Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/21/2003 04:42 PM CST
All right. Having started late on this folder, I haven't bothered reading much outside the actual posts by Solomon and Maelona, so forgive me if anything I'm about to say has been brought up.
I'd really like to get off Guilds, Titles, Alignments for a moment. I brought this up years and years ago, though I never paid much attention to the boards back then, and all I really ever saw come from ti was racial verbs and looks. Yes, I wonder about racial diversity.
The reason I bring this up is, I've been playing DR since it started, and I loved it a lot more when the community was close knit, I'll admit. Though I will also admit that the utter personality diverseness and the improvements that Solomon and the rest have wrought up DR have made me completely captivated all over again. (Starts to ramble)
My main thought is this. Apparently the GMs have their hands full with current Guilds and their respective problems as well as Magic and all it entails. So why start focusing on bringing in new guilds with new problems? Do I need to mention that it took a fresh team and seven years just to get this far with the current 10? (Not that I would drool all over various branches of each guild being implemented with specific benefits for each branch. But I could ramble on that for days, seeing as I think that's more feasible than opening 1 new guild let alone 3 that I heard mentioned) (and I go rambling again)
Anyway. RACES! RACES! RACES! Why not more diversity in races? More benefits for actually being a certain race? What about Stat related titles or skills? I mean the actual variations in Elves alone. Why not work on Race-based systems (Outside of Yer Not an S'Kra Ya Can't Come Into This Tent) I don't know if everyone thinks of dwarves the same way, but I bet Dwarven players would love to have Clans and Mountain-based strongholds. (I know I know Stoneclan, who spends time there outside of Traders?) Why couldn't Elves get benefits to perception? Gor'Togs to combat of some sort. Gnomes to Mechanical Lore. Elotheans to Magic. I mean some kind of tangible benefit. Why not have Sub-Races of each race.. (Mountain Elves, Wind Elf, etc.) That has its own benefits (Looks/Hairstyle/Skin color, etc.) Since we're all wondering.. If Field Vipers and Harawep's Spiders are poisonous.. Why the heck can't S'kra Mur be? (Speaking of S'kra Mur I would have loved to had a visible Hood like the Crests they have now). The possibilities are endless, I think. Especially considering bringing in Alignments or what have you. (Mountain Elves again)

I realize a lot of this might have been brought up, discussed, declined, what have you. But I've always 'Wondered' about more racial diversity or at least more RP tools for such.

If you've made it this far down, thanks for listening to me rant.
Malign, finally settled on a Guild for the first time in seven years (Will drive to St. Louis and hurt Solomon if Necromancer's get a Guild)(At least if he has to reroll to get in)
Re: Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/21/2003 06:24 PM CST
I too, would like to see races become more diverse. It'd be great if people were close with members of their race rather then their guild. In every Fanstasy book I've ever read, the people populating the lands were sepparated by race and clans, not profession.
Re: Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/22/2003 12:20 PM CST
>>Malign, finally settled on a Guild for the first time in seven years (Will drive to St. Louis and hurt Solomon if Necromancer's get a Guild)(At least if he has to reroll to get in)<<

Good point... I think if Nemocrancer's and/or Sorcerers become official guilds, Moon Mages and War Mages should (respectively) be able to 'convert' without having to reroll. Makes the most sense too, since they are extensions of those respective guilds.

Also, while I'm rambling on the topic, I'd like to touch on something else. In my opinion, being a member of an 'evil' guild should mean everyone has blanket consent to attack you. After all, these practices are illegal and anyone who seeks the dark powers should be able to deal with the risks.

Another thought just struck me as I'm writing this, maybe becoming a nemocrancer should be a priveledge of those Moon Mages who attain a certain circle... ie, you have to be at least 40th circle Moon Mage before you can become a nemocrancer. Same would go for Sorcerers.

-Moon Mage (and future Nemocrancer?) Khalikryst
Re: Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/22/2003 12:29 PM CST
I'd like empaths to be available to convert to necromancers. A few of us go crazy, start using twisted forms of life magic... boom, necromancy. Transference becomes how well we can create unliving creatures :)

Shaunn
Re: Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/22/2003 02:41 PM CST
Another thought.. I would really like to see a guild that is able to summon creatures to fight. So many summonable creatures exist, why can't you sick any of them on a goblin or another player? Sort of like SLS, but with creatures...
Re: Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/22/2003 03:21 PM CST
<<Another thought.. I would really like to see a guild that is able to summon creatures to fight.

Hardly warrants a new guild, though. Warrior mages have been lobbying for fighting fams and elementals for years.
Re: Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/22/2003 04:29 PM CST
<<I'd like empaths to be available to convert to necromancers. A few of us go crazy, start using twisted forms of life magic... boom, necromancy. Transference becomes how well we can create unliving creatures :)

Shaunn>>

::Cheers Shaunn::

I second that motion!

