Prev_page Previous 1
Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 08:50 PM CST
Did you ever wonder why there aren't titles you can earn, other than by just gaining another circle?

Since I mentioned this in much more detail at Vegas and since it's got some implications that will need to be addressed beforehand, I'll go into more detail on this one (in between sniffling, coughing, and aching)...

Ages ago, someone started a rumour that said something to the effect of "If you gain 50 ranks in all of the available weapon classes, you can be the cool "Weapon Master" title!". Everyone took the bait and for weeks and weeks, you ran into all these older players backtraining in staff sling and light blunt. Well, as most rumours are, this one was quite false, but there's no reason why it HAS to be anymore.

In the not so near future (maybe for HSN...?), DR will welcome the advent of a new Skill Based Title System. There will still be plenty of Guild Specific titles available, but there will also be a plethora of new titles that you will be able to EARN (along with a lot of OLD titles that used to belong to guilds that will become community property).

What will it take to earn some of these titles?

Well...any of these conditions and more:

Total ranks in a specific skill (i.e. Archer, Bowman, Swordsman, Fencer, Escapist, Teacher, Musician)
Total ranks in two or three (and in some cases, more than three) skills (i.e. Weapon Master, Blade Master, Lore Master, Survivalist, Scholar)
A combination of ranks and stats...(no comments on this one yet...)
Reaching a certain level of accomplishment in a "Not-directly-tied-to-EXP System" (i.e. Pit Fighter, Gladiator, etc. gained for reaching certain numbers of victories in a sponsored Arena)
Reaching certain degrees of accomplishment in "interaction" with creatures (no comments on this one yet, either...I'll mention it later though)
A particular amount of money in the bank ;)
Reaching particular levels of devotion or service to a deity (i.e. only getting favors from a specific deity for a significant period of time)
Successfully completing (winning) a quest
etc...etc...etc...

In most cases, once you have earned a title, you can't lose it, but I'm sure there will be some that we can think of that will require some degree of activity to maintain. Those will be the more interesting ones and the ones that people will be able to brag about.

And by the way...when I say 'plethora' of titles, I'm talking on the verge of 1000 or more...as many as we can come up with that make sense.

Now...some guilds will be concerned that they're "losing" a title...you're not really losing one since in all likelihood you'll still be able to get it. On top of that, SOME current "Guild Specific" titles will have a "bias" toward the guild they they now belong to. For example, the Locksmith title might be open to everyone, but it will require equivalent skill (or as close to it) so that anyone in the Not-Commoner Guild that has it, should still be able to get it. This just means more people will be able to get it too and it also means that just because someone's wearing a Locksmith title, it doesn't mean they're a Not-Commoner anymore. ;) And in addition, you'll be GAINING a butt-load of new titles to choose from (as long as you qualify for them). This will be another boon to those Not-Commoners, since on top of their UnSkill that doesn't allow them to take other titles from other specific guilds at a certain circle, they won't have the ability to STILL do that and take others Skill Based ones, too. (Did that sufficiently make no sense?)

Likewise, more titles can and will be added as we come up with them...

This will also be something that will be a "Play And Find Out" feature...we won't tell you how many titles there are, we won't give you a full listing of available titles, and we won't tell you what requirements you have to meet. Plenty of people will figure out lots of them on their own, but there will be a certain air of mystery associated with some of the more difficult (and therefore more desired) titles. We'll tell you about lots, but not all...

Oh...and did I mention that this will also allow Commoners (the REAL Commoners...not the Not-Commoners) to finally have access to lots of titles? There will even probably be some that require you NOT be a member of a guild...so there will be some Commoner specific ones. ;)

At some point, we'll be opening a topic specifically for you to discuss (and suggest) new titles and their requirements, but for now, you're welcome to discuss them in this area, although no one will be taking notes just yet. :)

Solomon

Vote for DragonRealms as the #1 MUD every day!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:00 PM CST
Hey, think we'll see titles some of us used to have be usable again?

