Prev_page Previous 1
So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/06/2016 09:29 PM CST

So lets do a CrowdFund, Gofundme, kickstarter for DR anywyas.

Because what we don't make in money we make in hip alternative form of facebook advertisement BY GETTING US TO SHARE THE LINKS and such.

The real effort would be in designing the page layouts to make it as appealing as possible.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/06/2016 09:36 PM CST
There is absolutely no way I'm giving Simutronics any more of my money unless I know for sure it's going to the GM's 200%... as in, Simu matches buck for buck.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/06/2016 10:41 PM CST

Thats why we share the links on our facewebs and twitters and get OTHER people to give money! :P Or else simply attract people to the game through the use of modern free advertising methods.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 02:58 PM CST
I'd be more interested in getting a list of planned or possible additions, and if we could fund individual GMs or groups to put it in game themselves. Kinda pay them for their time spent to speed along progress.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 03:36 PM CST
>>I'd be more interested in getting a list of planned or possible additions, and if we could fund individual GMs or groups to put it in game themselves. Kinda pay them for their time spent to speed along progress.

Several GM's have already said that something like this wouldn't increase the time they give to DR, and the amount of money that it would take to increase that time would be way more than you would get from something like this. On top of that, forcing them to work on projects that they aren't already inclined to work on would do more bad than good in the long run.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 03:49 PM CST
I can't speak for any other GM, but I can absolutely say that for me to spend any more time on DR than I already do, I would have to be able to quit my full time job. I can't imagine any crowdfunded effort would manage to not only compensate me at a matching rate, including benefits, but make up for the uncertainty of re-entering the job market when the funds ran out ;)

-Persida
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 06:00 PM CST
Here's the problem:

To crowdfund enough money to get me to increase my DR output meaningfully you'd need to replace my salary (with benefits) from my real job.

Say you do that - now I need to be able to trust you're going to be able to keep doing that indefinitely.

Neither of those is going to happen - and that's just for one person.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 06:47 PM CST

What about a Patreon kind of thing, then?
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 06:57 PM CST
>>What about a Patreon kind of thing, then?

Ignoring that this whole line of thought is rather tasteless, you're either grossly overestimating how much patreons bring in or grossly underestimating how much a software engineer can demand.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 07:48 PM CST
Personally, if you want to invest money in something that would draw in a greater crowd for DR and/or foster more development, there are a few options out there for you that don't involve 100% unattainable things like "pay someone's salary":

1) Do something like what the folks originally at Elanthipedia did: realize there was a need (living game documentation) and fill that void. My understanding is that's how Genie came along, too (saw a stronger front end was needed, and they made one).
2) If you feel that they should invest in ads, buy some sponsored content for DR. Go on facebook.com/business and after creating an ad account select "Send people to this website" as the campaign purpose. If you care about DR in particular, play.net/dr can be the URL to promote. Want to do it on twitter? Go to ads.twitter.com and set up something similar. There is probably something along those lines on reddit, too. Just make sure that it's clear that Simu itself isn't doing the promotion, and that you're a user who really loves the game and thinks others will, too. You can probably reach a few thousand people for the price of a longer quest.
3) Want more dev? Seriously, sign up to be a GM and do some dev! Yes, you'll have to quality and get trained and there is a time investment, but this is something GMs want players to help work on.

The best kind of online marketing these days are advocates of a product. Advocates get a much stronger RoI than anything else. Be an advocate, that is what will help DR. Advocates will bring in new players who may someday convert to new GMs who will keep the game's development thriving.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 07:50 PM CST
<Ignoring that this whole line of thought is rather tasteless, you're either grossly overestimating how much patreons bring in or grossly underestimating how much a software engineer can demand.

Probably both, in the understanding that he likes to post without bothering to look up a lot of information. Not really trying to poke at anybody here. This conversation has been brought up before.

