Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 09/27/2018 03:45 AM CDT
I've been training at Endrus Serpents for about a week and was told by others that they drop gems on a fairly constant basis, but I personally haven't seen a single gem from them. Am I doing it wrong or perhaps I just never noticed them?

"I, for one, think it's nice to have new folks who are excited and already care enough about the game to offer suggestions. We need more of that." -Solomon

Thanks for being in my corner Solomon, come back soon.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 09/27/2018 07:16 AM CDT
Or you were told wrong.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 09/27/2018 11:00 AM CDT

>I've been training at Endrus Serpents for about a week and was told by others that they drop gems on a fairly constant basis, but I personally haven't seen a single gem from them. Am I doing it wrong or perhaps I just never noticed them?

If you're f2p, the treasure drop rates are different from those of paid accounts.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 09/28/2018 05:13 AM CDT
>If you're f2p, the treasure drop rates are different from those of paid accounts.

This is true, but they aren't 0 for the purpose of regular loot and treasure.

>Or you were told wrong.

While someone may have told me wrong, I suppose everyone is being told wrong since the Endrus Serpent is listed as a creature that drops gems.
https://elanthipedia.play.net/Endrus_serpent

As I said, I've been training on Endrus Serpents For A Week and have found ZeRo gems. For a creature listed as having gems to NEVER drop gems I find to be an issue worth a couple seconds of investigation. If just so the elanthipedia can be properly updated to reflect accurate knowledge as is its goal.

"I, for one, think it's nice to have new folks who are excited and already care enough about the game to offer suggestions. We need more of that." -Solomon

Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 09/28/2018 02:02 PM CDT
Endrus Serpents drop gems for paid subs. They don't for f2p.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 09/29/2018 10:41 AM CDT
There is no distinction in the Free To Play section that states that some creatures don't drop gems for F2P characters, is there a talk or a link to another section to verify that Endrus Serpents only drop gems for Paid Subs?

Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 09/29/2018 02:40 PM CDT
The Free to Play section notes that you will see reduced payout. In the case of Endrus Serpents, f2p is allowed to skin the serpents but don't receive gem drops.

If you really don't believe the many people telling you this, find someone with a paid sub and get them to kill and loot an Endrus serpent.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/01/2018 07:25 AM CDT
>If you really don't believe the many people

Politely, there aren't "many people" making this claim.

>In this case

Reduced payout =/= 0 payout. Skins =/= Gems. Is there some coding you see that I don't that indicates that Endrus Serpents do not give Gems to F2P as a natural state of being, or are you just making this up? Do you have other examples of creatures that say they give Gems when you loot them but they do not for F2P characters?

Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/01/2018 03:32 PM CDT
>>Reduced payout =/= 0 payout. Skins =/= Gems. Is there some coding you see that I don't that indicates that Endrus Serpents do not give Gems to F2P as a natural state of being, or are you just making this up? Do you have other examples of creatures that say they give Gems when you loot them but they do not for F2P characters?

I haven't brought a f2p out to hunt dobek moruryns but I suspect that you'll find you can skin them but they don't drop gems.

I can absolutely assure you, however, that a paid sub will get gems off endrus serpents and a f2p will not.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/02/2018 04:42 PM CDT
But how and why are you sure if there is no indication otherwise? Perhaps if you would go to Endrus Serpents and hunted a bit and showed me the Gems you obtained via log that'd be most convincing.

Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/02/2018 06:56 PM CDT
>But how and why are you sure if there is no indication otherwise? Perhaps if you would go to Endrus Serpents and hunted a bit and showed me the Gems you obtained via log that'd be most convincing.

It's not really anyone else's job to do that.

You could pay for a subscription and try that.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/03/2018 02:45 PM CDT
>>But how and why are you sure if there is no indication otherwise? Perhaps if you would go to Endrus Serpents and hunted a bit and showed me the Gems you obtained via log that'd be most convincing.

I really don't care about your problems any more. You've done an excellent job convincing me that helping you is a complete waste of time.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/03/2018 08:40 PM CDT
YOU MISSED A PERFECT CHANCE TO MAKE A PUN BASED ON YOUR NAME.