Pureblade, hoping to see Commander, Treasonist, and Shadow Guard someday ;)
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:02 PM CST
will there be any concentration on awarding titles for things that arnt neccessarily number-based? RP, reputation, background, etc? BTW, you've got my eyes and ears on this one Sol.

Thats my 82 Cents and i dont care if you dont want a damn Nickel

~Bombmaster Blasword
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:05 PM CST
<<RP, reputation, background, etc? BTW, you've got my eyes and ears on this one Sol.>>

Yup...I don't see why not...especially when you consider the implications of one of my previous "Did You Ever Wonder" messages...

;)

Solomon

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:05 PM CST
<<hoping to see Commander, Treasonist, and Shadow Guard someday ;) >>

Yup...don't see why not. ;)

Solomon

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:14 PM CST
I hope there are titles for those of us who are unable to/choose not to engage in combat. Pacifist, peacekeeper, unicorn hugger.

<skips off with his lollipops under the expansive arch of a rainbow>

Shaunn
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:15 PM CST
You gonna finally allow titles beyond 15 characters? :P

And allow us to gain favors from all 39 so I can have my Harawepian title? Still no Harawep altar that gives favors.. And yes I did complain to Team-Cleric.

When we're talking 'Master of Lore'.. do we mean (picking numbers) 200 in each skill, or 1000 total? Either one? One title for each?

... What does HSN stand for? Hot Summer Nights?

- Master Cleric of Harawep
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:18 PM CST
Solomon, can I have RangerWrangler? You know I've earned it.

Miabelle

There is nothing more liberating than dancing barefoot.
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:19 PM CST
>>This just means more people will be able to get it too and it also means that just because someone's wearing a Locksmith title, it doesn't mean they're a Not-Commoner anymore.<<

Yeah, just try and convince someone that you're a Not-Commoner when you're wearing a Master Burglar or a I-can-steal-your-socks-while-you're-wearing-them or a I-broke-the-pawn-prices-in-two-major-cities title... Ooo.. Master Pawner? <hides>

Heh. Sounds good, though.

Tam
-There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:30 PM CST
Oh,

And my Harawepian title better be 'Spider-Man' or else I'll be angry.

- Spider-Man Smegul
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:32 PM CST
What about associations with certain vegetables? coughturnipscough

~player of Turnip-Hugger Gulphphunger
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:33 PM CST
Well, you've gotten my interest. Sounds like many are going to be able to actually finally get those kinds of titles they want without having to reroll and join another guild. Hold onto your helm, Deutz. ;)

I am curious about one thing, you said reaching levels of devotion or service to a speicific deity. I'm going to assume right off the bat that this particular one will have to be maintained.

My first question is, can it be multi-level? Meaning the longer that one holds that devotion or service and/or the more effort one puts into it will cause more titles to be available?

Second question, can it show which deity one has been showing this devotion/service to?

Third question, how about for those who maintain equivalent amounts of favors for each deity? There are some who worship the "All God". Will there be anything for them?

Er...one more question...can you guys automatically assign the title of "Stupid" to those without favors? j/k ;)

~player of Coine~

Got Shift?

http://www.coalition.fairmount.nu

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides, "The Bacchae", circa 407 B.C.
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:33 PM CST
I can't wait to use my mage title. :)
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:36 PM CST
<<When we're talking 'Master of Lore'.. do we mean (picking numbers) 200 in each skill>>

Yes...something like that for SOME titles...maybe not "Master of Lore"...but some would be as simple as "Reach 200 ranks in Skill X"...

<<or 1000 total?>>

Yes...some would be like this as well...and this would be the likely one that Master of Lore would fit into...perhaps... ;)

<<What does HSN stand for? Hot Summer Nights?>>

Yup! :) But of course, SimuCon will be happening just before HSN, so if you were to happen to show up, we might be doing a seminar or something on this subject...

Solomon

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:37 PM CST
<<You gonna finally allow titles beyond 15 characters? :P>>

Oh...forgot this one...

It's POSSIBLE...not sure though...