This type of thing could be done, maybe it should be done, I dunno. Like many others have said, nothing is going to make people that work on the game vastly change the current amount of work that is done in game. The people that GM in game here probably bring in a decent amount of money, and enjoy the game which is why they volunteer their time. I doubt they sit at their moms house putting in hours on DR because they just love it without any other income though. I think the current GM's have done a lot in recent years and maybe something funding wise wouldn't be out of the question. That being said, anything that was done would most likely have to go through the corporation and that is a hassle.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 07:55 PM CST

>>Ignoring that this whole line of thought is rather tasteless, you're either grossly overestimating how much patreons bring in or grossly underestimating how much a software engineer can demand.

I respect your opinion and I completely disagree with it, seeing how i've seen Patreons for web comics break $5000 a month from almost as many $1 contributors..

Whats wrong with this line of thought again, using calculable logic and reason and not personal opinion?

Why are we assuming that we need to pay exorbitantly to have things accomplished? When did that become a thing for fresh college students with a degree looking to expand their work base via internships?

There was that new beehive design from indiegogo that asked for $50,000 to make it, and ended up with over 12 Million.

The worst thing that our efforts achieve is that we don't get any farther than when we started, but the best thing that can happen is that we obtain our goals. A little effort goes a long way.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 08:04 PM CST
>>I respect your opinion and I completely disagree with it, seeing how i've seen Patreons for web comics break $5000 a month from almost as many $1 contributors..

The fact that you believe $60k/yr is the market rate for a solid developer, not even taking the costs of benefits like insurance into the mix, is a good sign that you're definitely outside of your element.

>>Why are we assuming that we need to pay exorbitantly to have things accomplished?

Because any GM who has ever weighed in on this or past conversations has pointed out that if they were capable of committing more time to DR, it would have to be as a full time developer, and when you factor in things like insurance you're going to have to commit to around $100k a year.

>>There was that new beehive design from indiegogo that asked for $50,000 to make it, and ended up with over 12 Million.

Please please please recognize that people do those things as side projects, not full time projects. No one is going to ditch their full time job, with benefits, for $50k. Full stop. Period. End of story. Factual statement made. Door closed. People wondering why anyone would state this. Etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 08:17 PM CST
>>Why are we assuming that we need to pay exorbitantly to have things accomplished? When did that become a thing for fresh college students with a degree looking to expand their work base via internships?

Because we are talking about a text based game that is 20 years old and largely uses a proprietary language that isn't useful anywhere else. It's more useful in a cool story and I've made things work in a difficult environment rather than I've know this language and it will help me do this job easier.

Also, and this is the big one, Simutronics is not looking to hire a full time game developer for DR, or any of their games, and any money collected and given to them will be used how they want to use it, not how we want them to. You can't make Simu do anything with money they didn't ask for that they don't want to do.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 08:24 PM CST
>>I respect your opinion and I completely disagree with it, seeing how i've seen Patreons for web comics break $5000 a month from almost as many $1 contributors..
The fact that you believe $60k/yr is the market rate for a solid developer, not even taking the costs of benefits like insurance into the mix, is a good sign that you're definitely outside of your element.

This.

The market rate for a strong software engineer is in excess of 100k/year, (sometimes highly in excess) and that's without benefits.

Probably both, in the understanding that he likes to post without bothering to look up a lot of information. Not really trying to poke at anybody here. This conversation has been brought up before.

And this. Do your research, whether that's a quick Elanithipedia search, or a google search on software engineers salaries, (glassdoor.com is a good one) before you post.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 08:26 PM CST
Hi, my name is Armifer, one of the handful of people you are trying to encourage to working longer hours for your enjoyment. Personal opinion is everything to this discussion.

Equating the work I do to money is a bad idea. Flat out, stop the presses, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. If at any point I considered my time with DR a for-profit enterprise I'd immediately quit because I am not being paid remotely enough for that logic to fly. I, and any GM that sticks, do this for intrinsic reasons. So, yes, I consider the notion that money would make me work harder than my intrinsic interest in the game to be tasteless.

