Warcat Calm 07/29/2016 06:07 AM CDT
Could a GM look at the effectiveness of the Warcats Calm spell since the magic change? I was hunting in the Bandit area before at what I considered at-level but they chain calm me now and even the warcats in scouts can calm me now. Seems a bit excessive.

Thanks

-Lukrani
Re: Warcat Calm 07/29/2016 06:28 AM CDT
My speculation as to why this is the case is for two reasons that combined to end up where we are now:

1. Creatures cast spells at a fixed mana amount, not a relative mana amount.
2. Debilitation and Targeted Magic spells had their mana ranges lowered quite significantly in the Magic 3.2 change almost across the board. (Only AoE and a few really special single target ones didn't).

Because a creature casts a spell with a fixed mana amount that mana wasn't very strong when considered against the higher range of mana the spell used to be able to be cast at, but with the lowered mana range the spell is suddenly a lot stronger relatively.

E.g. using CALM as the example with a hypothetical casting amount:
A warcat casting CALM with 25 mana under the old system where mana ranged from 2 to 97 was only casting the spell at about 25% of the potential effectiveness. But under the new system, that same warcat casting CALM with 25 mana where the mana now ranges from 1 to 33 mana is casting it at nearly it's full potential.

Unlike players, who are limited by skill resulting in their personal mana caps going down making their spells more or less just as powerful as they used to be a few days ago, critters didn't have their mana levels changed to go along with the update.

I'm personally of two minds on this issue. One, critter magic was pretty darn toothless before the update, so an increase in its effectiveness is in and of itself not an unwelcome change. Two, however, is that if a creature is now un-huntable because their spell casting is too overwhelming for their level then we need that to be looked at. Unfortunately, it's likely going to have to be on a critter by critter basis.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Warcat Calm 07/29/2016 06:49 AM CDT
> I'm personally of two minds on this issue. One, critter magic was pretty darn toothless before the update, so an increase in its effectiveness is in and of itself not an unwelcome change. Two, however, is that if a creature is now un-huntable because their spell casting is too overwhelming for their level then we need that to be looked at.

I'm not sure there's a way to reconcile these two issues as long as critters are drawing from the same spellbooks as PCs. Either they can tag you with the spell, or they can't. If they can't, the casting is toothless---a wasted action of the critter. If they can, then since PC debilitation effects are so severe, it makes the critter unhuntable.
Re: Warcat Calm 07/29/2016 06:57 AM CDT
Well, there's a sort of balance that used to exist, at least in the hunting areas I've been in. When first moving into an area the spell the creatures cast tended to have a chance of landing, albeit a small one in most cases. By the time I would leave the area, that chance had all but completely gone away. So there does seem to be a point where spells can be set that work somewhat around a creature's level relative to yours, although I could see the reduced mana ranges making it more difficult to find a balanced point since there's a bit less granularity.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Warcat Calm 07/29/2016 07:01 AM CDT
Using the example of CALM from above, for instance:

Under the old system a 25 mana cast would have been 26.04% of the way along the scale from 2 to 97 between min and max.

Under the new system where the scale is now 1 to 33, 26.04% of the way along that puts the new mana level at 8 or 9 depending on how you want to round. So, theoritically if you set a creature to cast with that much mana it would cast the spell like it used to.

If you wanted to uptweak the spell difficulty a bit without making it impossible you could try tweaking that up to 10, 12, or higher depending on where you want it to balance out.

Re: Warcat Calm 07/29/2016 01:48 PM CDT
Creature casting logic is beyond dumb right now. It's been on my list forever to fix it.

However, from what I recall of what it's doing right now I don't THINK they should be using SvS as a notably higher level and even if they are it shouldn't be making THAT large of a difference because SvS is so strongly driven by stats compared to the component that comes from the mana level.

But it remains on the list.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Warcat Calm 07/29/2016 01:54 PM CDT
>Creature casting logic is beyond dumb right now. It's been on my list forever to fix it.

I believe you mean beyond thunder-dumb.

What? they're WAR cats.
Re: Warcat Calm 07/29/2016 02:23 PM CDT
<However, from what I recall of what it's doing right now I don't THINK they should be using SvS as a notably higher level and even if they are it shouldn't be making THAT large of a difference because SvS is so strongly driven by stats compared to the component that comes from the mana level.>

I'm not sure what they're using but it has made that large of a difference. Myself and others have had to move out of the area.

-Lukrani
Re: Warcat Calm 07/31/2016 06:00 AM CDT
The area is unhuntable now. I moved as well. Luckily I was nearly capped in reivers so, switched to gryphons. The discipline requirement to hunt there and not get hit by calm or hit by very few was already VERY high to hunt at level. When I first started in there discipline always had to be my highest stat to do ok there.

Also, I never found critter magic "toothless" prior to the change. Fendryad tm made me pee my pants when I was leveling up. Young cave trolls also had strong tm if you don't use shield on another toon I remember. It was the reason I avoided a'danf...was leary dealing with the mages.
Re: Warcat Calm 07/31/2016 06:03 AM CDT
I'm of the opinion if you invest in stats to resist deblitation spell....then critter debilitation magic should be toothless.

If the GM's want to make the critters "smarter" as in if you resist 2-3 mental blasts in a row they give up then that would be a happy change.
Re: Warcat Calm 07/31/2016 07:25 AM CDT

> I'm of the opinion if you invest in stats to resist deblitation spell....then critter debilitation magic should be toothless.

I think it's reasonable to require an investment in defensive abilities as well as stats. I think the treasure or experience needs to support the additional investment though.
Re: Warcat Calm 07/31/2016 02:47 PM CDT
For warcats in particular it shouldn't even be a big deal if they land a calm on you... they'll break it the next time they attack.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Warcat Calm 07/31/2016 06:11 PM CDT
Raesh,

That is incorrect. That's the way it works when a PC casts it. When warcats cast it you continue to stay calmed while you're attacked by the warcats and bandits. This has been a complaint for a long time.

-Lukrani
Re: Warcat Calm 07/31/2016 10:30 PM CDT
Did you try since I fixed the bug causing that yesterday?

-Raesh

Re: Warcat Calm 08/01/2016 04:38 AM CDT
Just went in there for a bit and looking good! Thanks a bunch Raesh.

-Lukrani
Re: Warcat Calm 08/01/2016 04:44 AM CDT
>>Did you try since I fixed the bug causing that yesterday?

Just tried them and things seem back to normal to me.
Re: Warcat Calm 06/07/2017 12:00 AM CDT

Just wanted to drop a note that these are back to being broken. The calm does not break when you are attacked.