~um, guess who...
Re: Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/22/2003 05:22 PM CST

Another thing I was thinking, as long as I've got people onto the race issue. Since so many people seem to think Alignment is so 'iffy'. Why not fractions? Why not be able to kill Halflings in Arthedale to increase your Evil fraction.. or Dragon Priests in Shard to increase your fraction with Shard and thereby getting benefits from Guards/Shops/Etc;. Not going to delve too much into it because I'd much rather see actual Racial Diversity and benefits and socializing. I really think it'd give the game more depth and actually give meaning to being a Elf or a Gor'Tog outside of few and far between Moots and Gatherings.

Malign, fishing in Taisidon because diving.. errr dieing.. for Pearls is argivating.
Re: Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/22/2003 05:57 PM CST
>Why not fractions? Why not be able to kill Halflings in Arthedale to increase your Evil fraction..

You mean "faction", right? As in, your social standing with a certain group or community. It's a worthy suggestion, either way. I like it.
Re: Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/22/2003 05:59 PM CST
>>Nemocrancer's and/or Sorcerers become official guilds, Moon Mages and War Mages should (respectively) be able to 'convert' without having to reroll.

Even if you could switch guilds, you'd lose all your previously learned skills; such as switching guilds while you are still first circle. I'm not so sure if any new guilds formed, their guild leaders would want you to have remnants of your previous guilds' skills and experiences.

It'd be almost the same as rerolling.

>>they are extensions of those respective guilds

We don't know that yet. The whole background could be a whole rebel group of mages that came up with their own kind of magic. Or a group of Traders decided to sponsor some dark lord to give them the power to manipulate mana. Or if gnomes that were being eaten by S'kra Murs decided to rebel, and unleashed some hidden powers that made all the digested gnomes come alive and hack their way out of the S'kra's stomachs.

Just because they can tap into certain mana streams does not mean they're extensions of any existing guilds. That's like saying Clerics and Paladins are extensions of each other.

>>an 'evil' guild should mean everyone has blanket consent to attack you

You mean like the former Thief guild and all their members?

>>you have to be at least 40th circle Moon Mage before you can become a necromancer.

That sounds like a sect categorization.

If a new guild were to surface, I personally wouldn't have any fun if I started out 50th circle in that guild. You'd miss all the lower level challenges and struggles that come with being in a certain guild. To me, it'd be similar to purchasing a character.

And if everyone is treated the same way, then it's fair.

-Veii

Veii's Veranda : http://drveii.mysitespace.com
- The Consortium -
- The Index of Trader Services -
- Pendus-forged Weapons -
Re: Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/22/2003 06:11 PM CST
<<Even if you could switch guilds, you'd lose all your previously learned skills

Not necessarily. One could create a rank conversion formula, or the new guilds could simply have the same skillset allocation as the guilds who's members would have the option of switching to the guild.

However, I'm still uncertain about most potential new spellcasting guild ideas as I'm not certain there is enough magical 'turf' left over from the existing guilds spheres of influence to justify a new guild without closing doors of potential development for existing guilds.

For example, I have no problems with the notion that evil clerics could control or create undead (being used to the idea from other gaming systems), and among existing guilds such would seem to be the cleric guild's 'turf' even if it isn't a game reality ... a necromancer guild would claim that turf for its own though, pretty much squishing any chance the clerics may have one day had to obtain similar capabilities. Does the role of 'necromancer' justify the creation of a whole new guild, or would it be more appropriate as some sort of career path choice for an existing guild?
Re: Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/22/2003 10:20 PM CST
Also.. how about learning other languages with high enough Scholarship or something similar?

Malign, still catching frogfish.
Re: Since we're all 'Wondering' (Long winded, beware) 02/22/2003 10:35 PM CST
>>Not necessarily. One could create a rank conversion formula, or the new guilds could simply have the same skillset allocation as the guilds who's members would have the option of switching to the guild.

When the bards guild was created, people wern't allowed to "convert" to the new guild.

I recall a long tima go, that the GM's were working on kinda "sects" that could be joined (Non-moon mage). It'd cost you TDPs and certain requirments to join them. There was one that was hinted at as being "invitation only"...So, perhaps the release of these new clans/groups/sects...whatever you wanna call them.

Thinking, I think the Thieves guild would be in a whole big uproar even more so than when Venom came out as a spell scroll, if it can become a perminently learned spell.

Dark Angel Crusinix

"Lonely are the wise, Alone are the Brave, Quiet are the Strong, Disconnected are the philisophical and cold are the logical"