The money is nice. It's my entertainment budget and I'd rather have it than not. But the hours I put into DR are far, far and away a loss if I ever came to think of it as a profit-driven task.

>>Why are we assuming that we need to pay exorbitantly to have things accomplished? When did that become a thing for fresh college students with a degree looking to expand their work base via internships?

I'm not an intern, I'm a contractor with just shy of 12 years experience. If Simutronics ever wants to hire interns that'll be their business, but it isn't what's happening now.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 10:49 PM CST

I feel like this discussion isn't making as much headway because the assumption is that the work load will be put on the current staff, and it doesn't seem to breach the horizon that others could be hired to do the work. It doesn't breach the horizon that current players could help do the work.

If the issue of getting new players onto staff is the time it takes to teach the archaic coding system, then there are several options that could be done to alleviate it.

A couple:

One: Another hiring period where new stuff is put on hold and staff member/volunteers are trained.

Two: A grand effort to create a training guide that could be read and followed for self teaching.

It doesn't matter how much someone is worth if they don't get a job that pays them as much as their worth, what matters is whether or not they are willing to take the job at the pay given. Which many, many, many, many, many, many would.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/07/2016 10:57 PM CST
<< There was that new beehive design from indiegogo that asked for $50,000 to make it, and ended up with over 12 Million.>>

Please tell me you aren't talking about that ridiculous "Flow Hive" gimmicky POS. As a mazer, it's appalling how many people have bought into that particular scam. It's more expensive than a traditional hive, encourages swarming, die-offs, and unhealthy bees (which can spread to other hives within a 3-mile radius), and generates inferior unripened, crystallized, or even fermented honey. I could go on for hours about how ungood this thing is... And I have. Elsewhere. Not relevant. The relevant part is:

<< Why are we assuming that we need to pay exorbitantly to have things accomplished? The worst thing that our efforts achieve is that we don't get any farther than when we started... >>

Or a bunch of well-intentioned (but gullible) folks can put their money towards something that ends up being an inferior solution to a problem you didn't have, and creates a dozen infinitely worse problems further down the line that someone then has to clean up.

To be honest, I see alot right about crowdfunding... But don't use this example. Anything but this example. This example needs to die in fire.

~Aislynn
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 06:27 AM CST
>>I feel like this discussion isn't making as much headway because the assumption is that the work load will be put on the current staff, and it doesn't seem to breach the horizon that others could be hired to do the work.

Because Simu isn't interested in hiring anyone to do this type of work, and throwing money at them, that they didn't ask for, will not make them want to hire a full time developer.

>>It doesn't breach the horizon that current players could help do the work.

They can already help. Fill out a GM application. As I understand it they have a new class of GMs in training right now, and I'm sure they will be looking for more after they get done with them.

If you mean letting players develop for the game without becoming a GM then that's not going to happen. There is some legal stuff that stands in the way of that along with needing the same training that GM's go through to learn how.

How can you not see the issue with a third party asking for money on the behalf of a business that is not asking for that money? What do you think will happen when either that business does not accept the money and that third party just has the player's money to do with what they want, or the business takes the money, that again they didn't ask for, and just spends it however they want? I see something like this upsetting players more than pleasing them if it isn't done the correct way.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 08:30 AM CST
>>I feel like this discussion isn't making as much headway because the assumption is that the work load will be put on the current staff, and it doesn't seem to breach the horizon that others could be hired to do the work. It doesn't breach the horizon that current players could help do the work.

It's not making headway because your suggestion is badly thought out at best and insulting at worst.

>>If the issue of getting new players onto staff is the time it takes to teach the archaic coding system

Case in point: the system isn't archaic as much as it is unique.

>>Another hiring period where new stuff is put on hold and staff member/volunteers are trained.