Futile.

Dangit.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/04/2018 07:42 AM CDT
>But how and why are you sure if there is no indication otherwise? Perhaps if you would go to Endrus Serpents and hunted a bit and showed me the Gems you obtained via log that'd be most convincing.

As someone with both a F2P account and a paid account, I can confirm the difference is F2P and paid.

Well, I hunted them for about ~10 hours on my free account and never saw a single gem drop, so if they do drop gems, it's so fleetingly rare that it may as well be 0.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/09/2018 10:09 AM CDT

>I really don't care about your problems any more. You've done an excellent job convincing me that helping you is a complete waste of time.

I apologize at your frustration, I'm certain you are trying to help. However, as I read it, all you have done is provide conjecture and supposition, without an inch of proof or fact of what you are saying, neither supported by any shown proven personal experience nor through the availability of information.

I was honestly hoping that a DR-Staff who can take 5 seconds to look at the creatures settings in the system would provide the information at this point so it could be concrete and clear that the creature was and is working as intended.

>Well, I hunted them for about ~10 hours on my free account and never saw a single gem drop, so if they do drop gems, it's so fleetingly rare that it may as well be 0.

What were your results with your paid account hunting attempt? You didn't mention that, I apologize for nit pickery, but its all in the pursuit of knowledge.

Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/09/2018 12:49 PM CDT
It took more than 5 seconds to track down, but the value of Endrus Serpent loot drops below the minimum threshhold for a gem when you’re F2P, so it can’t generate a gem. Since it only awards gems, it doesn’t generate treasure in this case.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/09/2018 05:06 PM CDT
For future reference, if you don't want to have a public conversation with the regular players, just email staff.

It's less frustrating for us, when you insist on arguing every single word and demanding double-triple blind experiments.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/09/2018 05:43 PM CDT
>For future reference, if you don't want to have a public conversation with the regular players, just email staff.

I have done that, they constantly tell me to ask on the forums. I apologize if you think I insist on arguing, but rather i'm just hoping only the people with the 100% facts or willing to find the facts 100% are going to answer. Half-answers with half-knowledge help no one.

> The value of Endrus Serpent loot drops below the minimum threshhold for a gem when you’re F2P, so it can’t generate a gem.

Thank you for looking this up, I really appreciate this!

Do you suppose the threshold could be lifted? I never saw it posted anywhere that the value of gem drops would depreciate for F2P players in any of the listed information, could you point me out to where it is? Was it ever listed? Its not to be rude, its just whats the point of gems in treasure boxes but not gems on the creature itself? Are gem drops more valuable then boxed gem drops? I've gotten plenty of 50 kronar gems from lout boxes, how low is the threshold? Can the threshold be risen without effecting the overall value?

I'm moving off Endrus Serpents soon, this inquiry isn't for my sake but the sake of future players who will eventually also end up at Endrus Serpents, read the creature page, and wonder why they aren't getting any gems when there isn't any listed information that suggests F2P wouldn't get gems because there is a forced devalue of gems on creature dropped gems (though its not something that it says is an On Purpose feature in the F2P information and restrictions section of e-pedia).

Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/10/2018 06:35 AM CDT
It says reduced payout
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/10/2018 07:09 AM CDT

>It says reduced payout

What says reduced payout?

>Loot
>Free players still get loot, including the chance for special items. A pass will allow subscriber-like rates, amounts, and chances at scrolls. See: Free Account Boosters.
>There is a (rare) chance, ONLY available to free players, to get a short-duration pass when LOOTing creatures. This is a way to experience upgrades from the SimuCoins Store without spending money. The loot system is not a reliable means of getting passes (and certainly not for getting any particular pass).
>STUDY a pass or Free Account Boosters to examine the details. REDEEM or CLAIM pass to get access.

Not in the Loot section of the E-Pedia. Reduced rates is not a term that equals 0, and any instance where it inadvertently becomes 0 it must be an error.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Free_accounts

Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/10/2018 12:42 PM CDT
TThe answer you were given was endrus serpents don't pay f2p. It confirmed your experience and multiple users.

