Squatters 11/13/2015 02:07 AM CST
Has anyone else seen an upswing of people who feel free to barge in where you're hunting and set up shop as if you weren't there? Sometimes they won't respond to any attempt to talk to them so there's no RPing anything.

Since I'm backtraining weapons in a critter that doesn't teach me defenses and that swarms well, it doesn't impact me too much, but it is annoying.
Re: Squatters 11/13/2015 05:30 AM CST
Tell them if they continue to kill your creatures you'll be forced to kill them. Then do so and leave them lay.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Squatters 11/13/2015 08:51 AM CST

> Tell them if they continue to kill your creatures you'll be forced to kill them. Then do so and leave them lay.

Isn't it current policy that no one owns a room?

I agree that it's inappropriate in DR's culture, and maybe the policy should change, if it is that way. I just wouldn't go around killing people for being in the same space you are if you could get a warning for doing so.
Re: Squatters 11/13/2015 11:23 AM CST
I would
Re: Squatters 11/13/2015 12:12 PM CST
Or to turn this around another way, if I came into a room you are already in and started taking your kills, I would not blame you for killing me if I was unresponsive to your requests to leave.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Squatters 11/13/2015 12:23 PM CST

> Or to turn this around another way, if I came into a room you are already in and started taking your kills, I would not blame you for killing me if I was unresponsive to your requests to leave.

I wouldn't either, but someone may still report them for doing it.
Re: Squatters 11/13/2015 02:27 PM CST
Stealing the treasure of someone else's kill grants consent, and it's not hard for that to happen when someone does what the OP described. So once that happens you can kill them with no consequences.
Re: Squatters 11/13/2015 02:50 PM CST
I wouldn't kill someone for just coming into the room, but I hope I wouldn't get a warning for killing someone who tried to grab my creatures. It would seem to be against the PvP as valid RP thinking that's gotten so popular lately. Maybe I'll try it next time though to see what happens.
Re: Squatters 11/13/2015 03:51 PM CST
>>Volcanus: Isn't it current policy that no one owns a room?

Yes, but taking your kills and/or loot -- especially after being asked to stop -- can give rise to consent.

NEWS 5 25

If you don't get out of my room, I'll kill you. Consent?
NO -- No one owns a room. If I'm in your private home, or inn room, that's one thing. But if I'm in your favorite hunting room, tough noogies. You can't kill someone for this, even if you DO tell them to go away and they refuse. The exception comes if I'm also stealing your kills or treasure, or if I'm crossing other lines, as by provoking or harassing you.

Please note that mining is analogous to hunting. While no one owns a room, as previously noted, things change when you are actively hunting/mining in the room. If you're hunting/mining in a room and someone comes in and begins poaching your kills/treasure/mining you are within your rights to tell them to take a hike. If they choose not to listen to you, you may feel free to put policy to work for you and exact your revenge in the manner of your choosing.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Squatters 11/13/2015 04:27 PM CST
All that aside, it's not an upswing. It's about the same amount of people doing that as it's always been. There've been people doing this lazy "I don't care to change my scripts to account for other people" thing for years and years. I hate it because it messes with stealth training. DR just doesn't accommodate that. Company might be nice otherwise, but every time I hide, my critters retreat.
Re: Squatters 11/13/2015 04:31 PM CST
Seconding the sentiment that I wish hunting with partners as a stealth user was easier. :(

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Squatters 11/13/2015 08:04 PM CST
>>Yes, but taking your kills

What counts as "your kills" though? Sure, if you're fighting orc A and they kill orc A, that's a kill steal. But if you're fighting orc A and they kill orc B, that's not a kill steal. At least with how I understand what a kill steal is.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Squatters 11/13/2015 11:45 PM CST
>What counts as "your kills" though?

I wouldn't mind clarification on this, since I always interpreted that to mean 'stuff engaged with you' and not just the ones you are actively murdering.

Your search-fu is pig dung!
Re: Squatters 11/14/2015 09:53 AM CST
>>What counts as "your kills" though? Sure, if you're fighting orc A and they kill orc A, that's a kill steal. But if you're fighting orc A and they kill orc B, that's not a kill steal. At least with how I understand what a kill steal is.

I would agree that's how I understand it too. One exception for barbarians, in my mind, is that if I blow my warhorn to lure critters, any generated by my action are mine to kill unless I give consent. It costs me to call 'em, it'll cost you if you kill 'em.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Squatters 11/14/2015 12:17 PM CST
>>One exception for barbarians, in my mind, is that if I blow my warhorn to lure critters, any generated by my action are mine to kill unless I give consent. It costs me to call 'em, it'll cost you if you kill 'em.

Can you tell which are generated from the horn and which are generated from natural spawn?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Squatters 11/15/2015 08:15 PM CST
Yes, there's a message about them arriving agitated or something.