Another case in point: the assumption that all that needs to be done is "another hiring period," not factoring in things like "who is training these people" or "does anyone have time to run another cohort right now or do they have their own projects to do".

>>It doesn't matter how much someone is worth if they don't get a job that pays them as much as their worth, what matters is whether or not they are willing to take the job at the pay given. Which many, many, many, many, many, many would.

Please stop. You are not convincing anyone. You are more likely doing the opposite at the way you treat income as some kind of weird esoteric treat.

Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 10:16 AM CST
Stop trying to help.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 12:16 PM CST
My two cents: The GMs definitely aren't closed to player support. Over the last couple decades I've seen them solicit the player base for:

- Shops and inventory design
- Creature messaging
- Room/location writing
- System testing and feedback
- Game documentation
- Ideas big and small, and more

Some of these have been contests and some have just been open discussions. So in my experience the best way for players to encourage development is to be patient, cooperative and constructive with the work the GMs are actively doing to better the game instead of looking for greener grass.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 12:41 PM CST

As it were, I've been polite to respond to peoples comments and concerns in a rational and level headed fashion, reading the many thoughts and comments and misconceptions, despite the tangents left and right.

Let me redirect you to the original post

>>Because what we ---don't make in money--- we make in hip ---alternative form--- of facebook ---advertisement--- BY GETTING US TO SHARE THE LINKS and such.

There is a reason this is the advertising section, as the original comment explicitly mentioned how this was less of a way to make money, which it wasn't expected to, and simply another form of advertising method by sharing the link to it. OR DOES IT COST MONEY TO MAKE ONE OF THOSE GOFUNDME PAGES I suppose I don't know, but if it doesn't, free advertisement.

(drops the mic)
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 12:46 PM CST
If you want to raise awareness of the game and bring in new blood you should do so. But given what you've been told about what you're proposing, I don't understand why you can't simply say 'Ok, nevermind that idea'.

There are lots of ways to advertise the game. I encourage people to do that.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 12:50 PM CST

Because they didn't understand that it was for advertising purposes, and not an incentive to get the coders to code more/spend more time coding/put money into the game/give money to Simu/get simu to hire a code/everything that had NOTHING to do with the original suggestion, just peoples imagination run wild.

I'm not mad at them, but comprehension of words is key in a text base game.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 01:54 PM CST
>>Let me redirect you to the original post

It's entirely possible that apparently everyone who responded to you misread you, but your post sounded like "why not do a crowdfunding through social media" with the implication being "to pay for more DR development," since that's what it was the last time(s) you brought it up and/or suggested it in various threads, and not "why not do crowdfunding through social media some advertising to do on social media," which just comes off as weird because at that point why not just be a direct advocate instead of advocate for some funds to advocate.

>>OR DOES IT COST MONEY TO MAKE ONE OF THOSE GOFUNDME PAGES I suppose I don't know, but if it doesn't, free advertisement.

First of all, yes, it costs money to do it, because that's how GoFundMe exists as a business.

Second of all, if the end goal is "advertising" why not directly buy some promoted/sponsored posts on facebook/twitter/instagram instead of funding someone else to do it. You can literally reach 1k or so people who hit all the demographics for DR (RPG/MUD/Pen & Paper RPGs/etc) for like $10 a pop. If that's one person buying an impact of ~10k for $100 or ten people buying an impact of ~1k for $10 each, it's the same impact.

The second suggestion goes with the strong stipulation that you should make sure it's clear you're a fan of DR, and not doing this as an official representative, and it probably wouldn't hurt for DR to give its blessing, but you're really over complicating things if you think a fundraiser is needed to push out some links on social media. ESPECIALLY since you'd have to do that for the GoFundMe to begin with. You'd be doing the same job twice, which is incredibly bad management.

Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 02:17 PM CST

Now we have some good conversation going.

The reason to do it through a CrowdFunder type thing and not through a generic dedicated post is because it is more appealing to do so.