You continued to argue that people providing answers needed exacting studies while conducting none of your own.

So yes. You're arguing every single word.

If gms tell you to use the forums it means users can answer and that they don't have time to investigate the code for your exacting requirements. Especially if you email like you post.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/10/2018 01:47 PM CDT
>Reduced rates is not a term that equals 0

It doesn’t always mean reduction to zero, but it doesn’t eliminate the possibility of reduction to zero.

>any instance where it inadvertently becomes 0 it must be an error

Endrus Serpents still generate revenue, because they are skinnable. So the payout of this creature is not reduced to zero.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? ::NUDGE:: 10/10/2018 05:47 PM CDT
Let's try and keep from bickering at one another. I think GM Javac has answered the question here.

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/15/2018 06:13 PM CDT
Thanks for the info on how FTP loot works, I found it interesting.
Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/23/2018 12:34 AM CDT
Well it was never a question about whether or not their capacity to generate revenue was reduced to 0 or otherwise, just whether or not their Gem dropping capabilities was broken. Thank you for providing concrete answers on the subject, I appreciate you explaining the system of Gem value reduction for F2P's that was not explained on the F2P information page. Do you happen to know how far up the "ladder" until the reduction of Gem drops is above 0?

Re: Are Endrus Serpent loots broken? 10/23/2018 10:39 AM CDT
It will vary from creature to creature, but Endrus Serpents are just barely under the line, IIRC.

Javac
That one guy

Flexing my muscles for the flex 11/08/2018 12:27 AM CST
DR-JAVAC, you may be the best to answer, but i'm curious how Flexing works. I understand the concept, but it seems like in practice, I end up on the short end of the stick.

As a Warrior Mage, my weapon and magic skills tend to outclass my armor skills, so when i encounter monsters that flex, like in the Corn Maze or a quest, I cannot handle them. It feels like my offense and defense matches their, so it's easy to hit each other and hard to defend. This ends up with me taking stunning hits, bleeding hits, and/or large vitality hits. I end up killing maybe 1 or 2 before i'm nearly dead or in need of healing.

The only time i can think that it isn't a problem is during the Prison Riot: The Aftermath quest. Those mobs are easy (the ones for my task), but i tried Beyond the Barrier and the normal zombies were harder to kill than bosses (in a full fight, 3 mobs were hitting harder than boss). Corn maze is the most recent, as i tried again this year and it didn't end well, but i could blame that on them swarming in numbers greater than 4 (at least when i tried).

So there's just some confusion. I'm trying to get my weapon and armor skills to be about the same, so i can test that out. However, I didn't know debilitation was a part of the calculation, so offense might be a bit higher than i'm expecting.
Re: Flexing my muscles for the flex 11/08/2018 01:28 AM CST
>As a Warrior Mage, my weapon and magic skills tend to outclass my armor skills, so when i encounter monsters that flex, like in the Corn Maze or a quest, I cannot handle them. It feels like my offense and defense matches their, so it's easy to hit each other and hard to defend. This ends up with me taking stunning hits, bleeding hits, and/or large vitality hits. I end up killing maybe 1 or 2 before i'm nearly dead or in need of healing.

>The only time i can think that it isn't a problem is during the Prison Riot: The Aftermath quest. Those mobs are easy (the ones for my task), but i tried Beyond the Barrier and the normal zombies were harder to kill than bosses (in a full fight, 3 mobs were hitting harder than boss). Corn maze is the most recent, as i tried again this year and it didn't end well, but i could blame that on them swarming in numbers greater than 4 (at least when i tried).

>So there's just some confusion. I'm trying to get my weapon and armor skills to be about the same, so i can test that out. However, I didn't know debilitation was a part of the calculation, so offense might be a bit higher than i'm expecting.

I'm not Javac, but I can offer a bit of advice as a long-time WM main. Please excuse me if I'm telling you stuff you already know.

The first question is how far ahead your magic skills are, and if you're hunting in two different areas. If that's the case, that could be part of your problem. As a WM, it should be possible to arrange things so that you can hunt in the same area for most of your career and very rarely have TM be slowed down. If you train TM in a place that you can't survive for an extended amount of time, that's part of your problem.

