High End Magic and Void Moths 05/13/2014 05:54 PM CDT
Here is some additional testing with specific stats and skills against void moths. It seems odd that debilitation magic has absolutely no affect on Void Moths. Melete hinted at the fact that it might be caused by the Moths much higher stats.

Short version: Capped casts of BB or COTW has no effect on Void Moths even with 130% potency spell stance.

Comments: Is this an issue of percentage scaling getting out of control at the high end? Does the same thing happen if player A has 70 in all stats and Player B has 100 in all stats, and player A cannot touch player B?

Long Version

Target: Void Moths

Stats
Strength : 100 Reflex : 100 +
Agility : 100 + Charisma : 94
Discipline : 100 Wisdom : 100 +
Intelligence : 100 Stamina : 100

Magic Skills
Life Magic: 1298
Attunement: 1339
Debilitation: 1108

Buffs
You sense the Hands of Lirisa spell upon you, which will last for about six roisaen.
You sense the Claws of the Cougar spell upon you, which will last for about six roisaen.
You sense the Cheetah Swiftness spell upon you, which will last until you fail to provide 20 mana for it.
You sense the Instinct spell upon you, which will last for about six roisaen.
You sense the Sense of the Tiger spell upon you, which will last for about five roisaen.
You sense the See the Wind spell upon you, which will last for about five roisaen.
You sense the Earth Meld spell upon you, which will last for about six roisaen.
You sense the Wisdom of the Pack spell upon you, which will last for about twenty-three roisaen.
You sense the Skein of Shadows spell upon you, which will last for about five roisaen.
You remember a way to combine the weaves of the Cast symbiosis with another spell.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

Spell Stance
Your spell Potency is currently at 100%.
Your spell Duration is currently at 100%.
Your spell Integrity is currently at 100%.

Casts

Branch Break: 110 mana
You narrow your eyes and, with furrowed brow, grimace at a void-black umbral moth.
You deftly contribute enough of your harnessed streams to maximize the pattern's potential.
Small globes of blue and orange light appear and dart upward like fireflies.
Creating an ominous shadow, a large limestone rock falls from above!
Unfortunately, a void-black umbral moth manages to avoid your magic, the rock shattering against the ground before being absorbed back into the earth.

Roundtime: 2 sec.

Curse of the Wild: 110 mana
You gesture at a void-black umbral moth.
You deftly contribute enough of your harnessed streams to maximize the pattern's potential.
With a flash of green light, writhing vines of dark green ivy burst into being, consuming the void-black moth in a rustling, living shell!
The vines suddenly wither to a brittle brown, cracking and falling away lifelessly to no effect.

Spell Stance
Your spell Potency is now set at 130%.
Your spell Duration is now set at 85%.
Your spell Integrity is now set at 85%.

Branch Break: 110 mana
You narrow your eyes and, with furrowed brow, grimace at a void-black umbral moth.
Small globes of blue and orange light appear and dart upward like fireflies.
Creating an ominous shadow, a large limestone rock falls from above!
Unfortunately, a void-black umbral moth manages to avoid your magic, the rock shattering against the ground before being absorbed back into the earth.

Curse of the Wild: 110 mana
You gesture at a void-black umbral moth.
With a flash of green light, writhing vines of dark green ivy burst into being, consuming the void-black moth in a rustling, living shell!
The vines suddenly wither to a brittle brown, cracking and falling away lifelessly to no effect.

Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/13/2014 06:14 PM CDT
>Is this an issue of percentage scaling getting out of control at the high end? Does the same thing happen if player A has 70 in all stats and Player B has 100 in all stats, and player A cannot touch player B?

Yes, and yes (with debilitation spells/abilities).
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/13/2014 06:18 PM CDT
>Short version: Capped casts of BB or COTW has no effect on Void Moths even with 130% potency spell stance.

If you're capping a spell, spell stance is irrelevant. There's enough mana to fully allocate to all three attributes, and you can't boost them beyond full.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/13/2014 07:00 PM CDT
>>Is this an issue of percentage scaling getting out of control at the high end? Does the same thing happen if player A has 70 in all stats and Player B has 100 in all stats, and player A cannot touch player B?

