Oh Grejuva! 03/20/2016 03:55 PM CDT
You've been sold out by a anonymous party as the person to go to for this suggestion.

We would like to formally request a Undead creature line that stretches from 600 ranks to 1,100 or so and is skinnable to serve the requirements of both Empaths who work weapons and Clerics who enjoy using all of their tool set.

I will happily contribute concepts, messaging, lore and such as required for the creation process although it seems like we could make this a community project too. Very easy to do with Google Docs or whatnot. We'll do the creative work if you are willing to code it!

Prydaen prayer for the hunt:
http://pastebin.com/fRrP52H7
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 06:35 AM CDT
New creature ideas are always welcome, especially if they have amazing special abilities. :)

The difficulty with an entire line of creatures, though, is that it would almost certainly require a new area, and I don't do much area building.

What would be helpful to me, personally, is a list of empty places with the potential to become hunting areas. We have a number of unreleased creatures that might be reasonably quick to complete if they had a fitting home. A good example is Asketi's Mount, which will soon be teeming with even more creatures.

GM Grejuva
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 07:06 AM CDT
Crossings sewers. The range thugs occupy is fairly fleshed out and they are mostly ignored.
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 07:48 AM CDT
>Crossings sewers. The range thugs occupy is fairly fleshed out and they are mostly ignored.

I think they're mostly ignored because they're mixed with silverfish which seems to spawn about four times as much as the thugs. Also, this area feels like you have to actively HUNT around in it to find them. Not sure if it has to do with their hiding or the way the area is set up. It's somewhere between inconvenient and down right frustrating to hunt down there.

I did a little bit of backtraining down there and I'm not so sure that someone with at-level perception would have an even more difficult time.
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 08:20 AM CDT
I loved crossing sewers (agree about removing silverfish).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 11:12 AM CDT
Although we're discussing a "mid-range" line of creatures, it should be noted that Shard has the Wyverns that stretch in this range, Crossing has the Xala'shar and M'riss has the Armadillos in close proximity. Our world is huge for such a small player base at this point, but it might be a good idea to look at Therengia or Aesry for what I'm suggesting. They both have untouched areas (either undeveloped or just plain not used).

Grumpy Old Dwarf already cried, "Please not Aesry!" and he has a somewhat valid point, nobody really wants to go there especially for long term hunting. Although it hurts me not to object because there is so much wasted on Aesry, he is kind of right. I think Therengia is the best bet. Hib has options leading up to the point we're targeting and has both the space and setup for it, but breathing life into Theren isn't terrible either.

You referenced Asketi's Mount and that would be absolutely perfect, She is known for producing abominations like what we're talking about. I don't even know for sure what is up there besides Black Gargoyles and people have complaints with them that stretch a mile long. Maybe we could retool them and use their area to develop an entire line.

Either way, if you want detailed suggestions and ideas, we'll need the restrictions on character limits and format for information.

Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 11:49 AM CDT
I agree with the idea of trying to get something like this into Therengia somewhere (somewhere in either the Riverhaven/Rossman's Landing region or the Therenborough/Langenfirth region would be preferred, as opposed to Muspar'i or Throne City). Unfortunately I can't think of any existing areas around there that seem like they want to be turned into hunting areas. Maybe put some sort of barrier (GO <something>) on the stretch of road leading to Droughtman's maze and put something there?

The pre-existing area that does come to mind, though, is the forest bandit area by Ilaya Taipa. I think at this point it's safe to say that the forest bandits aren't going to happen, so the area may as well be repurposed for something.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 12:04 PM CDT
>>The pre-existing area that does come to mind, though, is the forest bandit area by Ilaya Taipa. I think at this point it's safe to say that the forest bandits aren't going to happen, so the area may as well be repurposed for something.

oh man I hated that these weren't around because I felt they would have been a perfect fit for my character a couple dozen ranks ago (not sure if it would have been true or not, but you know).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 12:29 PM CDT

The east side of the Zaulfung swamp is almost totally unused for hunting by anyone. East of the temple would be a great spot to make some giant construct/evil critters fused together will bone and stone and it would fit the history and the back ground of the area perfectly. huge old sentinels tainted with the evil of the swamps forming a massive critter/statue. special grabbing attack with crushing damage. skinable for bone.

undead mage/necro type critters armed with crossbows that have 4 arms and serpent type head. Large serpent type body that has patchwork scaly hide. ascended necro type maybe? or like the hounds skin and once the skin is removed or bone is removed containing dark black clouds of air instead of flesh.... special attacks the acid spell spell <spit> and mind blast.
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 12:39 PM CDT
Agreed, there are vast stretches of the swamp that are utterly unused. Already there and ripe for some abominations to come forth. All we really care about is that they are undead, skinnable and fill the empty slot of 600-1,100 for Theren. I don't even mind playing in the mud. ;)

Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 01:13 PM CDT
There's the Western salt road just to the west of Hib. It ends in an I think abandoned salt mine which could easily be the source or some critter along that road.
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 01:44 PM CDT
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/RanikMap8a

I loved hunting here forever ago. I'm sure that it's built in a way that could permit two or three tiers of critters instead of just pale grey death spirits.

Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 03:32 PM CDT

Aren't the silverfish summoned by the Crossing Sewer monsters?

"I, for one, think it's nice to have new folks who are excited and already care enough about the game to offer suggestions. We need more of that." -Solomon

Thanks for being in my corner Solomon, come back soon.
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 04:07 PM CDT
I think the trouble with rehabilitating old areas is they just don't work as well as hunting grounds without rebuilding all their exits, which could be almost as much work as writing a new area. I know for me, room descriptions were always the least involved part of building an area in a MUD compared to mapping, digging, setting up exits, flags and testing everything!

It does break my heart that charmingly-written areas like Laakvor are almost totally ignored because of redundant critters, long linear paths, and environmental mechanics that get super old.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 04:22 PM CDT
>>The pre-existing area that does come to mind, though, is the forest bandit area by Ilaya Taipa. I think at this point it's safe to say that the forest bandits aren't going to happen, so the area may as well be repurposed for something.

Agreed, that's just a big ol' wasted area right now. They could just as easily become ~haunted woods~. Or...undead bandits? :V

Happy to hear about Asketi's Mount. Though I hope any special attacks the mobs have are tuned carefully. Adders remain frankly unhuntable until many ranks past the point at which they'll teach well.

While you say no area building, there are areas in the game I really do wish were expanded on. The Hero's Gate on the STR for example. I've always thought that would be amazing to see opened up and maybe turned into a higher level undead hunting area.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 05:18 PM CDT
>>Aren't the silverfish summoned by the Crossing Sewer monsters?

No, but if they were it would still be a bit silly, too.

>>I think the trouble with rehabilitating old areas is they just don't work as well as hunting grounds without rebuilding all their exits

I can't speak for it on the GM side, but on the ALAE-side it's crazy-easy to change exits into portals.

>>which could be almost as much work as writing a new area. I know for me, room descriptions were always the least involved part of building an area in a MUD compared to mapping, digging, setting up exits, flags and testing everything!

I'll also say that after doing some very limited worldbuilding in ALAE, I have a new respect for the amount of work that goes into describing another room in another building without it being the literal same thing. The easiest part is really all the enviro-flags.

Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/21/2016 10:21 PM CDT
There is a pretty large empty area from Leth Deriel to the track leading to snowbeasts. What about somewhere there, or even off the snowbeast area?

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/22/2016 12:56 AM CDT
An area that jumps to mind for me is Laakvor (west of Crossing, Ranik map 3). I don't think water sprites and lipopods have spawned there in a very long time, nor the gidii and wood trolls. It could certainly use a refresh of some sort and is a wonderful creepy swamp area.

For what it's worth I think we have plenty of lower level creatures and I'd be fine with some higher level ones taking the spot. Though I will say that lipopods were my #1 favorite critter when I started playing. There was something very exciting about perhaps finding a piece of treasure or an old boot inside of one.

There are also a few hunting areas that strike me as larger than needed and could potentially be split into two. For example, the arzumos area near Shard, and the dolomar area on Pokekehekepi.

- Navesi
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/22/2016 07:51 AM CDT
I can attest lipopods do live there still. I did not take the young adventurer down to sprites; I pointed the way though.

-Dartellum Waddle

Vote for DR: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Oh Grejuva! 03/22/2016 09:14 AM CDT
>>I can't speak for it on the GM side, but on the ALAE-side it's crazy-easy to change exits into portals.

