
Re: Titles for the not so fotunate. 03/05/2003 01:28 PM CST
At one time long gone
A Paladin named Wranrap
Reached Sir, proud he was.
Guilds, Titles, Evil, and Death, oh my! (Long) 03/08/2003 12:07 AM CST
Alright ? I?ve just wandered across this board, so this is a general response with a lot of specifics involved. So, without further ado, here goes.

Here?s my thought. Looking at the spell list on the site (assuming these are going to be guild spells), it implies more of a general field of a rogue Sorcerer, with perhaps different foci. Here?s basically what I can piece together, from, of course, the original link Rahl quoted:

http://www.play.net/dr/info/spells/spelllist.asp?guild=8&name=Arcane#Domination%20Sorcery

Components:

??Evocation Sorcery, which is a combination of Lunar and Elemental magics, so be warned that it's possible to hurt yourself when casting.? ? Energy Manacles

??unstable sorcery?? -- Limb Disruption

?Bloodstorm combines the blazing ferocity of Elemental mana with Life magic in a nearly uncontrollable frenzy of acidic destruction.?

So, what can be inferred from this?

1) They have access to at least Life, Elemental, and Lunar Magics
2) They can use all three in combination, which has disastrous effects by creating an unstable spell that even the most focused can use.

This focus on combination magic lead me to believe that they are not two separate guilds that are being proposed, but rather one. Which brings me to my next point. The legality of such a guild.

Legality:

?All information on the Dance of the Dead spell has been censored by order of the Zoluren and Illithi governments.?

?All information the Blood Drain spell has been censored by order of the Zoluren, Illithi, and Therengian governments.?

?All information on the Dark Heart of Incineration spell has been purged by order of the Guild of Warrior Mages.?

?All information on the Miasmic Touch spell has been censored by order of the Guild of Moon Mages.?

Once again, inferences:
1) The legality of each spell is different, but generally implying that a need for secrecy is required.
2) The magic-casting guilds don?t like people messing with their magic type. Period. They want exclusive rights.
3) It?s not expressly banned in the Islands? thinkety-think-plot?

Conclusions about a Guild:

If these spells are indeed belonging to a new guild, I think that this guild would actually border more on the hedge wizard route than a guilded route. That is, you work, train, and live on your own, choosing your abilities outside of the guild. Or, it could be some sort of cabal of rogue sorcerers. But again, I don?t think it will be as structured per se as the ?established? magic-using guilds. It will certainly operate in the shadows, and be very dangerous to be a member of this. I?m actually reminded of Grell, who seemed to have Lunar magic even though he was never part of the Moon Mage guild. Could this lead rise to more like him?

In relation to playing Evil:

This ties into the whole ?evil? aspect. Naturally, the established guilds, for the most part, consider themselves ?good.? So, of course, they would consider such a person to be ?evil.? That is, not like them. They?re going to hunt the guild members down, given a chance.

Now, I?ve noticed something, with all the discussions that have gone on about evil, auto-cell, and the such ? people in this game tend to relate evil to ruthless murder, and the two seem to go hand in hand. Well, I don?t buy into that. Evil is merely playing adverse to those with noble interests, no matter how you do it, and doesn?t ever require you to enter combat, if done right. This guild has that potential ? skulking around, practicing magic in the dark so as not to arouse suspicion? even passing themselves off as members of another guild. Or, going completely adverse to the establishment, effectively ?sticking it to the man? and practicing in the open, as Grell did.

In relation to rp/ability/skill-based titles:

This makes sense, when looking at it as a self-progressing guild where one generally learns on their own and ends up defining themselves ? just what kind of underground sorcerer you are. Now, you can diverge from the path completely, and show it ? with the emphasis on the individual that such a guild would present, individual definition would be increasingly important. Sorcerer Jim might not want to be known by the same title that the neighborhood Necromancer uses.

In relation to the current plotline:

Well, let?s see here ? war parties of undead have now attacked the crossing. The Chalice nears the void. The Clerics have been granted Resurrection once more, which is borderline Necromancy in and of itself. Necromancy seems to be lingering in the background, what with spells being previewed and all. Solomon has mentioned the playing of evil, as well as a state between life and death. This provides the opportunity to do both ? playing against the collective effort of the established players by violating their laws and concepts, and creating a possible state between life and death, where the spirit either can be detached from the body (with all the shades we?ve got going around?) or the body can be preserved without the spirit (through a re-animated corpse). It fits in ? it really does. And, with an established game mechanic such as a guild, with special abilities, there?s more of a chance of lasting impact than of a loose character organization such as the Elven army Velmix has been trying to gather for an unknown master.

Take in mind that this is assuming the guild suggestion and the Arcane spells have anything to do with each other.

