Prev_page Previous 1
Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/03/2005 08:04 PM CDT
With 210 shield my paladin broke a shield in steeds, while backtraining, and hes using the mod strength armworn tower shield. With Elec, they effectively snapped those nice protection small armworn shields in 3 hits, he has over 160 shield. For a low-mid ranged creature it seems to me they hit a bit hard. Any chance you could tweak that down a bit or at least look into it. They break stuff easier than gargs. For something I can kill with my 18 weapon in a few hits, it seems a bit off that they can snap through my primary form of defense while hunting there. I appreciate any response. Back to making glue...

~Blood Wraith Elec, Elitist of Elanthia, an Elven Face Shooter

~I WILL RUIN THIS HOUSE WITH MY ANGER!

"Even In Your Darkest, Most Hellish Nightmares You Are Safe. But In Reality, Night Always Falls, And There In The Shadows, I Wait."
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/03/2005 09:41 PM CDT
Horses usually weight in somewhere around a ton. Compress that into a small, rock hard surface a bit bigger than twice your hand. That's fun damage. I wouldn't say it would do more than getting hit by a (literal) ton of granite, but still heavy.

Do they break parry blades as often as shields?

There will be options to pick from. There will rarely be a case where the NPC says, "Here is your sword, go have fun."
-Ssra
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/03/2005 10:22 PM CDT
Well, I'd like to think that the fact they don't teach me armor or evasion would mean that I would have enough to deter an attack of that magnitude. Something about having the skill to use the armor, or evade better just from sheer knowledge about the item. I don't care that they damage things. Not at all. Its the magnitude to which they damage them. I can go to gargs and sit there all day and never have a thing of mine touched. I can sit in steeds for days straight and use all of the 18 different weapons I work and never have a single one damaged. But if I get hit once while holding that shield, even though I have more than enough to not learn there anymore, I will undoubtably break it in just a few hits. I could carry a larger shield, but being armor tert, hinderance is a pain. It's not like I have a spell to cast and lose my hinderence.

On a side note, these horses are undead, I would assume that they are more gaunt/decayed than a well groomed/fed draft horse. Yeah yeah assumptions are the mother I know. But still... BLARGLE

"Even In Your Darkest, Most Hellish Nightmares You Are Safe. But In Reality, Night Always Falls, And There In The Shadows, I Wait."
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/03/2005 10:43 PM CDT
Not undead, cursed if I recall correctly. Fine difference, but feh. They very well might have a good bonus to strength, and strength applied to blunts is evil.

I'm not saying the damage is warranted, since you have enough ranks to not learn from them, but it is explainable.

There will be options to pick from. There will rarely be a case where the NPC says, "Here is your sword, go have fun."
-Ssra
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 01:13 AM CDT
To a point, but thats a bit of realism that kills a lot of the fun from killing them. Yeah, they are big, they are war horses, but honestly if I can dance with 5 DS theres no reason 1 steed should beat my shield to crap in 3 hits and snap it in two.

Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 08:40 AM CDT
Yeah, same thing was happening to me in Dark Fiends. Now I'm to the point that I just go in there and not train my shield.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros and Makona
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 10:49 AM CDT
Welcome to the joys of undead?

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 03:09 PM CDT
You are entirely missing the point. Its not a matter of them being undead. They don't TEACH ME. Even my paladin who outclasses them in every single skill he trains broke a shield here. Its a mess and stupid that you have to have a shield thats well constructed to not worry about having it broke. But if I go to gargs, which are another big weapon/armor breaker they can't touch it.

Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 03:57 PM CDT
No. We are not missing the point. I have, if you pull your head out of the sand, been agreeing with you that the damage was excessive. I have personally attempted to point out both IG and RL reasons the horses might be doing excessive damage, but you seem more intent on being upset.

Try this: stage your shield skill down to 79-70%: often you are blocking 'too much' when this sort of damage occurs, and scaling down will put less stress on the shield.

Or, perhaps, and this might be difficult, take disposable shields. Reavers are excellent providers, as are kobolds (fallow fields). If you're as high above them as you say, a target shield should be more than enough to not get hit.

-Ssra
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 04:51 PM CDT
>>But if I go to gargs, which are another big weapon/armor breaker they can't touch it.

So steeds hit equipment harder. I wasn't aware that gargoyles were defined as the upper limit.

Steeds are undead. Undead do this all the time - either they're hitting equipment like a truck, or they're hitting the character like one (or both!) Nothing to see here.