Solomon

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:38 PM CST
<<Solomon, can I have RangerWrangler? You know I've earned it.>>

I fear that in my Nyquil induced bloaty-headed state, I would say something untoward if I were to respond to this...

So...I'll just keep quiet and snicker to myself. ;)

Of course...he needs a title too...

Solomon

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:39 PM CST
Pre? Post? Some of each?

Seems like with only 3 storeable Post titles.. it's not too doable.

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:43 PM CST
<<I am curious about one thing, you said reaching levels of devotion or service to a speicific deity. I'm going to assume right off the bat that this particular one will have to be maintained.>>

That sounds like a natural for one of those titles...I'll need to jabber at Skralthaen and Zabari more about it though before we even think about how one would attain such a title...

<<My first question is, can it be multi-level? Meaning the longer that one holds that devotion or service and/or the more effort one puts into it will cause more titles to be available?>>

LOTS of "title paths" will be multi-leveled...to simplify it: 100 ranks will get you Title A....250 will get you Title B...500 gets you Title C...etc.

So yes, they will be multi-leveled.

<<Second question, can it show which deity one has been showing this devotion/service to?>>

That would be the best part, so yes. :) This is going to be one of those "suspension of disbelief" things, since you can't TELL someone's a "Servant of Drogor" just from looking at them or LOOKing in the room, but neither can you tell what someone's name is, so I am not gonna worry with all that. ;)

<<Third question, how about for those who maintain equivalent amounts of favors for each deity? There are some who worship the "All God". Will there be anything for them?>>

Another Skral-Zab thing, but I would not see why not. Someone who's particularly knowledgable about all religions and willing to work at maintaining that would deserve some sort of lofty title option(s)...I'm sure there's a word for someone who's a Religious Scholar...or maybe that would be one of the options right there. :)

<<Er...one more question...can you guys automatically assign the title of "Stupid" to those without favors? j/k ;)>>

Don't tempt me...specially not with as loopy as I'm feeling.... ::grin::

Solomon

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:46 PM CST
<<Another Skral-Zab thing, but I would not see why not. Someone who's particularly knowledgable about all religions and willing to work at maintaining that would deserve some sort of lofty title option(s)...I'm sure there's a word for someone who's a Religious Scholar...or maybe that would be one of the options right there. :)

On this line... how about alternate religions that are in game but not particularly defined like the religious beliefs of the Prydaens?? Would love to have a 'Eru devotee' title : )

- player of a few and disturbed by the voices in my head because of it :)
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:50 PM CST
>>Oh,
>>
>>And my Harawepian title better be 'Spider-Man' or else I'll be angry.
>>
>>- Spider-Man Smegul

Sheesh, it's not enough for you to kill Deagol and steal the One Ring, you want to swing from buildings too?

So needy!

~NOT Mrs. Spider-Man
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:51 PM CST
< That would be the best part, so yes. :) This is going to be one of those "suspension of disbelief" things, since you can't TELL someone's a "Servant of Drogor" just from looking at them or LOOKing in the room, but neither can you tell what someone's name is, so I am not gonna worry with all that. ;)>

will something like this apply to both clerics and paladins?

Thats my 82 Cents and i dont care if you dont want a damn Nickel

~Bombmaster Blasword
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:52 PM CST
Yay for Solomon. I am hopin for RP rewarded titles too. I know I have my own selfish lil motive myself but I always pictured myself going before Vorclaf or whoever one day and making my case for the title I want. I think this would be a good way to designate RP titles should the situation ever come up. And I am talking good IC RP titles not some of those way crazy ones they award at some Estate Holder meetings (those are still fun of course). Things like official governmental, guild, or business associations was what I had in mind. Thank ya for readin. :c)

-Ranik
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:53 PM CST
>>A particular amount of money in the bank ;)

I suggest the titles penny-pinching and money-grubber. Also tight-fisted.

~Katrenos :D

When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles; Scream and shout

Unofficial Dragonrealms Player Motto
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:54 PM CST
Perhaps I can finally become Ambassador Ekaris... or Diplomat... or Representative... or Senator ::teases Deryka::
I only say that because the bards have a very nice 10th circle title, of Mediator, but then the line of titles just die. I wanna be an ambassador!

