Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/09/2012 09:38 AM CDT
Is there anything better to hunt than adan'f warriors & mages, using stealth? At night they're not hard at all to hunt with stealths but it seems once the sun comes up it's almost impossible to hide from them, let alone dodge their tail attack when in hiding. They're not really a threat but either they're good at seeing you hiding during the day or my stealth skills are a little low for them.

I tried forest geni, hiding from them is even worse. Tried cave trolls since them seem a little lower in level, but I'm not learning anything from them.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/09/2012 09:48 AM CDT
Orc Reivers and Warcats? Maybe even raiders with boosts.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/09/2012 01:00 PM CDT
>>At night they're not hard at all to hunt with stealths but it seems once the sun comes up it's almost impossible to hide from them, let alone dodge their tail attack when in hiding.

Confirmation bias. The night bonus/day penalty for stealth has been removed for a loooooong time.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/09/2012 01:55 PM CDT
> Confirmation bias. The night bonus/day penalty for stealth has been removed for a loooooong time.

Well I left the adan'f earlier this morning, went to hunt up in Riverhaven. Returned some time ago it was night again, and had NO issues. Hunted using stealths easily. I even carried more injuries from hunting the basilisks under Zaulfung swamp, assuming having more injuries might have hurt me, it didn't. Again, the only perceivable difference was night and day. If this was turned off a loooong time ago, any chance it was switched back on and forgotten?
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/10/2012 04:59 PM CDT

What about Gryphons? Or Shalswar?
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/13/2012 12:08 AM CDT
thief confidence. Has to be. After a recent hunting run in adan'f, was doing fine until a warrior tripped me up and caused a bleeder. I do remember after that hit, it was harder to hide, but not impossible. After a short time, same thing happened, tripped up and another bleeder. After the second hit it was nearly impossible to use stealth against the adan'f. Checked confidence, found I had to "force it". I know on rare occasion in the past they've tripped me up and caused a bleeder, most the time they miss and just force me out of hiding, but up until now I didn't see any connection. Bad enough you're getting a bleeder when hit, wish the hits on confidence wasn't so punishing.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/13/2012 01:05 AM CDT
was it a head bleeder? because stealth is inordinately "punished" for head bleeders.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/13/2012 01:25 AM CDT
> was it a head bleeder? because stealth is inordinately "punished" for head bleeders.

Nope. All leg bleeders. Not sure off hand where adan'f warriors/mages are compared to young gryphons, but the adan'f rarely hit me out in the open, the hits came when I was hiding. I'd say 80 percent of the time these attacks are just a miss and it brings me out of hiding, and these misses don't appear to hit my confidence. It's actually getting hit that does, it seems. Sucks.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/13/2012 07:55 AM CDT
>All leg bleeders

...stealth is also hindered severely by leg bleeders..

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/13/2012 08:00 AM CDT
Well, having them healed up with herbs, still had issues anyway
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/13/2012 08:50 AM CDT
>>Well, having them healed up with herbs, still had issues anyway

Leg wounds in general hinder stealth, not just bleeders. Even if you have those micro-scars visible only to empaths, they're still giving you a small stealth penalty.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/13/2012 09:05 AM CDT
Just great. The same thing that prevents me from carving picks. Minor, invisible wounds or scars. Come on, fix those NPC empaths to heal everything...
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 10/13/2012 10:51 AM CDT
Stop herb healing. They won't heal anything that's been partialled by herbs. You can go get fresh wounds there, though.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 05/27/2013 01:03 PM CDT
I was testing a hunting script in goblin shaman not too long ago just to make sure it captures creature names correctly and with over 300 evasion and 200 shield, their shards were not only hitting me, but doing a pretty decent amount of damage to my vitality. Reminded me why i avoid any kind of creature that has any sort of special attack for the most part...That being said, i've wanted to try adanf out for a long time, just never had the stats to actually do it until now. Do these guy's spells annihilate players now or are they kinda in line with their skill level?
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 05/27/2013 07:30 PM CDT
>Do these guy's spells annihilate players now or are they kinda in line with their skill level?

Wearing some rugged shalswar-hide leathers, a lumium mail balaclava, reinforced hide gloves, a croc buckler I think (it's dyed and I can't remember what hide it is)

Shield Usage:366 Light Armor:349 Chain Armor:288 Defending:356 Parry Ability:301 Evasion:380 Tactics:390

Using a 51/94/40 evasion/shield/parry stance

50 reflex
60 stamina (posted this because the vit wall probably makes a big difference on how many spell hits you can take)

Without Lay Ward, dinazen olkar hits often enough that in the time it takes to scrounge up 20 or 30 boxes I might have to use healing herbs to keep me in good enough shape to keep hunting relatively safely without taking an empath break.

I evade, block or at least partially block most of the spells but enough get through to give me scratches or up to cuts and bruises which builds up quick if you don't take the mages out whenever they make an appearance.

You probably also need the stats to resist Mental Blast (i don't have the numbers for that). I'm a moon mage so my stat build is mental blast resistant. I don't bother with psychic shield when I hunt them.

With Lay Ward cast I'm immune to Adan'f mage spells.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 05/30/2013 11:21 PM CDT

If your just going for boxes, stancing at 51/94/40 is like shooting yourself in the foot. Go with 100 evasion/91 shield or 100 shield/91 evasion. I hunt these on my cleric and using parry with mages casting at you is bad even with the spells I have to help.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 11/01/2013 08:34 PM CDT
Has their magic been fixed yet? I'm going to be at this level soon and I used to love adan'f but if I can't learn any parry I won't bother.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 11/01/2013 09:49 PM CDT
in reference to the goblin shamen, their fireshard spell has an excessive accuracy to it... EVERYONE seems to get hit by them.. for little to no reason... and from my testing, even COL wasn't doing much to stop them... and interestingly enough, that's exactly what COL is for.. the small physical, slight elemental attacks...

so yeah, goblin shamen hitting you with hundreds of evasion/shield ranks.. totally 'normal', just not WAI.

>The shadowling exclaims, "Mana neeto!"
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 11/01/2013 09:55 PM CDT
Use Lay Ward.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 11/01/2013 10:39 PM CDT
>Use Lay Ward.

I'm a Thief, no can do.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 11/02/2013 02:53 PM CDT
you can still learn parry, IIRC every attack still contests all skills, and thus teaches any you have actively stanced, it's just probably going to b e slow, since in order to get a good evasion/shield stance you'll have to keep your parry down around 10 or so...

also, can you use your ambush moves on them?

looks like ambush stun could help, or, since it can be done without hiding, ambush screen...

>The shadowling exclaims, "Mana neeto!"
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 11/02/2013 09:43 PM CDT
>I'm a Thief, no can do.

Sorry, I should have quoted Carl3thos who said "in reference to the goblin shamen, their fireshard spell has an excessive accuracy to it... EVERYONE seems to get hit by them.. for little to no reason... and from my testing, even COL wasn't doing much to stop them... and interestingly enough, that's exactly what COL is for.. the small physical, slight elemental attacks..." In his case, he should use Lay Ward instead of Cage of Light.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 11/28/2013 12:34 PM CST
Too bad the Mages can't be skinned anymore, at least the warriors can still be skinned.
Re: Adan'f Warriors/Mages 11/28/2013 11:39 PM CST
>Too bad the Mages can't be skinned anymore, at least the warriors can still be skinned.

I always regret when mages can't be skinned.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html