Syralon
Cleric of Ushnish
"Don't underestimate Santa. He's got awesome lock picking skills!"
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 04:53 PM CDT
I use a target shield with elec, he has more than enough to not learn there. He is stanced evasion to 100, shield to 80, and when swarmed they break through the evasion and hit his shield, thus damaging it. Stancing it down further would only get me hit in those multi situations. I know HOW to train. That is not the issue. I don't mind swarms, I prefer them, I usually train with 1-7 critters in my room at any given time. I tend to only hunt things that swarm/hit hard. I like the challenge. Again, I know HOW to train, thats not the problem. The problem is, if these aren't going to to train, then they need to be less lethal at level. The problem is that they do an inordinate amount of armor damage for thier level. End of discussion.

Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 05:19 PM CDT
>Again, I know HOW to train

That's nice. Do you want a cookie? I was not, and I'm going to repeat myself for clarity, not telling you how to train. I was telling you how to prevent shield damage. Someone else can explain the exact logic behind what I described, but it works. As I said, you seem to be more bent on being upset and crying than listening to anyone point out what's going on and provide workable solutions or reasons for the existance of such situations.

On a side note, if they are overwhelming you enough to break through your evasion and force you to shield block, you are learning something from them, I would hope, as they are proving to be 'better' than your defense.

-Ssra
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 06:07 PM CDT
>>The problem is, if these aren't going to to train, then they need to be less lethal at level. The problem is that they do an inordinate amount of armor damage for thier level. End of discussion.

And, again, this is pretty much standard for the undead.

Syralon
Cleric of Ushnish
"Don't underestimate Santa. He's got awesome lock picking skills!"
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 07:10 PM CDT
Krooner,
You really are either just not reading my posts, or just don't get it. It's not about crying. I know how to prevent shield damage normally. I've never broken anything in my 6 years of gaming here before now. They can't touch me 1 on 1, or even 3 on 1. I hunt with someone else to keep swarms higher. Spawn rates stay pretty consistant. Not to mention steeds swarm normally from the masses of zombie traders cycling through the area. I am forced to keep large numbers of them around because I go through them so quick. I train the last 5 of my 18 weapons in there. They only break through my defense when a large swarm hits (meaning about 7) and they enough make it to melee to make my multi trip. Those numbers are enough to get through defenses hundreds of ranks out of a steeds league. Despite your various methods for keeping shields intact, they are pointless here. Not to be rude, but I KNOW what the situations are here because I am creating them to impose different situations in my training. The whole point of this is that even though I outclass them, they bust up shields a bit too easy. It has nothing to do with anything else. I wasn't crying that they break shields, I could care less that they do because it makes sense. I think its stupid that if they don't teach me anything but last few low weapons when I get hoards of them on me, they just bust right through like a shield is nothing. It's not that your advice was bad. It was just that its pointless for me. It serves me in no way. So, unless you specifically can provide a reason why the steeds tear through shields so easily in my situations, or can fix it yourself, I'd appreciate it if you left it to the person the post was directed to. Thank you.

Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 07:36 PM CDT
>So, unless you specifically can provide a reason why the steeds tear through shields so easily in my situations

See all of my posts, and Syralons.

>can fix it yourself

See suggestion for stancing shield down a few points.

>I'd appreciate it if you left it to the person the post was directed to

This is a general discussion forums. If you wish to communicate with a GM directly, send him an email. Furthermore, this is the wrong folder for such a discussion, as this was and still is a complaint.

I am reading and understanding your posts. I am trying my best to explain, as you have asked repeatedly, what, to the best of my knowledge, is happening in the game. You refuse to accept this, saying simply 'it should work X way'.

I will say this again, and ask that you try it: stance your shield down to 75% instead of 80 (or if you are using 100 switch to 100 evasion and 80 shield). Try it. I have seen it recomended for years. I cannot remember the reasoning offhand, or I would supply it.

-Ssra
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 08:07 PM CDT
Stancing my defense down farther would get me killed with 7 steeds on me not to mention would still partially block.

And you still have only posted things that work in a normal hunting enviroment/situation. Nothing you have said is workable or even smart to do in multi hoards like this. I don't mind how the steeds normally operate. Thats fine. They are good and ok, and life is a happy place. I am dealing with more multi situations that multiply thier shield breaking abilities like mad. Does this make sense now?

Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 08:22 PM CDT
You know what? You don't want help. You just want to complaign. Rather than follow any advice or discuss this, you have simply repeated yourself over and over and told me my reasons weren't the way you want it to be, and you refuse to so much as attempt any suggested solution. Here's one then, and I think it'll really help. Get out. Go hunt something else. Simple.

