Skinbuilder 10/16/2006 12:31 AM CDT
Does anybody here know anything about the skinbuilder? I am trying to edit the stormfront default skin, into something more managable for myself. After a day or so of testing, I still haven't gotten far. Things are nested within so many other things, i'm confused. <grumbles>

I'm basically trying to get the compass on the bottom right, up to the top right of the screen, or in a way I can move it around on my own.

If I remove it from the bottom bar where it is, things get all messed up, and doesn't work. If I copy and paste it elsewhere and get it set up how I want it, it doesn't operate correctly, as all the things are visible.

Any help would be appreciated. IM me at Raziaar, or e-mail me at raziaar@yahoo.com
Re: Skinbuilder 10/16/2006 01:15 PM CDT
I moved the compass rose in my skin to the lower left, so repositioning it is doable. However, the last time I messed with skins was shortly after SF came out for DR what, three years ago? So I don't remember how I did it.

What I do remember is that working with skinbuilder was indeed a royal pain. Beyond the absolute torture of trying to figure out how the XML works in the first place, I recall that certain screen elements would only function correctly if they remained in the same container item. That might be the case with the compass rose.
Re: Skinbuilder 10/16/2006 02:48 PM CDT
I found out this is all true too... So I tried to somehow create something new within the nest and take the compass with it... but it always ends up BELOW all the other layers, which is driving me nuts.

I was able to make it so I could take the entire bottom bar thing and drag it around where I want... which is great, but ultimately i'd want to figure out how to make it so each individual item within that area is draggable all across the screen into any spot a person would want it.

Oh well...
Re: Skinbuilder 10/21/2006 09:44 PM CDT
>but ultimately i'd want to figure out how to make it so each individual item within that area is draggable all across the screen into any spot a person would want it.

My experience was that what you describe just isn't possible. Most things can move around without restriction but not all.
Re: Skinbuilder 10/23/2006 01:54 PM CDT
<<My experience was that what you describe just isn't possible. Most things can move around without restriction but not all.>>

Correct, the program itself looks for certain things by following a path like find A then in A find B then in B find C. If you move B out of A and put it in D, it will not be able to find C.

Myke