How many dedicated advertisements have you seen, that look like they were posted by a robot, made you want to click it? How many things, indiegogo kickstarter whatever, that a friend you know or a person you like to follow has shared, have you clicked on? It draws in more attention when someone wants to raise funds or build up something then when they want to sell you something/get you to join.

Ever bought some $8 girl scout cookies or $9 bar of chocolate some kid was selling because it was for a fundraiser? Were YOU ever that girl scout selling those cookies or that kid with the over priced chocolate/whatever you were selling? You would never in your life pay that much unless you felt something other than yourself was gaining benefit from it. That appeal is what draws people in to things they otherwise wouldn't normally be drawn to.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 02:29 PM CST
>>Ever bought some $8 girl scout cookies or $9 bar of chocolate some kid was selling because it was for a fundraiser? Were YOU ever that girl scout selling those cookies or that kid with the over priced chocolate/whatever you were selling? You would never in your life pay that much unless you felt something other than yourself was gaining benefit from it. That appeal is what draws people in to things they otherwise wouldn't normally be drawn to.

This would support the idea of individuals being advocates for the game and promoting it through their own means than running any kind of fundraising campaign to raise money for a more "corporate" ad.

Look, if we take you at your word that your end goal is "we need to raise money to advertise DragonRealms," then all the effort that would go into a GoFundMe (or whatever) would be much better spent if people just advocated for the game as individuals and spent that $10-20 (or whatever) they'd spend on a GoFundMe to boost their post/tweet/etc through the advertising options available on those social media accounts.

You appear to be arguing this:
1) Set up a GoFundMe that will collect money to "advertise DragonRealms"
2) Invest time/effort in advocating the importance of "advertising DragonRealms", a hard sell itself, on social channels.
3) Take a reduced amount of those funds raised (since GoFundMe is a business and they like being paid), and then creating something. Is the funds raised going toward hiring a designer? Is it going toward just paying for the ad placement? Is the person running the entire thing getting paid for their time? How is this an effective investment in money.
4) Assume Simu itself doesn't want you to stop doing this, for whatever reason.

The counterpoint to your suggestion is this:
1) Invest time/effort in advocating for "playing DragonRealms", an easier sell than "pay for this company's marketing budget"
2) If you feel you wrote something really good, take that $10-20 you would have given GoFundMe and literally boost your post/tweet/etc on a social channel.
3) Assume Simu is less likely to take issue with you doing a marketing campaign for them, since you're talking about the game as an individual and not muddying the waters by creating a robust campaign.

You're making this overly complicated. As I said previously, and as you seem to be saying now, no one really pays attention to ads. Your best marketing source online are advocates of your product. If you want to create a real marketing effort for DR, you'd be much better off encouraging people to talk about DR, promote DR, and maybe occasionally toss a few dollars at boosting their messaging to reach individuals outside of your own circle that hit the right demographics.

I have no idea why you want to do a marketing GoFundMe. It's just not how things are done, especially in the context of a for-profit company.

Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 02:36 PM CST
>girl scout cookies

The Girl Scouts are a non-profit company. DragonRealms and Simutronics are not. People don't generally give for profit companies money out of the goodness of their heart, they give it with the expectation of something in return.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 02:47 PM CST

No no no no no. A little bit of yes, well thought out responses at the least, but several more times no.

The goal of the gofuncrowdkickstarter is _NOT TO RAISE FUNDS_. The goal is ADVERTISEMENT. TO ADVERTISE. To use POPULAR MEANS AND SOURCES as a point of ADVERTISEMENT.

Set the goal to $1,000,000, never reach it, never receive any money because the goal wasn't met. But it will be something searchable and seeable on not only THAT crowdmoneytaking website, but also wherever one shares the link to it, twitter facebook google+ whatever.

