War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 05:07 AM CST
Pyromancer, Geomancer, Hydromancer, Aeromancer, and Artificer had better make the cut!

::shakes his fist good-naturedly::

- Arcanist Telein
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 05:17 AM CST
I was going to recommend Enchanter...but Moon Mages already have it. ::ponders::

So...here's some others:

Spellbinder

Runecrafter

I'll have to think of more later, when I have more brain power available. ::grins::

-Chris

Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is...
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 11:47 AM CST
<< I was going to recommend Enchanter...but Moon Mages already have it. >>

Just to be clear, and just because it's best to make sure everyone understands this as early as possible, some existing Guild titles WILL be removed from Guild rosters and turned into skill-based titles. Deciding which ones make sense to remove from Guild-only access and convert to the skill-based table will be pretty much my job, and I'll obviously be as careful as I can to leave a great range of Guild-only titles in place.

I actually think that the idea of earning a title through skill, and not just through advancement in a Guild, gives any title that bit more prestige. Of course, it's important to balance that with the fact that many people like their titles simply because they display which Guild a person belongs to and how far he has advanced in his profession, and we'll make sure to leave lots of those kinds of titles in place for Guildspeople to choose from.

I also imagine we'll do whatever we can to ensure that someone who is entitled to the Underwater Basketweaver title as a result of his Guild choice is also entitled to it under the skill-based system, but I do expect there will be discrepancies. However, I can't think that many people will not agree that the addition of a skill-based title system will be an immensely fun and satisfying new angle to our game, and on that basis I imagine even those who may lose access to a certain title until they've "re-earned" it will be OK with that. :)

SGD Mean Maelona Morlamgar
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 11:57 AM CST
As a suggestion, I wonder if it would be possible to add all these new titles to in-game help? Something along the line of typing "Title List Zymurgist", and getting back "The Zymurgist title is awarded to those who display a superior knowledge of the art of beer brewing". Granted I can currently find the information by using a Website (including Simu's own), but I find in-game help to be far less disruptive to my game immersion experience. With hundreds or thousands of potential titles, I think it's going to be a lot for my feeble player brain to remember, though my character's brain is more suited to remembering every facet of Elanthian society.

Heironymous

"I can bring whole cities to ruin,
And still have time to get a soft shoe in"
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 12:03 PM CST
<< As a suggestion, I wonder if it would be possible to add all these new titles to in-game help? >>

Not all of them, no. :) We will publish the requirements for some of the skill-based titles, and obviously the titles that remain Guild-only will be pretty clear to everyone. Certainly, however, many of the new skill-based titles will not have their requirements published, simply because a great deal of people enjoy discovering that kind of information for themselves.

We'll look to finding the right balance between giving some information, and withholding some of it, Heir. :)

SGD Mean Maelona Morlamgar
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 12:09 PM CST
>Just to be clear, and just because it's best to make sure everyone understands this as early as possible, some existing Guild titles WILL be removed from Guild rosters and turned into skill-based titles.

I got the impression from Solomon's post that this was not the case. Titles would stay guild only, but the requirements for non-guild members would be greater than for those of guild members. His example of Locksmith which is a 70th circle Thief title.. it would be available to Thieves at 70th and then non-Thieves would need lockpicking for ~90th in the Thieves guild in order to get the title.

At least, that's the impression that I got. What you're saying is there will be some titles completely removed from guild rotation and only obtainable through skill/stat/merit based tests?

- Master Cleric of Harawep
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 12:13 PM CST
> I got the impression from Solomon's post that this was not the case. Titles would stay guild only, but the requirements for non-guild members would be greater than for those of guild members. His example of Locksmith which is a 70th circle Thief title.. it would be available to Thieves at 70th and then non-Thieves would need lockpicking for ~90th in the Thieves guild in order to get the title.

Solomon's Locksmith example was making it no longer circle based, and instead having it require 240 lockpicking. So any 70th circle thief would be able to get it, and since thieves tend to have higher lockpicking for their circle than non-thieves, they would tend to get it sooner.

Seldaren
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 12:24 PM CST
>Solomon's Locksmith example was making it no longer circle based, and instead having it require 240 lockpicking. So any 70th circle thief would be able to get it, and since thieves tend to have higher lockpicking for their circle than non-thieves, they would tend to get it sooner.

Oh.

Makes more sense that way...

I would guess then that any title we currently have we probably won't wind up losing, just expect other people from other guilds to have it available as well.

- Master Cleric of Harawep
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 12:29 PM CST
Oh no Maelona said all guild titles are going away and now barbarians can have the title of warrior mage but i'm a warrior mage and i'm quitting with 754 of my closest friends i hate titles!!!!1.11 11. 1 11 &

Happy Friday.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 12:31 PM CST
>>I got the impression from Solomon's post that this was not the case. Titles would stay guild only, but the requirements for non-guild members would be greater than for those of guild members. His example of Locksmith which is a 70th circle Thief title.. it would be available to Thieves at 70th and then non-Thieves would need lockpicking for ~90th in the Thieves guild in order to get the title.

::double take:: Wouldn't that make certain titles not guild only, then? I believe that MANY current guild-only titles will remain that way, but certain titles will become free to be chosen by anybody (Locksmith, gladiator, enchanter, probably mage, etc.) as long as they meet the requirements for that title. For the example of locksmith, the requirements for it will probably stay SIMILAR to what they are for the Thieves guild right now, so anyone who has the title is not very likely to "lose" it.

At least, that's what I read.

~Katrenos

>>Happy Friday.

Yeees... Happy Friday...

When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles; Scream and shout

Unofficial Dragonrealms Player Motto
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 02:31 PM CST
<<What you're saying is there will be some titles completely removed from guild rotation and only obtainable through skill/stat/merit based tests?>>

Yes...

Some guilds will be "losing" the exclusivity of some of their titles and those titles will be available to anyone that meets the requirements for them, regardless of their guild.

Sorry if I was unclear the first time.

Solomon

Vote for DragonRealms as the #1 MUD every day!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 02:33 PM CST
<<I would guess then that any title we currently have we probably won't wind up losing, just expect other people from other guilds to have it available as well.>>

Yes, that would be the ideal result of the process.

Of course, some things will get mucked up, I'm sure and someone will end up being a few ranks short of a title they used to have "for free" and will demand grandfathered ranks....

But I digress...

Solomon

Vote for DragonRealms as the #1 MUD every day!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 02:34 PM CST
>>But I digress...

I don't!

I want my ninja metal mage title.
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 02:42 PM CST
>Of course, some things will get mucked up, I'm sure and someone will end up being a few ranks short of a title they used to have "for free" and will demand grandfathered ranks....

I laughed almost as hard at that as I did Frogspawns "We should just add Gonif to the end of everyone's name" post. ::snickers::

~Viptorian
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 07:47 PM CST
Some titles I'd like to see more general:

Enchanter/Enchantress

Scholar

Sigilist

Incanter

Worshipper

Faithful

Stalker

Prowler

Skirmisher

Veteran

That's off the top of my head. No Trader titles since I don't know what half of them mean. ::blushes:: No Bard titles because I don't have the 'new' list.

I'm not trying to 'lessen' any guild...just increase the general pool. Besides...guilds would be better suited by more 'specific' titles. ::grins::

-Chris

Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is...
Re: War Mage titles to be... 02/21/2003 08:58 PM CST
Here's a few WM title suggestions I posted in the Titles folder last month. I found them on some GSIII festival site and thought some could easily apply to DragonRealms. We're always sharing stuff with them, so why not these?

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=4&topic=27&message=78

~ Aavarine