Next is the issue with flexing mechanics. So, you're always going to be in a rough spot if you're not using a primary skill to deal your damage. Because of that, I highly recommend using a TM focus and purely TM to kill things. You'll get significantly better results in a flexing situation than if you were using weapons + TM together. When I'm hunting the flexing creatures in the corn maze, I'm typically using Rimefang, Dragon's Breath, and Chain Lighting. If you're stationary you can sub Fire Rain for Rimefang and if you're quick you can add Magnetic Ballista. Against single target foes you can use Blufmor Garaen instead of an AoE spell and then setup your attack with a debilitation spell so that you can attack them while they're stunned. If you can use debilitation, or you just kill them too quickly, they won't do too much damage to you. You should make sure that you're buffing TM with Substratum at all times for this.

Finally, let's talk about defenses. On flexing creatures I often get dinged if I'm not running my defensive buffs, but do ok by just killing them fast enough. With buffs on I have no real issues. For optimal performance, run Sure Footing, Swirling Winds, Aegis of Granite, and Manifest Force. Make sure you have no burden and your shield is fully repaired and you're wearing a parry stick. Wear lighter armor - I like the balance that chain puts you at. When I'm wearing my serious business armor I end up with a maneuvering hindrance of 4. I wouldn't go higher than 6.

I hope that helps. If you have more questions I'd be happy to dig into it further with you, either here or on Discord at Saragos#9939.

- Saragos
Re: Flexing my muscles for the flex 11/08/2018 10:52 AM CST
Those are great strategies for a Warrior Mage.

Anyone have similar ideas for a Trader? Mine is 155th circle but combats are kinda weak since, you know, trader:

Shield Usage: 545 94% clear (0/34) Light Armor: 528 88% clear (0/34)
Chain Armor: 518 17% clear (0/34) Brigandine: 303 85% clear (0/34)
Plate Armor: 531 74% clear (0/34) Defending: 534 53% clear (0/34)
Parry Ability: 527 50% clear (0/34) Small Edged: 525 09% clear (0/34)
Crossbow: 458 20% clear (0/34) Light Thrown: 441 41% clear (0/34)
Heavy Thrown: 158 49% clear (0/34) Brawling: 530 52% clear (0/34)
Offhand Weapon: 441 52% clear (0/34) Melee Mastery: 536 27% clear (0/34)
Missile Mastery: 501 17% clear (0/34) Lunar Magic: 385 17% clear (0/34)
Attunement: 260 00% clear (0/34) Arcana: 385 46% clear (0/34)
Targeted Magic: 384 56% clear (0/34) Augmentation: 348 06% clear (0/34)
Debilitation: 350 16% clear (0/34) Utility: 246 51% clear (0/34)
Warding: 260 32% clear (0/34) Sorcery: 139 86% clear (0/34)
Evasion: 544 48% clear (0/34)

Strength : 55 Reflex : 85 +1
Agility : 70 Charisma : 60
Discipline : 58 Wisdom : 75
Intelligence : 86 Stamina : 65

Having all offense tert is really painful.
Re: Flexing my muscles for the flex 11/08/2018 01:11 PM CST

> Having all offense tert is really painful.

for flexing creatures, isn't that actually a benefit? You'll have higher base stats, magic and physical weaponry roughly in the same place, and you could use decent TM with a TM foci if starting fresh/basic weaponry if not.
Re: Flexing my muscles for the flex 11/08/2018 01:31 PM CST
That definitely helps Saragos, at least strategy-wise. i'm just trying to get a better understanding of flexing, like what skills are included, is it averaged, does it just use the highest stat, etc. That's more on the technical curiosity though.

There are a lot of unknowns to plan for, but i do prefer chain armor and buff with Sure Footing, Swirling Winds, Mantle of Flame, and Y'ntrel Sechra. I will be adding Aegis of Granite when i get 2 more spell slots, and i'll probably try Manifest Force by temp learning it from the scroll.