>Yes, and yes (with debilitation spells/abilities).

I also had Wisdom of the Pack up during the test, which should be at least 15% boost. Which would have brought my Wisdom to 115 comparatively to the Void Moths 125 in stats. This would have been closer to comparing a player with 85 in all stats compared to one with 100 in all. Something still seems off with these contests.
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/13/2014 07:08 PM CDT
>I also had Wisdom of the Pack up during the test, which should be at least 15% boost.

Clarification, Wisdom of the Pack boosts Wisdom, and the Branch Break contest is magic vs reflex. Offensive magic contest uses Wisdom as primary stat.
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/13/2014 07:25 PM CDT
>>I also had Wisdom of the Pack up during the test, which should be at least 15% boost.

So in this instance its Wisdom 115, Int 100, Disc 100 vs Reflex 125, Agility 125, Intelligence 125. That's a huge advantage to the Moths.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/13/2014 08:51 PM CDT
For what it's worth, I'm not opposed to turning the moths' stats down if it turns out that players who have similar skills cannot/do not have stats high enough to successfully land debil spells on them. The thing I'm most curious about is if this is a problem for everyone who hunts them, or not.

If the moths' stats are just too high, then we should probably change how creature stats are allocated at the high end because that will be a problem for all creatures with skills that high, unless the creator manually adjusts them down.

Melete
Nature, it seems, is the popular name
for milliards and milliards and milliards
of particles playing their infinite game
of billiards and billiards and billiards.
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/13/2014 09:16 PM CDT
I think lowering the stats is a good idea. Stat points post 100 are just too wildly expensive for characters to compete with that scaling. At 100 base everything, I can't effect them with any capped MM debilitation spells either.
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/13/2014 09:28 PM CDT
>The thing I'm most curious about is if this is a problem for everyone who hunts them, or not.

For me it is, but as weapons secondary, its already gonna be several years before I do more than dance with them.

; )
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/14/2014 12:20 AM CDT
> If the moths' stats are just too high, then we should probably change how creature stats are allocated at the high end because that will be a problem for all creatures with skills that high, unless the creator manually adjusts them down.

Someone double-check my calculations, but all-125 is impossible for a PC to reach. If we train every skill to 1750 ranks, we could get to all-123.
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/14/2014 12:50 AM CDT
So, it looks like somewhere during the 3.1 stuff, this was already fixed, but the moths didn't get the updates. I have updated them so you should see some improvements as far as their crazy stats go.

The fuligin moths got a bit of a stat decrease as well, though not as much as the void-black ones.

Let me know how it feels!

Melete
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/14/2014 07:24 AM CDT
You rock. Thank you.
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/14/2014 10:45 AM CDT
>Let me know how it feels!

I'm not sure if its related, but not sure how it wouldn't be related but now Void-black's perception is way too low for their circle, so I'm having a very hard time grinding out stealth exp when yesterday I was not having any trouble.
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/14/2014 11:55 AM CDT
Feels much better. I can actually affect them with spells around in the 60 mana range. Thank you.
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/14/2014 08:58 PM CDT
>>I'm not sure if its related, but not sure how it wouldn't be related but now Void-black's perception is way too low for their circle

Based on how the fix works, it probably did result in a decrease in the moths' perception/hiding. I have made an attempt to alleviate this, let me know if it helps.

Melete
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/14/2014 09:35 PM CDT
>Based on how the fix works, it probably did result in a decrease in the moths' perception/hiding. I have made an attempt to alleviate this, let me know if it helps.

All better now, thank you.

At the risk of derailing this thread someone might wanna also look at Arhcon's and Bone Wyvern's Perception. I'm noticing they are also very low, for their overall ranks.
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/18/2014 03:35 PM CDT
Have these void moths made it over to TF yet?
Re: High End Magic and Void Moths 05/18/2014 10:43 PM CDT
They're part of 3.1 and will be rolled with the rest of it.

Melete