Prev_page Previous 1 3
Did you ever wonder.. 02/12/2003 03:12 PM CST
Why Solomon has purple hair.

Genneron
Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 03:34 PM CST
(Ok...nothing to do with Gnomes...it just sounded good.)

Did you ever wonder why you could be "alive....and you could be "dead"...but you could never be anything other than that...like..."in between"?

Solomon

PS The original post was put in the wrong area and I forgot to cross-post. So here it is again. ;)

Vote for DragonRealms as the #1 MUD every day!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 03:35 PM CST
>>Did you ever wonder why you could be "alive....and you could be "dead"...but you could never be anything other than that...like..."in between"?

Unless you are a mime. Right?

Miabelle

There is nothing more liberating than dancing barefoot.
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 03:41 PM CST
I never really did wonder that. You're pretty much one or the other...

Be interesting to see what that comes out to be.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 03:49 PM CST
in other words....Undead.

This doesn't look like a good place to finger-waggle.
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 03:59 PM CST
Um...wow, undead? To be undead...that opens up so many complex avenues. And so many questions...

Could an empath heal an undead person, or would they have to get their healing some other way?

Would it be concealable, or would you practically scream to the world what you are?

What about death? Would resurrection be possible, or would it require an entirely different method? What about favors?

What limitations would be placed on the undead? What benefits would be gained...? Perhaps different stat modifiers balanced by restrictions like aversions to certain objects and energies? It'd be something else if you could become undead and find yourself unable to use fire, or life magic, or some spells...or could you, but in a dark way?

This is a really wild idea, and I'm very excited. I don't know that any of my characters (current and upcoming) would take the option, but it'd be SO cool to have it.

______Nita's eyes filled with tears as she wondered how darkness could be so bright. Lightbringer He was, and star of the morning; and like the morning star, He needed the darkness, and shone brighter in it, and made it blessed...
-High Wizardry
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 04:10 PM CST
>>What about death? Would resurrection be possible, or would it require an entirely different method? What about favors?<<

The closest things I know of to undead PCs (Lady P and the Y'Shai) displayed an annoying tendancy to walk the starry road whenever someone 'killed' them. Something about giving up their souls.

Larcus' Player
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 04:12 PM CST
<<in other words....Undead.>>

Uh....you said that, not me.

Solomon

Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 04:15 PM CST
>>in other words....Undead.

Not necessarily. There's also Mostly Dead. And, as we all know, if you're Mostly Dead, you're also Party Alive.
Hmmm... maybe one of the new Guilds will be 'Miracle Man,' and a Barbarian title could be 'Brute Squad'!

Rummaging for a video,
- S., et al.

And then Trogdor smote the Kerreck, and all was laid to burnination.

Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 04:17 PM CST
I highly doubt Solomon is referring to undead player characters.

More likely he's referring to going unconscious, much the way you do in a challenge, before actually becoming 'dead'. If left unconscious for long enough, you'd die. Of course, creatures and players could continue to attack you when unconscious till they cut off your head or something ;)

In other words, adding another level of deadness. At final stages, perhaps you'd be required to be ressurected or risk losing two+ favors rather than a single one. Or maybe not even be able to rejuved all the way, you'd lose skill no matter what.

The death system needs an overhaul. My guess is that's what he's referring to.

- Master Cleric of Harawep
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 04:22 PM CST
I was actually thinking more a ghostly phase thing between death and life... a sort of trial to return to life (somethind I'd considered for the MUD I briefly worked on). But Smegul might be on the right track too.

-Mozzik
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 04:23 PM CST

Perhaps dieing? Incurable diseases, wasting illnesses that affect stats (loss of strength from being bed-ridden, say)

I hope that's not what he means! That's too evil! :giggle:
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 04:24 PM CST
>I was actually thinking more a ghostly phase thing between death and life... a sort of trial to return to life (somethind I'd considered for the MUD I briefly worked on).

This actually happened in the past due to an event. You couldn't be ressurected, and when you died you became a 'ghost'. Only Clerics could see you I think, and you had to be Spirit Healed before you could become whole again. Then you could dig your grave and all that.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't too far off.

- Master Cleric of Harawep
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 04:27 PM CST
What about that event we had a while back where everyone that died turned into a spirit that could float around, and who's voice could not be heard by anyone except clerics? The cleric had to wave incense at the voice they heard in order to then "see" the spirit and interact with it, or something like that. I don't remember the details. I'm betting on a more involved death system that includes some sort of spirit stage inbetween "alive" and "corpse."

Lathaliu's Player
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 04:28 PM CST
I know! I know! They're making lockout more of an IG thing. Instead of going to some solitary OOC room, your person becomes a vegetable (i.e. coma) and gets put into some kind of viewing room. Other characters can visit your not-quite-dead corpse and look at it and snicker or whatnot, but they cannot interact or mess with it. It would be like looking through a window into a stasis facility <g>.

Okay, maybe not.

-Spiritshadow
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 05:28 PM CST
You know, I've always wanted to just stay and chat with the Starry Host for a minute. He always just sends me away so fast. My spirit never gets any time to stretch.

~Katrenos

When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles; Scream and shout

Unofficial Dragonrealms Player Motto
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 05:29 PM CST

Has anyone else really let the idea, that Solomon is in charge with creative control, sink in? And if you have, does this terrify you as much as it does me? And I think Solomon should definitly stay away from DR when he's on cold medication.