Ekaris
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:55 PM CST
<<Pre? Post? Some of each?>>

IDEALLY it will be something that will let you choose.

Lemme 'splain a little, since I'm in the mood to jabber...

Say your name is Bob. Say you're a citizen of Zoluren (one title option). Say you have access to the Bowman title because you have X number of ranks in bow skill (another title option). Say you're a Warrior Mage and have the Elementalist that you like using (another title option).

Now...ideally, and I do mean ideally here since I don't even know if we'll be able to do this with the system upgrades that the on-site techs will be putting into DR, the options I see you being able to choose from (and what someone would see when LOOKing at you, not just when they LOOK in the room) are:

Bob
Elementalist Bob
Bowman Bob
Bob, of Zoluren
Elementalist Bob, of Zoluren
Bowman Bob, of Zoluren
Bowman Bob, Elementalist of Zoluren
Elementalist Bob, Bowman of Zoluren
Bowman Bob, Elementalist
Elementalist Bob, Bowman

So...each title option would be one of (at least) three "blocks" that you would be able to arrange and rearrange however you liked: A Guild Title block, a Skill-based Title block, and a Citizenship Title block.

So effectively, with as many options as there would be for the skill-based and Guild titles, everyone would have the ability to have a totally unique title combination...

<<Seems like with only 3 storeable Post titles.. it's not too doable.>>

That would be likely to change. Someone with enough skill(s) should have hundreds of titles to choose from...

Solomon

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:56 PM CST
<<Would love to have a 'Eru devotee' title : )>>

I would not be surprised to see that (among other things) for Eru devotees.

Solomon

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:57 PM CST
<<will something like this apply to both clerics and paladins?>>

Anyone that wanted to meet the criteria would be able to access any title that was available.

Solomon

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 09:58 PM CST
The current favor system tracks a single diety. The last diety you got a favor from. The reason I know this is because the monk in the Cleric guild greets you based on what diety you got your last (most recent) favor from. As far as I am aware, it neither tracks how many nor how often you get favors, just which diety you last got a favor from.

Personally.... I'd like to see a single title, based upon the last diety you gained a favor from as the devotion based titles. But I'm baised, I'd like to leave the devotion-based titles for the devotion based guild(s) ;).

C'mon Sol. You and I both know that getting a favor isn't showing devotion. It's showing you spent the 30 seconds it takes to not have your character deleted :P.

My suggestion would be to use prayer-beads or some other system instead. Each bead you make makes you higher in the devotedness scale. Wonder where that would put me <hums>

>~NOT Mrs. Spider-Man

Tough. You're Mrs. Spider-Man whether you want to be or not.

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 10:01 PM CST
<<C'mon Sol. You and I both know that getting a favor isn't showing devotion. It's showing you spent the 30 seconds it takes to not have your character deleted :P.>>

But I never said that this would be the way we determined who got that title. :)

That's something that Zabari and Skralthaen are going to be intimately involved in discussing/determining.

Solomon

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 10:06 PM CST
>But I never said that this would be the way we determined who got that title. :)

Good.

Any of these sorts of things going to be unique?

Say.. 'Highest PM in game gets x' 'Highest Scholarship in game gets y'. 'Most devoted to God x gets z'

That could be sorta interesting.

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 10:10 PM CST
Another thought came to mind. I know this might sound kind of plain, but might there also be predecent for being able to use your race as a title? With a combination of pre and post titles, could actually be interesting:

You see Dwarf Katrenos Tot of the Short Brigade.

(Yes, I do realize that your race is currently included in that line of description)

The added benefit of this is to enlighten your friends who don't actually know what race you are. Because they're unobservant.

~Katrenos

When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles; Scream and shout

Unofficial Dragonrealms Player Motto
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 10:14 PM CST
Excellent!