And as for the suggestion of Auto-Cell elimination just so people can be evil -- mass murder isn't really evil. It's just... well, nuts. Sociopathic tendancies does not imply evil, and there are other ways to work against people than taking a sword to their being.
Re: Guilds, Titles, Evil, and Death, oh my! (Long) 03/08/2003 04:36 AM CST
Notepad is better than Wordshudders

david
Re: Guilds, Titles, Evil, and Death, oh my! (Long) 03/08/2003 10:31 AM CST
Evil titles

1. Mother in law

2. First wife

3. lawyer

4. Taxman

5. Inspector

6. GM
Re: Guilds, Titles, Evil, and Death, oh my! (Long) 03/08/2003 10:51 AM CST
>>3. lawyer

4. Taxman

5. Inspector

6. GM

::Ryeka runs shrieking in terror from all of the above!::

Time to brace for more nightmares- those ARE truly evil!
Re: Guilds, Titles, Evil, and Death, oh my! (Long) 03/08/2003 11:37 AM CST
Dear Herald42,

It has come to my attention that you have most likely copied and pasted from word. This causes some things like apostrophes to be replaced by question marks or whatever a browser deems appropriate to put in place of a character that has been 'reserved for future use'. Notepad is a better choice or you could possibly download what is called a 'demoroniser' to fix your text documents before you post it.

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Guilds, Titles, Evil, and Death, oh my! (Long) 03/08/2003 12:20 PM CST
Thanks for the information about Word and not being compatible with Internet Explorer 6.0. Further proof that Bill Gates is evil -- and he hasn't even killed people (that we know of)!

Anyway, one thing I thought up this morning, after posting, was this --

The healing spell derived from Necromancy requires EWH. If there is, in fact, a guild created to use these spells, does this mean that they can heal themselves? If so, does that mean that they're prepared for Empaths not being willing to heal them, and players coming after them? It looks that way in my book.

And, if you'd like, I can re-post it after converting it to Notepad. That might clear it up a bit. ::Grins and wanders off to plot some way of getting Bill Gates auto-celled.::
Re: Guilds, Titles, Evil, and Death, oh my! (Long) 03/08/2003 12:25 PM CST
>>The healing spell derived from Necromancy requires EWH. If there is, in fact, a guild created to use these spells, does this mean that they can heal themselves? If so, does that mean that they're prepared for Empaths not being willing to heal them, and players coming after them? It looks that way in my book.

Could be a "monster" guild...like that bloodlust thing. Rather than just take the form of some random goblin, you actually advance, and with advance gain spell. Problem would be that monsters don't have empaths to heal them...so rather than rely on other pcs to heal them, some of them will have a way to be a bit more self sustaining...

Dark Angel Crusinix

You see a Phat Colt .45 staff. It's covered in bling bling and is doped out fa real, G. You're like..."damn".

Read: Crusi ownz ya dawg.
Re: Guilds, Titles, Evil, and Death, oh my! (Long) 03/08/2003 12:45 PM CST
But this brings up my next ponderment -- will this bring the onset of competitions for the Empaths? I mean, Empaths are the sole ones who could heal themselves without herbs. Now that the Necromancers (again, all speculation) get healing, does this mean that they might have some sort of transference?

It makes sense. In the spell that creates poison, it states the necessity of getting a "clean" corpse. Given that almost all the other spells tend to make the "victim" explode into tiny, bloody bits, the Necromancer should be able to heal them in order to get a good corpse.

Competition with the Empaths, indeed, as now Empaths can do other things aside from heal (Shift, and train to get Shift) to get large amounts of money. That would be... interesting.

Fight the establishment! Or, barring that, give me a cookie. I'm hungry.
Re: Guilds, Titles, Evil, and Death, oh my! (Long) 03/09/2003 10:43 PM CST
Empaths should be allowed to go the necromantic route. So :P Heh.

In fact, what you mentioned with reviving the corpse without the spirit, sounded so empathy to me that I cackled. It's raise without the cleric! Force the spirit to depart, take the corpse as your own, and then when the person is reborn, they'd get to kill themselves! Oh, wait, that's kinda.. implausible... it'd be an attack on the character, and if there's no body, how can they ever have life restored to themselves? I guess any corpses would have to be critters...

But, almost certainly, (and hopfully!) there will be no competition for empaths... Healinc players is and always will be the best way to gain transference ranks--and no other guild can have transference. If there's another guild, or rougue guild or whatnot, they'd need help from empaths, rather than having transference themselves. Also, since EWH is a pre-req, that just means that empaths are going to be necromancers. Empaths will start being able to create undead armies! Er, wait, that would probably make all the Prydaens and Rakash agitated...hnnn, I wanna be a necromancer anyway.

-Vinsa, who's babbling.
Re: Guilds, Titles, Evil, and Death, oh my! (Long) 03/11/2003 11:53 AM CST
>Healinc players is and always will be the best way to gain transference ranks

I'm not an Empath and I know the best way to get transference is from bloodworms and leeches.

Ecoles
"Us loners gotta stay together"