Underrated: Wolf Spiders 04/24/2008 07:51 AM CDT
Don't swarm, yet teach MO and 1 ROCKS Evasion, Armor, Parry, Shield and weapons from 50-90.

The whole time I fought them in Riverhaven (which is nice b/c Orges rock backstab and drop boxes) I only ran into one person.

In Theren's Keep? Only me and their you could get two, three at a time which did wonders for XP.

By the time you're slowing down from them, you're ready for Vines and Creepers.

PS: Be warned for the Theren Keep though. No hiding. No Missle Range and NO retreating/Fleeing. Dangerous area that I wouldn't go into unless I had about 75 across the board in defenses.

"Failure is not our only punishment for laziness: there is also the success of others."
Jules Renard
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 04/24/2008 03:32 PM CDT
>>and NO retreating/Fleeing.

This is only in the Breech Tunnels themselves. A halfling or gnome might be able to, but the rest of us have to do like Solid Snake and shimmy into a rathole on our hands and knees. In the other, wider places, retreating is perfectly able to be accomplished.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 05/13/2008 02:34 PM CDT
Agreed. Wolf Spiders got a place in my heart when i hunted ogres in haven... at first i had to run from them but then, gradually as my skill increased i start learning well from them. Spent hours with skills flying and chasing the same spider all along. Everytime i found a spider i'd dance with it and kill any ogres that arrived and then chase the spider when it retreated and moved to another room. They made my jump between beisswurms and vines :)

And i love my wolf spider jugglies
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/20/2008 10:40 AM CDT
There's a jump between beisswurms and vines? :-P

I actually would consider hunting morahs if I wasn't worried about how I'd do against the marauders that wander in from time to time... so technically I'm training to be able to stand to marauders so that I can hunt the ridiculously awsome and cool vines/creepers. Blood wolves at neer's hummock are decent for this... I try to avoid non-swarmy critters, as my MO is my highest skill and I don't intend to change that, and these swarm just barely enough for me to be happy. I would consider trying sand sprites if they weren't all the way in Ratha...

I suppose part of why I don't think I'll need spiders to get to the next swarm is because I use zerks regularly... dangerous, but very rewarding.

Every broken enemy will know
That their opponent had to be invincible;
Take a last look around while you're alive,
I'm an indestructible Master of War!
~Disturbed: Indestructible, unofficial Barbarian Theme Song. YouTube it.
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/20/2008 11:00 AM CDT
<<technically I'm training to be able to stand to marauders>>
Personally, I like this aspect. Why have another zero risk eel style room. Adds spice.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/20/2008 01:02 PM CDT
Sand Sprites would serve you much better than wolves, and once you can zerk down in the dark area where they REALLY swarm, you'll be more than ready for Maras.
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/20/2008 01:36 PM CDT
>>Sand Sprites would serve you much better than wolves, and once you can zerk down in the dark area where they REALLY swarm, you'll be more than ready for Maras.

Any recommendations on a light source for the non-magically inclined?

~Zaktraw
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/20/2008 01:37 PM CDT
This is exactly what I did and it worked like a champ. I did spend a little time in silver leucros, but they weren't consistent enough with the gen for me, so I went to vines/creepers and had no trouble surviving.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/20/2008 01:44 PM CDT
I had my barbarian down in the dark there and never needed a light source. You can tell when there's a sprite at melee, cuz you will "see" it attack you. Kill it, and when you search it, you will also "see" what they dropped, so you can pick it up. You need to take a look at a map though and make sure you know how to get out of there, but otherwise... light source not needed. Enjoy.

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/20/2008 02:57 PM CDT
Cofirmed, spent a long time down there between hunting and backtraining things, and never, every used a light source.
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/20/2008 03:02 PM CDT
Okay, update... those blood wolves just weren't swarmy enough. Went to vines and have thus far avoided marauders. Helps that they lock my... everything in about 30 seconds flat.

Yay vines!

Considering the tiny amount of time I spent in trolls, I'd like to modify my question... there's a step in between reavers and vines? :-P

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/21/2008 09:03 AM CDT
there's a step in between reavers and vines?>>>>>>>

Yes, as I stated, they are called sand sprites. Blood wolves bite for training Multi (when starting them), sand spirtes hit lighter, and swarm more...

WOnderful, wonderful creatures.
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/21/2008 11:48 AM CDT
That was actually a joke... and I'd love to train with the sprites if they weren't all the way in Ratha :(

For now I will accept the occasional really crappy mindstate that occurs when vines/creepers swarm and lock all my combats in 30 seconds, then a marauder jumps in and we miss each other for five minutes until he retreats.

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/21/2008 02:28 PM CDT
>>I'd love to train with the sprites if they weren't all the way in Ratha<<

I submit that Ratha is closer than Vines and creepers if you're starting from crossing. Timing is everything, but I still believe if I catch the Skirr at the right time that I can be in Ratha before you can be in Theren, unless you have the survival skills to be able to swim the Faldesu and Jantspyre Rivers.

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/22/2008 07:05 PM CDT
Yep, the ride is actually quite short, it is just catch the boat at the right time (to ratha that is).
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/23/2008 02:14 AM CDT
agreed. don't be a wuss, bite the bullet, with around 100 in defenses I doubt theres anywhere the senior players of the game would be besides sprites, and thats just cause we know and they're awesome.
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/23/2008 10:32 AM CDT
>>with around 100 in defenses I doubt theres anywhere the senior players of the game would be besides sprites, and thats just cause we know and they're awesome.

At 101 shield/armor as an Armor Secondary, I stopped learning anything from sprites at all, other than weapons, multi, very little evasion, and lots of disarm/lp.

~Zaktraw
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/25/2008 11:14 AM CDT
>>if I catch the Skirr at the right time that I can be in Ratha before you can be in Theren, unless you have the survival skills to be able to swim the Faldesu and Jantspyre Rivers.

Way better chance of a moongate from the south side of the Faldesu and from Haven to Lang. If I can catch someone with a couple gates, it takes me less than 5 minutes plus a plat tip to the Moon Mage. Not to mention the odds of you catching the skirr when it's in port suck.

I stopped learning anything from sprites at 83 ranks pretty much straight across the board. With 10 on me, they moved my MO at 95 ranks, but not super quickly. I went to vines/creepers at 85 defense, 90 weapon ranks and just found a different room when a mara came in. At 95 ranks I could hold my own 1 on 1 with a mara, and at 102 I could kill them.

I'm a Barb, but I'd say 105 to kill the maras 1 on 1 for other people would be fine.

[Alisyn] "Drevid i think part of your scimitar is still in my abdomen"

[Ohuzewicasta] "Nah, he's just happy to see you"
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/25/2008 11:19 AM CDT
105 shield/leather, 84 evasion, 90 MO and 68 weapon skill is enough for a Trader to take on two marauders and a bunch of vines at a time, so it should be cake for the rest of you. Just bring herbs.

~Zaktraw
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/25/2008 03:54 PM CDT
Zaktraw I hate to say this, but there is NO way. I can see the 105 shield blocking them often enough, especially with 18+ reflex if you have it, but I don't see the 68 weapon ranks hitting. Ever. I'd say you last ~2 minutes in that situation. If you last more, I am doing something wrong, that's for sure.

FTR:

Shield dominates vs. critters with weapons. I think that's why you can "take" the maras...

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/25/2008 04:01 PM CDT
I think 68 might be a tad too low to believe, but the principle is definitely there. I was having real difficulties hitting bone wolves with 40ish in my main weapon skill my first time through there but once I got my defenses up to 50-70, I was able to decimate them with low 30s and upper 20s in skill using my backtraining weapons.

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/25/2008 10:48 PM CDT
At circle 16 with low stats and 74/73 2HE/Brawling Marauders are a pain to kill, regardless of what zerk/dance I use. It's doable, but not easily.

On the other hand, I've been able to easily 'handle' two or three marauders until the critter retreating kicks in ever since I first stepped into Ker'Leor several circles ago. I think their defenses may be in need of a tiny downtweak, or something... they wreck my mindstate by teaching defenses too much since I can't kill 'em. It's getting better with the higher ranks... enough that I can kill them with brawling, but not the 2HE, curiously enough.

Just a thought.

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/26/2008 07:25 AM CDT
>I can kill them with brawling, but not the 2HE, curiously enough.

What's the balance rating on your 2HE?

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, Ranger
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/26/2008 10:07 AM CDT
poor, which I suspect is the culprit. When it does hit, however, it tends to hit very hard.

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/26/2008 03:48 PM CDT
>>sword balance

If it's dismally balanced, that is definitely your problem. When I switched from claymore (dismal) to bastie (fairly) it made all the difference in the world.

>>I was able to decimate them with low...

Yes, and I'm sure your agility increased from the time you were fighting bone wolves at level, and the time you were backtraining. This is why I fight vines/creepers with 20 ranks in a weapon.

>>killing maras

Brawling would make the maras easier if you're shoving them onto their backs or knees. Unfortunately, I need to train brawling a little higher.

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/26/2008 10:34 PM CDT
Yeah, shoving is good. It's like Roar Anger, just with a bug that makes it unusable if you outclass your opponent (FIX BRAWLING! :P)

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/27/2008 12:24 PM CDT
>>Zaktraw I hate to say this, but there is NO way. I can see the 105 shield blocking them often enough, especially with 18+ reflex if you have it, but I don't see the 68 weapon ranks hitting. Ever. I'd say you last ~2 minutes in that situation. If you last more, I am doing something wrong, that's for sure.

Pikes: 69 27.69% clear
Shield Usage: 105 41% clear
Leather Armor: 104 75% clear
Evasion: 84 08.65% clear
Parry Ability: 49 71.67% clear
Multi Opponent: 90 23.64% clear
Strength : 20
Reflex : 20
Agility : 20
Stamina: 20

For 1 Marauder + vines, I use:
Evasion 100%
Shield 80%
Parry 2% (I like free ranks from the vines)

When I had 2 Marauders, I used:
Shield 100%
Evasion 82%

Weapon:

A short-hafted hunthsleg adorned with green and brown spidersilk streamers is a heavy thrown and pike melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
moderate puncture damage
low slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the hunthsleg is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the short-hafted hunthsleg is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.

