Shadowfrost Moths 06/16/2020 11:55 PM CDT
Thank you to all the strike team members who helped with this release. Would it be possible to please increase the spawn rate for this area to 4 creatures per player similar to void moths over in the Dirge area? These appear to have great potential and a lot of fun; however, spawn is very important for a hunting area especially when the creatures die easily which appears to be the case here. Thanks again!

V
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/17/2020 05:36 AM CDT
>>WMBCC: Thank you to all the strike team members who helped with this release. Would it be possible to please increase the spawn rate for this area to 4 creatures per player similar to void moths over in the Dirge area? These appear to have great potential and a lot of fun; however, spawn is very important for a hunting area especially when the creatures die easily which appears to be the case here. Thanks again!

All three tiers of moths in P5 (fuligin, void-black, and shadowfrost) are set to spawn four per player, like the ones in Dirge.

GM Cordulia
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/17/2020 10:49 PM CDT
I hope this isn't coming across as a complaint but more from the perspective of feedback since time was put into this area and appreciated so I just hope it'll be used. I won't pretend to know the mechanics employed to get 4 to spawn per person, but I'm out there right now testing again and it takes a while for the room to fill up to 4 per room even with two people in it. Some hunting areas have the "feel" that as soon as a creature dies, others arrive to take its place quickly.

I just cleared the room and started a timer and this was the result:
* At 60 seconds the first creature arrived
* At 90 seconds the second creature arrived
* At 180 seconds the third creature arrived
* At 195 seconds the fourth creature arrived

I don't know if Dirge's moth spawn are a function of the number of people in the area to have that feel of replenishing the room quickly when a foe falls and another quickly arrives to take its place but it's that quick turnaround that I'm inquiring if it would be possible here as well. Thank you for taking a look and once again for the effort that went into the new area.

V
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/18/2020 08:52 PM CDT
>>WMBCC: I hope this isn't coming across as a complaint but more from the perspective of feedback since time was put into this area and appreciated so I just hope it'll be used. I won't pretend to know the mechanics employed to get 4 to spawn per person, but I'm out there right now testing again and it takes a while for the room to fill up to 4 per room even with two people in it. Some hunting areas have the "feel" that as soon as a creature dies, others arrive to take its place quickly.

Are you experiencing spawn issues with just the new shadowfrost moths or with all moths in the new area?

I just double-checked the settings, and all tiers are set to spawn four per person at a rate that is slightly better than their counterparts in Dirge. We did some testing, and they do appear to be spawning in the appropriate amount.

However, the moths are initially hidden when they spawn, so that might explain why the area looks more depopulated than it is. Additionally, the moths in the new area are a bit more mobile than their counterparts in Dirge. (We prefer them to spawn in various rooms, reducing the odds that they pile up in one person's room.)

GM Cordulia
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/19/2020 01:15 AM CDT
First, thank you all for continuing to look into this.

<Are you experiencing spawn issues with just the new shadowfrost moths or with all moths in the new area?

I had very limited time while I was there in void moths which I wouldn't submit as a fair test case but in less than 10 minutes hunting there it felt similar to shadowfrost moths.

<I just double-checked the settings, and all tiers are set to spawn four per person at a rate that is slightly better than their counterparts in Dirge. We did some testing, and they do appear to be spawning in the appropriate amount.

Is there any way to help them find their way to hunters in the area faster? The Dirge moth areas have more directions in their rooms so I don't know if design factors into it but submitting that as a possibility? Would a center room that connected the other rooms in the new area help in theory?

<However, the moths are initially hidden when they spawn, so that might explain why the area looks more depopulated than it is. Additionally, the moths in the new area are a bit more mobile than their counterparts in Dirge. (We prefer them to spawn in various rooms, reducing the odds that they pile up in one person's room.)

If by more mobile do you mean they spawn more spread out which could lead to a seemingly slower replenishment rate? Or do you mean they move about from room to room more quickly to find the players? Even if they all spawned in a single room and a player was in it, wouldn't the excess over the 4 engaged to the hunter move on in search of the other hunters?

Thanks again for taking a look and the continued dialog here.

V
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/20/2020 12:25 AM CDT
>>WMBCC: Is there any way to help them find their way to hunters in the area faster? The Dirge moth areas have more directions in their rooms so I don't know if design factors into it but submitting that as a possibility? Would a center room that connected the other rooms in the new area help in theory?

It's possible that the layout may contribute to how quickly spawn reaches hunters. I went with a ring, because I had been told that players prefer less scroll from the HUNT output. (The more rooms within range, the more scroll there is when you type HUNT.)

If I am mistaken in that assumption, I am willing to try linking more of the rooms together in Test to see if that helps.

>>If by more mobile do you mean they spawn more spread out which could lead to a seemingly slower replenishment rate? Or do you mean they move about from room to room more quickly to find the players? Even if they all spawned in a single room and a player was in it, wouldn't the excess over the 4 engaged to the hunter move on in search of the other hunters?

By more mobile I mean more likely to spawn within any room in the range (occupied or not). If they're too immobile, it causes spawn to pile up in occupied rooms, making it more likely that a new hunter who enters an empty room will be stuck waiting on creatures piled up in excess of engagement limits to wander out of a crowded room.

GM Cordulia
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/20/2020 01:37 AM CDT
<It's possible that the layout may contribute to how quickly spawn reaches hunters. I went with a ring, because I had been told that players prefer less scroll from the HUNT output. (The more rooms within range, the more scroll there is when you type HUNT.)

