Fendryads 09/23/2003 04:49 PM CDT
It might just be me, but fendryads in Langenfirth seem WAY too difficult to hit, considering their circle range. I can stand hacking for several minutes with more than expert weapon... but they don't hit me either. What's even weirder is I hit them every time when I fully aim with my Crossbow, which is 41 less than my HE. And when I do land, I kill them in only a few hits.

Cavalier Calemnon
Re: Fendryads 09/23/2003 04:55 PM CDT
<<It might just be me, but fendryads in Langenfirth seem WAY too difficult to hit, considering their circle range. I can stand hacking for several minutes with more than expert weapon... but they don't hit me either. What's even weirder is I hit them every time when I fully aim with my Crossbow, which is 41 less than my HE. And when I do land, I kill them in only a few hits.--Cavalier Calemnon>>

They can't parry a bolt.

starkad
____
In that song, "You're so Vain" is he really that vain? I mean the song IS about him...
Re: Fendryads 09/25/2003 10:36 AM CDT
Fendryads on the hummocks teach past 280 weapon ranks and those in the water teach past 340. They seem to teach armor a little higher than those numbers. Their parry defense is very very strong, unbalance them, attack their weapon arm, grab the axe when they drop it. . .

~Bractos
Re: Fendryads 09/26/2003 10:16 PM CDT
I've gotten vicious strikes and other such craziness on fendryads (no vertigo or other sleep spell) with less than 80 ranks 2HE. I generally use them to work TM tho, and leave weapons for the peccaries.
Re: Fendryads 11/25/2003 05:01 PM CST
With spells like Vertigo and IP, training in Fens have been WONDERFUL . . . . well . . . till their magic get's turned back on. Then it's back to swamp trolls and lil Piggies.

I'm gonna enjoy it while it last.

Woodcubb of Ilithi
Re: Fendryads 12/15/2003 06:10 PM CST
<<With spells like Vertigo and IP, training in Fens have been WONDERFUL . . . . well . . . till their magic get's turned back on. Then it's back to swamp trolls and lil Piggies.>>

Actually, I've found that the new casting fens are easier to kill. Just be sure to have VOI to seal their offensive spells (VOI at 7 can be snap cast on a fen in just a couple seconds), and if you're fast enough you can get a targeted spell of your own through before the VOI to move TM a bit. If I'm at melee with them and they prep a spell, they're usually dead within seconds. Prepping really hurts their ability to defend. :)

~Vraniss~
Re: Fendryads 12/16/2003 08:09 AM CST
>>Actually, I've found that the new casting fens are easier to kill.

I have to agree. I was kind of dreading them getting their magic back, but all that time spent prepping and harnessing and focusing and targetting ... Then, by the time they're ready to cast it's either that balance-enhancing spell where the vines come up and stabilize them (useless!) or the TKT, which while it often hits is never as damaging as them just swinging an axe at me. I can generally kill them now by the time they can get off more than 2 spells, whereas before it was a long slog and I often got seriously injured.

Proving, once again, that magic is a crutch ;-)

~ Nutawa the Barbarian
Re: Fendryads 12/16/2003 03:36 PM CST
That's great for offensive training, but with them casting spells now, how do they train defensively? Or is it like most critters that have magic now, they spend 90% of their time prepping, and finally casting, and no longer swing a weapon to train you in defenses?

The Merc.
Re: Fendryads 12/16/2003 03:49 PM CST
>>Or is it like most critters that have magic now, they spend 90% of their time prepping, and finally casting, and no longer swing a weapon to train you in defenses?

I haven't had a chance to play around with them a whole lot, and my defenses were already locked up by peccaries for the most part, so I can't say for sure. However, from the experience I did have, they seemed about like the mace swamp trolls in terms of their attacks vs. prepping time.

~ Nutawa
Re: Fendryads 12/16/2003 05:12 PM CST
Quick question! What level are they?
Re: Fendryads 12/16/2003 06:22 PM CST
Well to plug them into things on my chart over and under in comparisones here is were they fit in

FOURTH RANGE OF CRITTER UNDER ME

ROCK GUARDIAN:
(40th) * Dec 9th 2003
there offensive versus me -4 is a relatively easy opponent.
there defensive versus me -9 is something that you could tear to shreds.

FENDRYAD: (LANG Hummock version)
(39th) * Dec 9th 2003
there defensive versus me -2 is a relatively easy opponent.

CROSSING DEATH SPIRIT:
(38th) * Dec 9th 2003
there defensive versus me -4 is a simple opponent.

MOTTLED WESTANURYN: (Muspari version)
(37th) {stated 40th} * Dec 9th 2003
there defensive versus me -9 is something that you could tear to shreds.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

FIFTH RANGE OF CRITTER UNDER ME

SWAMP TROLL: (LANG Version)
(36th) * Dec 9th 2003
there offensive versus me -5 is an easy opponent.
there defensive versus me -3 is an easy opponent.

ALLEY THUG:
(35th) * Dec 9th 2003

UR HHRKI'IZH:
(35th) * Dec 9th 2003

SMALL PECCARY: (LANG & Shard)
(33th) * Dec 9th 2003
there defensive versus me -10 is something you could wipe the floor with.

GIANT BLACK LEUCRO:
(33th) * Dec 10th 2003
there defensive versus me -10 is something you could wipe the floor with.

" GOT BEER "

Re: Fendryads 12/16/2003 06:57 PM CST
Thankz
Re: Fendryads 12/18/2003 12:10 PM CST
Nice info Soim. Looks like I've been playing with pecs and fens too long and need to step up my game.

Thanks

Woodcubb of Ilithi