Hunting Preserve 09/19/2008 01:45 AM CDT
I've always liked this area as an solid alternative after gobs. It's unfortunate that more people don't hunt here, but I can see why. I think the area has a lot of potential, and I think it could be set up differently to make it more appealing.

There are four areas that I see:

1. The grassy fields area. I think this should be the swarmy area. Lots of rooms, but lots of critters and a great central room to really get things moving. Lots of Inkhornes and especially burrowers.

2. The firepit area (NW corner). I see this as a smaller, more controlled area with more grubs and burrowers, no Inkhornes or sprites.

3. The willow marsh/copse area. There should definitely be more of the unarmed water sprites here along with burrowers and grubs. No inkhornes. Another swarmy area with lots of room connections for faster spawn.

4. The tunnel/Manor area. More grubs in the tunnels. I think the Manor should be made into an undead hunting area that's in the tortured soul range or higher. It has so much potential to be a really creepy area that is also functional! Make the front door pickable and it could really be a viable hunting ground.

All in all, I really like the area, especially the ambiance of the whole place. I think it could be a great hunting area as well with a few minor tweaks. Kudos to the GM who wrote the area - I find myself exploring it over and over again!

GENT
Re: Hunting Preserve 09/19/2008 02:41 AM CDT
I really like all of these ideas.

Just the other day I had one of my little characters take a stroll through the preserve for old time's sake and realized I'd completely forgotten how cool it was. It's always felt like one of the better written, very 'atmospheric' areas of the game to me, and that still held up. I'd love to see it get some new lovin'.

"Now won't you tell me if you like what you've just heard?
And if you think the point I'm driving at absurd,
Well there's no need to tell me how or tell me why,
But I need to know the reason not to try."
- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Hunting Preserve 09/19/2008 10:06 AM CDT
<<I've always liked this area as an solid alternative after gobs. It's unfortunate that more people don't hunt here, but I can see why. I think the area has a lot of potential, and I think it could be set up differently to make it more appealing.>>

How interesting that you mention this specific area.

Dartenian and I were just talking about this yesterday or the day before.

Solomon

"The probability of someone making a mathematical formulation on a non-mathematical subject is inversely proportional to its usefulness."
- Brust's Law of Mathematical Formulations

http://www.myspace.com/simutronicsdragonrealms
Re: Hunting Preserve 09/19/2008 07:02 PM CDT
>>Dartenian and I were just talking about this yesterday or the day before.

That is really cool!

By the way, does anyone know if there are any in-game sources of information about the events surrounding the fall of the Manor's owners?

Thanks
GENT
Re: Hunting Preserve 09/20/2008 01:38 AM CDT
I think there might be a book tucked away in a very unusual spot, but beyond that I think the whole area was meant to be a self-contained bit of trivia (interesting, but not really mentioned anywhere else).

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Hunting Preserve 05/16/2011 04:16 PM CDT
This place is premium only right?
Re: Hunting Preserve 05/16/2011 07:12 PM CDT
No, the Preserve is open to anyone.

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Hunting Preserve 05/22/2011 03:15 PM CDT
It can be a little tricky to get in and out of, though. Still, I enjoyed it a lot!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Hunting Preserve 10/27/2013 12:30 PM CDT
Apologies for the thread necromancy, but this place is pretty great. I know it doesn't see much use, but people should really consider, on their young clerics or paladin, taking a trip to visit the goblin zombies and such. Even a thief might want to be here, though I'm sure it's hard to backstab the undead, because the goblin zombies are an easy way to get somewhat-tougher-than-goblin boxes. I'm not sure exactly how well they train versus goblin boxes, but whenever I go to get them, they consistently seem harder by a few steps, with the goblin zombies not being that much more difficult to gack, skill-wise, if at all. Likewise, that's just one part of the entire place. Want to take some potshots at something to test your latest crossbow? Why not use the deer? Et cetera.

---
"Tapeabarala asu chakapar oseane Gerenshuge sinuar sedea."