Is 01/18/2014 07:34 PM CST
Do it dummy

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Is 01/19/2014 10:48 AM CST
Did.

50 votes away from 4th place now, still presently in 7th.

(is bumping taboo?)

I like to imagine that the popping sound of PD is kind of like the fire swamp.
Re: Is 01/19/2014 02:05 PM CST
Nah but bump with a link, people are lazy

Re: Is 01/19/2014 07:45 PM CST

Ah, the only way I manage to read these things is by using the threaded view and the 'show new' by the top. So I always see the link on the first post. I understand how its useful though.

Re: Is 01/24/2014 02:30 PM CST
>> Pricing is irrelevant. No single product is going to appeal to everyone.

lol

Cheerios are obviously the better-tasting and probably better-for-you product. But I still buy Malt-o-Meal every time.
Wanna know why? Economics.

If I had a choice between the two at the same price, do you know what I'd choose every time? Cheerios.

Do you want to know why people shop at Wal-Mart? It's not because they like getting lost in a warehouse trying to find out why fruit juice got moved to the 'health-food' section. It's not because they have to walk half a mile to find that 'health-food' section. It's not because they can find that same product in a smaller convenience store at a glance. It's not because they hate talking to the same neighborhood sales clerk every time they shop. And it's probably not because they believe Wal-Mart is slowly taking over the world.

http://economics.about.com/cs/micfrohelp/a/priceelasticity.htm

Believe it or not, I think Simu severely underestimates the real demand for a game like DR. High prices does not do a game like DR justice. Higher prices than modern-day MMOs definitely does not do DR justice.

More customers = more GMs. More GMs = more dev. More dev = more interesting experiences.
More of that, please.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Is 01/24/2014 08:09 PM CST
So why not enlighten us what the magic price is that makes people embrace a decades old text game? 1 dollar a month? 50 cents a month? I think the number you're looking for is zero $ a month. With hundreds of decent free muds to choose from most people are going to play the numerous lower quality muds for free vs extreme few of us who are willing to pay 15 to 40+ bucks a month for it. Your examples while interesting only apply if you know where to get free breakfast cereal or you've found a walmart where everything costs nothing. That's what DR is competing against. Free.

Meanwhile people complain that Simu isn't driving their product or pricing it correctly but we can't even get our own player base to vote once or twice a day on sites specifically designed to drive mud traffic.

Vote:
Re: Is 01/24/2014 08:23 PM CST
IMO most people gravitate toward free MUDs because they don't see it as a long-term investment. Most of the [free] MUDs I've tried out had my character get turned to 11 pretty quickly, and then it all became about rebirths so you could PvP better.

I'm not saying they're all like that, but my experience is that the idea of someone going "Yes, I want to play (and pay for!) this for a DECADE" is not something they'll do on a whim.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Is 01/26/2014 12:55 PM CST
i would love to see some actual price analysis and different pricing plans available for DR. I could get so many people playing if the start up was free, and a bunch would probably stay on if there were other pricing options.
Re: Is 01/26/2014 01:03 PM CST
I do wonder what would happen if free accounts were set up so you can't circle past 10, get skills past 100, etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Is 01/26/2014 01:14 PM CST
>>Teveshszat: I do wonder what would happen if free accounts were set up so you can't circle past 10, get skills past 100, etc.

There would have to be a way to prevent existing subscribers from creating free mule accounts.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Is 01/26/2014 01:19 PM CST
>>There would have to be a way to prevent existing subscribers from creating free mule accounts.

Similarly, a way to prevent them from functioning as mob spawn enhancers.

Re: Is 01/26/2014 02:23 PM CST
>I do wonder what would happen if free accounts were set up so you can't circle past 10, get skills past 100, etc.

I honestly think this would be one of the best things to happen to DR for community building. Putting a 100 rank or 10th circle cap on characters would probably be fine; I don't think people are really that strapped for storage, and a 10th circle character isn't going to help boost spawn anywhere tougher than beisswurms.
Re: Is 01/26/2014 02:38 PM CST
> I don't think people are really that strapped for storage

Oh they absolutely are, but I suspect a lot of people with mules are running them on spare premium slots anyway?

Still without knowing the real data, I think this would result in a potentially significant number of mule account closures unless there was an expiration date on your 'extended trial.' Is that a good thing? Dunno.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Is 01/26/2014 09:11 PM CST
<<There would have to be a way to prevent existing subscribers from creating free mule accounts.>>

And teach bots

Re: Is 01/26/2014 11:57 PM CST
>> magic price is that makes people embrace a decades old text game?

Yes, who needs critics when you've got forum trolls? You're basically saying that any change is pointless, and DR should continue down the road it's going, which is tantamount to "Let's just let it fade into the sunset."

I'm suggesting that they experiment instead of doing the same thing for 10 years. DR's price detracts a lot of potential players, including former. This is not speculation.

>> I think the number you're looking for is zero $ a month.

That's not the number I'm looking for. Your black-and-white approach to things is ridiculous - I guess DR's price was mandated by the guru of reason whom is to never be questioned.

>> That's what DR is competing against. Free.

So there's no way an MMO can ever be successful now that there are free-to-play alternatives? You've smashed your own point. MMOs are not a zero-sum game. Not everyone picks DR over WoW. Sometimes, they just pick DR. The difference between DR and every other MUD is that DR has real capital to re-invest back into the company.

>> free vs extreme

Extreme? What corner of the internet did you crawl out of? Most people who still play joined when the internet was young, when DR had exposure. They've been around forever and a day.
Not just that, but DR has at it's beck-and-call probably 2000+ people just by email contacts. Hell, they've got 1618 on Facebook alone. What about these people, who know the joy of DR, who might be enticed to come back with a price drop?

>> Meanwhile people complain that Simu isn't driving their product or pricing it correctly but we can't even get our own player base to vote once or twice a day on sites specifically designed to drive mud traffic.

I find it ironic that Aardwolf has 1k Facebook fans than DR, yet people keep insinuating that it should be winning the advertising game. DR's the king in quality, but it's not even the big fish in the small pond when it comes to popularity. DR is in a league of it's own when it comes to what it offers, Simu should be capitalizing on that

>> So why not enlighten us

Done.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Is 01/27/2014 03:10 AM CST

We've dropped to eighth. :(

Our out count rocks socks though.

Re: Is 02/15/2014 10:29 AM CST
I can understand reluctance on the part of the movers and shakers in reducing the price of DR to a point where it's more enticing (and more scaled with it's product) to new players. It's a gamble. You reduce immediate revenue in the hope that future revenue will increase.

That said, I don't think DR will ever take that gamble. The current player base just doesn't make it an attractive option. You have a few hundred hardcore players that pop on and off over the years and premium accounts etc. This revenue will last as long as that player base does, most likely. It allows them a certain amount of revenue security but it also puts an expiration date on DR itself.

There is no next generation for this game as it stands. People are used to more bang for their buck and a player is going to butt his head against the wall of $15 bucks a month and say, "Well, it's smaller, less developed, less balanced, less etc etc..." and forget all about it's positive attributes in the halogen light of "same price as wow?"

There will be a tipping point as the game loses more people than it gains and finally the people remaining will realize that it's just not worth it without the diversity of other players.

The price has to come down in order for the game to survive. There's no other way to say that. If the simutronics staff is going to ride the cash cow until it's dead that's their prerogative but that's what's going to happen.