Plague Wraiths 01/09/2007 09:24 AM CST
Couple questions about these...

1. They seem to be immune(?) to non-holy TM. Is this some fluke, or intended? I can't even scratch one while slept with 1000 TM, but I can plink them to death with 10 ranks of composite bow.

2. Their medallions - anything special about them, other than being cursed?
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/09/2007 12:07 PM CST
I talked for awhile with the owner of this area and he is aware of the situation, though I guess he's very busy or not inclined to change it. If you notice, when we cast PD I get a pretty nice damage message, but then when I look at the wraith there is no damage. He told me that there was actually damage done but minor? I didn't get what he was saying since even if it was minor, 10 back to back casts of minor stuff should have showed something. I also don't see how their cloaks can stop a TKT flying at them with insane speed just like an arrow. I suppose I could have understood how velvers do it with their thick hides....sorta. But I can't understand how cloaks stop it but can't stop a speeding arrow.

Player of Pormithius
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/09/2007 12:15 PM CST
I just always assumed that they're coded to be completely immune to non-Holy targetted magic. Every single spell I throw at them is, in one way or another, absorbed by their heavily plated hides. Even the shiny new Mark of Arhat gets absorbed whether I'm holding 10 mana or 50. Stat spells affect them just fine. Ice patch drops them (though they seem to be immune to immobilize/stun). The first half (SvA) of Paeldryth's Wrath whacks them back to missile, but the TM portion gets absorbed. Tingle makes them drop their scythes (which is usually a bad idea, since they will resort to their life-stealing green light thing that they do).

Fuquois
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/09/2007 11:05 PM CST
They are immune to unholy attack.

If you're getting damage messages with no damage being generated, it's not a creature problem. It's a spell problem.

Also, when examining the creature I noticed that normal weapons hurt them ... that shouldn't be the case given they're immune to unholy attack.

-Ssra

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." -Albert Einstein
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/09/2007 11:16 PM CST
>They are immune to unholy attack.

Me likey.... if I get a weapon skill and TM skill past Master level, can I get the title "Master of the Unholy Attack?"

Fuquois
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/09/2007 11:31 PM CST
Well, in this particular case I think the title would be 'Master of NonHoly Attack,' which is not quite as fun. But I think we know what Ssra means.

You are Malkien, a dashing Barbarian. Huzzah!
You are Apis, a legendary Cleric in your own head.
You are Ragesong. What sort of Kaldar is a Bard, anyways, doofus?
You are also Pellazan (WM), Essatariol (Ranger) and running out of sig space.

Re: Plague Wraiths 01/10/2007 12:00 AM CST
I thought some spells like ice patch and mind blast were working on them?
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/10/2007 12:10 AM CST
>I thought some spells like ice patch and mind blast were working on them?

Shhh....

Fuquois
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/10/2007 12:45 AM CST
<hands Ssra the nerf bat, cackling to herself>

>Also, when examining the creature I noticed that normal weapons hurt them ... that shouldn't be the case given they're immune to unholy attack.

~ Mehathi Malk'Irhhnth

La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid ...
Proud supporter of the Southern Tenant Farmer's Union
The Anti-Sue. Your character is the very antithesis of a Mary-Sue. Why are you even taking this test?

Re: Plague Wraiths 01/10/2007 01:34 AM CST
<<I thought some spells like ice patch and mind blast were working on them?>>

Contested spells will probably work against them.

Target magic probably won't. Unblessed melee/ranged, etc. probably shouldn't work either .. but they are. Something strange is up but I'm not going to drop everything just to fix this right now.

-Ssra

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." -Albert Einstein
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/10/2007 05:48 AM CST
<<Also, when examining the creature I noticed that normal weapons hurt them ... that shouldn't be the case given they're immune to unholy attack.

Does this include Maiden's Tresses, Bloodvines, Blight Bats, Blight Ogres and several other creatures in Forfedhdar?

Range Master Dragamar, Recluse of Aesry Sulaenis'a
Brother Urio, Follower of Urrem'tier
Cadet Ltorilu, Up and Coming Paladin
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/10/2007 06:18 AM CST
Marbled Gargs is another creature like this, not sure about the tresses, bloodvines, ogres and bats but I don't think so

Strangeguard

http://www.vurtego.com/
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/10/2007 06:37 AM CST
<<Marbled Gargs is another creature like this, not sure about the tresses, bloodvines, ogres and bats but I don't think so

The ones I listed I'm pretty sure can't be affected by non-holy spells. If they are intended to also not be able to hit by unblessed weapons then it effectively eliminates a good chunk of critters from P5.

