Faenrae reavers 07/17/2002 04:24 AM CDT
Faenrae reavers seem to not reward too well. I've seen people do much better in rock trolls, for a start, even with them tremoring. The reavers have demonstrated a tendency to be more lethal than they are worth in my recent hunting trips up there...

-Seldaene
Re: Faenrae reavers 07/17/2002 11:31 AM CDT
I'd noticed the same. They can really be a challenge for those not Holy oriented. (not currently a problem, but they were a more difficult opponent then I thought/remembered they were)

-Fyriestorme
Re: Faenrae reavers 07/17/2002 11:38 AM CDT
I think the problem most people have with reavers is the swarm factor with the wind hounds. They're supposed to be as hard as a wood troll is, and i think they are, but the swarm factor causes alot of problems. Most young people fighting at that level don't have a whole lot of MO so their defesnive combat skills take a nasty penalty. But on the bright side, their boxes are better'n most wood trolls =)

Player of Hark
Re: Faenrae reavers 07/24/2002 08:52 PM CDT
I completely agree with everything said about Reavers and wind hounds. They never fail to kill me when I step in there now.

Corillon the Ranger, who vivdly remembers an older brother hunting reavers day and night from circles 4-12. <--- WHAT HAPPENED HERE??
Re: Faenrae reavers 07/25/2002 03:06 AM CDT
Very definately changed from when I was young.

I used to fight em around 5th circle-11th circle before the web migration with my thief.

Now my bard thats 25th gets beat up fighting them.

<sigh>

Also: A few critters on the official Beastiary on the web page levels just aren't right--even considering they go by "barbarian" levels.

Nightstalker Unyns are listed as the same as nightweaver unyns at 25th. Nightweaver is about right. Nightstalkers definately higher.

Faenrae stalkers from Undershard are listed as 20th. um, No.
Those things, especially the ones by the spire, I'd rate at about 41st barbarian given their weapon appraisal with weapons I have at that level.

Unlisted <by accident?> in the beastiary:

Ship rats
black rats
blue-bellied crocs
geniis

Schvartz
Re: Faenrae reavers 11/28/2002 10:42 PM CST
<<Faenrae stalkers from Undershard are listed as 20th. um, No.
Those things, especially the ones by the spire, I'd rate at about 41st barbarian given their weapon appraisal with weapons I have at that level.>>

I fought them at circle high 20's low 30's. Of course that was 4 years ago. Alot has changed. I was in Guardians at 40-45th circle. Is that still the same?

Codiak(x)
Re: Faenrae reavers 11/29/2002 03:32 AM CST
<<Faenrae stalkers from Undershard are listed as 20th. um, No. Those things, especially the ones by the spire, I'd rate at about 41st barbarian given their weapon appraisal with weapons I have at that level.>>

41st barb at the very least. I know that a 45th paladin and 43rd thief working in tandem against one had to retreat as often as not. Those things are just plain dangerous. More recently, I went in with my (at the time) 64th bard and a 68+ thief, and we got knocked around fairly good by one. All in all thoroughly unpleasant creatures.

Now the ones I see occassionally in invasions ARE in the 20th circle range - they don't backstabbing broadsword or the double leathers, for starters. Unfortunately, I fought those first, so I seriously underestimated the ones in Undershard the first time down <heh>

Dash & the gang

Curious about DragonRealms Platinum? Find out more at http://members.tripod.com/cervanntes/DragonRealms/index.htm
Re: Faenrae reavers 11/29/2002 03:31 PM CST
You're typical 41st barb won't be able to touch a Stalker, currently. I'd say they're closer to 50th or better. Much tougher than Rock Guardians or Fendryads.

~Dianysis
Re: Faenrae reavers 12/01/2002 12:13 AM CST
<<You're typical 41st barb won't be able to touch a Stalker, currently. I'd say they're closer to 50th or better. Much tougher than Rock Guardians or Fendryads.>>

Are stalkers mixed in with Ruffians, Cutthroats and Thugs? If we are talking about the same thing, they must of upped their difficulty immensly. When I fought them you had to search for them or they would backstab you and usually get a good hit on you. But not too hard to hit after they came out of hiding. Ruffians were the toughest to hit back then.