I tend to use Thunder Clap and Ice Patch for my debilitation, and either Rimefang or Rain of Fire for my cyclic. I'll probably have to hangback and try to TM more, but i don't have a TM focus. I tend to use my 2HE weapon, since it does a lot of damage and has the electric flare enchantment on it (my previous 2HE was less powerful and no enchantment). Then i try to use something like fireball to do damage to all the enemies in the room as well. managing mana usually requires me to do burst damage or go at a slower, steady pace.

I just like to melee and use magic if i can, so when i'm forced to only use magic, it feels boring. That's why i'm trying to get a better understanding of how i can better prepare my skills for flexing.
Re: Flexing my muscles for the flex 11/08/2018 08:05 PM CST

I too would love to more information on how flex mobs work. At best, I was able to find this post from Javac: http://oneepicknight.com/forums/DragonRealms/Creatures%20of%20Elanthia/General%20Discussions%20-%20Creatures/thread/1844069?get_newest=true

> Re: Mechanical Mice on 09/24/2018 08:55 PM CDTLinks-arrows 11
> Reply Reply
> >I've noticed the mice tend to flex a bit too hard on offense (which is a bit of an issue when four are on you), and a bit too easy on defense (which is a shame if you kill them too fast!)

> I've made some tweaks to how mice, and other creatures, flex. Previously, PM, Attunement, and Stealth would increase the flex level if they were higher than weapons and/or defenses. Now it should only take into account combat skills, which now also includes Debilitation.
Re: Flexing my muscles for the flex 11/08/2018 11:27 PM CST
>>Anyone have similar ideas for a Trader?

I took my Trader to fight the beltunumshi and it went decently well, though nowhere near as fast as with my Bard. I was able to survive easily, but dealing damage was the issue. My strategy was to use Arbiter's Stylus and my highest weapon. Unfortunately the main limiting factor for Trader is attunement; I literally could not cast anything other than ARS, as even with just ARS I was running out of mana regularly.

If you really want to maximize it, I'd say get Aura Sight cast on you for the +Attunement, and pay attention to the mana levels at the time you want to go. If you get conditions right, you might be able to layer ARS with Crystal Dart or (my preference) Strange Arrow. If you want to be totally self-sufficient, get Aura Sight on a scroll and try with a TM focus. But if you're talking to a Moon Mage for AUS anyway, try to get predictions on your highest weapon and TM.

There's also the Righteous Wrath wand, or sorcerous scrolls like RW, Tailwind.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Flexing my muscles for the flex 11/09/2018 09:51 PM CST
>>Anyone have similar ideas for a Trader? Mine is 155th circle but combats are kinda weak since, you know, trader:

Shield Usage: 545 94% clear (0/34) Light Armor: 528 88% clear (0/34)
Chain Armor: 518 17% clear (0/34) Brigandine: 303 85% clear (0/34)
Plate Armor: 531 74% clear (0/34) Defending: 534 53% clear (0/34)
Parry Ability: 527 50% clear (0/34) Small Edged: 525 09% clear (0/34)
Crossbow: 458 20% clear (0/34) Light Thrown: 441 41% clear (0/34)
Heavy Thrown: 158 49% clear (0/34) Brawling: 530 52% clear (0/34)
Offhand Weapon: 441 52% clear (0/34) Melee Mastery: 536 27% clear (0/34)
Missile Mastery: 501 17% clear (0/34) Lunar Magic: 385 17% clear (0/34)
Attunement: 260 00% clear (0/34) Arcana: 385 46% clear (0/34)
Targeted Magic: 384 56% clear (0/34) Augmentation: 348 06% clear (0/34)
Debilitation: 350 16% clear (0/34) Utility: 246 51% clear (0/34)
Warding: 260 32% clear (0/34) Sorcery: 139 86% clear (0/34)
Evasion: 544 48% clear (0/34)

Strength : 55 Reflex : 85 +1
Agility : 70 Charisma : 60
Discipline : 58 Wisdom : 75
Intelligence : 86 Stamina : 65

Your trader is considerably higher than mine, but mind solo-hunts a lot. Fluoresce makes a huge difference in how effective my attacks are. Also, mana hasn't been an issue since I got avtalia array.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy