Ice adders 09/04/2015 01:43 AM CDT
Does anyone know more about the ice adder's special attack? The wiki says 34 each in disc/stamina to consistently defend against it, but with 45 disc and 30 stamina it hits me every time, which would seem to indicate that it's not really contesting discipline so much.

That thing hits really hard too. The critters themselves don't pose much danger to me but the special attack is murder.

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Ice adders 09/04/2015 10:25 AM CDT
Maybe it's a hard cap rather than a soft cap -

For example:
34 Discipline and 33 Stamina = FAIL
33 Discipline and 34 Stamina = FAIL

but
34 Discipline and 34 Stamina = Chance to resist.

But I've not hunted them at that level to know.

Nikpack
Re: Ice adders 09/04/2015 12:17 PM CDT

>> but with 45 disc and 30 stamina it hits me every time, which would seem to indicate that it's not really contesting discipline so much.

I was getting hit with 34 disc/28 stamina AND PFE was up. PFE is supposed to block it but we getting hit for 10-20% stamina.

I recently just hit 34 disc/34 stamina. I'll test it out and let you know.
Re: Ice adders 09/04/2015 12:34 PM CDT
>> Maybe it's a hard cap rather than a soft cap -

Strikes me as a weird way to do it but possible!

I guess I'm just curious if it contesting discipline is accurate at all. I have 30 str/stam though so if it's a SvS attack I should in theory have some chance of contesting it I would think. That's not super high for my level, but it's not low enough to be failing every time either, unless it's as you say and it's just an on/off thing.

I don't have access to PFE or anything unfortunately so I can't grab a barrier for it.

Thayet
Re: Ice adders 09/04/2015 01:22 PM CDT
If it's a debil attack it could be contesting and just outright beating you.

Then again special attack mechs are always wonky.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Ice adders 09/05/2015 07:13 AM CDT

I tried them a couple months ago with 35 stam/disc was resisting fine without the aid of pfe.
Re: Ice adders 09/09/2015 06:23 PM CDT
34 stamina definitely isn't correct at least. Even at 45 discipline.

I guess it's just a straight up threshold check rather than an actual contest.

Thayet
Re: Ice adders 09/15/2015 03:28 PM CDT
Followup: Nope!

45 disc/35 stam and I am still consistently failing the contest. I have not successfully resisted this once since trying to hunt here.

This feels like a lot for the skill niche they occupy. I know special attacks are generally wonky and all, but is there any chance someone could take a peek at this and make sure this is correct?

Thayet
Re: Ice adders 09/15/2015 04:27 PM CDT
>>This feels like a lot for the skill niche they occupy. I know special attacks are generally wonky and all, but is there any chance someone could take a peek at this and make sure this is correct?

It appears to be working as intended, but consider this noted. The formula could use an update.

GM Grejuva
Re: Ice adders 09/15/2015 04:57 PM CDT
Thank you for checking into it! I'd love to start hunting them before I outrank them. They're juuust in the right range for Dissect.

Thayet