Aside from appealing to your friends and friends of friends to take a look at it by sharing it via social media, drawing them into it because GiveMeMoney websites links shared by friends draw in audiences VERY WELL, it gives it a spot on those well trafficked HopeIGetSomethingForGivingMoney websites, where people often idly browse through the categories to see "what else might be interesting." And if it just so happens that someone finds a DR listing "interesting" then it gets shared by friends, and their friends of friends.

>>The Girl Scouts are a non-profit company.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42270952/ns/business-small_business/t/how-girl-scouts-built-their-million-cookie-empire/

Yea, and if i'm a billionaire but don't have a house I guess i'm homeless, but I sure have a lot of money. Correlation? If I say i'm a nonprofit and sell something to you and make a profit... Lets not even though, gotta stay on topic.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 02:49 PM CST
Hi there,

With the danger of being flamed for even bothering to post, I'm going to make a statement anyway. As someone who knows a thing or two about marketing and about Crowdfunding I think we need to be clear on the fact that Crowdfunding, whilst often utilised as a form of funding, is not, infact, about raising funds. It is a form of marketing added to the marketing mix by knowledgeable marketeers and PR agencies who understand the value of audience.

To successfully execute a Crowdfunding campaign one must already have raised a minimum of 30% of the target fundraising amount prior to launching the campaign to achieve any level of success. Add to this the need to pre plan a content strategy and understand the structure of the perk system that requires what we would refer to as "lean in" perks and "lean back" perks as well as engagement perks (all of which cost money to deliver on), it is simply not possible to run a campaign without the express interaction and contribution of the brand/IP Owner.

I understand your desire to try and create alternative advertising channels however this is not a free advertising channel. It takes as much time and investment as any other marketing channel in the mix and should not be undertaken lightly. Any Crowdfunding platform is not dissimilar to an app store, it is a crowded marketplace with thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of campaigns actively seeking audiences at any given time. So if you're intending on throwing your hat in the ring you need to have some investment behind the campaign before you even put it on the platform otherwise you'll be yet another campaign launching and sinking in the vastness of the ocean of wannabe campaigns that never raise their funding target. In short, this is not a way to cost efficiently advertise DR.

All that said, I would agree with the GM's who've posted, Crowdfunding is simply not the right approach to the situation and if measured on a time investment versus profit basis no GM would ever work on DR. It wouldn't make sense. There's a reason some people would never apply for a GM or GH position no matter how qualified they might be (and trust me, there are some highly qualified people amongst the GM's). What you are talking about is a group of highly skilled individuals who give their time because they want to, not because they're paid to.

*quietly steps away*

~Lady Kintalia Silvermist~

http://silvermistfamily.wix.com/silvermist
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 02:54 PM CST
>>The goal of the gofuncrowdkickstarter is _NOT TO RAISE FUNDS_. The goal is ADVERTISEMENT. TO ADVERTISE. To use POPULAR MEANS AND SOURCES as a point of ADVERTISEMENT.

>>Set the goal to $1,000,000, never reach it, never receive any money because the goal wasn't met. But it will be something searchable and seeable on not only THAT crowdmoneytaking website, but also wherever one shares the link to it, twitter facebook google+ whatever.

In light of this, I preferred when you were insulting the coders, mainly because now I feel like you're insulting me and/or trying to play an incredibly avant-garde prank.

Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 02:57 PM CST
Also, the original poster seems to not realise, that setting a goal of 1 Million dollars and then not achieving it actually does damage to the overall Simutronics brand which will be seen to not have enough audience traction to be able to accomplish a funding goal. This actually has a monetarily damaging impact on the brand. To the original poster: Lets not and say we did?

~Lady Kintalia Silvermist~

http://silvermistfamily.wix.com/silvermist
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 03:02 PM CST
Discussions of money, like politics and religion, rarely end well, intentions be damned. Many of us have let passion take over in less controversial topics, like our rented text.

