Gryphons 01/22/2016 12:13 PM CST
The lines in first tier gryphons are crazy busy all times of the day. Even down in Shard they are getting out of hand. Is there any way we can have a premie gryphon hunting area in Therengia?

Linkyz
Re: Gryphons 02/06/2016 05:06 AM CST
Dobeks on Ratha teach better and its empty. If non-justice areas suit you better, dolomar's are the jam and is almost empty. If you won't hunt anywhere but the mainland for whatever reason, try gremlins down in Shard which is premie only, or basilisks in Riverhaven which is huge and mostly empty. There are a ton of hunting areas, a good third of which aren't gimmicky or terrible. Why everyone restricts themselves to the same overpopulated ones per rung I'll never know.

AIM: the_sly_fox
Re: Gryphons 02/06/2016 05:25 AM CST
>> Why everyone restricts themselves to the same overpopulated ones per rung I'll never know.

People tend to hunt the stuff without weirdly powerful special attacks (dolomars) or difficult or annoying areas (basilisks/dobeks). Like, basilisks? Great mobs, sure, except you can't HUNT where they are and just getting there as a non-Cleric is time-consuming and can potentially kill you.

Maybe if special attacks were ever rebalanced to not be ridiculously powerful at-level (lookin' at you adders) people would spread out a bit more. But even the stuff you're naming is still gimmicky or terrible for various reasons.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Gryphons 02/06/2016 06:59 AM CST
I'll give you basilisks because it does take forever to get in/out of there and the wait can kill you but what's wrong with dobeks? Yeah you touch the statue to get dropped down and have to wait for the stun but it only takes like 10 seconds. 10 seconds to get in to an empty hunting area is better than having to wait on line for a room to open up, isn't it? Leaving has no wait time at all. I should have specified that I was listing the Hara dolo's. They don't have the annoying acid attack.

Re: Gryphons 02/06/2016 07:59 AM CST
Just hunt with someone. I will never understand why people refuse to do this.
Re: Gryphons 02/06/2016 09:02 AM CST
It's harder to write scripts for.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Gryphons 02/06/2016 04:05 PM CST
>> what's wrong with dobeks?

They're in a justice area. You said this in your own post. How is anyone with any kind of AoE supposed to hunt them? I'd love to go there on my Necromancer but lol.

Also they have a special attack (poison) which as I recall is very easy to get hit by and used to give nasty stacking poison, but that might have changed.

>> Just hunt with someone. I will never understand why people refuse to do this.

Hunting with people always screws with training stealth or I would :|

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Gryphons 02/06/2016 04:18 PM CST

Hunting with people is a lot of fun. The screwy skin/loot mechanics where you get stuck in RT if two creatures die around the same time and then your creature gets looted before you can do anything is a drag. Sure, group is supposed to help but anyone stalking creatures gets pulled out.

Jalika
Re: Gryphons 02/06/2016 04:25 PM CST
I get that Stalk increases your stealing bits that it matters to survival primes, but it's such an awful mechanic that I wish it would just die.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Gryphons 02/06/2016 06:35 PM CST
My most recent jaunt through dobeks was with a barbarian. How it works for other guilds' aoeing abilties I can't say. The poison doesn't do enough damage to be dangerous these days. I've been heavily poison stacked without issue.

It's worth a look at any rate. If the consensus states that there is only one be-all end-all hunting area at that level, adding more rooms to it won't fix the problem. Personally, I have yet to set foot in gryphons at any level.

Re: Gryphons 02/06/2016 06:43 PM CST
I reiterate that you would see more variety in personal hunting ladders if special attacks were brought into line.

I still cannot hunt ice adders safely. I am over a hundred ranks above their learning cap. I have 50 discipline and 40 stamina. Their special attack still nukes me and would kill me if I didn't spam Siphon Vitality or run away regularly. They are far from the only mob with out of whack special attacks. If there was some tangible benefit to dealing with the extra danger, I and others might attempt it. But there isn't, so why would you?

Thayet

Re: Gryphons 02/07/2016 10:09 AM CST
I'm not sure why this has never been addressed. It seems like the one of the things DR got fundamentally wrong. Your point is obviously valid, there is no benefit to hunting ice adders. It's more worth it to wait until a better area is available and train something else. The disparity on how beneficial one hunting area is over another I have never understood.
Re: Gryphons 02/08/2016 08:47 AM CST

I don't know why hunting with people screws up anything. If your scripts or stealth can't handle it, I think you're doing something weirdly.

Just don't use the same types of arrows/throwing weapons. And I don't know how another hunter + 4 critters messes up your stealth - unless the critters are spam retreating the moment you hide and leaving the room, which... I've never seen before.

Accept that occasionally you will skin/loot someone else's kill, and they will do the same to you. Given the benefit of teaching someone in combat, it just always blows my mind that people still insist on reserving a room all to themselves.
Re: Gryphons 02/08/2016 09:35 AM CST
Hunting with other people is less efficient, period.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Gryphons 02/08/2016 09:41 AM CST
>>Hunting with other people is less efficient, period.

Incorrect.

Hey look, I can play that game too. In point of fact I do much better hunting with my hunting partner then I do solo. Both in terms of EXP/hr and in loot generated.

Samsaren
Re: Gryphons 02/08/2016 09:47 AM CST
That only works if you are both on exactly the same page with regards to kill rates, who gets which spawn when, etc. Random joe blow coming into my room asking if they can hunt with me? Hell to the no.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Gryphons 02/08/2016 09:53 AM CST

Yeah, I couldn't disagree with you more about this Absolon. Other people in the room at worst results in occasional skinning/looting. It adds an extra two skills being trained from teaching, and the possibility of buffing one another.

In terms of 'skills trained per unit of time' having someone hunt with you is better. In terms of 'loot earned per unit of time' you can also benefit from group spells and their debilitation, increasing the rate you kill.
Re: Gryphons 02/08/2016 09:59 AM CST
<<Yeah, I couldn't disagree with you more about this Absolon.

Most things really. You have some strange ideas about this game that's for sure.

Re: Gryphons 02/08/2016 10:09 AM CST

Ok, cool discussion engagement there.
Re: Gryphons 02/08/2016 11:47 AM CST
Doesn't 2 or more people in a room boost critter gen? I'm on the fence with this one. My scripts would have to be considerably modified to operate with a partner. Then again, I rarely clean a room when hunting with someone. Pros and Cons to both methods honestly.
Re: Gryphons 02/08/2016 11:58 AM CST
I personally dislike seeing characters hunt together because there are so many people who multibox or babysit an afk friend. You've got only 1 character actually making kills while they teach a class to their other characters. Meanwhile they're drawing the gen for a room full of creatures that aren't getting killed often or quickly. Yes I can go into their room and kill a few every few minutes but it's annoying. In certain hunting grounds, like basilisks for example, 1 group of hunters destroys the gen rate for the rest of the hunting ground.

Newer hunting grounds like zombie stompers have the pathing design and gen rate where it's not an issue but many older hunting spots just aren't set up for group hunting unless everyone there is making kills.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Gryphons 02/08/2016 12:41 PM CST

I think gen rates are the only valid complaint - but that's not an issue of hunting with a partner as much as it's an issue of lots of critters having wonky gen.

As for multi-boxing, it's not an issue unique to hunting. Plenty of people sit around teaching while someone crafts. Run through a crafting hall and you'll find people zombie following someone pounding away.

But it's a shame that we play an MMO and insist on playing it solo. Especially given how many abilities synergize well in combat.
Re: Gryphons ::Nudge:: 02/08/2016 12:43 PM CST
Let's keep on topic and stop with the personal attacks, please. You can take those to the conflicts folder down in The Social Side of Dragonrealms.

Thank you,
Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator

If you have a question about the forums, please email me Senior Board Moderator Helje at DR-Helje@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net
Re: Gryphons 02/08/2016 03:34 PM CST
>> And I don't know how another hunter + 4 critters messes up your stealth - unless the critters are spam retreating the moment you hide and leaving the room, which... I've never seen before.

This is actually exactly what happens with some mobs, regardless of whether you have personally seen it before.

That's even assuming you're in an area where you can get enough mobs for both of you... that's often not the case.

Thayet