Range Master Dragamar, Recluse of Aesry Sulaenis'a
Brother Urio, Follower of Urrem'tier
Cadet Ltorilu, Up and Coming Paladin
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/10/2007 10:44 AM CST
Could we explore this issue somewhat more Ssra? Why immune to non-holy TM but contested spells work? As a cleric, this doesn't affect me that much, but it seems odd that Lightning bolt wouldn't work but Break Branch would. If the point is that non-holy stuff is not supposed to 'harm' these, shouldn't any spell which can cause harm- such as MB, IP- heck even static discharge not work?

Are they corporeal or non-corporeal? (Rience or some cleric could you check with FF?) Really as far as weapons go that should be the issue.

Flavius
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/10/2007 10:59 AM CST
<<As a cleric, this doesn't affect me that much, but it seems odd that Lightning bolt wouldn't work but Break Branch would. If the point is that non-holy stuff is not supposed to 'harm' these, shouldn't any spell which can cause harm- such as MB, IP- heck even static discharge not work?>>

I should have been more clear. Any spell that causes physical damage shouldn't work - that is not holy. Any physical attack that causes physical damage shouldn't work - that is not holy.

Things like dirt throw, mental blast, etc. would probably still work unless a holy check is coded into the spell.

The only magic system that will check for unholy attack immunity is target magic (as displayed by the original post) and ranged/melee combat. Obviously, something is awry with ranged/melee combat and I will examine that.

As for other contested spells I'll discuss that with Dart.

-Ssra

Re: Plague Wraiths 01/10/2007 02:12 PM CST
You can kill them with naphtha, too. :)
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/11/2007 12:44 PM CST
Yeah, they have always been fleshy undead in my encounters...though I always thought it to be rather odd.

I am --- Navak
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/11/2007 05:11 PM CST
Does this mean that TKTing a blessed knife will be able to kill them and finally teach us TM Ssra?

Player of Pormithius
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/12/2007 03:57 AM CST
Any chance of improving the plague wraith gen rate or adding them to another, smaller area too? They are very nice creatures and a good alternative to hierophants, I'd like them to become more huntable.

~Aeth
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/12/2007 07:34 AM CST
Out of curiosity, do the standard plague wraiths have the scorpion vomit the invasion ones have demonstrated?

Syralon
Cleric of Ushnish
Airanie whispers, "are you raising?"
>whisper air I don't deal with corpses.
Airanie whispers, "ah I'm sorry thought you were a cleric, my apologies"
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/12/2007 07:46 AM CST
>>Out of curiosity, do the standard plague wraiths have the scorpion vomit the invasion ones have demonstrated?

I think they do, but they use their special attacks very, very rarely. I saw only one or two special attacks during the several hours total I've hunted them.

~Aeth
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/12/2007 08:07 AM CST
Sounds good. That's probably the neatest special critter attack I've seen in-game.

Syralon
Cleric of Ushnish
Airanie whispers, "are you raising?"
>whisper air I don't deal with corpses.
Airanie whispers, "ah I'm sorry thought you were a cleric, my apologies"
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/12/2007 08:26 AM CST
One of them definitely hit me with some sort of ranged poison-inducing attack. It was incredibly unimpressive. Probably needs a buff.
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/12/2007 12:54 PM CST
They do have their special attacks (including the scorpion vomit and the life-siphon/lesser wraith generator). They seem to only use them rarely as long as they're holding their scythes. If they lose their scythes, though, it seems to be open season for special attacks.

Fuquois
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/15/2007 02:46 PM CST
>>Does this mean that TKTing a blessed knife will be able to kill them and finally teach us TM Ssra?

(signs point to no)

Does this mean that TKTing an unblessed weapon at steeds will be able to kill them and teach TM?

(signs point to no)

I am --- Navak
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/15/2007 06:45 PM CST
>Does this mean that TKTing an unblessed weapon at steeds will be able to kill them and teach TM?

Steeds are cursed, you don't even need a bless to hit them.
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/16/2007 12:27 PM CST
>>Steeds are cursed, you don't even need a bless to hit them.

You would think that wouldn't you.

I am --- Navak
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/16/2007 12:36 PM CST
>>You would think that wouldn't you.

Eidolon steeds?

Unless they've changed them in the past six months, you don't need a blessed weapon to him them. I used to hunt them for HT practice and never had a blessed weapon.

You are Malkien, a dashing Barbarian. Huzzah!
You are Apis, a legendary Cleric in your own head.
You are Ragesong. What sort of Kaldar is a Bard, anyways, doofus?
You are also Pellazan (WM), Essatariol (Ranger) and running out of sig space.
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/16/2007 12:46 PM CST
TKT doesn't work against them unless you have had the item blessed at some point.

I am --- Navak
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/16/2007 02:04 PM CST
>TKT doesn't work against them unless you have had the item blessed at some point.

Odd. I would care more if TKT wasn't such a relatively crappy spell. Good to know though.
Re: Plague Wraiths 01/16/2007 07:37 PM CST
>TKT doesn't work against them unless you have had the item blessed at some point.

Sounds like a bug with TM magic vs. undead, and blessing it buggers the works even further.