Moving up from Twisted dryads... 04/23/2019 06:15 PM CDT
Any ideas on hunting spots to try?

Have been on an expedition to find a new hunting ground today, but none of the options I tried (prereni and small peccaries) worked out, so I'm looking for options.
Re: Moving up from Twisted dryads... 04/23/2019 09:47 PM CDT
Fendryads should be a decent fit. That's where I went at about your skill. If you want a skinnable option, the small peccs mixed with swampies in Lang might do it- though I don't know why the small peccs didn't work.

Good luck!

Player of...

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Moving up from Twisted dryads... 04/24/2019 02:31 AM CDT
>I don't know why the small peccs didn't work.

Oops... confusion is what I get for keeping my post brief. Sorry!

The hunting I tried was in Ilthi, because I like the area... The small peccs 'near' Shard are fine, but the Dragon Priestesses beat me up and chased me away.

The mid-tier prereni also worked well, but it's a tiny hunting area that was full more often than not. If I hunted there I'd feel the need to stay hunting if I didn't have a backup area... and I prefer having the option to move in and out stress free.

Will give Fendryads a go. I like it that the other critters in the area seem like a match for my skills too.

The map has me wondering... Are there 2 tiers of swamp trolls mixed in with the peccs? Or are there two separate areas with each room spawning one type of troll?
Re: Moving up from Twisted dryads... 04/24/2019 07:09 AM CDT
Ah, I see. Yes, I consider Ilithi home too- but sometimes you've got to get a little footloose! You might look at the gryphons, but because they fly they can be a pain. Also, they do come in several skill levels. The elders can be dangerous indeed. The bestiary on Wikipedia lists them.

There are a couple of different flavors of swamp trolls up by Lang, but they seem to have similar skills. The thing is that they have different gear. The Fendryads are way in the southern part of that hunting ground, but you'll want to be careful not to fall in the water because there are also elsralaels- and those are tough, or were the last time I got cornered by one.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Moving up from Twisted dryads... 04/24/2019 03:39 PM CDT
>>You might look at the gryphons, but because they fly they can be a pain.

You don't get the flying variety until Adults, by then you can move on to other things. You don't really want to do gryphons until you're around 250 in defenses though, which the OP should be a little short of even if they capped Twisted Dryads.

@OP I did Prereni after dryads but I can understand if they're crowded.

Lanky Gray Lachs should work well until you can go to gryphons. Getting in can be a bit of a pain sometimes. If you use Genie though I recently updated the automapper to automate getting you in.
Re: Moving up from Twisted dryads... 04/25/2019 02:49 AM CDT
Defences are in the 200-220 range.

Noob question... Is there anything I should be wary of hunting corporeal undead as a non-cleric?

I totally disregarded Lanky Gray Lachs when going through the hunting ladder because I assume "undead" means it comes with complications.... but I have no idea whether that's actually the case.
Re: Moving up from Twisted dryads... 04/25/2019 07:37 AM CDT
That's not a Noob question: I didn't think of it either because of that cursed door.

Corporeal undead tend to be a little bit tougher than their 'normal' counterparts, and if you're not using holy mana you will need to prep your spells above the minimum in order to have an effect. A couple of times I hunted laches with Jycanth, who was a bard. Poor laches! The main thing you have to watch out for is to not go into the area with the Transparent Shylvics and the mastiffs: Mastiffs are much stronger than the laches, and Shylvics are non-corporeal, as well as prone to casting spells like Curse of Zachriedek.

Ryeka