Malign, would love to get involved as a AGM if he knew Jack Crud about computer programming. Would make his race dreams come to life! :envisions enslaved gnomes as his rambling thoughts fade:
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 05:39 PM CST
From all the hints that have been dropped by various GMs, I'm thinking Smegul's guess of unconsciousness is more accurate. In other words, instead of instantly dying, you'll have the opportunity to get healed before actually needing a cleric.

Shaunn
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 06:05 PM CST
Personally, I'm thinking Walking the Plane or, what was that proposed spell that would let your spirit go look for help (Could be the same thing for all I know. All I know is steel, bloodgrog and ham. Give me a break)

~Viptorian
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 07:16 PM CST
Sunderer Karszen isn't quite dead.

He's not quite alive, either.

-Chris

Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is...
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/25/2003 09:09 PM CST
<<Did you ever wonder why you could be "alive....and you could be "dead"...but you could never be anything other than that...like..."in between"?>>
Solomon

I think I was inbetween during th gorbish war that raged on several days. THen again I was up a long time and getting delusional... Does that count?

Soim of the Locksmith Union
AKA: Shadow Judge
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/26/2003 03:57 AM CST
I remember that the wandering around like ghosts was when graves were first implemented--and it was on Halloween of the year in question--but i don't remember what year it was.

Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/26/2003 07:29 AM CST
<<Did you ever wonder why you could be "alive....and you could be "dead"...but you could never be anything other than that...like..."in between"?

I thought the kill counter took care of that.

Sylvado

"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths."
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/26/2003 09:39 AM CST
<<Not necessarily. There's also Mostly Dead. And, as we all know, if you're Mostly Dead, you're also Party Alive.
Hmmm... maybe one of the new Guilds will be 'Miracle Man,' and a Barbarian title could be 'Brute Squad'>>

And if you are all the way dead the only thing to do is go thru their pockets and search for loose change. HEYYY we get to steal coins off deaders.

The player of Timargnon/Peperic
"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks." - Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/26/2003 11:50 PM CST
>And if you are all the way dead the only thing to do is go thru their pockets and search for loose change. HEYYY we get to steal coins off deaders.

"... but that's not what he said. He distinctly said "to blave", which we all know means to bluff!"

Maybe it's a new ability for Commoners or Bards...

~Beholder
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/26/2003 11:52 PM CST
D'oh! They already gave the bards that ability...

<snicker>

~Beholder
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 02/28/2003 12:02 AM CST

Maybe being inbetween dead and alive is purgatory, and the journey back to life is our quest.

Ever play Herc and Xena? Death is exactly the opposite of a stroll in the park.
Re: Did you ever wonder...Episode 4: Attack of the Gnomes 03/01/2003 08:37 PM CST
>Did you ever wonder why you could be "alive....and you could be "dead"...but you could never be anything other than that...like..."in between"?

i was thinkin it might be the mirror wraith spell/ability for moonmages.
Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 10:34 AM CST
Anyone wonder...
Why it's called "DragonRealms", when...
Something is missing?

Solomon

Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 10:35 AM CST
There have been dragons before. The sand dragons a few years back.

Icky situation.

Brabs

What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine, what's not bolted down is mine, if it can be pried up it isn't bolted down.
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 10:37 AM CST
<<Anyone wonder...
<<Why it's called "DragonRealms", when...
<<Something is missing?

::howl:: So I get my dragon familiar and get to ride him instead of taking stupid boats and use his powers to smite my enemies?

Gizella, one cup of coffee too many today
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 10:37 AM CST
Does this mean you're actually, finally bringing real dragons in? gasp

Right now the only place the word "dragon" appears is in fluff. grins

-Laelia JS
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 10:38 AM CST
Ooh. I want dragons we can have like horses.

-Path
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 10:41 AM CST
hmm. close encounters of the dragon kind?

the dragon priests will rule again?

<chirr>

kydosha, dragon priestess

Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 11:06 AM CST
You are changing the name to Ratrealms? GonifRealms? SolomonRealms?

The player of Timargnon/Peperic
"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks." - Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 11:24 AM CST
This has got me all tingly and stuff. This or the fact I'm running on 2 hours sleep. Still... dragons.... Man this is going to be a good year, especially for us dragon fans.

Van-

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.
-J. R. R. Tolkein

-dread
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 11:36 AM CST
>Anyone wonder...
Why it's called "DragonRealms", when...
Something is missing?

Erm... could it be because Lanival was referred to as the "Dragon" and he was the one that formed the 5 provinces? ::hums innocently::

So... Lanival's coming back with the Guardians?

Player of Linras Cauldrath - who knows a surprising amount of DR history for absolutely hating history class in grade school, and, well, now
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 11:41 AM CST
<<So I get my dragon familiar

I am sure you meant companion, being that familiars are not real.

Sylvado

"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths."
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 11:42 AM CST
<< <<So I get my dragon familiar

I am sure you meant companion, being that familiars are not real.>>

I hope not...last thing i want is a dragon companion. Dragons seem more magically oriented anyways. Mystical story book dragons anyways. Not like the lizard kind.

Jalika

Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 11:45 AM CST
Turnip dragons? It's about time.

~player of Gulphphunger
Prev_page Previous 1 3