It's easy, but we have to have approvals to go in and remap areas. If there are suggestions for ones that need it badly (hello shipyard), I encourage you to post about them in Creatures->Suggestions.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Oh Grejuva! 02/22/2018 11:57 AM CST
This is reaching back a little ways, but in the context of adding new hunting areas, Grejuva said a couple of years ago that:

<<What would be helpful to me, personally, is a list of empty places with the potential to become hunting areas. We have a number of unreleased creatures that might be reasonably quick to complete if they had a fitting home.>>

I happened to stumble back across the thread while browsing, and took a quick look at some maps again, and actually found something I missed at the time this discussion was active. So I figured I'd mention it. There's a swimming area in Riverhaven (lower left corner of RanikMap30) that looks like it might make a decent hunting spot if it had some creatures (and assuming combat doesn't go too haywire in water rooms...I seem to remember that it did at one time, but I don't know for sure). So if you've got some sort of half-baked river monster hanging out back there in need of a home, that might work.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Oh Grejuva! 02/22/2018 02:14 PM CST
>assuming combat doesn't go too haywire in water rooms.

Anything more than ankle deep and the area is not going to be useable for training. Water really screws up combat something fierce.

~Hunter Hanryu
>You know how map makers use to be "Here be dragons"? Old DR code is like that. Except instead of dragons there are Lovecraftian horrors made out of well-intentioned psuedo-code.~Raesh
Re: Oh Grejuva! 02/22/2018 02:15 PM CST

Some thoughts:

- water area in LLaya Tapia - the one with the leeches
- Catherine's court in shard.
- Gorbesh fortress in shard or theren.
- I don't recall, but maybe blackthorn canyon in shard.
- A long stretch of road west of hib.
- Jantspyre river
- Theren keep moat

It may also be time to kick out a few of the creatures that don't see much action right now? Just looking at the northern province alone,
- Thunder ram area.
- Kelpies area
- One of the many copies of dark spirits
- Arbelog area
- Blue feather things that I can't think of the name of.
- That cleric only sun vulture place.
Re: Oh Grejuva! 02/23/2018 11:45 AM CST
<<Anything more than ankle deep and the area is not going to be useable for training. Water really screws up combat something fierce.>>

That's unfortunate. I went and tried to scope out the area a little bit last night, but didn't get past the first room when I found that APPRAISE is arbitrarily disabled there because it's "too dark". So I couldn't check the water level there, and didn't bother going any further. The room layout seemed like it would lend itself well to being a decent hunting area, but it sounds like other issues probably make it a no-go, which stinks.

<<It may also be time to kick out a few of the creatures that don't see much action right now? Just looking at the northern province alone...>>

That also has potential, but I'd be hesitant to eliminate some of those creatures entirely (that's probably partly just because of nostalgia though...I fondly remember getting an RPA for talking to the kelpies when Manipulate first came out and they were monitoring it to make sure it worked right). That doesn't mean there couldn't be room to split some of them up though. The dark spirit area in Ker'leor you mentioned would probably be a good candidate for that. Also maybe some of the wolf spider sections under Theren Keep could turn into something else.

Of course I still wish they'd permanently put some orc slashers and/or savages in Viggu's lair, but that has nothing to do with undead unless they wrangle up some zombie warcats or something. Even the small area that's already accessible would be a welcome hunting addition up there until something more substantial can be built.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Oh Grejuva! 02/23/2018 12:48 PM CST

I suggest the cemetery in Crossing, but underground where the ghouls are. Obviously this isn't an empty area because ghouls, but from what I've seen they are not actively hunted. They are in the rank 26-44 range, with death squirrels right nearby (rank 10-35), with more ghouls up north in Dirge mixed in with Crazed Madmen (15-45). Under the cemetery is a huge area that could definitely be repurposed for the above suggestion - and because it's a cemetery already, would fit well with the theme.

The current drawback with the area is that some of the rooms are lit and some of them aren't. I believe I counted up 20 rooms in total and only four of them are lit (automatically making them better than resuscitants) and you can use HUNT there in all the rooms. I would suggest torches being placed on the walls if this was reworked into an active hunting area, but not required.
Re: Oh Grejuva! 02/23/2018 01:52 PM CST
Please, no necroing 2 year old threads. Lets start a new discussion if there is one to be had!

Thanks
GameMaster Signi