>I'm sure there's a word for someone who's a Religious Scholar...or maybe that would be one of the options right there. :)

Theologist

>Don't tempt me...specially not with as loopy as I'm feeling.... ::grin::

That would be so cool, but I know it would cause the masses to complain vehemently, which means it probably won't happen.

Just imagine anyone over...say...5th circle with no favors:

>Stupid John Doe just arrived.

I must be tired because I find it incredibly funny. :)

~player of Coine~

Got Shift?

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides, "The Bacchae", circa 407 B.C.
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 10:17 PM CST
THANK YOU!

About a year back I had a second account that I used to play Modus. I absolutely ADORED their title system. I always liked it when my male character got his bouncer title and my female character got her exotic dancer title ::snickers::

~Vip
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 10:20 PM CST
Oooh! I just realized, maybe I could get my Viceroy title! ::drools mindlessly::

~Viceroy Viptorian Arcinian of the Toggish Council
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 10:23 PM CST
> About a year back I had a second account that I used to play Modus

I was playing Modus about a year ago too, and the title system was one of my favorite aspects of the game. I'm quite thrilled to see it coming to DR...definitely a positive move in my opinion.

Dash & the gang

Curious about DragonRealms Platinum? Find out more at http://members.tripod.com/cervanntes/DragonRealms/index.htm
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 10:28 PM CST
>C'mon Sol. You and I both know that getting a favor isn't showing devotion. It's showing you spent the 30 seconds it takes to not have your character deleted :P.

Some of us spent a lot more time than that. Do you know how long it takes to fill a favor orb after 10 favors? How about after 20? 30?

My suggestion would be to use prayer-beads or some other system instead. Each bead you make makes you higher in the devotedness scale. Wonder where that would put me <hums>

I don't see favor beads as being a viable option. My paladin character has spent a lot of time gaining favors from her deity. She has spent a lot of time RPing out devotion to her deity also. She has never carved a prayer bead, nor do I see her ever doing so. As you said, you are biased about keeping the devotional titles with the devotional guild...and I'm of the firm opinion that something like this (devotion to a deity) should no more be guild-based than gaining favors.

~player of Coine~

Got Shift?

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 10:46 PM CST
>Some of us spent a lot more time than that. Do you know how long it takes to fill a favor orb after 10 favors? How about after 20? 30?

Yes. It is very easy. Combat trains so many skills at a time... I gained 15 favors in a 2 hour period. Favors are -far- too easy to gain, I just don't see it being an adequite measure of how devoted you are.

>I don't see favor beads as being a viable option. My paladin character has spent a lot of time gaining favors from her deity. She has spent a lot of time RPing out devotion to her deity also. She has never carved a prayer bead, nor do I see her ever doing so.

Isn't that just bias in the other direction? 'I haven't done it, therefore it shouldn't count'. The prayer bead system is open to everyone, and something easily trackable. Seems like a logical choice in my opinion.

Dead issue for me though since this isn't out, and Sol pretty much said it won't be based solely upon favors. We'll see how it all works out, I'm sure there will be complaints no matter how it's done <shrugs> I'll keep my mouth shut, as long as words such as 'Minion', 'Fanatic' and other such incredibly high circle Cleric titles don't show up until you've got 500+ favors <snickers>

Still waiting on my Spider-Man title..

Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 11:15 PM CST
>>Reaching particular levels of devotion or service to a deity (i.e. only getting favors from a specific deity for a significant period of time)<<

Thank you. I knew one of these years being incredibly paranoid about favors would pay off somewhere along the line.

*Wanders off to fill up that 13th favor orb.*

Larcus' Player
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 11:39 PM CST
well, up until now Pawn Broker has been a 50th plus Trader title, tam.

Pawn Broker Bagsodoks

<you steal it, I pawn it, we both make money,eh?>

This doesn't look like a good place to finger-waggle.
Re: Did You Ever Wonder...The Third 02/19/2003 11:47 PM CST
How many times would I have to get Empath Shock to get an Evil Empath title?

Illcram the Evil Empath

Make me rich!
Prev_page Previous 1