Testing/Playing Multiple Instances 11/17/2013 04:10 PM CST
>>will we be able to play both prime and test (or plat/TF and test) this go round?

>>No, I don't think it is something that we as GMs even have control over. The logic has been that playing multiple instances simultaneously will increase the chance for AFK scripting. It would definitely help us test things if it were possible, though.

I'd just like to follow up on the question posed in the Abilities, Skills, and Magic folder about whether or not we'd be able to be logged in to both prime and test (or TF/Plat and test). Kodius mentioned that he didn't believe it was something the GM's had any control over, could anyone find out who we'd need to plead our case to, please?

It seems to me that playing in both prime and test is not very different from somebody who runs multiple accounts simultaneously, which is deemed perfectly acceptable. The test server would benefit TREMENDOUSLY and the GM's would be able to receive far more feedback from a much larger portion of the population, speeding up the bug squishing and giving a larger and more thorough spread of circle and ranks to ensure that the new releases are functioning properly across the board.

AFK scripting rules still apply, and I encourage the GM's the enforce them during the testing period the same as they would during the rest of the year. I'm sure everyone at this point is well aware of the penalties of AFK scripting, so if somebody doesn't feel like they can divide their attention between two windows, they will likely still stick to one instance.

As somebody who runs two accounts and has had no problems staying attentive and monitoring both characters at once, I really feel that the suggestion that opening both instances would lead to some apocalyptic AFK scripting scenario is built on a faulty foundation. I won't even get into the irony of this logic when you have players out there who are already operating 4+ accounts at once.

Just some food for thought.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Testing/Playing Multiple Instances 11/19/2013 10:22 PM CST
another, fairly simple, 'help' to the issue, is to drop a huge reminder when people log into test, that if they're logged into one of the main instances, that they are still expected to be attentive to that instance.

just reminding people of those things before they have a chance to log into it and go, 'oops, i was testing, please take back the script punishment.'

if there's a reminder, people who don't think they can be attentive will just drop test. those of us with the mental capacity to monitor multiple instances should be just fine, but the reminder would be a nice way to let people do both, keep the player responsible, and mitigate the impending 'but i was trying to help!' response.

>The shadowling exclaims, "Mana neeto!"
Re: Testing/Playing Multiple Instances 11/19/2013 10:45 PM CST
It isn't really about Test distracting from Prime/Plat. It is about being attentive in Test to catch bugs, issues and give feedback. They really want people in Test to actually test things. No matter how well one thinks they can multitask and watch "multiple screens at once" they really can only be sincerely focused on one. With Test open they want that focus to be totally there.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Testing/Playing Multiple Instances 11/20/2013 06:04 AM CST
From things that have been posted over the years by various GMs, I'm pretty sure that it's a system limitation that won't allow a single account to be logged into two servers at the same time.

My (admittedly vague) recollection is that one of the conversations included something along the lines of it being theoretically possible but requiring a major re-architecting of how the various instance servers tie into the central account validation service.

So you can log two different accounts into the same instance or two different accounts into two different instances and they'll both validate fine, but you can't log a single account into two different instances at the same time without the second log invalidating the first log in's access key.

Meigs
Re: Testing/Playing Multiple Instances 11/26/2013 07:51 PM CST
<<It isn't really about Test distracting from Prime/Plat. It is about being attentive in Test to catch bugs, issues and give feedback. They really want people in Test to actually test things. No matter how well one thinks they can multitask and watch "multiple screens at once" they really can only be sincerely focused on one. With Test open they want that focus to be totally there.>>

Yes, this is pretty much it. We want folks to be testing in test and making sure things work. If you're not actively testing or helping someone else test, then it's best to "play" back in Prime.

Solomon
Re: Testing/Playing Multiple Instances 11/27/2013 12:47 PM CST
Why can't I be attentive in test while running my combat script in prime? How's that different from when I'm running my combat script on one character and RPing my other character? Or running my combat script on both characters while I work/read/watch TV/chat or whatever else? I don't think this reason holds any water. If it's a technical reason then fine, I get that, but please stop pretending it's because people will AFK or can't multitask.
Re: Testing/Playing Multiple Instances 11/27/2013 02:34 PM CST
<<running my combat script on both characters while I work/read/watch TV/chat or whatever else>>

This is AFK scripting and can result in a warning.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Testing/Playing Multiple Instances 11/27/2013 02:50 PM CST
>This is AFK scripting and can result in a warning.

Totally, off topic, but no it isn't.

You are allowed to do whatever the heck you want to do as long as you are attentive to the game. If you can watch TV, read, and watch the scroll of the DR grind at the same time you're fine.

And let's be honest, if Simu really cared about AFK scripting there wouldn't be as many AFK scripters as there are (I'm looking at you Ratha Green!).

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Testing/Playing Multiple Instances 11/27/2013 03:18 PM CST
>>Yes, this is pretty much it. We want folks to be testing in test and making sure things work. If you're not actively testing or helping someone else test, then it's best to "play" back in Prime.

I assure you that actively testing while still monitoring my character in the prime instance is exactly the same as me running two accounts. I am not AFK on either, but my attention is normally focused on one specifically while I monitor the other for interaction/AFK checks/dangers in combat. Will I run both of my characters in prime and test at the same time? No, four would be too much for me to keep up with, but I can say with confidence from experience that two certainly is not.

For those of us that enjoy watching our numbers go up, I'd prefer to be able to have one of my characters gaining skill while I test. Without that luxury, the amount of time I spend in the test instance will be reduced dramatically, and I suspect I'm not the only player that feels that way. When the 3.0 test servers went live, there were lots of folks testing for the first week or so, but then the numbers tapered off dramatically. I suspect that 3.1 will see the same results and will miss out on a lot of valuable feedback because of it.

Like MAGIC1300 said, if it's a technical issue, that's fine I get it. But if concerns of attentiveness are the only reason why test and other instances can't be accessed simultaneously, I'd ask that the policy be reevaluated.

>>I won't even get into the irony of this logic when you have players out there who are already operating 4+ accounts at once.

Just wanted to reiterate this point. If people are capable of dividing their attention between four or more accounts while still remaining in the bounds of acceptable scripting or general ATK policy, it's absurd to suggest that those of us who wish to only run two at a time would be incapable of providing relevant feedback.

>>This is AFK scripting and can result in a warning.

Not necessarily. I browse the internet almost constantly when I play DR, and am not AFK in the least. I also chat with friends and other players as well. It's not only possible, but pretty easy to divide attention between several windows so long as you're keeping all of the important stuff visible.

>befriend clear all
You are now friendless.
Re: Testing/Playing Multiple Instances 11/27/2013 05:15 PM CST

Guys,

You're off topic.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.