Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/20/2008 11:01 AM CST
Might want to take a look at these.

>jum swa
You leap from the open vulture's beak, down into the swamp below!

You land gracefully on your feet!

A hole suddenly squelches open in the swampy ground. A greater sluagh crawls out, roaring with vicious delight at the sight of fresh prey!

A hole suddenly squelches open in the swampy ground. A greater sluagh crawls out, roaring with vicious delight at the sight of fresh prey!

>Two pinpoints of silver light wink into existance, flaring outward into a roaring inferno of unearthly luminance. Tendrils of shadows begin to whorl about the two globes of silver light, coalescing into the feral body of a greater shadow hound.

And they never stopped arriving. Mind you, I'm loving this. But can you imagine the poor cleric trying to do the MF

quest and seeing..

A greater sluagh (1: solidly balanced) is advancing on you at missile range.
A greater sluagh (2: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A greater sluagh (3: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A greater sluagh (4: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A greater shadow hound (1: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A greater shadow hound (2: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A greater shadow hound (3: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A greater shadow hound (4: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A greater shadow hound (5: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A greater shadow hound (6: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A greater sluagh (5: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at pole weapon range.
A greater shadow hound (7: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A greater shadow hound (8: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A greater sluagh (6: solidly balanced) is moving behind you at missile range.
A greater sluagh (7: solidly balanced) is moving to flank you at pole weapon range.

Good times.

Swamp Priest Zytes
Cleric Of Everild
Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/20/2008 11:03 AM CST
>Bunch of critters

Yay Multi!

~
Raenilar says, "I will deal with the witch in my own good time."
Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/20/2008 01:12 PM CST
Yikes!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/20/2008 04:16 PM CST
Drool. Darn there not being a defense against those claws besides PFE.

Brabs
Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/20/2008 04:57 PM CST
<<Drool. Darn there not being a defense against those claws besides PFE.>>

Um, are you certain about that? I've found that low overall burden (somewhat burdened or lighter) and higher agility/reflex (40+) allows me to dodge the claw on most if not all occasions. PFE is definitly a barrier to the claw but I never even use it any more while traveling through the swamp to the underswamp.

Rehlyn

You gesture at a gargantuan korograth.
A sheet of slippery rich amber ale-hued ice forms beneath a gargantuan korograth!
The gargantuan korograth refuses to fall.
Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/20/2008 06:28 PM CST
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Yummy.

I think Rehlyn's right, I have occasionally managed to dodge claws in the lower swamp (where lesser sluaghs and hounds are) but to be safe it's probably better to have PFE up if you're going to be actively hunting; staying in one room for a while. I don't know if the claws in the greater swamp are harder to dodge.

~Player of "One of the Caels."
Queen of Non-Sequitors
Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/20/2008 06:31 PM CST
actually, i've never dodged the claw in the mid swamp, the one I was speaking of was the deep swamp claw that can actually kill you. Course I dont hunt the mid swamp so it might be that I just havent had a chance to dodge it.

Rehlyn

A sheet of slippery rich amber ale-hued ice forms beneath a gargantuan korograth!
Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/20/2008 06:44 PM CST
Unless you're a Barb, you could grab an Indakar Rattle or 3.
Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/20/2008 08:24 PM CST
I've never been killed by the claw, though it has knocked me down before. I just got up, retreated, and moved to another room. This was with a 100th barb, 150th barb, 100+ warmie though, and I spend a lot of tdp's on reflex.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/21/2008 12:18 PM CST
Hah! A place to use Harm Horde...now I just need the TM to hit them with Harm Horde. Actually makes me think that may be where I go now when I finish up with A'danf and Gryphons. Will make me sad to leave Shard, but suddenly the swamp is viable. See you in a year or so.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/21/2008 08:03 PM CST
perhaps I can explain, there is a claw in the beginning of the inner swamp (this area includes Dyrachis, Slaughs and Greater Boobries), and there is a claw in the mid range, over the curved path before the sickly tree (that includes Slaughs and Lesser Shadow Hounds) that will drop you to the ground no matter your skill, for a static period of time.

It also has a chance of clamping your neck to the ground while lying down for a longer RT. It can repeat, I've seen it happen to me 4-5 times in a row. If the critters can hurt you and are at melee you can run into trouble.

In the deep area (Greater Slaughs, Greater Shadow Hounds) there is a claw that when grasped, you end up within and on your knees. If you dont get up and out fast enough it will close and crush you to death, no escape from that point on. This claw can be dodged with light enough burden and high enough skill.

That is all I know

Rehlyn

Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/22/2008 01:32 AM CST
>>this area includes Dyrachis, Slaughs and Greater Boobries

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/RanikMap31a

He means in this area. I didn't last long enough to see anything other than sluaghs and shadow hounds, though I did encounter boobries over by the pierwalk area and dyrachis in the outer swamp area where the little piggies like to play.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/22/2008 01:07 PM CST

ReplyDeleted

>>In the deep area (Greater Slaughs, Greater Shadow Hounds) there is a claw that when grasped, you end up within and on your knees. >>If you dont get up and out fast enough it will close and crush you to death, no escape from that point on. This claw can be dodged >>with light enough burden and high enough skill.

To add to what you said, it is indeed evasion that determines if you dodge this claw, and the more you have the greater your burden/wounds(yes wounds can get you snagged to) can be and still dodge it. When I first started hunting back there with Swirling winds on I could dodge, with out I was going to get caught. Also escaping skill determines how long the claw stays open, you need at least 40-45 for it to not instantly snap close(meaning the out direction disapears). Not sure if there is a max time your escaping skill can hold it open or if it continues indefinately as I haven't really tried to gain escaping skill too much.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-

Re: Critter gen in the Zaulfung Swamp 11/22/2008 09:24 PM CST
>>Unless you're a Barb, you could grab an Indakar Rattle or 3.

Last I checked I was a barb.

Brabs