-Ssra
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 08:40 PM CDT
I have been in steeds this entire time today. I have tried your "simple solution" and it doesn't work in multi situations like this. Which would be the purpose of all this in the first place. Thank you for the help, but it does no good because this is not the normal situation. I only get hit worse when stancing shield down farther. If this, yet again, is not clear enough I apologize. I can only do so much.

You are right however in saying I didn't want to discuss it. Because I know what I am doing. I have enough experience to know when my normal methods of hunting do not work. And enough experience to be able to make a valid desision based on the game itself and my actions and various tests. Thanks for telling me what I did and did not test. I appreciate it. If you would like to troll somewhere else go for it. I'm not looking for a conflict for once and I'd like to get help from someone who can actually look at the problem and just tell me if everything is working fine or not. Thanks for stopping by.

Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 08:52 PM CDT
The only reason I've been 'trolling' is because you've been begging me to with your passive agressiveness. All you had to do was say 'Hey, I tried it, it didn't work'. And, frankly, I doubt you did, as you're still spouting about your 'game experience and knowledge'. But fine. Have fun.

-Ssra
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 09:21 PM CDT
Sometimes We wonder why these forums exist,
Then it becomes clear that some people just like to see their thoughts
Written across a dull grey backdrop.
Complain if you would, conflict if you should.
But at least do it with class or some style.

Translation, just because you can post doesn't mean you should. In the case of arguing with someone who knows what they are talking about, you will always lose. So don't pick a fight where the odds are stacked against you. Also, simly because you reply multiple times spouting the same information in a different form, does not make you an authority. And kudos for lame attempts at insulting someone to make yourself look smart. Its a common misconception that a witty retort makes you appear intelligent. Dicression is key. Pick your battles, and pick well. You're not right half as often as you think you are and even less often than you think you should be.
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/04/2005 09:57 PM CDT
Yes. Of course. My entire goal in life is to make the, what, half dozen?, people reading this folder in a text based game think I am all knowing. The 13 forbid I was trying to help someone rather than get myself off on some sort of god complex. I do not know this person. I suggest what I think he should do. He restates his situation without adding new info or stating he attempted my solution. I repost original info in modified style, still attempting to convince him. Repeat. Now I am condescended and insulted. Wonderful.

-Ssra
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/05/2005 03:06 AM CDT
Elec, sorry if my undead post was miscontrued. It was meant as a joke, nothing more. It's a long running joke that undead have skewed abilities.

That being said, the shield breaking thing is normal for steeds, and has been there since the area was opened. It's intended that they have high impact, which in turn damages shields/armor. I either posted or assisted about this 'feature' when I tested 'em shortly after implementation and was told there was nothing out of the ordinary, just that high impact damage = damage to device offering protection, whether it be shield, weapon, or armor. If the bites are damaging your shield also, and not just the hoof/charge attacks, then that may be an unintended feature and I'd send a bug report concerning that.

To relate the above to controlled circumstances, if you fight someone wielding a large blunt weapon (HB/2HB) with high impact damage, even though you outclass your opponent, if they hit the shield enough times it will damage it. They may never may be able to hit you in a hundred swings of said weapon, but every time you block with your shield instead of completely dodging there's a chance your shield will be damaged, and in a hundred attacks (similar to a short hunting trip with a steady swarm of steeds) it's likely the shield could be destroyed.

Unfortunately, there's no way to appraise weapons of natural creatures, so far as I know, so you can't get a mattock forged with similar damage appraisals and test if the steeds damage your shield more than the mattock.

One thing that may have caused an increase in the shield damage arena with steeds is the semi-recent changes to brawling that made it an effective weapon (finally!). If the attacks steeds are using are calculated using the same scripts as PC brawling attacks, then their attacks may have gained some extra power...

Of course, all of the above could become invalidated as soon as I hit post if the current PTB decide that the damage is out of whack and tweak it.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/05/2005 07:50 AM CDT
>The problem is that they do an inordinate amount of armor damage for thier level.

They are undead. This is an undead 'feature'. Undead destroy armor, blow out chests, do nasty things far beyond the point where they train. I have a paladin about the same level as yours ... if I take him into fiends which don't teach him even his 8th and 9th weapons or lower, they can still kill him through double the armor/shield teaching cap if they get an 'undead hit' and blow out his chest.

>So, unless you specifically can provide a reason why the steeds tear through shields so easily in my situations

The reason is they are undead. Undead do things like this. A dark fiend could probably kill a 100th circle + paladin if the pallie stuck around long enough. Just the nature of the mob. All armed undead are like this, and effectively steeds are armed with good sized blunts from the type of hits they get. In large swarms, yes, any undead with serious impact weapons will rip up your shield. That's just the way they are. It's not a bug, its a 'feature' ... it's well documented and anyone who regularly hunts armed undead knows it.

>if these aren't going to to train, then they need to be less lethal at level.

Every single undead is dangerous far past its caps. Even souls can get lucky and really nail a chara far, far past their cap. Even a death squirrel can occasionally pop someone in the thirties/fourties. It is just the way undead are. It's called a 'leadership challenge', I think is the phrase in many code books.
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/07/2005 12:51 AM CDT
Unfortunately the "damage" system in place for weapons and armor is not only unrealistic, it is also very unplayable. It makes DR a not so fun game.

- There are spells like MF that DESTROY armor into little itty bitts even on glancing hits (ie. scuffs of death).

- Arm worn shields are practically useless. I buy the small ones and they break after 2-3 hits in anything that teaches past 100 ranks.

- It's all or none. Either a weapon is so strong it only takes damage from the grave, and occasionally from like, rock guardians,,, or its so weak ANYTHING breaks it from trolls to goblins to undead.

- Sparring becomes very dangerous, as almost all spells cause instant armor damage. This can cost people actual plats depending on the base cost of the item (and altered items here in Plat cost a ton to repair).

- There isn't enough levels of damage. It feels like 100%, 90%, 10% hehe. The progression from pristine to broken can happen in the course of one battle. Not very hero-like having that family sword last only one battle. Realistic perhaps, but not fun or playable.

- I know most of this will be fixed with the weapon/armor rewrite (hopefully). I'd rather see weapon and armor degredation cause more reduction in the weapon/armor protection/damage, and less chance of permanent breakage.

Well those are my thoughts.. I know Aether Lance used to tear up armor, but it was removed. Perhaps make player worn armor and weapons damage at 10% the speed of creature worn weapons and armor. Would make spells like Paladin's rust worthwhile in battle - totally destroy monster armor, and effective enough in PvP to be useful but not grief-filled. Reduces their protective qualities, but doesn't set them back a fortune.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website!!

Quote of the moment >> "If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button."
-- Sam Levenson
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/07/2005 11:38 AM CDT
A weapon in use requires regular sharpening in order to keep its edge. This restores the sharpness of the blade at the cost of making the blade more brittle. Repairing nicks and dings in a blade also reduce the blade's overall construction. Eventually, a blade is going to break. Repairing a blade is a temporary measure, as a repaired blade is still weaker than a newly forged weapon.

Dragonrealms allows for weapons to be restored to full working condition, and most weapons require practically no maintainence whatsoever. If your sword gets dinged, you can take to be repaired and it'll come back good as new - which means with care, unless you're fighting certain critters (such as war mammoths) which can snap any weapon on an unlucky hit, you could use the same sword for your entire DR career.

'Realistic' would involve much more maintainence required for weapons, and weapons would break and be rendered unusable far more frequently. Would that REALLY be more fun?

Orpheus: "You've been powering this machine with a forsaken child?"
Venture: "What? It's not like I used the whole thing."
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/07/2005 12:36 PM CDT
>>If your sword gets dinged, you can take to be repaired and it'll come back good as new - which means with care, unless you're fighting certain critters (such as war mammoths) which can snap any weapon on an unlucky hit, you could use the same sword for your entire DR career.

Actually, repeated damage/repair will weaken the overall construction of a weapon, but most people use weapons with a high enough base construction to begin with that they rarely get to the point where it is noticable. As an example, the quarterstaff I was using not that long ago was 'average' construction; after several repairs it became 'somewhat flimsy.'

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy

http://www.mistletoebeltbuckle.com
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/07/2005 01:35 PM CDT
"Unfortunately the "damage" system in place for weapons and armor is not only unrealistic, it is also very unplayable. It makes DR a not so fun game."

My character goes sometimes months at a time without repairing anything other than shields. I don't find it particularly unplayable and certainly I find it still fun.

"- Arm worn shields are practically useless. I buy the small ones and they break after 2-3 hits in anything that teaches past 100 ranks."

