Tortured Souls 08/24/2008 07:50 AM CDT
Am I missing something, or are the Tortured Souls in Misenseor Abbey a lot harder than the Souls in Haven Manor?
Re: Tortured Souls 08/24/2008 08:25 AM CDT
They are
Re: Tortured Souls 08/25/2008 10:53 PM CDT
But if I remember right, they pay just as well....

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/07/2008 12:28 AM CST
Time to trot out the old complaints of struggling undead hunters everywhere, yet again. I sincerely hope Dart's taking a look at these guys with the treasure re-write in the offing.

Aspiring undead hunting clerics don't have to take vows of poverty: our hunting options do it for us!

Tortured Souls -- soulstones only as treasure is obnoxious, especially given there have been times when soulstones have been sold at merchants. Move soulstones to a limited supply shop someplace (spit out one an hour or one a day for all I care) and give these guys some coins please. And boxes. Preferably boxes that teach from 25-45 in skill range.

Wind Hounds -- no treasure at all. Yeah, sure, they share spawn with reavers, and reavers are skinnable plus drop boxes/coins, but come on. Wind hounds could be skinnable to tooth or claw, based on their DESCRIBE "Much larger than normal canines, the wind hound stands as tall as a mature Halfling at the shoulder. Its body is an odd composition of howling winds the color of murky icewater, packed tightly into the vague form of a wolf hound with glowing red eyes. While its body may be nothing but violent air currents, its teeth and claws are real enough, and look willing and ready to rend anything that steps in its path!"
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/07/2008 09:30 AM CST
Seconded.
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/07/2008 10:29 AM CST
Thirded. The critter has a bite, so we should be able to take trophies.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/07/2008 01:46 PM CST
I thirdeded it.

I think undead should be better paying/more rewarding overall at all skill levels.

Especially now that I have like 10 Bless scrolls to burn up.

GENT
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/10/2008 01:52 PM CST
Absolutely.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/15/2008 10:26 PM CST
As the old saw goes, risk vs. reward.

Undead get added risk, from various stat/armor/etc. bonuses, and even lower reward compared to normal critters of the same teaching range.

I believe it is a throwback to the era when clerics were meant to be nothing more than corpse empaths.

I sincerely hope that a GM will honestly evaluate the risk vs. reward of undead vs. living critters at some point, and include both the hassle of blessed weapons, undead MR (for non clerics) and the general nastiness of non-living critters.

Souls are goblins, roughly. But though the exp range is the same, the loot is not. That throws off the ratio. Especially since the only 'loot' a cleric can find is not freaking usable by a cleric.

I thought Hounds were changed to have some kind of skinnable loot recently. Either way, they need to be removed from the Reavers area. Nothing like hunting at level, but having your MO trashed and getting killed because of 40 critters enganging that don't teach you.

No. One. Goes. There. For. Hounds. Period. End. Done. Kill.

Yes, I realize it's part of the area's rp. Good, great. But when the 'area rp' actively ruins player enjoyment of an area, it is time for a reevaluation.
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/16/2008 06:20 AM CST
There are plenty of other options just about everywhere, and though the tortured soul loot may not be usable by clerics, it is usable by paladins. Just because I can hunt malchata, doesn't mean that I can pop the boxes, therefore that loot is useless to me, but I still hunt there.

If wind hounds nail you because of the multi, then train more multi, or train stealths to avoid multiple engagements. There are plenty of better options than reavers as well, so if you don't like a particular area, it's easy enough to find another one.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/16/2008 08:29 AM CST
>There are plenty of other options just about everywhere, and though the tortured soul loot may not be usable by clerics, it is usable by paladins. Just because I can hunt malchata, doesn't mean that I can pop the boxes, therefore that loot is useless to me, but I still hunt there.

Logical fallacy. The boxes are 'of use' to you. The loot they contain can be gathered. Heck, you could train and eventually open them yourself.

No one else can ever 'train' to use the soulstones.

>If wind hounds nail you because of the multi, then train more multi, or train stealths to avoid multiple engagements. There are plenty of better options than reavers as well, so if you don't like a particular area, it's easy enough to find another one.

The only other area that suffers this problem is, I believe, thugs with silverfish. The problem is not the multi. The problem is a swarm of low level opponents who do not teach mixed in with at-level critters who do. Ergo you take hits to MO, and possibly wounds, etc. for things which won't teach you.
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/16/2008 12:02 PM CST
The only other area that suffers this problem is, I believe, thugs with silverfish. The problem is not the multi. The problem is a swarm of low level opponents who do not teach mixed in with at-level critters who do. Ergo you take hits to MO, and possibly wounds, etc. for things which won't teach you.

Bloodwolves with bobcats
Marauders with wood trolls
Death Spirits with Dark Fiends

Do I need to go on?

If they are hurting you go elsewhere or train multi.

Brabs
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/16/2008 12:12 PM CST
Vipers and Serpents out Haven's East gate also, with the added downside that the Vipers and Serpents will fight each other, taking away opponents for you to fight.

Crags and Moths in Darkmist have a pretty good level difference and are have their spawns linked. The Larva widens the level range even more, but if you're hunting Moths/Crags they're a non-issue for this conversation.

Mixing different level critters into one area is not uncommon, either deal with the little creatures or find something else to hunt.
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/16/2008 01:44 PM CST
<<Mixing different level critters into one area is not uncommon, either deal with the little creatures or find something else to hunt.

