Prev_page Previous 1
Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 12/31/2013 11:56 PM CST
Let's resolve to stay in the top five this year.

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/01/2014 01:46 AM CST

There's 230 people on in prime (and probably a good amount in TF and Plat), and only 6 people have voted so far.

Just sayin'.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/01/2014 10:04 AM CST
Is Vote!

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/01/2014 02:15 PM CST
>>Just sayin'.

If you are going to post stuff like this, post the link for us lazy folks so I can just click on it when I read the forums.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/01/2014 02:23 PM CST
>If you are going to post stuff like this, post the link for us lazy folks so I can just click on it when I read the forums.

Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/02/2014 07:40 AM CST
Judging by last month's totals, we were significantly behind 4th place by the end of the month. So we are stuck at 'best' at 4th place unless a good amount of other players that previously didn't vote, start voting. (Note, 6th place was closer to us, than we were to 4th place)

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/03/2014 04:09 PM CST
We're 20 votes behind 4th.

By the way, it seems that little image next to our name is gone. Didn't there used to be one? That little tiny thing next to the name...
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/03/2014 09:50 PM CST
Is vote!

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/09/2014 10:12 AM CST
What are the 'in/out' numbers indicating?
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/09/2014 09:15 PM CST
In is the amount of people that voted for DR on their site, Out is the amount of people that used the link to visit that games linked page, from their site.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/09/2014 09:38 PM CST
Ah, thanks
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/11/2014 10:10 AM CST
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/12/2014 09:56 AM CST
This is not a suggestion just an obscure question; is there such a thing as a piece of code that one can put on their computer that directs the computer to browse to a website like the vote for dr web page and then click the vote button on a particular schedule? ?

Obviously it exists but does anyone other than the nsa or anonymous know how to do that?
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/12/2014 02:10 PM CST
>>Darkevilwhatever: This is not a suggestion just an obscure question; is there such a thing as a piece of code that one can put on their computer that directs the computer to browse to a website like the vote for dr web page and then click the vote button on a particular schedule? ?

"You can create tools to make it easier to vote for your MUD with a single click, but you cannot automate the voting entirely. TMS is a traffic exchange. Games send their players here to vote and they gain exposure to other MUDs while here. Players coming from other MUDs to vote get some exposure to your MUD. Automaing the voting boosts your ranking unfairly and undermines the integrity of the entire system. Games found distributing tools to automate their player's voting will no longer be listed in the rankings." -- Top MUD Sites Rules

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/12/2014 02:35 PM CST
>>This is not a suggestion just an obscure question...

The implications of your obscure questions are getting a touch asinine.

If I develop a good reason to believe that our players are cheating the TMS system, I will personally report DR for cheating the rankings. If we cannot act in good faith we do not deserve any additional exposure in the MUD community.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/12/2014 02:46 PM CST
Not getting. Are. As a rule.

And read aloud. Not a suggestion. A curiosity.

Get it? Got it? Good.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/12/2014 02:57 PM CST
Exhale

It was a technology question. The tms example may have been an unfortunate distraction.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/12/2014 03:10 PM CST
> If we cannot act in good faith we do not deserve any additional exposure in the MUD community.

You mean like the other muds who spam in-game and offer in-game incentives to vote, and do everything short of say 'by logging in you just voted! Congrats!'?

>The tms example may have been an unfortunate distraction.

Do you honestly expect anyone to be stupid enough to believe that? Because in the wide world of things, they'd have to be.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/12/2014 03:52 PM CST
>>You mean like the other muds who spam in-game and offer in-game incentives to vote, and do everything short of say 'by logging in you just voted! Congrats!'?

Are any muds actually doing this? Looking at Aarwolf, their Flash client has a vote button, but that's it. Any game-wide benefits they give seem to be based on players collectively donating to the game, not voting at TMS.

Aarwolf also has an in-game tracker to show when you last voted, if you want an in-game reminder to vote again.

When you type IVOTED you get:

Thanks for helping Aarwolf by voting!
You will receive a reminder in around 13 hours.
Remember, you can vote at [url]

When you type it again before the timer expires, you get:

It has been only [time] since you last typed 'ivoted'
Use 'ivoted !' to override the timer and reset anyway.
Remember, you can vote at [url]

I mean, if anything, DR is just kinda notoriously reserved when it comes to promoting voting on TMS.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/12/2014 07:27 PM CST
I have approval to add a reminder for players asking for it voluntarily. Need to you know.. find time to code the thing up :/

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/12/2014 08:01 PM CST
I'd like anything I can get to help me out.

