Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 01/30/2006 12:52 PM CST
I cannot seem to edit the scripts in stormfront manually typing in ever single line. No cut&paste etc. I also cant seem to locate the script directory to edit the scripts outside of the front end.

Any help?

--Thanks.
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 01/30/2006 01:19 PM CST
Don't remember exactly how to do it but Stormfront defaults to storing settings (scripts, highlights and such) on the server, you have to switch it to store locally. As for not being able to cut and paste I'm not sure, I've never had a problem

Strangeguard Prayermaster
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 01/30/2006 01:25 PM CST
Dont know about editing them when not in SF but to cut and paste in SF you have to use CTRL-c and CTRL-v you can not right click in the script editor
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 01/30/2006 01:38 PM CST
Make sure you are clicking "ok" rather than "cancel" when you finish working on a script. That caused me hours of grief.

-Durnil
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 01/30/2006 07:12 PM CST
To save you the trouble of retyping. Edit your script in notepad or an equivalent text editor, saving every so often. When finished, select all, copy, and paste into your blank Stormfront script edit window with ctrl-v.

Player of Cloudcrest
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 01/31/2006 06:28 PM CST
The lack of a useful text editor for managing and editing your scripts is one of my biggest complaints about StormFront.
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/01/2006 01:48 AM CST
>The lack of a useful text editor for managing and editing your scripts is one of my biggest complaints about StormFront.

By far it is the biggest of mine. One that worked exactly like notepad would be pristine . And that's not a word I use often.

-Durnil
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/01/2006 01:51 AM CST
I have no problem using SF's text editor, myself. Anything that can't be done there can be done in Notepad and copy/pasted...

I adore the server-side script storage. I play from many different computers, and keeping my SF scripts up-to-date is trivial compared to doing the same task with my Genie scripts.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

[pi]
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/01/2006 04:29 AM CST
hehe lots of people like server side

i'm one of those that hates it

simply because the text editor sucks
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/01/2006 08:30 AM CST
I keep everything local because I kept losing everything when I kept it on the sever and switched to one PC to another

What I did was to export my settings to an xml file and I use notepad to edit that file whenever I want to change or add anything and then import it after I've saved the changes.

- Illcram
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/01/2006 08:37 AM CST
Second Life has the same kind of script editor. It makes sigh.

Search the DR Forums - http://www.freepgs.com/drsearch
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/01/2006 01:17 PM CST
What's the editor missing that notepad has? Find and Replace are all I can think of.

Myke
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/01/2006 02:59 PM CST
>Find and Replace are all I can think of.

Got it in one. I copy/paste countless times between the two for that single function alone.

Also, it would be nice if stuff wouldn't scale if you held down control and used the wheel button. It's weird :)

-Durnil
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/01/2006 03:24 PM CST
Personally, I like being able to alt+tab between an editor and a game window, instead of using the mouse to change focus... I suppose it's a context thing in my head. Edit multiple scripts at one time. Find and replace. A way to toggle word wrap on/off. A way to dock the script editor.

And sometimes when I grab the edge of the script picker window to resize it StormFront crashes...

Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/01/2006 05:09 PM CST
<<Also, it would be nice if stuff wouldn't scale if you held down control and used the wheel button. It's weird :)>>

Ahh, neat. Never knew about that, must be a feature of the richedit control(that's what its using).

Myke
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/01/2006 05:27 PM CST
While we're here, it would be awesome if the script chooser would let you type in a key and then automatically scroll to the first script starting with that letter.

-Durnil
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/01/2006 05:36 PM CST
Ooo yes... jump to line 1,135

Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/02/2006 02:00 AM CST
>Ooo yes... jump to line 1,135

seconded

Complicated bug checking is a pain when you've got more lines of code than dollars in the ol' bank account

-Durnil
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/02/2006 02:09 AM CST
Hells, that's too easy for me...

>put forage %1 careful
>waitfor roundtime
>put put my %1 in %2
>goto forage

Already beat my bank account for the beginning of this month.

Amagaim; the player of,

Our culture doesn't get smarter. It finds new ways of being retarded.
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/02/2006 08:14 AM CST
>Hells, that's too easy for me...

Travel scripts net me a lot of lines...

Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/04/2006 02:49 PM CST
>What's the editor missing that notepad has? Find and Replace are all I can think of.

> Myke

Yep, those are sorely missed features for me as well. Just to give one example, any kind of sophisticated script will use variables extensively and you've got to have a quick way to update variable names if you decide to make a change.

I also like having the editor be a separate process from the front end so I can have multiple windows going. And I know you can use the keyboard shortcuts <ctrl-C> etc, but I much prefer using the right-click context menu to do that. And there's still a bug in the 'scripts' window in SF where the story window scroll freezes when you click OK.
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/04/2006 03:12 PM CST
find and replace is a necessary part of script editing. I also don't like how stormfront script window doesn't have a minimize button so I can put it out of the way when I'm editing on the fly and need to go back to the game for something

Souv

xxxx is teaching a class on advanced (compared to what you already know) empathy, and there appears to be room in it. You are in this class!

Huzzah!
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/24/2006 03:32 AM CST
But... I love that you can put something like this into your script.

put for %1
blah blah
put drop %1 in %2

and that for %1, you can do this .forage yelith_root blue_pouch

and you'll get...

for yelith root

put yelith root in blue pouch

I love that, if you could do that with wizard, I never knew about it till I got to stormfront, but it's still nice.

~~
Xx gags comically for a moment as frost erupts inside his neck, forcing it to explode in a shower of blackened flesh and wrinkled skin. The head wobbles precariously for a second upon the neck's skeletal remains before falling to the ground.
~~
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/24/2006 12:34 PM CST
Quotes also work, so yelith_root and "yelith root" work the same.

-Durnil
Re: Editing scripts/accessing script directory. 02/25/2006 05:51 AM CST
<Quotes also work, so yelith_root and "yelith root" work the same.>

in YASSE you can also use brackets [yelith root]. brackets are neat because you can use quote marks inside the brackets. wizard and stormfront see the brackets and ignore them, they see the quote mark and see it as the beginning of a word...

.killperson [says, "kill me] [exclaims, "kill me]

Wheller

try out my new reqs calculator as opposed to those circle calculators
http://robertdell.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/calculate

http://sourceforge.net/projects/yasse/
When in doubt, reinvent the wheel!