But do people like to hunt in mixed creature areas, especially when the creatures are of different levels? Seems like a bit of a waste of a hunting ground.

Nikpack

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/16/2008 05:23 PM CST
Personally, I always try to choose hunting areas that are single critter areas. It's just so much easier it's silly. The exception being orc raiders/reivers, black leucros/inkhornes though the inkhornes never engage anyway. I'll even hunt the riverhaven goblins just so I don't have to deal with silly hogs.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/16/2008 06:29 PM CST
<<But do people like to hunt in mixed creature areas, especially when the creatures are of different levels? Seems like a bit of a waste of a hunting ground.

Depends on what the creatures are.

Thugs/Silverfish never bothered me.
Vipers/Serpents amused me and made training tert or higher weapons easier.
Reavers/Hounds annoyed me, but that was because hounds are worthless, not because of the of the level difference. Change them to skinnable and it might be worth hunting up there, otherwise Bone Wolves/Zombies are better IMO.
Crags/Moths suck because of the spawn mechanic, never hunted them to train though.

Although we're starting to veer off into General Complaints rather than Undead. Probably should move this if we want to continue the discussion.
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/16/2008 06:32 PM CST
Another example of a multi-critter hunting area done right is the goblin shaman/rams/eels area outside Haven.
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/17/2008 11:28 AM CST
"There are plenty of other options just about everywhere, and though the tortured soul loot may not be usable by clerics, it is usable by paladins. Just because I can hunt malchata, doesn't mean that I can pop the boxes, therefore that loot is useless to me, but I still hunt there."

Of course there are plenty of other options- but not plenty of undead options in that range. The point of the original post was to suggest giving treasure to these non-treasure dropping creatures. Tortured Souls are a decent hunting option for clerics- and one of the very few noncorporeal undead that clerics have a clear advantage with- and they effectively drop no treasure. I thought the original poster had a good point- though frankly I think they could leave the rare soul stone in there and just add normal treasure. Clerics should not get penalized for hunting undead.

"If wind hounds nail you because of the multi, then train more multi, or train stealths to avoid multiple engagements. There are plenty of better options than reavers as well, so if you don't like a particular area, it's easy enough to find another one."

Again, you missed the point of the original poster- give wind hounds treasure or make them skinnable. It was great that wind hounds were changed to be cursed creatures, so clerics could take advantage of our undead spells against them, but clerics(and everyone else) should not be penalized for hunting undead. With Harm Evil, a cleric can probably take out wind hounds fast enough for MO not to be a huge issue- but there is no reward for doing so.

The issue of mixing lower and higher lever creatures is a more general issue, but in regards to the issue of having any creature that is huntable have some form of treasure is pretty basic. I would go further and say that undead should pay more, not less than most creatures, because undead have additional resistances(additional resistance against all magic except holy, noncorporeal need blessed weapons, almost immediate balance regaining) and are generally less desirable to hunt than mundane creatures.

Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/17/2008 12:29 PM CST
>>Of course there are plenty of other options- but not plenty of undead options in that range.

Ghouls
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/17/2008 02:22 PM CST
yeah- I even went and looked at the Beastiary and saw ghouls. That means there is One other option and maybe they have improved but there was a reason I never bothered to hunt ghouls. Looking at the Beastiary I count about 19 creatures that are approximately at the level of Souls, 2 of which are 'evil', and Souls are the only ones of those 19 that have no real treasure/skins.

Not that whether souls have treasure or not affects my playing in any manner. But I remember those days, and it sure would have been nice to actually make some coin while getting that experience.

Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/17/2008 02:59 PM CST
I'd say in my clerical experience so far (which isn't a lot, granted), the souls/ghouls range is quite sucktastic. Souls are great to train, but for all intents and purposes carry no treasure. Ghouls don't seem to gen very well in my experience (never tried to group hunt them though), and while they do carry treasure, they also have the chance to inflict disease any time they land more than a grazing hit, which quickly drains the coffers as well.

It was fun to briefly RP exorcising the manor in Haven, but all-in-all, I was glad when my little cleric could move on from that stage of life.

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Idon Raider - www.idonraiders.com
Re: Wind Hounds and Tortured Souls 11/18/2008 03:52 AM CST
My biggest complaint about wind hounds, which prompted my original post, has nothing to do with multi or how difficult wind hounds may or may not make hunting reavers (they don't make reavers difficult for me, but thanks for caring).

Wind hounds don't drop loot. You can't skin them to acquire loot. They just suck air. Or they blow. Har. Wind puns.

If I wanted to just grind out ranks, great. But hey, I'd like to make money too. And add insult to injury, if you have enough hounds on you, a reaver will stop advancing because of numbers of enemy on you and just leave the room. Not cool. But at least I'm training MO like a good girl, right? :snort:

As for souls, yep, again, hurray -- they don't drop loot except for soulstones. And those are so rare it's hardly even worth mentioning. That floor of Dunshade Manor is basically only (very briefly) populated by people passing through on their way to the upper stories where the undead with loot reside. Some fresh (un)life would do the place some good.

After all, isn't that the point of making suggestions? The hope for improvement? I sincerely doubt adding some paltry skinnable fang or claw to wind hounds and a few copper and/or boxes to souls is going to break the game. And we're all well aware of what the alternatives are for hunting at lower ranges.

But I'm still allowed to suggest improvements! :p