When can I handle Gryphons? 09/20/2012 08:04 PM CDT
I normally never post (so be gentle please...)

I have seen multiple guilds post when they will be able to handle the smallest of gryphons, unfortunately none of them were listed for clerics and this is the first time I have had a character getting to these kind of combat ranks.

I use Light thrown, heavy edged, and brawling for weapons. Light chain lumium hauberk with heavy chain lumium balaclava/gloves. Current skill levels are only in the 240's (which I'm assuming is too low) so I know I can't handle them currently.

I can cast capped minor physical protection, major physical protection, manifest force, benediction for +7 str/reflex/agility bonuses. Have defensive/offensive communes.

I know the peccary/caracal route to get up to the 300 skill level that most guilds are required to start the gryphon ladder. I am just wondering if being a cleric I will be able to start hunting there earlier with all the buffs/abilities I have access too.

Also since I am asking for advice (and haven't had previous exposure to gryphons) travel is not an issue for me. What are the pros and cons to shard vs theren gryphons?

Thank you all so much for any/all feedback.
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/20/2012 09:01 PM CDT
Basically I'd hit them when elder brocket deer stop teaching. Or in your case, when caracals. I'd recommend having at least 2 defenses over 240s, one of them being evasion <and either parry or shield for the other>. Also, make sure you're multi is capable. As, in both Shard and Theren, fledglings gen along with baby gryphs.

Right now the character I fight baby gryphs <guilded barbarian> has the following skills, if you can gauge by her:

ME: 282
2HE: 247
HE: 192
Parry: 230
Multi: 279
Leather: 282
Shield: 257.

As far as shard vs rossmans gryphs go, you'll probably want to see which area you want to be in to be convenient to healers/skinning sales, gemshops, etc. <prime-side shard locks up at night so you have to go around the gates unless ilithi citizen, which personally i find a pain in the backside. Shard is probably less crowded, though, because there are more rooms in the hunting area. Once you get beyond young gryphs though, for some reason the elder/adult/ etc gryphs don't gen, or hardly ever gen, where they are supposed to, but then, DPs are just up the road. But if you can stand the falling down thing, and you use a ranged attack <you mentioned LT>, and being a cleric, you can use your TM on 'em as well - if you want to hunt the harder ones once you're able to do so - you'll pretty much have to do it in Rossmans.

As far as mana - i'm not sure where the good "holy" mana rooms are in either location, as the only chars I've done gryphs with are a thief, a barb and a necro <and hopefully soon i'll be able to do a WM there>.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/20/2012 09:32 PM CDT
Thank you so much for your quick reply ~

I appreciate you posting your barbarian information; unfortunately, I have never had a barbarian and from the things I have read about it seems as though they are capable of hunting monsters well before the other guilds can. Roars/dances... I have no idea what they do.

However, you mentioned having defenses over 240... I am very near this but assumed I was well below being able to hunt gryphons (which is why I did not bother to even post them)... Let me just go ahead and post my skills (as I being on M'riss is depressing with the amount of people available).

Offensively:
LT-243 HE - 239 Brawl - 240 TM - 287

Defensively:
Parry - 273 MO - 267 Shield - 237 LC - 235 HC - 230 Evasion - 235

Strength : 30 Reflex : 40
Agility : 33 Charisma : 30
Discipline : 30 Wisdom : 40
Intelligence : 40 Stamina : 35

Because M'Riss is such an investment in time/travel I wanted to make sure I could make a smooth transition to gryphons... If I get my skills all to 250-260 should I be good to go as long as I maintain all my cleric buffs?

Thank you so much for your help! This is my first combat orientated character and every time I upgrade combat areas I try and do as much research as possible to make sure it will be a perfect fit since this is such a new world for me.
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/20/2012 10:28 PM CDT
Fortunately for you, M'Riss is not required. Caracals are great, but not necessary. If you don't feel like you're up to gryphons yet, try night barghests for a bit outside Haven. I've also had similar fun with forest geni and rhoat moda(day only,premie). If you have the climbing, cave trolls are excellent too, at the bottom of the Wicked Burrow Mines. You can also try the higher ati'kets and westies in the Gate of Souls. All of the above critters will teach well in that range.
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/20/2012 11:23 PM CDT
<<it seems as though they are capable of hunting monsters well before the other guilds can.>>

Skillwise, no. Circlewise, yes. They hunt things at a lower circle, on the average, than other guilds because their weapon reqs are so high. <which is why i was in gryphs with my barb at about 45th circle, and I still can't hunt them with my WM, at 57th> . I rarely use roars, although when I first started hunting gryphs I made use of berserk stone frequently. At the skills i just mentioned, I usually start my hunt without any buffs, and then later use a dance when i start getting burdened from pelts <until i fill up my bundle>. If you start out, with keeping benediction up for a good length of time, you should be good to go. You could also possibly check out in the hunting folder in the cleric folder too what some other clerics have hunted with your skills.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/21/2012 12:24 AM CDT
Can you post your exact stats? 240 parry vs. 210 evasion is a big difference when seeing if you can handle gryphons simply because they swarm so much.

If all of your requisite skills are 230+ (parry, shield, evasion, multi, the armors you use), then you should be able to safely handle them with Major Physical Protection.
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/21/2012 01:32 AM CDT
Thanks all for the feedback, I guess I can head out to gryphons and give it a shot. If not, thank you Cravyd for the mainland alternatives until I am capable of getting there.

For Diminishedangel
<Can you post your exact stats? 240 parry vs. 210 evasion is a big difference when seeing if you can handle gryphons simply because they swarm so much.>

I posted my stats in a post above, but I am more than happy to post them again.
Offensive Skills:
LT-243 HE - 239 Brawl - 240 TM - 287

Defensive Skills:
Parry - 273 MO - 267 Shield - 237 LC - 235 HC - 230 Evasion - 235

Stats:
Strength : 30 Reflex : 40
Agility : 33 Charisma : 30
Discipline : 30 Wisdom : 40
Intelligence : 40 Stamina : 35

I actively hunt with a capped MAPP, MPP, MAF, and Benediction (providing +7 to str/agi/reflex). If the buff wears off I immediately retreat and stay out of combat until effectively able to get the buff back up.

I really appreciate everyones feedback. I guess I am more ready for gryphons than I thought!
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/21/2012 06:08 AM CDT

also with those skills your a great fit to start greater shadow hounds and greater sluaghs. they are skinable, undead, great devotion sources right there and decent source of loot and boxes. use TM if you get in a bind and you will be fine with them just keep PFE up.
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/21/2012 06:58 AM CDT
I started them with just over 300 in shield, 200 evasion, 180 multi, and about 250ish in weapon [No typos, just somewhat unbalanced]. The biggest thing with gryphons is that occasionally several will spawn at once, I've seen up to 3 suddenly appear in the room and that can be bad when just starting them out. If you go to the ones in shard you could also try clouded arzumos which are nearby. They seemed a little easier than the gryphons [could just be me though]. Only caveat with them is that they do ambush so your perception needs to be decent but the spawn rate did seem lower with them as opposed to gryphons [again, maybe just me].
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/21/2012 07:07 AM CDT
I might strongly encourage you to pick up another weapon or two? LT is ok, and brawling is too, but neither benefit from player made weapons like say heavy or medium edge. Plus you'll be in combat locking defense so working 3-5 weapons is just free tdps. But you didn't ask so sorry if I offend.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/21/2012 11:57 AM CDT
You should be fine with MaPP, just watch your back when you get four on you. I would also recommend you pick up another weapon or two.
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/22/2012 12:45 AM CDT
Thanks everyone for the advice, I will be heading to the mainland soon to try out all your wonderful advice.

For KROONERMANREVENGE/Diminishedangel; I have LT, Brawling, and HE weapons all at about the same skill level (240) and I keep TM training for the creatures I am in. I have often thought about picking up another weapon (maybe something 2-handed/ranged) but with DR3.0 around the corner I have been waiting to see what kind of changes to the combat system come about. I would really love to learn light crossbow on this character but LX is currently such a slow trainer... I have reviewed other clerics/high level characters and see most players tend to focus on 2-3 different weapon skills (usually a ranged, melee weapon, and brawling).. It's something I have had on the back of my mind, but for now I am going to wait until DR3.0 until I decide. I hope that doesn't sound nit-picky, because it's good advice! I would just hate to devote all that time to back-training only for DR3.0 to roll around and back-train another weapon I always wanted to train.

I really appreciate everyone's honesty and training tips (takes a lot to offend me!) Thanks so much.
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/22/2012 08:54 AM CDT
Ya, it really comes down to what you enjoy. You can be fine with even just 1-2 weapons (whatever the guild min may be for your (generic you) guild). I personally just choose to work 5+ weapons on my chars because there's a blunt/melee/ranged, and then I want to train brawling and probably another 'fun' weapon and another flair weapon. And generally speaking, it's easy for most guilds to keep 5+ weapons locked in combat without much hassle, so it's only TDP gain and a general mental sense of 'I'm well rounded!', plus sticking around in combat learning more weapons means you're learning more defenses.

Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/24/2012 12:04 PM CDT

"I actively hunt with a capped MAPP, MPP, MAF, and Benediction (providing +7 to str/agi/reflex). If the buff wears off I immediately retreat and stay out of combat until effectively able to get the buff back up."

Some thoughts as a cleric:

You didn't mention Eluned's commune(defensive commune). It will be going away soon- use it to your advantage now.

And why do you wait for any buff's to wear off? I often let stuff fall by accident, but try not to- rebuff while in combat- basically if you go through and rebuff everytime Ben wears off you should always stay buffed up.

and finally- and you didn't ask this- but I will just through my two cents in- just go for it. The best way to find out whether you can handle it is to try it. And if you go for the gryphons near Shard, if they don't work, play with some of the other beasties down there- explore- have fun.
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/24/2012 07:47 PM CDT
I didn't mention Eluned's commune but I do use it when attempting new monsters for the first time and keep it up until my own defensive skills are caught up to allow me to handle the creature until starting the next tier of difficulty.

As for letting buffs wear off... I use geniehunter script to assist me with training combats. Unfortunately, it is either not coded (or I haven't figured it out) how to keep my buffs up during combat without them falling.

The good news is gryphons have been a great success. I really appreciate everyone's help and honesty (since I mentioned I don't post much on the forums.) So thanks everyone.
Re: When can I handle Gryphons? 09/25/2012 07:54 AM CDT
Re: Gh buffs

There is a subsection for them but I have never gotten it to work.

I simply have a combat script which I run alongside GH, which preps mpp, pauses 30, casts, pauses 30, moves on to the next buff in rotation, repeats. Keeps my buffs up, and since GH has a 'echo last command not executed due to rt' function it works out. Also keeps PM locked. Only caution is if you have a TM line in GH they will error out and GH will die.