You estimate that the short-hafted hunthsleg weighs around 20 stones.
You are certain that the short-hafted hunthsleg is worth exactly 10000 kronars, 8000 lirums, or 7216 dokoras.

If you still doubt it, I can try to dig up the log when I get home this evening, it's on my desktop.

~Zaktraw
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/27/2008 12:31 PM CDT
Oh, and I kill vines with my LE, ME, HE, 2HE. All of which skills were sub-25 when I started doing it, never miss.

A slender falcated dagger with a balanced pommel is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.

poor puncture damage
fair slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the dagger is reasonably balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the falcated dagger is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The falcated dagger is made with metal.
You think it is likely that the falcated dagger weighs about 15 stones.
You are certain that the falcated dagger is worth exactly 12500 kronars, 10000 lirums, or 9020 dokoras.

~~~

A scimitar is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.

poor puncture damage
heavy slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the scimitar is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the scimitar is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

The scimitar is made with metal.
You are certain that the scimitar weighs about 26 stones.
You are certain that the scimitar is worth exactly 525 kronars, 420 lirums, or 378 dokoras.

~~~

A bastard sword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
great slice damage
poor impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

A bastard sword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sword is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The bastard sword is made with metal.
You are confident that the bastard sword weighs about 27 stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 12500 kronars, 10000 lirums, or 9020 dokoras.

Traders are OP.

~Zaktraw
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/27/2008 12:56 PM CDT
The 20 agility is probably what's doing it. I can land hits on maras with ~62 ranks (20 agil). Thought you might have less agility.

/shrugs

Not too shabby for a Trader ;)

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/27/2008 12:57 PM CDT
I have 18 str/agi, 16 ref/stam, and 75 ranks of 2HE, and my reasonably balanced bastie has difficulty hitting; my poorly balanced greatsword rarely makes contact at all. Brawling at the same ranks can get good hits and eventually move up to solid as they get weaker, and finally kill them, with footwraps and plate gauntlets.

Either two points in agility makes a huge difference in to-hit, or you're killing 'em very slowly. It's possible, but hard.

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/27/2008 01:22 PM CDT
>>Not too shabby for a Trader ;)

Oh, they'll all still be 20 when I hit 100th+.

~Zaktraw
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/27/2008 01:25 PM CDT
<<ZAKTRAW>>
How is your Pike mileage going?

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/27/2008 01:31 PM CDT
>>How is your Pike mileage going?

No complaints, really. It's nice to be different. I've been using a dodge jab thrust lunge rotation that keeps me incredibly balanced, etc. It still kills slower than edges, but I also use a 20 stone mod-puncture hunthsleg, so that's to be expected. If I had the strength, I'd try a bigger one, but that's not going to happen for a long time.

~Zaktraw
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/27/2008 02:08 PM CDT
>>Either two points in agility makes a huge difference in to-hit, or you're killing 'em very slowly.

I noticed a gigantic difference in 2 points of agility. Not to mention my strength was a little beefed for my circle (Barb) so when I did hit, it was harder.

>>Zaktraw

Lol.

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/27/2008 06:07 PM CDT
Well, that's good news... since I intended to boost my agility and strength up again next circle, until they hit 20, before working on the rest.

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/29/2008 05:45 AM CDT
>Any recommendations on a light source for the non-magically inclined?

I used a torch and flint for a very long time -- the swarms down in the sprite's basement is just too good to pass up at less than 100 ranks.

Regards,

Qivalon~
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/29/2008 08:40 PM CDT
Can you just light the torch and drop it or do you need to hold the torch in one hand? I'm a 2 handed weapon user.

Dierik

My wife: How do you win Dragon Realms?
Me: It's not a game you win or lose. It's just fun to play.
My wife: It's stupid to play a game that you can't win.
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/30/2008 02:40 AM CDT
last I remember, you can drop it in your room and you will still be able to see.

also, if money isn't an issue, have a moon mage make you a few of those things that follow you and provide light.

they're pretty slick...

-saul the gnome
Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 06/30/2008 03:27 PM CDT
Just remember that you can't light a torch in a dark room. If you are down in there and it goes out, you are going to be "blind" until you get back out or you move into someone else's room that has a torch going.

Re: Underrated: Wolf Spiders 07/12/2008 05:22 PM CDT
<<Can you just light the torch and drop it or do you need to hold the torch in one hand? I'm a 2 handed weapon user.>>

<<Just remember that you can't light a torch in a dark room. If you are down in there and it goes out, you are going to be "blind" until you get back out or you move into someone else's room that has a torch going.>>

IIRC you'll also get messaging along the lines of sputtering before the torch goes out completely - giving you time to light a new one.

I was always a fan of oil lanterns if you're planning on hunting in dark areas. Carrying extra oil weighs less than a load of torches. Lanterns also last longer than torches if I remember correctly.