Codiax
Re: Faenrae reavers 12/01/2002 12:17 AM CST
The stalkers in Undershard are around adan'f level, regardless of which part of Undershard you train in. They're insanely rare, though. Like, one would gen in all of Undershard per hour. They're not that hard to run away from and not be found by them because of that.
Re: Faenrae reavers 12/01/2002 12:45 AM CST
<<The stalkers in Undershard are around adan'f level>>

Actually, the spire area is around Adan'f Level (slightly lower) while the Stalkers make Adan'f look sick. I'd put stalkers around circle 65 maybe 70. Dragon Priests are circle 65 and I do better against those than I do a Stalker .... so beware of the stalkers. They have sick stamina. :)
Re: Faenrae reavers 01/17/2003 09:14 AM CST
>>Actually, the spire area is around Adan'f Level (slightly lower) while the Stalkers make Adan'f look sick. I'd put stalkers around circle 65 maybe 70. Dragon Priests are circle 65 and I do better against those than I do a Stalker .... so beware of the stalkers. They have sick stamina. :)

That sounds about right on the stuff besides stalkers. I have no trouble seeing them sneak up on me most times, but when I don't, ouch.

Their ambush hurts. I'm not 50th yet, and did fairly well last time I hunted in that area a couple months ago. They beat me up some, and usually walk out, beat up pretty good, but walk out at least. But that is good, good learning. Not too much trouble hitting them, took a little work, but to be expected when hunting things borderline.

Brabs

What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine, what's not bolted down is mine, if it can be pried up it isn't bolted down.
Re: Faenrae reavers 09/05/2003 11:14 PM CDT
Funny... last time I was in Undershard they were like 15th circle critters... about the same difficulty as gargs but with less vitality.

My, how times have changed

Xorkoth
Re: Faenrae reavers 09/05/2003 11:58 PM CDT
You are confusing Faenrae reavers with Faenrae stalkers. the reavers are the "ladies" up past kaerna in the caves. the stalkers are the guys in undershard with sharp pointy objects they love to insert in your spine. :-)

~Weak of arm,lousy roars;
terrible aim, awful health;
broken fingers, no real stealth;
leave em dead,cause you cant do more; lost your coins,on the floor;
greetings! now you're out the door~
>
Re: Faenrae reavers 09/07/2003 03:46 AM CDT
No, I'm talking like 3 or 4 years ago. They backstabbed but it was not particularly deadly. I know with not much over 100 in weapons and defenses I used to kill them all the time. Back then the hardest critters in the realms were death spirits, besides invasions. Things were geared towards a much lower level population
Re: Faenrae reavers 09/07/2003 01:21 PM CDT
You've got the correct description between them back then and right now, but the wrong name. It's only ever been faenrae stalkers in US. The reavers are up in between vipers and Dirge.

And yes, stalkers are much much more difficult now.

~Ambreene
Re: Faenrae reavers 09/07/2003 02:49 PM CDT
What the hell does reaver mean? We have 3 or 4 creatures in the realms with a pre name: fanear reaver, unyn reaver, ect.

Methan

"I like my women like I like my coffee, Covered in bees!"
Re: Faenrae reavers 09/07/2003 03:38 PM CDT
reaver

\Reav"er\, n. One who reaves. [Archaic]

reave
v. Archaic reaved, or reft (rft) reav?ing, reaves
v. tr.
To seize and carry off forcibly.
To deprive (one) of something; bereave.
v. intr.
To rob, plunder, or pillage.

Serriously, www.dictionary.com is your friend.

"I sleep just to dream her,
I beg the night just to see her,
That my only love should be her,
Just to lie in her arms"

-DT
Re: Faenrae reavers 11/26/2003 11:22 AM CST
The stuff in US doesn't backstab either. It's just that the GMs don't want to fix the messaging bug that's been around for a while. They're ambushing even though it says they're backstabbing at you. Stalkers are a lot more dangerous than adan'f warriors and mages in the barrows, if someone is hunting in US and a stalker gens in hiding, they're probably dead unless they get very lucky.

I am --- Navak
Re: Faenrae reavers 12/26/2003 03:44 PM CST
<<The stuff in US doesn't backstab either. It's just that the GMs don't want to fix the messaging bug that's been around for a while. They're ambushing even though it says they're backstabbing at you. Stalkers are a lot more dangerous than adan'f warriors and mages in the barrows, if someone is hunting in US and a stalker gens in hiding, they're probably dead unless they get very lucky.>>

Nono. I really do! The scripts for them are even open in my editor!

It's just that there tend to be a ton of other scripts with that property, as well. <grumble> Soon! Soon!

-- GM Veyl
Re: Faenrae reavers 12/28/2003 06:39 PM CST
And I agree, the stalkers are nasty, I used to hunt undershard for third and fourth weapons, and had to run (if I was able) if a stalker got hold of me... with 140-150 range primary weapon at the time, low expert in TM, and mid to high expert in PM and harness the stalkers were still more than I could handle.

P.S. - I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've done with combat now Veyl, it looks like you've allowed for player skill and judgement to matter nearly as much as numbers, and scripters are gonna have a lot of work to do, or a lot of favors to get.
Re: Faenrae reavers 01/05/2004 10:43 PM CST
>Veyl, it looks like you've allowed for player skill and judgement to matter nearly as much as numbers, and scripters are gonna have a lot of work to do, or a lot of favors to get.

