gap for non-undead/construct critters without skins 10/14/2020 05:01 PM CDT
At least based on the data in epedia, it looks like there's a massive gap in the critter ladder when it comes to non-undead/construct critters without skins. Please see below.

Critter Level
Kra'hei 70
Lun'Shele hunter 72
Mountain giant 72
Orc clan-chief 74
Robed Dragon Priest(ess) 76
Dragon Priest zealot 76
Dragon Priest sentinel 76
Dragon Priest juggernaut 76
Dragon Priest purifier 76
Dragon Priest crone 76
Lun'Shele trekhalo 77
Sky giant 105
Xala'shar thrall 138
Xala'shar magus 140

Right now I hunt mountain giants because clan-chiefs are rare, zealots spawn slowly, I believe naphtha is still wonky so I'm avoiding sentinels (also think they spawn slow), juggernaut bombs are a bit obnoxious when trying to just train vs an invasion situation, purifiers spawn slowly, crone spawn pivuh which get in the way, treks spawn slowly (also a bit of a slog to get there), and well, then sky giants are miles away.

I know the go-to option for many folks at my level are celps until maulers which then go into sky giants, but I'm trying to avoid skinning critters because I train thanatology (and skinning kinda disrupts that) and I'm not overly enthused about reaching maulers for similar reasons! Plus, the first tier of celps is in a justice zone.

I know a lot of this is just not feeling that anything is just right for me, but I really had no issues hunting with these specifics until the step beyond mountain giants/dragon priests. I'm surprised that there's such a dearth of living humanoids to fight past that point.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: gap for non-undead/construct critters without skins 10/15/2020 11:24 AM CDT
I don't really get how skinning disrupts thanatology, but more importantly, why do you need non-undead? Is that some sort of RP thing? Because DISSECTing undead (like, say, Zombie Stompers) teaches straight thanatology.
Re: gap for non-undead/construct critters without skins 10/15/2020 07:12 PM CDT
>>I don't really get how skinning disrupts thanatology, but more importantly, why do you need non-undead? Is that some sort of RP thing? Because DISSECTing undead (like, say, Zombie Stompers) teaches straight thanatology.

Half RP/Half because I'm trying to work on my hidden butchering ranks, but also because I feel like stompers have a pretty dismal spawn rate and I'm also not ready for maulers yet.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: gap for non-undead/construct critters without skins 10/15/2020 07:33 PM CDT
Perhaps it's different in plat, but in prime stompers are tied for best spawn in the game (up there with things like grass eels, prereni, and endrus serpents). The only real drawbacks to stompers, imo, are that tuskies are supremely annoying if you're actually in stomper-range as opposed to backtraining, and boar clan is a bit of a schlep if you're not doing anything else out there. But other undead (germish'din?) might also work for you, at least thanatologically speaking.

Another option, of course, is to pick a skinnable mob in your range and just not skin your kills.
Re: gap for non-undead/construct critters without skins 10/16/2020 09:35 AM CDT
>>Perhaps it's different in plat, but in prime stompers are tied for best spawn in the game (up there with things like grass eels, prereni, and endrus serpents). The only real drawbacks to stompers, imo, are that tuskies are supremely annoying if you're actually in stomper-range as opposed to backtraining

Spawn's not too hot the last few times I tried being there and the tuskies are obnoxious (but generally able to be handled).

Prime/Plat difference might have to do with the number of players in the area in Prime, because I think this is one of those zones that doesn't explicitly spawn critters in the same room as you, but I assume that if you have multiple players in a zone at the same time, it's a bit inconsequential (but if I'm the only one there, and they don't spawn right in my room, it's a bigger issue).