I wish they didn't get damaged so easily but I still find them far better than what we had before. If you find arm worn shield useless- then certainly don't use them. We all managed to not use them before they were available. Currently I pretty much cycle them through the repair shop- I wear one until its damaged, take it to the repair shop and drop it off, and pick up my repaired one at the same time. By the way my character has 170 ranks and mostly fights undead.

"- It's all or none. Either a weapon is so strong it only takes damage from the grave, and occasionally from like, rock guardians,,, or its so weak ANYTHING breaks it from trolls to goblins to undead."

Well I suppose this is somewhat true- but it also means that you have choices. You can choose to use a flimsy constructed weapon but it will get damaged easily. But all of my weapons except my quarterstaff essentially never get damaged(this means my axe, bastard sword, both of my mallets, claymore, mattock, hammer, throwing hammer- even my spears since I don't parry with them.

"- Sparring becomes very dangerous, as almost all spells cause instant armor damage. This can cost people actual plats depending on the base cost of the item (and altered items here in Plat cost a ton to repair)."

Well- this seems like an easily obstacle to overcome- if you want to spar- wear regular storebought armor. Most store bought armor is very reasonable to buy or repair.

"- There isn't enough levels of damage. It feels like 100%, 90%, 10% hehe. The progression from pristine to broken can happen in the course of one battle. Not very hero-like having that family sword last only one battle. Realistic perhaps, but not fun or playable."

Well I would agree- but I haven't had that happen much if ever. Some weapons such as QS and Spears are pretty flimsy construction but most will hold up well- and here in prime where forged are fairly accessable and affordable. I wonder why your weapons are breaking so easily?

I wonder if this is a bigger issue in platinum than prime? Other than creatures that are known to damage weapons and armor, I just haven't experienced it much.

Flavius
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/09/2005 02:20 PM CDT
We have very little forged (and therfore well constructed) items in Plat. So its very possible the problem is seen more over here. I am more refering to armor anyhow, as I can somewhat see why quarterstaves and pole-weapons are more easily damaged. BUT, I use an arm worn shield for that reason, to protect my weapon. When the arm worn shield breaks before 2 critters die,,, well then its a problem. I'm still not sure why blood and bone wolves are so shield-break-crazy.

As for the sparring thing. Sure we can wear storebought stuff. But GM hunts and many RP events here in Plat last for a few hours, and you'd need a dozen suits of armor on hand to keep replacing whats breaking. It is annoying having to run to the vault every time you THINK an event might be starting :grumble:

Finally, I suppose that since almost a dozen other MMOs utilize a common standard for item durability that I'm so used to, that DR feels behind the times. Obviously any new players we get might feel the same. These are just my concerns. Peoples' experiences may vary. Obviously if all your armor is well constructed you won't ever notice it. But if you are relying on fairly constructed store bought stuff.. it will suck bad even from wood trolls pounding on you.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website!!

Quote of the moment >> "If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button."
-- Sam Levenson
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/09/2005 02:53 PM CDT
I'd like it if weapon damage worked as following:

1) Weapons/armor accumulate damage slowly with use.
2) Held/worn weapons/armor take a small damage hit when you die.
3) Held/worn weapons/armor take another small damage hit when entering a grave.
4) At some percentage of perfect condition (let's say 60%), the stats of the weapon/armor begin to degrade. This does not affect the weapons sturdiness (and therefore does not lead to an increasing vulnerability as is suffered now).
5) At some percentage of perfect condition (let's say 20%), the weapon/armor begins to give intermittent warning messaging on usage.
6) At 0% the item becomes unuseable and has a low percentage chance of being completely destroyed.
7) At anything over 0%, the item can be repaired as normal at the regular repair locations or (in the future) by a moderate practitioner of the appropriate creation skill.
8) At 0%, the item must be repaired by one of several special NPCs who regularly but intermittently visit the various repair shops or (in the future) by a master of the appropriate creation skill.

Keep in mind, however, that all weapon/armor damage is being looked at by Ssra for (while not a total rewrite) a definite reexamining of the frequency/effect of the damage done. I would expect lower-strength items to become more useable and higher-strength items to become less invulnerable.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
PSA - Sakhara's definition of RP (among other things) is erroneous
"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/09/2005 03:04 PM CDT
Oh, and meant all that in addition to the regular (recalculated) chances for weapon/armor damage, not instead of.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
PSA - Sakhara's definition of RP (among other things) is erroneous
"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/09/2005 03:06 PM CDT
I like that Arcebelor.

I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar.
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 10/09/2005 03:16 PM CDT
Thinking that'd be a pain and seven-eighths to code, but I like the concept.