I doubt player skill will matter as much as character's ranks. I also doubt scripters will have much trouble changing the parry/jab/slices in their scripts to draw/slice/sweep or whatever.

Tessaa the scripter who isn't worried about having lots of work to do or having to get lots of favors

"Dreams- Australian for beer."
Re: Faenrae reavers 01/06/2004 01:57 PM CST
>>I doubt player skill will matter as much as character's ranks. I also doubt scripters will have much trouble changing the parry/jab/slices in their scripts to draw/slice/sweep or whatever.

Not only that, but it will probably actually encourage people to script. If the combos are long, tiring, and hard to remember, why not just make a script do it? A good effort, but sadly I don't think it's possible to stop the combat scripters.

Vetokend
Re: Faenrae reavers 01/06/2004 03:29 PM CST
Why do you want to stop the combat scripters anyway? If they aren't afk, it shouldn't matter.
Re: Faenrae reavers 01/06/2004 03:43 PM CST
>>Why do you want to stop the combat scripters anyway? If they aren't afk, it shouldn't matter.

Well, to me, it defeats the purpose. I can see scripting when things get way too repetetive. For instance, if a warrior mage doesn't script power walking, then he/she is out of his/her mind. I think the more complex a script is, the more ridiculous its utilization is. Combat is always changing, and has always been the most fun part of dragonrealms to me. Plus, excessive scripting is also prohibited. You have to ask yourself.. if one scripts combat, what don't they script? If you're just going to script all day, try out progressquest at www.progressquest.com. It's pretty much the same thing, except you don't have to worry about dying.

Now I'm sure a ton of people are going to disagree with me and defend their cause for combat scripting. I'm a dying breed, and as far as I can tell, almost everybody combat scripts now, which is really quite sad. You're welcome to reply, but I've said my piece. Besides, this is off topic enough already.

Vetokend
Re: Faenrae reavers 01/06/2004 03:46 PM CST
I've typed parry jab draw slice so many times I just don't wanna do it anymore. Combat is a very repetitive thing for me, I don't need to do anything else but those 4 things. And soon it'll be a new combo. Its just as repetitive as anything else in the game. Thats why I script combat.
Re: Faenrae reavers 01/06/2004 04:19 PM CST
>>I've typed parry jab draw slice so many times I just don't wanna do it anymore. Combat is a very repetitive thing for me, I don't need to do anything else but those 4 things. And soon it'll be a new combo. Its just as repetitive as anything else in the game. Thats why I script combat.

You might try hot keys.

Vetokend
Re: Faenrae reavers 01/06/2004 04:23 PM CST
>>You might try hot keys.

Or scrip...d'oh!

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything.
Re: Faenrae reavers 01/06/2004 04:50 PM CST
>>Or scrip...d'oh!

See what I mean? Hopeless.

Vetokend
Re: Faenrae reavers 01/06/2004 05:03 PM CST
i know i will have to have scripts for each weapon type, just to keep up, because of the variety of weapons used by my characters, i won't be able to remember otherwise...

parry, no bash, no swing, no feint now... awww, crud.

i prefer things upfront and straight forward.

easier to remember parry/jab for edges and draw/bash for blunts. the only weapon i didn't use one of these two for was halberds, and yes, I had to have a script for training it.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: Faenrae reavers 01/18/2004 02:09 PM CST
>i know i will have to have scripts for each weapon type, just to keep up

I'm the same way, not to mention remembering what comes next. I'd much rather be able to watch the screen instead of some cheat sheet with a counter next to it to keep track of where I am in some combo. Anything that draws my attention away from what is going on in the main window, IMNSHO, is bad because that's courting lockout, not just death.

I already have the new combos set up for my weapons in scripts. But then I use 'idiot' scripts. There really isn't any matching in 'em or other fancy stuff. They just run through the patterns so I can keep an eye on critters coming into the room, people talking to me, now, fatigue with the blunts, maybe throw in a cast or two, or a lunge with a poker, that kind of thing. Scripting, for me, has always been a way to stay more responsive to the environment.

But then it also makes sense to me in an IC fashion as well. An experienced fighter doesn't stop and think well, after I parry, then I jab, no, now I draw, what was I doing?, do I slice now? No, they go from one move to the next *without thinking about it*. It's at a physical memory level where the moves are automatic, which sounds to me like a script, especially with the long combos now.

Vale, player of
Re: Faenrae reavers 05/25/2004 09:31 PM CDT
If "Its just as repetitive as anything else in the game."

...then why are you playing the game?