---
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/12/2014 08:10 PM CST
Frankly, I would love a prompt to vote whenever I log in, just some clicky link.

Of course, I'd also love to get rid of the COME WATCH OUR OTHER PRODUCT spam every time I log in too.

I supported it on kickstarter. Not my fault that failed, now I'm not interested in it anymore.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/12/2014 10:11 PM CST
Does Genie have persistent global variables and a system timer in seconds?

I tried writing a script in Yasse but the system seconds variable mentioned in the documentation isn't implemented.

If %totaltime (supposed to be total seconds since the beginning of the reference date) was implemented in Yasse, this script would prompt you to vote every 12 hours. If similar commands/variables exist for Genie, you could probably modify this script easily to work with that. Then you could set it to auto-run on startup.

set trigger on
action "I voted for DR" gosub I_Voted

ifexists vote_time goto loop_start

setglobalvariable vote_time 0

loop_start:
setvariable seconds_since_vote %totaltime
calculate seconds_since_vote sub $vote_time$

if $seconds_since_vote$ > 43200
boxmessage Vote for DR! http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html\n\n Enter "I voted for DR" to reset message timer.

pause 30

goto loop_start

I_Voted:
setglobalvariable vote_time %totaltime
return
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/13/2014 12:38 PM CST
>>u mean like the other muds who spam in-game and offer in-game incentives to vote, and do everything short of say 'by logging in you just voted! Congrats!'?

I looked at their sight and it doesn't appear you can auto-vote as the code to register the vote is dealt with server-side. The only way this could possibly be happening is if they have an insider that coded a hidden work around. (like a query string with a password that auto-votes for a particular game) But short of hacking their website there is no way to make an auto-vote link. You can only point to the page, where a click is required to vote.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/14/2014 10:16 PM CST
aardwulf or whatever the crap its called.... cheats.

I know it, you know it, we all know it.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/15/2014 06:21 PM CST

There are several muds that award in-game gifts for clicking the links to vote. They are typically trivial and the muds cannot verify that a vote was actually processed. There are many other voting sites around but only a half dozen or so that get any real traffic.

I am surprised mudding has not picked up in popularity among text gamers like the roguelikes and especially IF.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/15/2014 06:40 PM CST
>>There are several muds that award in-game gifts for clicking the links to vote.

I keep hearing that there are several muds cheating, but never how. I feel like it's always just a smokescreen for why DR is losing that blames everyone but DR.

The reason DR isn't doing better is because enough people who play DR just aren't voting. If DR had 120 players vote each day, it would be winning by over 200 votes right now. That's all there is to it.

>>I am surprised mudding has not picked up in popularity among text gamers like the roguelikes and especially IF.

The return of mobile roguelikes is because it's something that is short-term and plays well on a mobile device. MUDs don't tend to work out that well due to the amount of typing/scroll. It would also require a constant internet connection, which is spotty for those who take public transportation. Most modern roguelikes are also more visually upgraded than how older roguelikes looked, so it's not like people are explicitly playing them for the retro aspect of it (hell, the Diablo series is essentially a roguelike).

That said, the whole DR 3.0 thing and making the game more robust through crafts is one way to modernize it for current audiences. But you'd also have to have enough people who want a traditional MUD to join in. It might be interesting to see if you could reach the audience of 20 somethings and up who used to tabletop but now are too busy working to really have the time to sit down with local friends and play a game of whatever. I know the thing that made DR appealing to me in the late 90s was that I just didn't have a big group of people who could just agree to meet up at X and play D&D or whatever, but a few of us were able to occasionally hang out in DR and RP.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/15/2014 08:54 PM CST
>I keep hearing that there are several muds cheating, but never how. I feel like it's always just a smokescreen for why DR is losing that blames everyone but DR.

It's difficult to believe Aardvark keeps its spot without something less than sterling honesty, since it's never left that spot and has been secure by a fair margin.

Note to the pedantic: I don't care if it has, it's been there long enough and often enough to make my general point stand.

DR adding a hyperlink on login that requests you to go vote would be nice. Especially if a clickthrough gave you 1 scrip a day or 1 simucoin or whatever your choice of currency that's worth actually giving out, per voting period.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/15/2014 09:06 PM CST
>>Especially if a clickthrough gave you 1 scrip a day or 1 simucoin or whatever your choice of currency that's worth actually giving out, per voting period.

This would explicitly be against the rules. You can't specifically reward people for voting.

Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/15/2014 09:53 PM CST
I wasn't serious that they are cheating, but in the same breath it's clear they are cheating bastards.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/16/2014 08:56 AM CST
>>It's difficult to believe Aardvark keeps its spot without something less than sterling honesty

It certainly is quite odd. I think someone mentioned they were on right when the counts rolled over for a month and Aardwolf got a whole bunch of clicks right away. Someone test that end of the month if anyone remembers - just for curiosity sake. I mean, you can see how DR fluctuates votes back and forth, like we went down to 7th and up to 5th and is dependent on a group of players. Aardwolf is just top, consistently with X votes each month, statistically isn't that odd?

The other question, is that according the charts on Top Mud Sites, Aardwolf has a larger population than DR now. Not by a lot, but larger. But I know a ton of people with multiple accounts in DR, so I know DRs population is skewed so it's actually less players than what is reported. Does Aardwolf have the same multiple account thing going on? If not, than they are solidly in the 'more players' lead.

Just some thoughts.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/16/2014 09:43 AM CST
From my time evaluating Aardwolf I didn't notice a higher population than DR, not even close. Maybe 150 people online peak. Could have changed, but the owner published a graph of subs at one point and it was dropping quite steadily over time. Hard to say...

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/16/2014 10:16 AM CST
>>From my time evaluating Aardwolf I didn't notice a higher population than DR, not even close. Maybe 150 people online peak. Could have changed, but the owner published a graph of subs at one point and it was dropping quite steadily over time. Hard to say...

Yeah they were definitely lower for almost the entire life-time of the games - it's only in the past couple years I think - Here's the graphs I was looking at. I have no idea how accurate they are of course.

The graphs are neat to look at:

http://mudstats.com/World/DragonRealms

http://mudstats.com/World/AardwolfMUD

You can see the players connected, currently saying 257 for DR and 333 for Aardwolf.

If you click the charts tab you can see a graph over time of the population of the two. In Summer 2011 is when Aardwolf seemed to take off, while DR had it's usual slow slow decline.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/16/2014 10:31 AM CST

Aardwolf is also free, so multiple accounts are likely the norm.
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/16/2014 10:31 AM CST
dont forget to vote

Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/16/2014 10:33 AM CST
So I just changed my signature to the item below. If we could get more people to change their sigs it would be a clickable ad for people whenever and wherever you post in the forums. Feel free to cut and past my signature below and add it to your DR signature. To change your signature, click on profile and paste the following line into the DR box. Just an idea that might help.

Don't forget to vote:

Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/16/2014 04:36 PM CST
>>Aardwolf is just top, consistently with X votes each month, statistically isn't that odd?

It would certainly be suspect if they had the exact same number of votes per month. But I doubt they do.

Them being on top each month isn't suspect in and of itself. It could just mean that they have a) more players, b) some strategy that regularly engages a greater percentage of the player-base to vote, or a combination of (a) and (b).

Just because we can't figure out what their strategy is or how it works so well for them does not mean that they are cheating.

Also just as an aside, I've been managing to vote about once per day lately, in large part thanks to vote reminders in posts and signatures. If I had a 12 hour in-game reminder I might do better -- but then again after a while I might become annoyed with it. Still, I hope it comes around (with a toggle option) when the GMs have time for it.

P.S. If you're going to do a signature, please put a line break above it. Use four dashes (-) to make one.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/16/2014 06:57 PM CST
>>It could just mean that they have a) more players, b) some strategy that regularly engages

>>Just because we can't figure out what their strategy is or how it works so well for them does not mean that they are cheating.

Yeah I think we do know at least partially. They actually do have more accounts logged in, although as someone else pointed out that could be because it is free, therefore people would be more likely to do multiple accounts I'd assume. And they do have a strategy that engages regularly spelled out on the link below. It changes the actual status prompt to "[Time To Vote!]" until the player enters the command "ivoted", then a 13 hour timer starts and once that is up, it changes the prompt again.

http://www.aardwolf.com/wiki/index.php/Ivoted/Ivoted

Codiax.
Vote: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/16/2014 08:18 PM CST
You probably just got them 20 votes posting that here hahaha
(I didn't click it but if it votes for Aardwolf then it prob will get clicked by some here)

[00:15] Chatter[Uzmam] Damian just wants to beat up dancers, what a bully
[00:15] Chatter[Morpion] Wait for them outside the club at 3 am?
[00:15] Chatter[Damian] i enjoy making them scream with pure terror
Re: Top Mud Sites: New Month, New Year! 01/16/2014 11:06 PM CST
It's not a vote link, and like I said previously, you can't vote by clicking a link.

Codiax.
Vote: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Prev_page Previous 1