Amagaim; the player of,

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 11/08/2005 07:35 PM CST
I don't read this folder very often anymore but I found this funny.

>- Arm worn shields are practically useless. I buy the small ones and they break after 2-3 hits in anything that teaches past 100 ranks.

You are certain that it imposes an insignificant maneuvering hinderance.

You are certain that the shield offers very poor to moderate protection.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
no slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the shield is fairly balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the target shield is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

10 minutes of combat and about 30 bristlebacks later.

You (nimbly balanced) are facing a bristle-backed peccary (1) at pole weapon range.
A bristle-backed peccary (1: solidly balanced) is advancing on you at pole weapon range.
A bristle-backed peccary (2: nimbly balanced) is flanking you at melee range.
A bristle-backed peccary (4: slightly off balance) is behind you at melee range.

Twohanded Edged: 313 80% mind lock
Shield Usage: 277 22% mind lock
Heavy Edged: 271 81% pondering
Twohanded Edged: 313 81% muddled
Medium Blunt: 211 74% muddled
Large Blunt: 209 28% muddled
Twohanded Blunt: 215 59% muddled
Halberds: 207 98% muddled

You are certain that the target shield is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

Not only are you wrong...your like stupid wrong. Please don't spread false information arround. There are creatures that will break shields. Any shields. But to issue a blanket statement attesting that the shields are useless and aren't useful past 100 ranks is irresponsible.

Ternith Sjomah
___
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 11/08/2005 08:42 PM CST
Wow. They don't break targets? Leucs break targets... that's crazy. Do peccs not hit hard? Or.. hm..

(This Is Not) Mrrar

Out of Context Theatre
"Shaved head, but in a good way."--Ragran
"Their number is negligible and they are stupid."--Eisenhower
~~Join The Fallen!~~ (So you don't bother me >:o )
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 11/09/2005 09:34 AM CST
I've been hunting in Steeds for a few days now. Gained about 10 ranks in shield (100-111), and they scuffed each of my armworn shields once: an oval ironwood, and the jester target one that I only use while training bow. Overall, not too bad.

I am sure that if I attempted to use my jester shield at melee it would prove practically useless. The oval shield works pretty well, however.

I think the problem is that once a shield gets hit once, it often gets broken rapidly. The first hit acts as a tipping point. The only reason I can think of is that shield durability is calculated modified by damage, rather than base construction. That seems like a bug to me.

I'm guessing that to use a target shield in peccs you need to stance shield down and let evasion absorb the brunt of the attack. Also, reflex must be high... I'm honestly surprised as well.
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 11/09/2005 11:40 AM CST
>>Wow. They don't break targets? Leucs break targets... that's crazy. Do peccs not hit hard? Or.. hm..

I can go into leucs and have a target shield come out pristine. I've done it in the past.

They can break them, you just need to watch for damage. Steeds just one of the critters that are good at breaking shields, just like gargoyles and guardians.

Brabs

Ternith whispers to your group, "the Barbarian never retreats...the warrior will take use of falling back to a better position to kill."
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 11/09/2005 12:00 PM CST
Weird. I gave up on the targets after breaking three (bleucs). Use the oval now.

(This Is Not) Mrrar

Out of Context Theatre
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 11/11/2005 06:32 PM CST
I've used the small armworn and medium armworn and I have yet to have anything other than gravesites damage them. rats>goblins>eels>sand sprites>silver leucros>eidolon steeds>currently la'tami.

Sepan
a total W.A.A.S.T.E. of time

Riddle: Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 11/16/2005 03:09 PM CST
I've never had an issue with breaking equiptment in steeds, and being a 32nd ranger living in Ilithi, they're my primary prey. Only issue I have is when they break ME. Heh.

But for the record, much like the Adan'f in Ilithi... steeds are not undead. They are cursed. As it was said, there is a fine line between them, but for the record, they are NOT undead, and therefore, while having some of the bonuses, they also have some of the drawbacks. They are damaged by blessed weapons and the undead-killing magics such as Plague of Scavengers, but along the same lines they don't hit as hard as many pure undead critters (in my experience, others may disagree.)

That being the case, I live in Blackthorn canyon. They teach me quite well, and I have very few complaints.

You are wearing a leather cuff embroidered with the words "No Ranger stands alone."
Re: Ssra! The STEEDS man the STEEDS! 11/16/2005 07:25 PM CST
Can you please post their Description, Rantjur?

(This Is Not) Mrrar

Out of Context Theatre
Prev_page Previous 1