This game is personal for all of us. I mean, it’s managed to stick around, thanks to the community (GMs, GHs, mentors, players, etc.), despite being in what most would call a dead genre. So… I am SO quitting if longswords get nerfed, or if Pureblade gets buffed because… Well, because Pureblade!

Back on... off topic... Whether or not this is relevant to the OP (I understand the post was referring to advertising specifically), I have also thought of a crowdsourcing thing to fund specific projects some GMs have stated they wanted to undertake but couldn’t due to resource constraints. I don’t think thinking so was a sin given a GM poster has posted in the past that s/he wished s/he could invest a specific large sum of money in certain projects (which speaks to the nobility of the position as it stands – clearly it ain’t about the money). However, I realized two things:

1) The playerbase isn’t big enough. I’ve seen crowdsourced projects for which the starter had hundreds of thousands or millions of “followers” that didn’t net nearly THAT much, and it’s a hard sell when our relatively small community of, maybe, a couple thousand players (pushing it) already pays to play.
2) The community donates its time because many of us have a love or appreciation for the game that extends beyond ranks and abilities. This is one is probably the bigger point for some (for me) because there’s something beautiful about the game (and mostly dead in gaming) and bringing money into the equation devalues it.

As far as advertising goes, I don't know that going heavier into ad would help much, although I've flip-flopped a little on that. Hope springs eternal and all that. The fact remains we, people who appreciate MUDs, are a very niche audience in 2016, but social media would be a great way to go at an individual, player level, given that we probably have friends who share similar interests with friends who share similar interests, etc.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 03:19 PM CST

$1,000,000 wouldn't actually be the goal that'd be set, that was just a number thrown out there to paint an understandable portrait of the scenario.

Thank YOU KINTALIA, because its hard conversing with people who don't get marketing. Its nice when someone else comes in to explain it, because one person doing it apparently makes them sound crazy.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 03:39 PM CST
>>Thank YOU KINTALIA, because its hard conversing with people who don't get marketing. Its nice when someone else comes in to explain it, because one person doing it apparently makes them sound crazy.

...you do realize that she's also telling you that the idea is pants on head silly, right?

Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 03:56 PM CST
This is why I said stop trying to help.

Stop.
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 04:03 PM CST
Hi I'm Thayet. I've helped do social media promotion for various Kickstarters and GoFundMes related to TTRPGs. Neither of these things will work for DR. It will fail for all of the reasons Kintalia said and it will actually end up doing harm.

On the general subject of advertising, certain advertising spots have helped in the past, but you have to be very, very careful about your target audience too because you're pushing a very niche product to begin with and if you pitch it at the wrong crowd your ROI will be tiny to nonexistent.

Years ago for example, Simu comped the cost of 4 internal banners on Something Awful to point to a thread about DR. That cost 40 dollars and pulled in about ~30-40 new players. The bulk didn't stick around of course, but that was when even starting accounts cost money, long before f2p, so it was worth it.

So something like that would probably work on different venues -- Facebook, twitter, and reddit (ugh) have been mentioned -- but you'd have to find someone willing to do all that work too. Once upon a time I did it all for free, but that was when I was young and naive and didn't realize my time had value. Now I'd expect to be comped somehow for any advertising work I did on Simu's behalf. And honestly, all else aside, I don't think Whatley's buying.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 04:18 PM CST
OP:

It seems to me you're wanting a "viral" marketing campaign... at the risk of sounding meme-ish... One does not simply make something "go viral"...

I'd be more in favor of creating a novelty reddit username of ASK_ME_ABOUT_DRAGONREALMS and then giving witty comments on front page posts. When someone asks, explain how cool you think DR is, give your testimonial and maybe you'll draw some more players and money for DR which in turn will make things better for the players.

Or... Maybe I'm not "getting it" either.

Best regards,

--
Re: So lets do a CrowdFund for DR anyways 02/08/2016 05:26 PM CST
Am I the only one who wants to scream after reading this post?
Prev_page Previous 1