I can't speak for the majority; however, I always gag out the HUNT results to limit scroll so for me personally that isn't a factor and works perception better. That said, I'd be happy to jump into test one afternoon or evening to see if adding a center room linking the others would increase the turnaround rate if you're willing.

<By more mobile I mean more likely to spawn within any room in the range (occupied or not). If they're too immobile, it causes spawn to pile up in occupied rooms, making it more likely that a new hunter who enters an empty room will be stuck waiting on creatures piled up in excess of engagement limits to wander out of a crowded room.

I do recall when Jeol Moradu first came out with P5, the first room was the only spawn room and if someone cleared it constantly it would kill the area for everyone else so I get the down side to that design. Conversely, if I'm on one side of the circle and everything spawns on the other, then it could take a while for it to get to me unless the area is packed with hunters with steady kill turnover so RNG may work itself out? I also wonder if it's possible to evaluate each room independently in shadowfrost moths for example on a cyclic timer "if players are greater than 0 and monstercount is equal to say 2 moths alive, then spawn 2 more for this room"? I'm probably grossly oversimplifying it but something along those lines. Nevertheless, perhaps linking may do the trick as I'm thinking back to areas that swarm really well such as gryphons in Rossmans or prerenei in Shard that players flock to. They're smaller geographic tiered/divided areas but linked together within so creatures don't have to travel many rooms to find a hunter to engage.

Thanks again!

V
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/20/2020 04:52 AM CDT
>>WMBCC: I can't speak for the majority; however, I always gag out the HUNT results to limit scroll so for me personally that isn't a factor and works perception better. That said, I'd be happy to jump into test one afternoon or evening to see if adding a center room linking the others would increase the turnaround rate if you're willing.

In Test only, I have added some diagonal links between rooms in fuligin moths. In void-black moths, I added the same links as the ones I added to fuligin umbral plus a horizontal link between the two terminal rooms.

Current (Prime) layout: https://imgur.com/W0MVxCJ

Test layout with added links for the first two tiers: https://imgur.com/NjY2r0k

Let me know which layout feels best for spawn and useability.

>>I also wonder if it's possible to evaluate each room independently in shadowfrost moths for example on a cyclic timer "if players are greater than 0 and monstercount is equal to say 2 moths alive, then spawn 2 more for this room"? I'm probably grossly oversimplifying it but something along those lines.

Changing the core spawn mechanics is beyond the scope of this project, but I can pass the feedback along if linking does not do the trick.

GM Cordulia
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/20/2020 08:49 AM CDT
I tried going to test this morning but the initial sloping path from the road to fulgini moth area doesn't appear to be there so I can't get in to test. I'll check back later today to test it out and thank you for setting this up!
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/20/2020 10:37 AM CDT
>>WMBCC: I tried going to test this morning but the initial sloping path from the road to fulgini moth area doesn't appear to be there so I can't get in to test. I'll check back later today to test it out and thank you for setting this up!

My apologies; it should be there now.

GM Cordulia
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/20/2020 12:49 PM CDT
Void moths were a noticeable improvement to the replenishing feel to the area. On average I'm seeing about a steady 2 creatures in the room with all the killing and once in awhile I'll see the extremes of peaking to 4 of dropping to zero. If I don't attack and opt to dance the room fills to 4 much faster than the last time I was here (~60 seconds vs 180+). It isn't a steady 4 but it's MUCH better. Perhaps with more hunters and the RNG spreading out the distribution of creatures it'll close the gap even further. Thank you!

V
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/20/2020 11:59 PM CDT
Thank you for bringing this up WMBCC, and CORDULIA for looking in to this. I think the spawn of the Dirge versions are a bit of an anomaly because of how many hunters are in the area. When I was in void moths I saw the same thing you did WMBCC and was concerned (no one else was there). Now I understand why the spawn seemed lower. I like the linked rooms that you are doing in test CORDULIA. Again, thank you both!

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/21/2020 08:30 AM CDT
I like seeing long lists in HUNT. I find it correlates strongly with exp (more = better). Furthermore it typically means the hunting area is well trafficked and baring an empath's GS hogging all the spawn, critters will turn over quickly.

I haven't tested these particular linked rooms, but as a blanket observation, clustered and linked hunting area, feel "faster" than linear/looped ones.

Kudos and thanks both to the GM for being open and working on the area and for the players for hopping on DRT and doing some testing.

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/21/2020 07:23 PM CDT
>>In Test only, I have added some diagonal links between rooms in fuligin moths. In void-black moths, I added the same links as the ones I added to fuligin umbral plus a horizontal link between the two terminal rooms.

In response to player feedback, these changes are now live in all instances.

Current layout: https://imgur.com/6Zy6vNp

GM Cordulia
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 06/21/2020 08:07 PM CDT
Cordulia,

Thank you so much for your efforts (and strike team) in the expansion of hunting options for the players as well as the collaborative spirit you've displayed. I look forward to more visits out towards boar clan in the coming days and weeks!

V
Re: Shadowfrost Moths 07/27/2020 01:36 PM CDT
>I went with a ring, because I had been told that players prefer less scroll from the HUNT output. (The more rooms within range, the more scroll there is when you type HUNT.)

This is like a month late, and to start with I'll say I disagree with the original preference (less connected rooms for less hunt scroll), but even taking that as a goal, FYI the design doesn't accomplish this. Max distance you'll see is 6 rooms (Ranger), 5 (Other Survival Primes) 4 (Secondaries) 3 (Tertiaries). Within each ring, no room was more than 3 rooms away from any other, so you'd still see all the rooms using hunt, prior to the cross links...

Not meant to be a complaint, and I want to say listening to the feedback players have provided and willing to make changes like this is 10000% great.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh