Highly underrated: Grave worms 07/13/2007 10:43 PM CDT
I didn't know there was a whole topic for over and underrated creatures. I think grave worms outside of the Leth manor is a REALLY underrated area. First, they teach defenses from 90 to at least 120 - I say at least because this is where I am, and I lock very quickly still - including MO. They don't land too hard of hits, so even if you do manage to get in trouble, if you can rub an inviso ring/roar/whatever else to get away, you aren't going to get critted.

They teach weapons from 60 to I'm going to say 100, 100 solid. Their carapace slivers are LIGHT. By the time I have light burden (this takes about half an hour) I've got over a plats worth of slivers.

Also, bone wolves wander around the area, so lower weapons can be trained - 40-50. Lastly, there's good Elemental mana.

I've been here a month and have literally seen one other hunter - once. I can't imagine what this area would be like if there were three folks in here, but I bet weapons could be learned well into 110.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Highly underrated: Grave worms 07/14/2007 09:13 AM CDT
Do you just pawn the slivers, Ax?
Re: Highly underrated: Grave worms 07/14/2007 09:28 AM CDT
No no, they're skins, you can throw them in a bundle. I actually filled a whole bundle yesterday for the first time ever. Took me 45 minutes and I got 1.2 plats for it - which I don't think is bad for that level of natural creature.

Re: Highly underrated: Grave worms 07/16/2007 08:59 AM CDT
Well, I might have to find you IG to get you to show me the area. I'm just short of hunting that area and it sounds good to me. That is, if you wouldn't mind. :)
Re: Highly underrated: Grave worms 07/16/2007 09:15 AM CDT
I definitely don't mind, and if I'm going to squeeze the area for the last little bit of experience I can, I'm going to need a few extra hunters in there! I am around often, so if you've got a k gweth, when you get down to Leth just gweth for me a few times and I ought to answer unless I'm soaking somewhere.

One thing I'll mention - if you wear leather armor, this might not be the best hunting area. They do land light hits often, but that's in forged chains and plates.

Re: Highly underrated: Grave worms 07/16/2007 09:23 AM CDT
Yeah, but that's only until I can muster up the time to devote to making some plates/wires for Redarch to work on for me. Until then, I'm confined to being a board monkey.

Paladin with mostly metal on.
Re: Highly underrated: Grave worms 07/16/2007 08:28 PM CDT
I gave those a run. Didn't teach much weapons, but taught defenses quite well in early 100s. The slivers were quite nice, too. The only problem is getting into the area - I still haven't figured out the sphere puzzle and thus take the backdoor ::grumble::
Re: Highly underrated: Grave worms 07/16/2007 08:55 PM CDT
sphere puzzle takes 3 magic types I have heard, so digging the grave is still the easiest to do solo
Re: Highly underrated: Grave worms 07/16/2007 09:07 PM CDT
By early 100s, Secondgate means, or at least should mean, up to 130. I can lock parry and shield in about 2 minutes with 27 intelligence.

The soft cap on weapons seems to be in the neighborhood of 100, but you can hit with 60 ranks, so it's a pretty nice little span.

Again, a very nice little area. Running through germish'den isn't so bad either. Although it is a little scary sometimes when someone's hunting in there and you run through a room with 3 or 4 critters.

Re: Highly underrated: Grave worms 07/17/2007 12:11 AM CDT
Yeah, I mean 120s for defense. I start getting hit with 3+ on me. Not as softly as the sweet sweet vines in Theren, but nothing hard, either. Pretty nice area, I agree. Even moved my skinning at 102 to muddled.
Re: Highly underrated: Grave worms 07/17/2007 06:53 AM CDT
I only have 97 skinning and I can't move it at all in grave worms. When I remember, I try to use my bastard sword instead of my skinning knife, which at least got me to thoughtful. But an extra five ranks sure would be nice!

Re: Highly underrated: Grave worms 07/17/2007 01:33 PM CDT
I was skinning with a throwing spear, and a HE weapon. If I had an edged 2HB it'd be even better, hehe.